Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

god loving poo poo maybe the tories were right along and we should burn the beeb to the ground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Is it really that hard to not ask nazis about their views on being a nazi?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Is it really that hard to not ask nazis about their views on being a nazi?

But don't you realise that if we just reach out to them and reason things out logically they'll change their mind?!

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

V. Illych L. posted:

well one assumes that it'd restart the Troubles, though it would likely be slow going at first before fresh funds reached the various paramilitaries and the bad blood got entrenched enough

probably, it would involve a highly divisive referendum on joining the Republic which might have either outcome

One assumes wrongly. The troubles were essentially a civil rights struggle which was violently resisted by the state and escalated out of its control and, much like the GFA, had basically nothing to do with the border.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

can someone please recommend a half decent uk news source :(

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

bitmap posted:

here ya go

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

fair and balanced

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

https://twitter.com/TheNewEuropean/status/1156589188021665793

:q:

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Great Britain is the original Fyre Island

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

this is beyond parody how do you satirize this poo poo

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Bryter posted:

One assumes wrongly. The troubles were essentially a civil rights struggle which was violently resisted by the state and escalated out of its control and, much like the GFA, had basically nothing to do with the border.

The GFA is very much reliant on an open border between the UK and Ireland, based on both countries being part of a common trade union. It doesn't go into specifics about how the border should be handled in the event of one country leaving the EU, because it was drafted 20 years ago when that scenario wasn't remotely conceivable. Likewise it also doesn't include details on how the peace agreement would work if the UK abolished democracy and returned to a feudal monarchy, or if Ireland abandoned its commitment to Earth and sided with the Free Mars Colonies.

Nobody who worked on drafting the agreement ever conceived that one side might arbitrarily decide to abandon the underlying principles of peaceful European unity that are the core of the GFA.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
loving hell Glastonbury costs about £100m how the gently caress are they spending 120m

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Farage is so loving good at politics.

I know the rules for the left and the right are different and the "I wish we had a Trump/Farage for the left!" idea is played out, it's fundamentally different games and we do have our Corbyn/Bernie moment, but Farage is legit the most effective politician operating in the UK right now.

bitmap posted:

There are no singularly good news sources anywhere, just be aware of the biases the sources you read have and factor that into how you interpret the reporting.

But the Guardian is still the best UK news source. The more editorialised a story will be the more bullshit their coverage is, and the Opinion columns are loving dire, but for day to day reporting the Guardian is legit best by a mile.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

BMX Ninja posted:

The GFA is very much reliant on an open border between the UK and Ireland, based on both countries being part of a common trade union. It doesn't go into specifics about how the border should be handled in the event of one country leaving the EU, because it was drafted 20 years ago when that scenario wasn't remotely conceivable. Likewise it also doesn't include details on how the peace agreement would work if the UK abolished democracy and returned to a feudal monarchy, or if Ireland abandoned its commitment to Earth and sided with the Free Mars Colonies.

Nobody who worked on drafting the agreement ever conceived that one side might arbitrarily decide to abandon the underlying principles of peaceful European unity that are the core of the GFA.

Who knew neoliberalism and austerity would gently caress things up for badly in the preceding 20 years

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Jose posted:

loving hell Glastonbury costs about £100m how the gently caress are they spending 120m

100m in speaking fees to Farage and Bannon

20m in hush money for the underage sex trafficking victims in their glamping tents

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Vitamin P posted:

I know the rules for the left and the right are different and the "I wish we had a Trump/Farage for the left!" idea is played out, it's fundamentally different games and we do have our Corbyn/Bernie moment, but Farage is legit the most effective politician operating in the UK right now.

The guy who's never managed to get elected to the uk parliament despite loads of attempts ?

Repeatedly failing to do something that someone insane like George Galloway has managed to do in several different constituencies ?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Bryter posted:

Great Britain is the original Fyre Island

Works, given his brexit strategy is indistinguishable from "let's just do it and be legends."

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

wtaf

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

BMX Ninja posted:

Labour were officially opposed to EEC membership into the 80s and Tory Eurosceptics had nearly collapsed the Major government. British withdrawal from the EU was not in fact totally unforeseeable in 1998, the notion that it was is stupid and ahistorical.

The GFA is primarily concerned with setting up power sharing institutions which ensure nationalists a seat at the table because that was the primary issue leading up to the troubles, not the border.

Nobody is going to take up arms because the UK and Ireland are no longer joint members of a trading bloc. Anyone violently opposed to a hard border was already violently opposed to a soft one. Not that popular a position as it turns out.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Agean90 posted:

this is beyond parody how do you satirize this poo poo

By donning a monocle, top hat, and try to box queensbury rules anyone under your class.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

jre posted:

The guy who's never managed to get elected to the uk parliament despite loads of attempts ?

Repeatedly failing to do something that someone insane like George Galloway has managed to do in several different constituencies ?

on the other hand he is the most consequential briton in a generation because of the brexit

its not "loser farage" its "loser britain"

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

jre posted:

He's been the frontman for leaving the EU and dunno if you've checked in but he did pretty well on that.

He has that shamelessness energy, he ignores the failures and just very competently tees up for the next point that he will again make very competently before reading the room very competently and teeing up again. And saying 'he's dumb because he's not an MP' that's silly as gently caress most people never will be MPs that doesn't mean we aren't political actors.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

also idk if anyone's been paying attention but it seems like the traditional routes to getting political power and influence might be changing??

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Vitamin P posted:

He's been the frontman for leaving the EU and dunno if you've checked in but he did pretty well on that.

He has that shamelessness energy, he ignores the failures and just very competently tees up for the next point that he will again make very competently before reading the room very competently and teeing up again. And saying 'he's dumb because he's not an MP' that's silly as gently caress most people never will be MPs that doesn't mean we aren't political actors.

Lmao, are still trying to kid on you're not a facist daily mail reader. That reads like fan fiction.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

hakimashou posted:

on the other hand he is the most consequential briton in a generation because of the brexit

its not "loser farage" its "loser britain"

for 18 years the right wing press and new labour liberals both agreed that everything that happens is framed as a vague internationalism, farage was a big figure but he was pushing an open door once neoliberalism immediately failed

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

jre posted:

Lmao, are still trying to kid on you're not a facist daily mail reader. That reads like fan fiction.

i mean the man's stated goal was getting britain out of the eu and we're definitely maybe thinking about probably doing that, eventually

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

jre posted:

I mean for better or worse his political agenda is being pushed through. Whether or not he himself got elected is irrelevant.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

jre posted:

I only read the daily mail if its the only paper in a cafe and am not a fascist you dumb useless oval office, farage doing extremely well is not fan fiction it's very obviously the reality we are living in. the question is do we learn from his success or not i think we should learn and that his relentless 'dont give a gently caress when im proved wrong keep pushing reality is a construct' energy is something we should copy

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

also idk if anyone's been paying attention but it seems like the traditional routes to getting political power and influence might be changing??

how do these wealthy, connected white men do it?!

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Bryter posted:

Labour were officially opposed to EEC membership into the 80s and Tory Eurosceptics had nearly collapsed the Major government. British withdrawal from the EU was not in fact totally unforeseeable in 1998, the notion that it was is stupid and ahistorical.

You're very likely correct. My knowledge of politics doesn't extend back that far. The first thing I was old enough to vote for was the GFA referendum. At the time I was unaware of any underlying anti-EU sentiment in English politics; I just wanted a peaceful settlement in my country, which the GFA delivered.

Bryter posted:

The GFA is primarily concerned with setting up power sharing institutions which ensure nationalists a seat at the table because that was the primary issue leading up to the troubles, not the border.

Power sharing institutions - cross-border institutions that co-ordinate trade, agriculture, energy supply, education, and a whole lot more, across the island of Ireland. All dependent on an open and frictionless border.

Bryter posted:

Nobody is going to take up arms because the UK and Ireland are no longer joint members of a trading bloc. Anyone violently opposed to a hard border was already violently opposed to a soft one. Not that popular a position as it turns out.

The GFA was a hard-won political settlement that had just enough concessions over the status of NI to convince the PIRA to end their campaign of violence. It's been hanging on by a thread for the past 20 years with just enough goodwill from the Brits and hard work by Sinn Fein to keep them on-board. The PIRA have accepted the soft British border in Ireland for the past two decades. If you think that they would accept a hard British border on the island of Ireland in the future, well, I'd suggest you volunteer to manage one of the checkpoints.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Vitamin P posted:

You are a Nazi.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Vitamin P posted:

most people havent run 7 times

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

BMX Ninja posted:

Power sharing institutions - cross-border institutions that co-ordinate trade, agriculture, energy supply, education, and a whole lot more, across the island of Ireland. All dependent on an open and frictionless border.

I'm primarily thinking of institutions which actually share power between nationalists and unionists, not cross border quangos that nobody cares about.

quote:

The GFA was a hard-won political settlement that had just enough concessions over the status of NI to convince the PIRA to end their campaign of violence. It's been hanging on by a thread for the past 20 years with just enough goodwill from the Brits and hard work by Sinn Fein to keep them on-board. The PIRA have accepted the soft British border in Ireland for the past two decades. If you think that they would accept a hard British border on the island of Ireland in the future, well, I'd suggest you volunteer to manage one of the checkpoints.

PIRA were convinced to end their campaign of violence when the Eksund was intercepted and nationalist support started waning. They have done better out of the peace than any other group: SF are the biggest nationalist party in NI and the third largest party in the Dail. They would be insane morons to dig up rifles because of Brexit when the political road to unification is basically paved for them. They know better than anyone that it isn't 1968 anymore.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I guess the question there is how much control does SF still have over the PIRA and its remnants, or opportunists in the RIRA.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Coohoolin posted:

I guess the question there is how much control does SF still have over the PIRA and its remnants, or opportunists in the RIRA.

With BoJo at the helm England is probably going to be against the actual defence forces of Ireland, Germany and France after Ireland invokes the EU mutual defense clause.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe
As someone who spent six months in Ireland during undergrad, and with a ton vacation time available, I'll be happy to fly over when it's less humid to support whatever whatever as long as I don't run into my ex. (Which may be impossible, you guys are so small.)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

:hmmyes: island dwarfism

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Vitamin P posted:

farage is a complete dumbass

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005