Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

KidDynamite posted:

holy poo poo quitting is awesome. also manager tried to tell me i have to give to weeks because hr requires that when i said i was leaving friday. i was like yeah no i'm leaving friday.

hell yeah that fuckin owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i swear it's the hardest drat thing to explain to people who have never worked in a dysfunctional software company that they do in fact exist

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Gazpacho posted:

i swear it's the hardest drat thing to explain to people who have never worked in a dysfunctional software company that they do in fact exist

hang on what is the counter example

i haven't worked in a functional software company yet

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

get your object oriented companies outta here

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Gazpacho posted:

I wouldn't recommend anybody actually go out of their way to work in a completely dysfunctional company with people getting away with murder essentially, but working in a company like that did open my eyes big time. It makes you appreciate how nice it is to be surrounded by people who actually know what the gently caress they're doing, or at least earnestly trying to know, so it's not just you all the time picking up the massive amounts of technical debt.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

microsoft. honestly.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Gazpacho posted:

microsoft. honestly.

is f# used that extensively internally?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

I’ve worked in a functional software company. biggest problem is they got bought out by private equity and went to absolute poo poo. so even when you find a good one, it’s not gonna last.

new job (start the 12th!) seems to be a great place, and I’ve got a lot of friends inside already telling me it’s great. here’s hoping.

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

“What are some things you wish you could change about your current job?”

More open mouth kissing.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

bitchtard posted:

“What are some things you wish you could change about your current job?”

More open mouth kissing.

This is one of the more benign questions. I've had interviewers ask me things like "why do you think your girlfriend is with you" and "what do your friends see in you?"

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Boiled Water posted:

This is one of the more benign questions. I've had interviewers ask me things like "why do you think your girlfriend is with you" and "what do your friends see in you?"

“nunya”

“what?”

“nunya goddamn business”

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

EVGA Longoria posted:

I’ve worked in a functional software company. biggest problem is they got bought out by private equity and went to absolute poo poo. so even when you find a good one, it’s not gonna last.

new job (start the 12th!) seems to be a great place, and I’ve got a lot of friends inside already telling me it’s great. here’s hoping.

I’ve woeked some places that were pleasant or inoffensive, but “functioning” is a bridge too far

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Boiled Water posted:

"why do you think your girlfriend is with you"

only proper response here is to imply that your gf is the interviewer's ex and she left him over dick size

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Boiled Water posted:

lol what the gently caress

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Boiled Water posted:

I might seriously ask to talk directly to the hr person again if someone asked this

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Ruggan posted:

“nunya”

“what?”

“nunya goddamn business”

bofa

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Captain Foo posted:

silvergoose posted:

I might seriously ask to talk directly to the hr person again if someone asked this

needless to say the interview ended there. Even worse it was an interview for an internal position. Or maybe even better because now I know their department head is a nutcase

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Send a fun email to your HR?

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum
I had an interviewer grill me on college for some dumb reason. #1 i graduated 14 years ago, #2 in a major completely unrelated to computer touching. I couldn't even remember any of the names of my professors. I played a lot of ultimate frisbee though!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

I had an interviewer grill me on college for some dumb reason. #1 i graduated 14 years ago, #2 in a major completely unrelated to computer touching. I couldn't even remember any of the names of my professors. I played a lot of ultimate frisbee though!

But was your team name as cool as Brownian Motion??

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

silvergoose posted:

no i use it solely to describe your posts

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

I like interviews like that because it makes it very clear that the company and interviewer have no real hiring process and are just reading off a script.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

see my posts in the cjs thread. got a promotion i didn’t expect and boss is receptive to giving a raise. interesting development

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Rex-Goliath posted:

see my posts in the cjs thread
https://twitter.com/dril/status/922321981

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

CEO did this to me once, tried to use my decade old UK grades (which by the way are forcibly bell curved around 60-70 ish by the universities there) as leverage in salary negotiations.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm so goddamned close to having a job I can almost taste it. HR interview tomorrow

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

spoke with a recruiter who wanted two references so he could do a “quick” 15 minute interview with them. Before submitting me anywhere. I don’t know who the gently caress hates their references enough to say yes to that.

I assume the recruiters are doing it because references will feel obligated to help out their friends and the recruiters can take the opportunity to sell a used car or whatever it is they do

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
last day today :toot:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Scott Baio Nudes posted:

tomorrow is gonna be one of the best days of your life

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Scott Baio Nudes posted:

:hellyeah:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Gazpacho posted:

microsoft. honestly.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

*pause for breath*

bwhahahahhahahahhahahahahaha

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

bitchtard posted:

spoke with a recruiter who wanted two references so he could do a “quick” 15 minute interview with them. Before submitting me anywhere. I don’t know who the gently caress hates their references enough to say yes to that.

I assume the recruiters are doing it because references will feel obligated to help out their friends and the recruiters can take the opportunity to sell a used car or whatever it is they do

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Fiedler posted:

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

*pause for breath*

bwhahahahhahahahhahahahahaha
:wrong:

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum

silvergoose posted:

I went to umass, so no absolutely not.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

after sleeping on it i think i'm just gonna accept the offer when i get home and only continue pushing for the raise if my boss brings it up. i made it clear that i was underpaid and HAVE been underpaid since i started and getting back 'hopefully it'll be fixed in six months' isn't acceptable.

it's a real shame because all other aspects about working here have been great and would be enough to get me to overlook a pay gap but not one this severe

ah well

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Rex-Goliath posted:

after sleeping on it i think i'm just gonna accept the offer when i get home and only continue pushing for the raise if my boss brings it up. i made it clear that i was underpaid and HAVE been underpaid since i started and getting back 'hopefully it'll be fixed in six months' isn't acceptable.

it's a real shame because all other aspects about working here have been great and would be enough to get me to overlook a pay gap but not one this severe

ah well

lol, your boss isn’t going to bring up anything. your silence is your implicit acceptance.

consider reducing your productivity until you are suitably compensated. go see a movie after lunch.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i'm on what's essentially an all-expenses paid extended vacation in singapore soo :shrug:

edit: also yeah during our call i made it clear that six months was too long and that if he could speed up the process he should. he responded by saying he'd do what he could but to not jump ship without reaching out to him first. i took that as him saying 'yeah we can speed this up but won't unless you threaten us even more explicitly'

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 2, 2019

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Walked out at 10 after waiting around for my manager to come collect my laptop and stuff. never showed so I just left. trash company is trash. also some goober responded to my exit email with don't send out spam so i trolled him for a while. ended with him threatening to report me to HR :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
lol who the gently caress