Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Flour tortillas: What's your ratio of lard to flour to water?

The first recipe I tried had 7 parts flour to 1 part lard to 2 parts hot water (1 3/4 cup flour mixed with 1/4 cup lard, plus 1tsp salt, and then 1/2 cup water).
Those tortillas turned out a bit dry, so I experimented with different ratios. Recently I made 1 part lard to 5 parts flour with 2 parts water. Salt to taste.
That ratio worked out really well for me. But I'm still a noob with tortillas. What proportions do you use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
Hey homies, got a few Qs on oils.

So, for years I've used California Olive Ranch for my everyday olive oil, and it has been great price vs quality. I'd like to branch out into some untoasted sesame, peanut, or other high-heat natural/unrefined oil, so I was wondering if anyone had a good recommendation for an analog for those oils; meaning, a good quality, preferably more direct producer that I can use for everyday stuff and doesn't break the bank. Especially if I can get it in glass or even bulk. I'm in the US.

Also, the posh fancy-oils shop had a good sale today and I picked up some black cumin oil. Any cool ideas for what to do with this? I'm thinking about mixing it into a tahini-lemon sauce for starters...

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
So I'm having a tooth extracted and replaced tomorrow, and need some suggestions for completely smooth soups. I'm in enough pain right now that I'm having trouble getting inspiration, so would love to borrow some.

I have a good blender, pretty high skill level and budget, so pretty much anything is on the table. Thoughts so far are a really good tomato bisque, a thicker Tom Kha, blended baked potato soup (bacon greese, not pieces). Anything warm, smooth and high-calorie is welcome.

Thanks goons.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

It’s summer, you should indulge in that greatest of soups, the Vichyssoise

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

soup is sorta a winter thing so for summer I'd make burgers or something and blend them with beer

excluding in season tomatoes ofc

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Consider other summer veg! Grill some corn, make stock with the cobs, puree the corn with the stock and some roasted summer squash. Get some roasted red peppers in there too.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Doom Rooster posted:

So I'm having a tooth extracted and replaced tomorrow, and need some suggestions for completely smooth soups. I'm in enough pain right now that I'm having trouble getting inspiration, so would love to borrow some.

I have a good blender, pretty high skill level and budget, so pretty much anything is on the table. Thoughts so far are a really good tomato bisque, a thicker Tom Kha, blended baked potato soup (bacon greese, not pieces). Anything warm, smooth and high-calorie is welcome.

Thanks goons.

Roasted cauliflower soup! There are a ton of recipes depending on your preferences (keto, vegan, lots of cheese, creamy, etc). It's easy to make it low cal so stick with the cheesey and creamy recipes for sure. (I'd give a recipe here but I've never had the cauliflower make it past the roasting stage in years as we were too taken by the smell to make it a soup.)

My husband has had a lot of extractions and implants, and the below is his favorite soup for those times. Add in heavy cream or coconut milk at the end to make it higher calorie.

Pumpkin Curry Soup

• 2x 15oz cans of plain pumpkin
  • 4C chicken or veggie broth/stock
  • .25C honey
  • 1 tsp table salt (more or less depending on if your stock is salted or not)
  • 1 tbs your favorite curry spice mix, more or less depending on your tolerance for it after oral surgery
  • Heavy whipping cream or coconut milk/cream to thicken/make pretty

Add all ingredients (save the cream) to a stockpot, mix, and heat until it is hot enough for you. (You can also use a Crockpot and leave it for a while instead.)

Add pretty swirls of cream when plating to make it a little thicker and get some calories in you.

(When you are ready for bread again, this goes great with rye!)

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Obviously gazpacho

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Scientastic posted:

It’s summer, you should indulge in that greatest of soups, the Vichyssoise

Perfection! I should absolutely thought of this, but I blame it on the searing pain.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

soup is sorta a winter thing so for summer I'd make burgers or something and blend them with beer

excluding in season tomatoes ofc

Appreciate the suggestion, and you are logically not wrong, but hard pass.

prayer group posted:

Consider other summer veg! Grill some corn, make stock with the cobs, puree the corn with the stock and some roasted summer squash. Get some roasted red peppers in there too.

Grilled corn soup is a fantastic idea, definitely doing that. Not a squash person, so gonna stick with corn and roasted red pepper. Thank you!

effika posted:

Roasted cauliflower soup! There are a ton of recipes depending on your preferences (keto, vegan, lots of cheese, creamy, etc). It's easy to make it low cal so stick with the cheesey and creamy recipes for sure. (I'd give a recipe here but I've never had the cauliflower make it past the roasting stage in years as we were too taken by the smell to make it a soup.)

My husband has had a lot of extractions and implants, and the below is his favorite soup for those times. Add in heavy cream or coconut milk at the end to make it higher calorie.

Pumpkin Curry Soup

• 2x 15oz cans of plain pumpkin
  • 4C chicken or veggie broth/stock
  • .25C honey
  • 1 tsp table salt (more or less depending on if your stock is salted or not)
  • 1 tbs your favorite curry spice mix, more or less depending on your tolerance for it after oral surgery
  • Heavy whipping cream or coconut milk/cream to thicken/make pretty

Add all ingredients (save the cream) to a stockpot, mix, and heat until it is hot enough for you. (You can also use a Crockpot and leave it for a while instead.)

Add pretty swirls of cream when plating to make it a little thicker and get some calories in you.

(When you are ready for bread again, this goes great with rye!)

Ooohhhhh, I would never have thought of this, but the coconut milk version of this sounds amazing. 1000% doing this one. Thanks!

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Obviously gazpacho

Great suggestion, but we had a glut of early tomatoes from the garden and had like 9 out of 12 meals as gazpacho a few weeks back, so still a little gazpacho'd out. Divine though.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Doom Rooster posted:

Thanks goons.

Not a soup, but on the two occasions I had multiple teeth removed the thing that I found easiest to eat that was filling was canned ravioli. You can basically cut it into pieces, carefully move it past where your tooth was, and swallow the pieces whole. Also most opiate painkillers cause constipation, so some fiber and extra water will help down the road.

Also, if you want the best ice-pack alternative you can make at home, mix equal parts water and rubbing alcohol, double bag it in freezer ziptop bags, and pop them in the freezer. It stays liquid at freezer temps so it's softer than frozen peas or whatever else you'd normally use.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

poeticoddity posted:

Not a soup, but on the two occasions I had multiple teeth removed the thing that I found easiest to eat that was filling was canned ravioli. You can basically cut it into pieces, carefully move it past where your tooth was, and swallow the pieces whole. Also most opiate painkillers cause constipation, so some fiber and extra water will help down the road.

Also, if you want the best ice-pack alternative you can make at home, mix equal parts water and rubbing alcohol, double bag it in freezer ziptop bags, and pop them in the freezer. It stays liquid at freezer temps so it's softer than frozen peas or whatever else you'd normally use.

That sounds terrible!

I do have a shameful, guilty love of canned ravioli that I almost never give in to. This is as great an excuse as any to indulge. Will do this, thanks!

That ice pack trick sounds like a pro tip though, thank you.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Obviously gazpacho

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Doom Rooster posted:

That sounds terrible!

I do have a shameful, guilty love of canned ravioli that I almost never give in to. This is as great an excuse as any to indulge. Will do this, thanks!

I had 23 teeth taken out a few years ago, and the first food I ate after the initial kefir/yogurt/protein shake period was scrambled eggs. I ate nothing but scrambled eggs for at least an entire week.

Also worth considering is saag. Maybe mashed potatoes too.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
holy gently caress

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Doom Rooster posted:

That sounds terrible!

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Doom Rooster posted:

Thanks goons.

poeticoddity posted:

Also most opiate painkillers cause constipation, so some fiber and extra water will help down the road.

Split pea soup for high calories and fiber

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Cucumber and avocado soup. Avocado, cucumber, tahini, coconut milk, plenty of dill, salt, black pepper. I use those English cucumbers, skin seeds and all. I use fresh dill, and the Chaokoh brand coconut milk. Thin it out with ice, and blend that whole thing until it’s completely puréed. I can legit down cup after cup of that stuff, and the bonus is that it’s got a decent hit of calories, which can be hard to get. When I had dental issues, the pain meds shot my appetite to utter poo poo, which wasn’t the greatest to begin with. So if I could get down any food, I had to make sure I was hitting those calorie counts.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
I misplaced a cookbook I wanted to use a while back, and I can't seem to find it again; I'm hoping someone might be able to help me remember what it was called, so that if worse comes to worst I can at least buy or order a replacement.

It was a beginner's cookbook, with 3 levels of recipes, that came in a 3-ring binder; it wasn't the "I Don't Know How To Cook Book", and it numbered the difficulty levels for the recipes, 1, 2, and 3. If I saw the book again I'd remember what it was, but without that I can't remember anything else for the life of me. Any ideas?

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Man my chicken stock became so rich and reduced, A+. Big tray of bones and scraps roasted under broiler, pressure cooker 2 hours with some veg and parmesan rinds. I ended up reducing it enough to fit in six cube one jumbo ice cube tray. Everything that didn't make it in that stuck to various vessels I just ate straight, yum.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Doom Rooster posted:

That sounds terrible!

Strong warning: do not liquify Chef Boyardee.

When I had jaw surgery and my jaw was wired shut, I couldn't eat ANY solids, but I had a craving for Chef Boyardee ravioli, something I hadn't had in a decade.

I made the mistake of putting it in a blender, and ended up with a bowl of greasy, somewhat gritty, extremely salty, "tomato soup", and literally cried with a combination of disgust and disappointment.

Also the crippling anxiety attacks from having my jaw wired shut but w/e

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

This belongs in the disaster thread but I had a friend bring over one of the huge jars of the Boy-ar-dee, he threw it on the stovetop and then added in some secret spices to enhance the flavor. When he was stirring everything together all the ravioli broke apart and my god it was horrible for the reasons above regardless of the added poo poo.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Similarly, blender pizza is a mistake. Trust me on this one.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Isn't that how they discovered vomit Jelly Bellies?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I was planning on grilling chicken tonight but my wife asked for pizza instead. I've had my chicken breasts in brine for about two hours.

If I intend to use them tomorrow, can I just take them out of the brine, give them a rinse and back in the fridge? Or should I go ahead and cook them tonight and reheat?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You can brine for a day

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Cook them and add onto the pizza.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

You can brine for a day

Okay thanks!

Leal posted:

Cook them and add onto the pizza.

I considered it but it would be way too much chicken.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Anyone have experience with souffles/souffle pancakes? I've been trying my hand at these and they look great literally until I lift the lid the last time and then they deflate in real time before my eyes, it's really discouraging.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Is ketchup a fine base for a quick bbq sauce, or am I better off using tomato sauce and thickening with molasses?

e: I am putting this on wings, if that makes any difference. Here is the base recipe I was thinking of building on.

Bluedeanie fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 3, 2019

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Bluedeanie posted:

Is ketchup a fine base for a quick bbq sauce, or am I better off using tomato sauce and thickening with molasses?

e: I am putting this on wings, if that makes any difference. Here is the base recipe I was thinking of building on.

I've been drinking a bit and your question made me contemplate making a line for autographs at a Beyoncé show and calling it the "Bey Bae Queue".

I'd go with the ketchup tbh.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Bluedeanie posted:

Some ketchup, a little mustard, some onion and garlic, some honey or brown sugar, and maybe some vinegar, white or apple, and simmer a bit. Taste throughout and fine tune as you go. Same can be done with tomato sauce but you may need a little more of the rest since ketchup is already sliced and sweetened a bit.

E. Oh yeah, add some spice. Peppers, hot sauces, whatever.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

So a month of fermentation later, and I have 2 bottles of pressed sauce, a half gallon of essentially "mango habanero sambal olek" and a gallon of leftover brine.

Some of the brine went into making the pressings into the sambal olek consistency, but is there anything worth doing with the rest? Or should I just pitch it?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Could probably use some in a marinade for something like really fatty pork maybe?

Or in weird bloody mary?

What does it taste like, just by itself?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

We usually reuse at least once, fermenting cukes or other peppers, but we usually don't have that much.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
While I can't think of something to do with the brine, I can think of something you can do with one of those bottles of sauce :v:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Brine is nice in marinades and just on salads and the like. It's like a salty vinegar almost.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Try drizzling it on a melon caprese

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Waci posted:

Could probably use some in a marinade for something like really fatty pork maybe?

Or in weird bloody mary?

What does it taste like, just by itself?

Its salty, sour, and spicy :v:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Find some way to use that in a stir fry, sounds amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Make potato salad, put some brine in