Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

M. Night Skymall posted:

Does this work? https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfIRWPpeVJSCHSj37SE42y7AP9AemVxM5x73yobTCGsR8mECg/viewanalytics

I think the weirdest is that there are apparently so many playing normal/classic.

Yeah, perfect!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's also funny to make characters happy by saying what they want to hear. Going from one person and another and essentially giving them conflicting messages.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I got nearly everyone to A support and the game picked relationships for me I guess. Raphael and Hilda the bone breaking buddies got together. I liked the ending.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

rannum posted:

side note i praise my students every single time the prompt comes up in situations like that and I'm always a little sad that everyone bats it aside : (

Same, and you're a monster if you don't. :colbert: Everyone needs to know how talented they are. I'm like a protective mom when I play this game.

When a student tells me what a great teacher I am and I tell them that they're the great ones they never believe me!!!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Shocked how many people are playing Classic, I wonder if that's because "casual" is a bit of a dirty word?
I bet if it was "Easy" and "Normal" loads of people would be playing Normal even if that was the same difficulty as "hard".

But the most surprising part to me is how many people keep Byleth. What a poo poo name, especially for a woman!
And nothing shocks me more than how many people just go for default everything. Sword and all that. It's surprising. I guess I feel Edelgard is the most "default" romance for a male Byleth especially if they're in black eagles. Must be a fuckload of people who play Black Eagle doing Edelgard to make her 19% though since you can't romance her otherwise!

Black Eagle is obviously the most popular though because when you see those online rankings in-game it shows all the Black Eagle people and nobody else.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

I like when (early Blue Lions route spoiler)you get finished killing Ashe's adopted dad and apparently most of the villagers he grew up with, and then your only dialogue options when you speak with him later are two different versions of "Get over it".

I actually hated this because I really wanted to comfort the poor kid :( everyone is blaming his dad for being such a heretic and he needs a sympathetic ear.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Taear posted:

Shocked how many people are playing Classic, I wonder if that's because "casual" is a bit of a dirty word?
I bet if it was "Easy" and "Normal" loads of people would be playing Normal even if that was the same difficulty as "hard".

But the most surprising part to me is how many people keep Byleth. What a poo poo name, especially for a woman!

Black Eagle is obviously the most popular though because when you see those online rankings in-game it shows all the Black Eagle people and nobody else.

It's a poo poo name but I couldn't think of anything better!

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I hope we don't have to fight a lot of beasts because they're a pain in the rear end.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Taear posted:

And nothing shocks me more than how many people just go for default everything. Sword and all that. It's surprising. I guess I feel Edelgard is the most "default" romance for a male Byleth especially if they're in black eagles. Must be a fuckload of people who play Black Eagle doing Edelgard to make her 19% though since you can't romance her otherwise!

Remember its a Reddit opt in poll. Its going to skew a bit more towards 'hardcore gamerz' than a universal poll would.

I

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

playing classic is also much less of a commitment once you have 6+ charges of Divine Pulse lmao

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Honestly the only impression I have of Aloïs is that he's a big old goofy dad who likes to fish and tell awful dad jokes and so far he rocks. Maybe there's some sinister support conversation somewhere but if so I haven't seen it.

He's also an actual dad.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

It's a poo poo name but I couldn't think of anything better!

I guess both me and my girlfriend have a few names we always use when playing games, so I just use that. Bit of a shame you can't alter the look of the character.

Zore posted:

Remember its a Reddit opt in poll. Its going to skew a bit more towards 'hardcore gamerz' than a universal poll would.

This is true but if it was hardcore gamers you'd get more people doing "hard" surely.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Taear posted:

This is true but if it was hardcore gamers you'd get more people doing "hard" surely.

I think this thread is underestimating how many nerds play fire emblem for the story. The fire emblem subreddit is just flooded with fanart and character discussion right now.

e: Also, people assume that normal means the standard dev-intended route. I did that and ended up having to reset my save two hours in because I couldn't bump it up to a higher difficulty.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

With divine pulse, permadeath isn't really an issue. You'd have to get people killed enough for you to run out of pulse charges before your choice of classic or casual even matters, or just choose to not use pulse. I don't see any reason to use casual unless you're really bad at the game or don't want to use pulse.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Edie is great but i still cant get over the stupid rear end headdress like how did Hubert let you leave your room wearing that poo poo

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

I think Casual's just there because a lot of people are scared of permadeath or have the impression from the older games that Fire Emblem = reseting the game a hundred times. Being able to tell prospective players they don't need to deal with that if they don't want to is helpful.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Has anyone skipped to specific days before? Do you still go through the weeks of instruction or do you just go straight to the day?
I've been curious how a skip to the end playthrough (barring the parts where you cant do taht at all), or a no school playthrough in general, might shake out.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I uses pulses to remove bad levels.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Tired Moritz posted:

that's determined when you start the map tho

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

That literally doesn't work. Level ups are prerolled at the beginning of the battle to prevent this. The only way to reroll is to restart the battle.

(It's also to prevent the feeling that you're losing an awesome level by rewinding)

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Ive tried really hard not to rewind unless something catastrophic happens and i think i've finally struck the perfect difficulty (hard classic). I had lysithea die like immediately after i got her but oh well she sucked

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Gamerofthegame posted:

that's determined when you start the map tho

Amppelix posted:

That literally doesn't work. Level ups are prerolled at the beginning of the battle to prevent this. The only way to reroll is to restart the battle.

(It's also to prevent the feeling that you're losing an awesome level by rewinding)

Oh, I know. If someone gets a bad level, they get pulse'd and put on the bench for the rest of the map. Bad kids don't get to murder dudes with only one-two points levels.

Nyarlabaoth
Jul 12, 2017

Kinda spoilerish question about recruiting:

Can any of the poachable students die due to to plot-related reasons? I am figuring the students of the house you choose won't, but not so sure about the potential recruits. If so, does anyone know which ones? I don't mind the spoilers in this case since it would help me plan my poaching better (I dont wanna recruit somebody just for them to die anyways, I'd rather face them as an enemy instead)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Hellioning posted:

With divine pulse, permadeath isn't really an issue. You'd have to get people killed enough for you to run out of pulse charges before your choice of classic or casual even matters, or just choose to not use pulse. I don't see any reason to use casual unless you're really bad at the game or don't want to use pulse.

I like not worrying. Sometimes I just want to let a character die to deal damage to the boss or a beast or whatever and then they're fine after.
Plus I'm really good at accidentally not winding back to where I wanted and wasting pulses and etc.

It's just a less stressful way to play, for me.

In the same way as in things like Banner Saga I'd always turn off injuries if you fell in battle, it's too much faff and annoyance for me.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Taear posted:

And nothing shocks me more than how many people just go for default everything. Sword and all that. It's surprising.

The sword thing is pretty natural since the game pushes you to it by giving a big fuckoff sword usable only by Byleth after a few chapters.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Taear posted:

And nothing shocks me more than how many people just go for default everything. Sword and all that.

I'm doing this because I'm on my first playthrough and there are too many options, man :saddowns: the developers are probably better at this game than I am.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Nyarlabaoth posted:

Kinda spoilerish question about recruiting:

Can any of the poachable students die due to to plot-related reasons? I am figuring the students of the house you choose won't, but not so sure about the potential recruits. If so, does anyone know which ones? I don't mind the spoilers in this case since it would help me plan my poaching better (I dont wanna recruit somebody just for them to die anyways, I'd rather face them as an enemy instead)

Literally all of them

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Taear posted:

And nothing shocks me more than how many people just go for default everything. Sword and all that.

It's me I did this, I kept Byleth because as funny as it would be to name him Frank like I did in Persona 5 I just wasn't feeling it this time, as for the sword well the game made a huge fuss about giving you the awesome superweapon whip-sword that I just stuck with using the weapon type.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Zore posted:

Literally all of them

i think you misread the question, it's "literally none of them"

people on your side, poached or not, won't just drop dead due to plot reasons

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Considering how your name only exists on your name plate in dialog and menus, you may as well just call yourself "Professor"

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I dislike being able to rename Byleth because it means that everyone calls you professor, even the other professors, and it is strange.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

wow we stan a feminist queen in Lysithea, check out that Sylvain C support 😂

do you still get paralogues in the second half? I heard that Leonie and Linhardt have a paralogue together that gives a good bow, but I got Leonie kinda late

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Hellioning posted:

I dislike being able to rename Byleth because it means that everyone calls you professor, even the other professors, and it is strange.

Not a problem if you picked Xavier.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
One of the walkthroughs i checked to make sure i get the chance to kill ignatz just named their guy "gently caress" and thats a p good name imo

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Hellioning posted:

Byleth just sounds really poo poo for a woman to me. Robin fits both, but Byleth? Ugh.

Beekeeping and You posted:

I'm doing this because I'm on my first playthrough and there are too many options, man :saddowns: the developers are probably better at this game than I am.

I'm one of those people who sees that it's the default and automatically wants to go for something else I guess.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Carlosologist posted:

do you still get paralogues in the second half? I heard that Leonie and Linhardt have a paralogue together that gives a good bow, but I got Leonie kinda late

Yeah thats actually one of the ones in the second half

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I kept Byleth because I was thinking maybe people would say the default name but nope. :v:

Also is it just me or do wyverns look really bad this game? I don't remember them being this derpy in Warriors. ...I miss the old s wyverns.

Also swords are cool and since Edie has an axe I get to be the sword master.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I had lysithea die like immediately after i got her but oh well she sucked

what the gently caress

Carlosologist posted:

the pre and post skip ones are seperate and work differently. Pre-skip you only need one character of the two involved, post skip you need both. You can't do pre-skip ones after.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I am absolutely loving the poo poo out of this game. It's going to go down as my fave switch title, no doubt. Been trying to get into FE games for years but they couldn't hook me. This has grabbed me so hard!

One question though, and it's about advancing characters. Been reading online guides but I can't seem to find the exact answer.

Is it best to advance as many characters that you can through beginner--->intermediate--->advanced classes, or for some is it best to just wait pop them immediately into intermediate or advanced?

I understand that getting a class maxed out before "making the next step up" is desired due to gaining a special skill....I just didn't know if it was beneficial at all to have, like, a level 10 standard non-specialized character and having them go through and level up a beginner class before making them intermediate was better, versus just putting them into intermediate as soon as they are able to.

That make sense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

yeah, you want to promote as soon as possible. the beginner and intermediate classes don't really have as many skills that are worth having, so feel free to move up as soon as you have the weapon ranks

the only one you really want is the Mage skill which is +6 Mag when you initiate the attack, and Vantage from Merc. everything else you can live without