Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Making Hercules an Eternal in the movies wouldn't be all that surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

You'd think that would have come up last week when they announced the full cast. I love Herc but he's not a big enough character that they're keeping it under wraps.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Roth posted:

It would definitely confuse the poo poo out of people if the Eternals are meant to be completely distinct from mythological gods like Thor.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Roth posted:

Have you read Incredible Hercules? This is a minor plot early on in the run.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Rhyno posted:

Two years ago, and I don't remember what I had for dinner two days ago.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I always liked Herc but doesn't MCU Thor's personality kind of make him redundant

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I think Herc's popularity in the comics was always that he was the fun god next to Thor being the serious god.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I could see them blurring the line between Eternals and gods.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Eternals are more demigods than anything, no?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The mcu line is already pretty blurry, between the asgardians, elders, celestials and whatever else is out there.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

i havent read it, is he actually supposed to be an eternal? because i was under the impression that he definitely is part of the actual literal olympion pantheon

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

i havent read it, is he actually supposed to be an eternal? because i was under the impression that he definitely is part of the actual literal olympion pantheon

SPOILERS

Herc and Amadeus are on a quest and they run into the recently revived Eternals who think he is Gilgamesh. Ikaris and Herc fight while they try to convince Hercules that he isn't who he thinks he is. The Eternals end up being wrong

It's a great run, everyone go read it!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The Hercules/Eternals talk just makes me think of a badass scene from What If the Avengers Lost Galactic Storm. It's one of those What Ifs that gradually kills off most of the cast and there's a scene where a blind Hercules and Sersi are taking on an army of Kree soldiers with Herc telling her, "LET US SHOW THEM HOW IMMORTALS DIE!"

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/outmagazine/status/1156610232665010177

Jim the Nickel
Mar 2, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Sera time, baby 😎

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Retro Futurist posted:

You'd think that would have come up last week when they announced the full cast. I love Herc but he's not a big enough character that they're keeping it under wraps.

well, Sersi wasn't in the cast announcement either, nor are any of the Deviants, so you never know

but yeah, Hercules was just speculation based on a rumored set of character descriptions

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'd think Marvel would shy away from a character they don't 100% own the universal rights to.

Edit: Meaning the assorted versions of Hercules on tv and film.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I'd think Marvel would shy away from a character they don't 100% own the universal rights to.

Edit: Meaning the assorted versions of Hercules on tv and film.

You mean like Thor? They don't own the rights to the concept of Thor either.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vince MechMahon posted:

You mean like Thor? They don't own the rights to the concept of Thor either.

Fair, but Marvel Thor is far more defined than any other version and also, what versions have any sort of PC penetration? There was just a Hercules flick a couple years ago starring the Rock.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Barry Convex posted:

well, Sersi wasn't in the cast announcement either, nor are any of the Deviants, so you never know

but yeah, Hercules was just speculation based on a rumored set of character descriptions

Feels like that character description would apply to Gilgamesh, the way he was described at comic con.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Fair, but Marvel Thor is far more defined than any other version and also, what versions have any sort of PC penetration? There was just a Hercules flick a couple years ago starring the Rock.

Didn't that movie remove all supernatural elements and totally bomb?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mikeraskol posted:

Feels like that character description would apply to Gilgamesh, the way he was described at comic con.

Well hey
in the Incredible Hercules story I previously mentioned they slot Gilgamesh into Herc's past and they were mistaken for each other.

So that works.

Vince MechMahon posted:

Didn't that movie remove all supernatural elements and totally bomb?

And? That doesn't mean people forgot it. And there's always Hercules in New York.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
there was a hercules with the rock?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

Yeah it was awful but it happened. It looks like Paramount owns the rights to use the name in film right now so Marvel ever moved forward he'd never get a headlined film.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rhyno posted:

And? That doesn't mean people forgot it. And there's always Hercules in New York.

I don't think anyone remembers this movie. The one with the Rock. Hercules in New York is clearly a timeless classic.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Yeah it was awful but it happened. It looks like Paramount owns the rights to use the name in film right now so Marvel ever moved forward he'd never get a headlined film.

Wait. I don't think that's how it works.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That actually makes me think, I wonder if Disney has pursued the other classic action guys for roles since Stallone cameoed. I'd love to see Arnie pop up.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Ok, I'll do it. I was Peaseblossom in Midsummer Night's Dream when I was nine and Gaston's awful goblin from Beauty and the Beast when I was 16 so I've got the chops.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Hey SA comic book nerds, I only watch the movies. What character would this potentially be for?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the only trans woman in the marvel comic universe is Sera, the wife of Angela, so she would be the obvious choice. unless this is someone brand new

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's gonna rip if they bring in Angela too. Holy poo poo this flick could rule so hard.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Rhyno posted:

It's gonna rip if they bring in Angela too. Holy poo poo this flick could rule so hard.

If she does who gets the money, Gaiman?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He sold her to Marvel so he probably gets a creator credit and a decent royalty check.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

site posted:

the only trans woman in the marvel comic universe is Sera, the wife of Angela, so she would be the obvious choice. unless this is someone brand new

There's also, uh, Tong the moloid child, an adorable character from the Fraction/Allred FF. And, a quick google search unfortunately turns, up, two rapists who "turned trans" after being castrated by the Vulture, thanks a million Ron loving Zimmerman.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

site posted:

I never saw it, but from what I heard, the trailers and commercials showed all this badass, crazy fantasy stuff and then the movie shows it all in the first few minutes to go, "This is what people think Hercules did, but it's all exaggeration. Here's some mundane bullshit of what REALLY happened."

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Macaluso posted:

Hey SA comic book nerds, I only watch the movies. What character would this potentially be for?

Off the top of my head, the Jessicas I can think of are Jessica Jones and Jessica Drew and I don't think they would cast a trans actress for either of them. I mean, I would be fine with them casting a trans actress, but I don't see Marvel doing that.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Gavok posted:

I never saw it, but from what I heard, the trailers and commercials showed all this badass, crazy fantasy stuff and then the movie shows it all in the first few minutes to go, "This is what people think Hercules did, but it's all exaggeration. Here's some mundane bullshit of what REALLY happened."

It's also noteworthy for The Rock getting loving massive to play the role. Even by his own standards he was absolutely jacked.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He still does some silly stuff like push over a 100 foot statue and hiptoss a horse.

Jim the Nickel
Mar 2, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
The only other trans character in all of Marvel I can think of (besides those already mentioned) is Koi Boi. That seems.. a little low, Marvel. Maybe get on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

asecondduck posted:

Off the top of my head, the Jessicas I can think of are Jessica Jones and Jessica Drew and I don't think they would cast a trans actress for either of them. I mean, I would be fine with them casting a trans actress, but I don't see Marvel doing that.

iirc the Ultimate universe Jessica Drew had a lot of themes of gender dysphoria even though I don't think she identified as trans. Using that as inspiration could be interesting, but probably unlikely if they're using Jess in the Spider-Verse spinoff.