Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I am absolutely loving the poo poo out of this game. It's going to go down as my fave switch title, no doubt. Been trying to get into FE games for years but they couldn't hook me. This has grabbed me so hard!

One question though, and it's about advancing characters. Been reading online guides but I can't seem to find the exact answer.

Is it best to advance as many characters that you can through beginner--->intermediate--->advanced classes, or for some is it best to just wait pop them immediately into intermediate or advanced?

I understand that getting a class maxed out before "making the next step up" is desired due to gaining a special skill....I just didn't know if it was beneficial at all to have, like, a level 10 standard non-specialized character and having them go through and level up a beginner class before making them intermediate was better, versus just putting them into intermediate as soon as they are able to.

That make sense?

My personal feeling is that the Beginner classes abilities aren't really that good and losing out on them doesn't matter much (maybe in Hard, not on Normal)
Intermediate has much better powers and there's a few that I wouldn't want to lose, like the one for the Dark Mage.

So what I'm saying is switch to Intermediate as soon as you can, gently caress the abilities. But stay there until you can learn the ones from Intermediate unless it's becoming a serious struggle.

The statues will let you get 2 class points per attack and get you levelling the classes really drat fast if you make sure you pay the renown for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Also the more I see of Sylvain's supports the more I warm up to him. Same with Ferdinand, really. They both seem like they would be really obnoxious turds when you first meet them but they're really not.

Yeah, it's really great how much nuance and depth the cast have compared to some of the more recent entries in the franchise.

Judge Tesla posted:

Not a problem if you picked Xavier.

Or Farnsworth.

"Good news, everyone! Our mission this month is to help the Knights of Seiros slaughter a group of peasants for heresy, as a demonstration of what happens when you defy the church!"

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Even though it was probably obvious from the start, I'm so glad skills like Aegis and Astra made a return.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Are these Rare Monster battles just filler?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Andrast posted:

Pretty much though they're usually higher level so they can be good for EXP.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Judge Tesla posted:

Not a problem if you picked Xavier.

I know you mean Professor X but my mind immediately went to Xavier: Renegade Angel and that's a funnier mental image

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Andrast posted:

All rare monster battles I've done have had a monster that drops a rustead weapon which can be forged into one of the legendary weapons from the previous Fire Emblems.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

not a bot posted:

All rare monster battles I've done have had a monster that drops a rustead weapon which can be forged into one of the legendary weapons from the previous Fire Emblems.

I've done one that was like that and one that turned into a Silver Sword.
One that I could only forge when I hit B+ professor rank.

Such a tease :argh:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

McTimmy posted:

Pretty much though they're usually higher level so they can be good for EXP.

I should probably skip this one then since if anything I'm getting overleveled (and I have paralogues to do anyway)

Andrast fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 31, 2019

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Well, upon finishing the February battle all I have to say is, uh, that's some good grip strength you've got there, Dimitri. And wow do we need to get you some therapy.

Also regarding Dimitri, if you're playing Blue Lions make sure you get his and Felix's B support, as it gives you what is basically a souped up silver sword - it can be further forged too (ultimately becoming a 16 Mt, 8 Wt sword not tied to crests).

Nyarlabaoth
Jul 12, 2017

Zore posted:

Literally all of them

dmboogie posted:

i think you misread the question, it's "literally none of them"

people on your side, poached or not, won't just drop dead due to plot reasons

Thanks! I can go on a recruiting spree without any worries then.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Taear posted:

I've done one that was like that and one that turned into a Silver Sword.
One that I could only forge when I hit B+ professor rank.

Such a tease :argh:

You can check it before the battle to decide if it's worth it or not. Accept the battle, check the map, press X on monster and X again to get details. Select the rusted weapon and it will tell you what it can be forged to. If it's crap, just leave the battle screen and do another battle instead.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Lord Koth posted:

Well, upon finishing the February battle all I have to say is, uh, that's some good grip strength you've got there, Dimitri. And wow do we need to get you some therapy.

The counselor at Garreg Mach deserves the best compensation imaginable given the entire student body

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

not a bot posted:

You can check it before the battle to decide if it's worth it or not. Accept the battle, check the map, press X on monster and X again to get details. Select the rusted weapon and it will tell you what it can be forged to. If it's crap, just leave the battle screen and do another battle instead.

Thank you for that!
I had no idea. I know you can check what the enemy drops but not that you could go further with it like that.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Carlosologist posted:

yeah, you want to promote as soon as possible. the beginner and intermediate classes don't really have as many skills that are worth having, so feel free to move up as soon as you have the weapon ranks

the only one you really want is the Mage skill which is +6 Mag when you initiate the attack, and Vantage from Merc. everything else you can live without

What about Death Blow from Brigand.

Everyones Favorite Poster
Dec 6, 2017

:toot:
probably a dummy question but as someone who really enjoys tactical rpg gameplay (disgaea) but really hates anime (also disgaea) and romance sim stuff should i get Fire Emblem? is the game still fun if i generally just skip through the story stuff?

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

The counselor at Garreg Mach deserves the best compensation imaginable given the entire student body

See, now I want a spin-off game from the perspective of a counselor at this hell school.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

ROFL Octopus posted:

What about Death Blow from Brigand.

totally forgot about that! another good skill

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Lorenz is pretty handy with a spear and fire magic. He wants to focus on horse and spear but is there anything I can put him with to utilize the magic as well as the physical?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Everyones Favorite Poster posted:

probably a dummy question but as someone who really enjoys tactical rpg gameplay (disgaea) but really hates anime (also disgaea) and romance sim stuff should i get Fire Emblem? is the game still fun if i generally just skip through the story stuff?

game's good, and romance sim stuff is technically there but very downplayed

the story and character writing is genuinely touching and compelling (and not very """anime""") so i'd recommend giving it an honest shot before you start skipping through it

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Hey so important question for Black Eagle 2/8

Edgelgard wants me to go with her to Enbar, I know about the route split and the giant DRASTIC CHANGE warning is on screen. If I say I must stay can I save a new file and make the choice again?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

dmboogie posted:

the story and character writing is genuinely touching and compelling (and not very """anime""") so i'd recommend giving it an honest shot before you start skipping through it

It's very anime

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Kingtheninja posted:

Lorenz is pretty handy with a spear and fire magic. He wants to focus on horse and spear but is there anything I can put him with to utilize the magic as well as the physical?

Holy or Dark Knight seems like a good path to take him on

I just got to the end of Chapter 12 of the Black Eagles: Edelgard's plan of going to kill religion and create a meritocracy seems cool, Rhea turning into a dragon is nuts, can't wait to see what the chaos route is gonna do. I got a good laugh out of Hubert teleporting in like every good dark mage should

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Edgelgard wants me to go with her to Enbar, I know about the route split and the giant DRASTIC CHANGE warning is on screen. If I say I must stay can I save a new file and make the choice again?

nope, you've gotta make a separate save before that

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Nope if you say no she goes by herself

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I’m playing on normal mode and I saw there are some battles that don’t take time. Can I just repeatedly grind those out for money/experience?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Just go with her, that choice isn't the one that determines the route split: it just lets you CHOOSE which route you get later.

Andrast posted:

It's very anime

well, yes, but not in the sort of way that people mean when they say they don't like anime :v:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mordiceius posted:

I’m playing on normal mode and I saw there are some battles that don’t take time. Can I just repeatedly grind those out for money/experience?

yeah that's one of the way normal mode is easier

Everyones Favorite Poster
Dec 6, 2017

:toot:

dmboogie posted:

a little hopeful; i guess the better question is do i need to give a poo poo about the story/characters to really enjoy the game? i don't mind tolerating a story wrapped around my brilliant strategery but if it's pretty integral to the fire emblem experience i should probably pass.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If you're asking multiple times in a row if the characters matter, you should not buy this game

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Minus Green posted:

See, now I want a spin-off game from the perspective of a counselor at this hell school.

that's just this game based on all the expository b-supports

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

a little hopeful; i guess the better question is do i need to give a poo poo about the story/characters to really enjoy the game? i don't mind tolerating a story wrapped around my brilliant strategery but if it's pretty integral to the fire emblem experience i should probably pass.

idk man, that's so completely alien to what i want out of media that im not sure i can give you a satisfying answer

like i enjoy the strategy gameplay, it's satisfying and has a decent amount of depth to it (esp. with how much you can customize your units) but it's not in any way the selling point for me. the game puts a lot of effort into fleshing out the characters, and if you're not interested in engaging with that, everything else might feel kinda bare-bones??

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Fire Emblem is so head and shoulders above Disgaea in terms of actual SRPG gameplay that if you can stomache the atomic-grade anime in disgaea this will be a piece of cake

Just emulate the GBA games instead though they both have more tactical depth and they emulate 90s anime instead, which is never what people mean when they say they hate anime

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

It's still pretty character driven.

So uh...maybe? Idk.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

don't buy it

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Hey, just wanted to let everyone know that you should definitely start playing hide and seek with your online visitors if you aren't already. I'm not entirely sure how the rewards are determined, but earlier I got a really cool battalion that gives boosts to both attacking stats and a boatload of hit, with a gambit that grants adjacent allies a one time guaranteed miracle effect.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

But that would mean I'd have to go online and hear 'Thank you!' from the black eagles every time I need to load a combat map.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Taear posted:

My personal feeling is that the Beginner classes abilities aren't really that good and losing out on them doesn't matter much (maybe in Hard, not on Normal)
Intermediate has much better powers and there's a few that I wouldn't want to lose, like the one for the Dark Mage.

Eh, even on Hard, the master abilities usually aren't anything too special until advanced classes. There's are a handful of intermediate classes with good ones, though (like Mage).

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Definitely going offline for next route, the yellow and purple tiles are way too good and are probably responsible for half the exp I've gotten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm glad normal mode is easier because I don't think I'm in the proper mental space to fully immerse myself in these systems and I just want to be able to smash my action figures together without being perfect in how they are trained.