Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Raenir Salazar posted:

Well I've chipped in 25$ to the NDP.

drat dude, that's more than double the recommended amount, and I'm one of the 12 people who thinks Singh is fine and will come in a solid 3rd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/1156571589477052417

So, where we playing a drinking game and watching it?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Blood Boils posted:

drat dude, that's more than double the recommended amount, and I'm one of the 12 people who thinks Singh is fine and will come in a solid 3rd

I plan for 50$ total next week when I'm next paid; might donate 50$/paycheck until the election.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

bunnyofdoom posted:

https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/1156571589477052417

So, where we playing a drinking game and watching it?

With August coming up I guess it is time to actually get a new thread off the ground. I hope you're still down to suggest drinking game rules.

As far as where to watch the debate, I'm curious what other people here think. We could do a special TVIV thread for the debate if it seems like a lot of people actually want to watch in real time but if its just going to be like five of us half watching it on a laptop while doing something else then we can probably just do it here. I'm open to people's thoughts either way.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

There's enough of us capital city goons that we could probably meet at a pub but I'll take that over to the regional thread

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Arabian Jesus posted:

There's enough of us capital city goons that we could probably meet at a pub but I'll take that over to the regional thread

Depending on my work sched, I could also host a smaller gathering.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Liquor
Laughing at politicians
Poli-chat with people smarter than me
Actual live rabbit hopping around maybe

I'd bring a 40 to that

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

flakeloaf posted:

Liquor
Laughing at politicians
Poli-chat with people smarter than me
Actual live rabbit hopping around maybe

I'd bring a 40 to that

Like oh my god coming from Montreal I've never seen so many groundhogs and rabbits just being happy hopping around, Ottawa is a magical place of hopes and dreams!

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Raenir Salazar posted:

I plan for 50$ total next week when I'm next paid; might donate 50$/paycheck until the election.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

Like oh my god coming from Montreal I've never seen so many groundhogs and rabbits just being happy hopping around, Ottawa is a magical place of hopes and dreams!

I also actually have a pet rabbit too.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Haha but you see, by being a big spender I in return get a captive audience when they call me to know what my issues are and I get to force them to listen to me talk about my pet issues for several hours!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I'm gonna make two drinking games depending on if Mad Max is there.

For example.

If Max is Present
Max says the quiet part loud: Sip
Scheer attacks Max: Sip

If Max ain't there.
Scheer drops a dogwhistle: Sip
Scheer mentions milk: Sip
Scheer pulls out a glass of milk: Chug your drinks for as long as he does.

General:
Middle-Class: Sip
Mealy Mouth promises about Climate Change: Sip
Jagmeet says something actually insightful :Sip
Pipeline Promise: Sip and cry

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

bunnyofdoom posted:

General:
Middle-Class: Sip
Mealy Mouth promises about Climate Change: Sip
Pipeline Promise: Sip and cry

You are going to get alcohol poisoning

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

infernal machines posted:

You are going to get alcohol poisoning

Yeah, Trudeau alone is going to say "middle class" more than "umm". Need to add qualifiers to middle class.

Pretending working poor are middle class: sip
Pretending the idle rich are middle class: sip
etc...

You will still die of alcohol poisoning, but that is probably unavoidable.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
You might as well get started on your alcohol tolerance now because you're gonna need it after the election

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

This will never happen.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

xtal posted:

You might as well get started on your alcohol tolerance now because you're gonna need it after the election

I've been training my entire adult life.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Furnaceface posted:

So how long until Alberta declares Tim Hortons the enemy for not buying all their beef?

AFAIK the beef sandwiches have been delisted for months now. They were also complete poo poo when they were still being sold.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

bunnyofdoom posted:

more like

Jagmeet gives a mumbling fence sitting non-answer.

I actually like Singh but he needs to start giving simple concrete answers to questions instead of trying to play every side of an issue. His answers to BC LNG questions have been brutal to listen to.

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/ndp-proposes-expanding-capital-gains-tax-1.1237123

You're not paying attention.

makes noise about how jagmeet has no charisma

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

incontinence 100 posted:

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/ndp-proposes-expanding-capital-gains-tax-1.1237123

You're not paying attention.

makes noise about how jagmeet has no charisma

I found this huge ad the best part.

Canadian homeowners secured on real estate. Strap yourself to this subprime disaster waiting to happen!

less than three fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Aug 1, 2019

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

UnknownMercenary posted:

AFAIK the beef sandwiches have been delisted for months now. They were also complete poo poo when they were still being sold.

Like Furnaceface, I refuse to believe that this happened without Albertan outrage. Maybe the arena handout distracted everyone.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

less than three posted:

Canadian homeowners secured on real estate. Strap yourself to this subprime disaster waiting to happen!

The most Canadian investment strategy is to over pay for real estate, get a HELOC, and invest the HELOC into REITS. :canada: :galaxybrain:

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Like Furnaceface, I refuse to believe that this happened without Albertan outrage. Maybe the arena handout distracted everyone.

Yeah, this is puzzling, given the poo poo thrown at k.d. lang when she came out as a vegetarian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB0rPkeomtM

otoh she was backing PETA...

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

less than three posted:

Somewhat related, I draw a certain amount of schadenfreude from Bill Good's increasing desperation in the tone of Capital Direct TV ads. Feels like they have to update the ads weekly now, with increasingly insane reasons to take out a HELOC.

First it was the ad with all the loansharks sitting around a table bragging about how great the market was everyone needs an investment property, then the ad changed to the same loan sharks complaining about how people don't like the ads but the market is still amazing and you don't want to miss out, then "we heard you loud and clear about our ads" with just Bill Good, "The market is slowing down", "The market has slowed down", "The market is not good but interest rates are still low you want a new deck, right!?".

He's my canary in the coal mine.

I'm waiting for the day its just him in a disheveled suit, in a crumbling condo, screaming at the screen that Capital Direct is coming for him, buy now...please.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 1, 2019

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

less than three posted:

Do not trust the White Walkers to give sound investment advice IMHO.

Seriously what's up with that guy's eyes?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

PT6A posted:

Do not trust the White Walkers to give sound investment advice IMHO.

Seriously what's up with that guy's eyes?

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Dope I get to be a general. Imma march my army into the ocean.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Sigh

quote:

Greenland, home to the world's second-largest ice sheet, has faced a summer of extreme heat. It saw exceptionally high temperatures in July—and that was before a new heat wave arrived this week and pushed temperatures above freezing even at the research station at the very top of the Greenland Ice Sheet.

Now, the same heat dome that cooked Europe is forecast to raise temperatures in Greenland into the 70s Fahrenheit on parts of the coast, and the ice sheet is in the midst of one of its most extreme melts on record, said Xavier Fettweis, a climate researcher at the University of Liège. On July 30 and 31, more than half of the ice sheet had at least some melting at the surface, Denmark's research institutions reported on Polar Portal.

"The current melt rate is equivalent to what the model projects for 2070, using the most pessimistic model," Fettweis said. That melting has global implications—if Greenland's ice sheet were to melt entirely, it would result in about 20 feet of global sea level rise.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I'm not crazy, folks, as much as you want me to be.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Not content with the accurate and alarming description of the melt being "more than worst case 2070 - half the ice cap is melting a tiny bit on these record hot days", let's not end without going straight to "when 100% of the ice is gone, sea levels will rise 20 feet" on the alarmism dial.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Bad... James Bad

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Do you guys remember the peak of the SARS epidemic when everyone was scrambling for Tamiflu? And then the epidemic passes and then all of a sudden the CBC comments are raging about how the Ivory Tower Academics were overreacting and caused everyone to panic needlessly?

The climate emergency is pretty much the same thing except all the CBC commenters are already pre-emptively spewing nonsense about overraction.

This is what happens when a whole bunch of conservatives have the confidence to tell themselves that they know better than subject matter experts.

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Given that we're all facing an existential crisis with anthropogenic climate change and we're still fighting conservatives who are only interested in enriching themselves, I'd say we've got a pretty good reason to start a civil war for the good of our country and all humanity.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

incontinence 100 posted:

Given that we're all facing an existential crisis with anthropogenic climate change and we're still fighting conservatives who are only interested in enriching themselves, I'd say we've got a pretty good reason to start a civil war for the good of our country and all humanity.

A civil war will not stop climate change

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Trudeau, the progressive with access to top notch scientists is still building pipelines, we'll be fine. Elon Musk.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Fart Amplifier posted:

A civil war will not stop climate change

Couldn't hurt.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

apatheticman posted:

Couldn't hurt.

Ok well actually it would definitely hurt basically every liberal cause

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The US thread mods don’t allow climate news unless it is political. Maybe the same here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
A civil war would enable us to purge this country of climate change deniers thus streamlining the process of creating laws that will force corporations to meet their carbon emission obligations and shut alberta up forever about clean tar sands oil.