Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Calibanibal posted:

Debates are stupid and also Trump definitely didn't win them. He sucks at debates, which are dumb

president jeb! :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jaxyon posted:

Throwing red meat to his base was something he was already doing. It didn't move the needle on non-white voters because they weren't willing to overlook his racism in favor of his faux populism.

Hillary said the right thing for a lot of her voters as well.

Debates are stupid.

Yeah, from what I recall Hillary got a polling bump after every debate but it always evaporated after a couple weeks and the candidates regressed to their mean.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

For the same reason I don't vote for a third party in the general election? If my choices are Evil (won 24 states) and Lesser Evil (also won 24 states) and Best Candidate (hasn't performed above 10% in any primary) I'm going to vote for Lesser Evil.

Why pre-metagame your strategic voting to this insane a degree?

I just don't get it, at all, and I never will.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/TimRyan/status/1156610596579753984?s=20

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

WampaLord posted:

Why pre-metagame your strategic voting to this insane a degree?

I just don't get it, at all, and I never will.

You make it sound like I'm going to be doing something more complicated than just comparing a list of "Who can I live with?" against one of "Who is still in it?" the day of the primary.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, from what I recall Hillary got a polling bump after every debate but it always evaporated after a couple weeks and the candidates regressed to their mean.

Most people agree that the two best candidates in last night's debate won it.(Bernie, Warren).

I think they did too. Also debates don't really do much. Anybody who enjoys them beyond a passing burn or two and thinks they matter can be laughed at.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

You make it sound like I'm going to be doing something more complicated than just comparing a list of "Who can I live with?" against one of "Who is still in it?" the day of the primary.

I'm just going to vote for Bernie, you have fun figuring out whatever you're gonna figure out.

It sounds overly complicated

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

WampaLord posted:

I'm just going to vote for Bernie, you have fun figuring out whatever you're gonna figure out.

It sounds overly complicated

I hope Bernie is still doing well enough by the time you vote then.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/jennydeluxe/status/1156376635886788609

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

HootTheOwl posted:

I hope Bernie is still doing well enough by the time you vote then.
Here is your problem:

HootTheOwl posted:

The concept of "well enough" to change your preferred candidate is an insanely complicated decision. If the election is completely locked down you might as well not vote. If it's still mathematically open you got to figure out how many votes are still out there, which way are they likely to break, are those votes super nerds like you who will base their vote on how the previous votes went. This is in no way a simple calculation, and the only reason to do it is to justify voting for a worse candidate. Don't do it! Just vote for the best candidate!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

twodot posted:

The concept of "well enough" to change your preferred candidate is an insanely complicated decisio

It's really not.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That Tweet ratio is the most attention Tim Ryan will get in this race

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

I didn’t think anyone could be more pathetic than Delaney and then here comes Ryan with this

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm honestly not convinced Ryan didn't just slip over from Veep or Parks & Rec's universes.

Between Williamson, him, and Bullock honestly half the time that debate just felt like parody.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

this is the most cucked campaign since ¡Jeb!

e: just lmao at the comments being one endless scroll of chaos dunk

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 31, 2019

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

HootTheOwl posted:

It's really not.

Yeah, it's Bernie.

If Bernie is getting no delegates he'll drop out, because he likes Warren.

Can't say i'm sure that Warren would do the same, but i'd like to think so.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The answer that no one wants to accept is that debates do matter, but they aren't the only thing that matters. For instance, the FBI director telling the world that your opponent is once again under investigation tends to overshadow your performing like a coked up chimp in the debates.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I was at first a little disappointed that Sanders and Warren were sharing the stage without Biden, but I think this outcome actually turned out ideal.

They'll have their chance to attack Biden in later debates but for now being the stars of the show and just dunking on conservative dweebs like Delaney and Ryan and shredding their policies and talking points is a good outcome.

Glasses Optional
Apr 23, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Uglycat posted:

Many of you know me, but for those that don't...

I'm an antifa super-soldier from South Bend, Indiana. I'm tight with many of the local BLM and New Black Panther folk. I occupied here, in 2011, and our local occupy built a hell of a local politics machine. Pete was elected in nov 2011, just as the cold ran us off from camp. At the time, I worked as a concierge at the hotel on Notre Dame campus - I was the first person someone visiting the campus would encounter, if they were staying at their expensive fancy full-service independent hotel. While I was there, I got really good at customer service because I wanted people to walk away from the desk happy so I could get back to this forum. I studied philosophy and psychology at the public state university's local satellite campus, graduating in '05. In '08, #OpChanology became a thing, and (for my involvement, where two other goons and I created enturbulation.org and established functioning moderation policies, while engaged in high-level strategizing on how to defeat a cult) I was recruited to the hacker team #Marblecake by Gregg Housh. When I stepped down from marblecake (where I would have been described as 'writefag' and 'strategist'), Barrett Brown took over the role.

After occupy, I quit my job. I was given a camera and a bicycle. I spent half a decade living in this city (with Pete as mayor) couch surfing, photographing *everything*, posting it all public on FB, and building the culture here (and weaving the social network here as tight as I could get it, so everyone knows everyone).

further backstory - I graduated from St. Joseph High School in '98 (just before joining SA). Pete graduated in '00 - he mentions my brother's commitment to service in his valedictorian address. This is the same high school that produced governor Joe Kernan - who lives about a block from the food co-op I'm typing this at. Kernan was groomed for a possible run for President, as was Mitch Daniels and Mike Pence. Kernan never ascended beyond governor, but Pete was raised in his legacy.

Pete's parents were both professors at Notre Dame. One of the cool things about South Bend is that it's a place for people to solve the 'two body problem.' If you haven't heard of it, there's this thing where people find their passion in undergrad, get accepted to a top-tier grad school, meet a mate that shares their peculiar and specific passion, the 'two bodies' graduate, and post-doc work is the next thing on their list. At this point, it's extremely difficult for the (now married) post-docs to find work in the same geographic location. Often, one partner drops out of academia.

In South Bend, we have the University of Notre Dame, we have IU South Bend (my alma mater), we have Bethel College, we have St. Mary's college, we have the parochial school system, a decent(ish) public school system, a variety of community colleges and trade schools, etc - to say nothing of our top-of-the-line library system. It's a place for academicians to eke out a family life together. Pete is from this background. I am too.

When he took over as Mayor, it was on him to appoint a new chief of police. He chose a black man from the South Bend Police ranks, a man born not far from here, a man that has lived here much of his life. Chief Boykins.

When Chief Boykins took over, it was his prerogative to change the police station's wiretaps. Boykins did nothing with the wiretaps, leaving them just as they were before he was made chief. One of those existing wiretaps - on outgoing calls from the police station - is extremely illegal in a 'feds will investigate your deparment' sort of way.

Karen DePape, the communications director for the SBPD, had access to the tapes the machine was gathering. Some white pd were racist toward some black pd (and toward the chief). A tape was recorded of white officers referring to boykins (allegedly?) as a 'monkey' and a 'friend of the family.' Those tapes were brought to DePape's attention, and she sent them to the FBI (without talking to Pete's office). The FBI looked 'em over and said 'holy poo poo, that's hugely illegal, you can't tap the outgoing calls from the police station, if you don't fire the chief of police we will begin a federal investigation.' It was made clear at the time that if Pete ever listened to those tapes, he'd be subject to the federal investigation, and it would be bad enough for him to be removed from office in disgrace and his political career would be over. He has never listened to the tapes.

After Pete fired Boykins (I was there on the million hoodie march in south bend the morning Boykins was fired, and Boykins gave his final address to the crowd at the end of the march - I drove home, looked up the news coverage, and boykins' resignation had just hit the news then).

Then the Feds told pete he had to fire DePape too, and that if he does the investigation will be put to bed.

Obviously, this outcome is not in the least bit satisfying to the many brilliant, politically active african american residents. Efforts were made by some people - not all acting in good faith - to use this to attack him as he ran for re-election. He was re-elected with overwhelming support.

I've been an advocate for homeless rights in this town, and spent a good amount of time homeless in this town before I went travelling. I've lived in tents. Right now, I live on a bus that's operated by an OG Zuccotti Park occupier - the bus is parked in view right now, as I look out from the Purple Porch Food Co-op.

I first met the operator of this bus at the DNC in Philly - where I chalked 'KaineButtigieg2020' on the sidewalk following Hillary's nomination. Since then, I spent 3 months at Standing Rock, 2 months in Flint, some time in the Black Hills, the Inauguration (where I tore off my clothes and took a face and dick full of pepper spray to stop a line of riot cops from advancing) and I've helped with a dozen or so intentional communities.

Pete has flaws, for sure. But he's one of the most progressive mayors in the country as well. And mayors in the country are nowhere near progressive enough. He employs the very latest in 'evidence-based best practices', but best practices for mayors still involves some really dumb turn-of-the-century bullshit like bulldozing homeless camps and having a police force /at all/.

Oh yeah, Pete's dad - who recently passed away - taught marxist literature at Notre Dame, and was often the first signature (alphabetically) on protest letters to the Administration from Tenured professors.

He is a troop. I don't care for troops. He's a statist (obvs), I'm an anarchist. He's not perfect. I participated in the 1000-homes-in-1000-days thing, nobody bulldozed black people's homes while they lived in 'em. I lived in that part of town growing up - I was the poor white kid that got to go to parochial school for free. My paper route was in the heart of the blighted west side. When we began the program, we identified the thousand blighted abandoned houses, and efforts were made to reach out to the owners. I place signs outside each of those structures (well, there was a team, and I covered a chunk of the city) with yard signs that said 'hey this house seems to be abandoned if you have any interest in it or want to take it over get at us' and each house had a unique 2-d bar code. That part of town was immensely improved for the efforts.

Downtown is a story of gentrification, and I've been a voice in the ear of the administration and the land developers warning against the consequences of gentrification. I saw what's happening in Flint, and the horrible natural progression of gentrification in a capitalist city is playing out a lot less horribly here than there. And it's horrible.

The problems being put at Pete's feet are real problems. Cities are divided. Racism is real. Black Lives Matter. Gentrification sucks. There's the Combined Sewer Overflow problem. There's homeless folk hanging about on the south side of downtown, sleeping under awnings and using the library's internet while asking workers for spare change. There's a heroin epidemic.

Pete hasn't solved any of this, but he's keenly aware of them and seeking creative solutions. Ideologically, he's not anti-capitalist anarchist - but I think he's sympathetic to antifascism. He still fails to see Chelsea Manning as a hero, and thinks Snowden is the same flavor of awful person that Julian Assange is. If there's anybody that knows that Trump is bad for American cities, it's him. If there's anybody intimately familiar with the challenges of running a city government, it's him. And he's looking to do good, and to change the status quo.

He's definitely not a sociopath. He is a white dude with a mostly white cabinet. Which, again, is a cultural thing that must be challenged and changed. The Police here sucks - but they suck anywhere. In truth, having been a homeless man in a variety of cities over the last 2 years, South Bend is one of the nicest (which isn't saying much), and I'm presently squatting a 34-foot schoolbus (painted at Standing Rock) in the middle of the city, and nobody's giving me /poo poo/ for it. 'course, me an' the crew are all white.

So, yeah. I'm as intimately familiar with Pete the man, and the city of south Bend, as you'll /ever/ meet. And I've spent the last 8 years working to build him up as a viable candidate for the presidency - so in a sense he does have someone on this forum whispering in his ear, insofar as I post a lot on FB and he sees all of my (very radical) posts.

If Bernie were not in the race, Pete would be my man - but I did make a pledge (when it was hillary v. trump) not to endorse any candidate for president that doesn't regard Chelsea Manning as a hero. I'm still firm on that resolve - but it does matter to me which way the wind blows. I know that Pete would be a much better president than Biden, much much better than Trump. They say 'never let the perfect be the enemy of the good', and pete's imperfect for sure (though not deserving of the weakly-informed vitriol in this thread). But so far as dem candidates goes, he's one of the 'good' ones.

Bernie 2020! (still wish /he'd/ call Chelsea a hero :-/)

So i was doing research on what other goons said, and then this post comes and makes me call into question the other negative stuff being said about Bootlejugs.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
https://twitter.com/MattLaslo/status/1156613134272126978?s=20

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Was anyone actually able to take in anything Bullock said, because I got about as far as "Trump won my home state, so" and then all I could think about was that he sounded like a South Park impersonation of himself

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/buttpraxis/status/1156632605208399874?s=21

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Mayor Pete retroactively wins the debate.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Jaxyon posted:

Throwing red meat to his base was something he was already doing. It didn't move the needle on non-white voters because they weren't willing to overlook his racism in favor of his faux populism.

Hillary said the right thing for a lot of her voters as well.

Debates are stupid.

Voters in Michigan were not Trump's "base" they were supposed to be bricks in the Blue Wall that made his victory impossible.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lmao

https://twitter.com/nkulw/status/1156626391938609152

quote:

Sarah Vowell (3/10) — When Senators Warren and Sanders dismissed legitimate critiques of their similar health plans, particularly the radical proposal of abolishing private health insurance, as “Republican talking points,” I was enraged to a degree that I cannot adequately describe in a family newspaper. An apology would be nice.

is she trolling? every answer in here is bizarre.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

lmao

Who is Sarah Vowell and who engineered her to scientifically suck maximum rear end

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Groovelord Neato posted:

lmao

Liz Mair (5/10) — Sanders made the same mistake Warren did: punching down. But he’s also far less policy fluent than she is, and he gets a lower mark as a result. Like Warren, Sanders got fairly pinned on banning private health insurance and no one other than unions will like his trade answer. I’m also convinced the “yelling grandpa” act is beginning to wear thin, and it was very much on display tonight.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Jaxyon posted:

Trump looked like a lost moron at the debates, and also whomever "slaughtered" whomever debates is always just who you thought was going to win and debates are meaningless.

But yeah, President Word Salad Brainworms really cleaned up in the debate format.

Sorry to disagree. Trump's walking to Clinton was masterful and Clinton missed the opportunity of a lifetime to say ...

"No, Mr. Trump ... don't even try to grab MY PUSSY."

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it rules how the worst dems get glowing reviews from stephens and mair.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goethe.cx posted:

Who is Sarah Vowell and who engineered her to scientifically suck maximum rear end

She wrote a supposedly OK book about assassinated Presidents I never read, contributes annoying sections to This American Life, and is Violet in the Incredibles. And apparently is either a complete moron or is hugley trolling the NYT Opinion section. Either way, it's dumb

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Marxalot posted:

Well, kinda?

look how clean that all is. tells you everything.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Groovelord Neato posted:

it rules how the worst dems get glowing reviews from stephens and mair.
I mean one of those is a Republican and one is a Tory so I can’t imagine why

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Marxalot posted:

Well, kinda?

lol why did he dress up like this when he was in finance, did he fuckin borrow a dude's uniform for this

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

loquacius posted:

Was anyone actually able to take in anything Bullock said, because I got about as far as "Trump won my home state, so" and then all I could think about was that he sounded like a South Park impersonation of himself

He was presenting himself as electable by virtue of being a successful Democrat in a state Trump won. Some of that worked. I would personally say he didn't do a great job of presenting himself beyond that point bar his disconcerting stance on nukes.

Failed Imagineer posted:

She wrote a supposedly OK book about assassinated Presidents I never read, contributes annoying sections to This American Life, and is Violet in the Incredibles. And apparently is either a complete moron or is hugley trolling the NYT Opinion section. Either way, it's dumb

I used to read her books. The Assassins one was fun. Her essays are fair to middlin'. She struck me as being to the left of center, but closer to the center than to, say, Bernie.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I accidentally posted this in the USPOL thread because Tim Ryan chat was going on over there, but here's Tim's lovely rear end email to go with that lovely rear end tweet.

This whole thing is so stupid that I just HAD to look up who Tim Ryan's campaign manager was, that would let this thing happen. Turns out I know him. You'll never guess why his campaign manager wants to go after Bernie. You guess it! He's rich as gently caress!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Maureen Dowd on Marianne Williamson posted:

Maureen Dowd (10/10) — Sneer if you will, but a call for a little spiritual healing is in order in the unspiritual, racist, hate-filled era of Donald Trump. As Jaboukie Young-White, a “Daily Show” correspondent, tweeted, Williamson is about to be the first president to take the oath of office with her hand on a stack of Tarot cards. Debates are about the visceral, and Williamson has that down. Not since Admiral James Stockdale, a fan of the Stoic philosophers, opened the vice presidential debate in 1992 by asking “Who am I, why am I here?” has there been a line as arresting as this one by the philosopher of love: “If you think any of this wonkiness is going to deal with this dark psychic force of the collectivized hatred that this president is bringing up in this country, then I’m afraid that the Democrats are going to see some very dark days.”

lolwhat.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Helsing posted:

Voters in Michigan were not Trump's "base" they were supposed to be bricks in the Blue Wall that made his victory impossible.

Almost half of Michigan votes Republican. Trump's base is "white people".

Trump won Michigan by a tiny tiny margin and the biggest upset came from increased turnout of white people. There are plenty of "economically anxious" voters in Michigan, but for some reason the ones who bought into Trump were almost entirely white.

Must be his populist messaging, huh.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

lmao

Centrist types all have ridiculous entitlement complexes, and so they immediately take personal offense when somebody with better opinions than them gets a chance to express them.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
which one of you is the subject of this article

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1156591529361911808

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Jaxyon posted:

Trump won Michigan by a tiny tiny margin and the biggest upset came from increased turnout of white people.

A lot of people stayed home because Clinton sucked harder than a turbo powered vacuum cleaner, hth.