Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Sure, I'll have club tag - maybe it will remind me to actually play this game sometimes. I'm not going to play Sigil right now because even though I did enjoy it, I don't have any more Doom 1 in me for now. I am looking forward to playing something that lets me use the greatest melee weapon of all time, the super shotgun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Volte posted:

Sure, I'll have club tag - maybe it will remind me to actually play this game sometimes. I'm not going to play Sigil right now because even though I did enjoy it, I don't have any more Doom 1 in me for now. I am looking forward to playing something that lets me use the greatest melee weapon of all time, the super shotgun.

If you like using the super shotgun as a melee weapon, try out the BtSX Final Doomer weapon set sometime. The super shotgun in that fires three shots at once but has incredible drop off, so it is literally a melee handcannon that one shots pretty much anything up through the mid-range enemies. You end up jousting with it, running in, firing a shot directly into something, running away for another pass. It was a lot of fun but I actually found myself missing the range and spread on the usual SSG.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Arivia posted:

If you like using the super shotgun as a melee weapon, try out the BtSX Final Doomer weapon set sometime. The super shotgun in that fires three shots at once but has incredible drop off, so it is literally a melee handcannon that one shots pretty much anything up through the mid-range enemies. You end up jousting with it, running in, firing a shot directly into something, running away for another pass. It was a lot of fun but I actually found myself missing the range and spread on the usual SSG.
Cool, I will try it. I've been meaning to try out Final Doomer (and a bunch of other mods that other people talk about all the time). I've always been a "traditional" Doom player where I just use the command line and -file in the specific maps I want instead of having some monolithic mod load order like I'm playing Skyrim or something, so I don't really find the chance to try out a lot of cool mods. Plus I bounce back and forth between wanting to play maps as the author designed them and just having a cool time with ridiculous weapons. So far the only one I've tried is the DoomRL Arsenal.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Going with the theme of too many Archviles can I nominate an oldie but goodie? Hell Revealed!

Frequently Archviles show up in places and numbers that will initially make any Doom guy poo poo their pants, but the levels always provide weapons or geometry that makes dealing with them possible. On the other hand most of the maps devolve into huge bloody slogs that are thin on strategy. Still for 1997 there's some interesting tricks and aesthetics on display so if nothing else its worth a look from a history perspective.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Arivia posted:

I enjoy watching Doom playthrough videos on youtube (they're relaxing, I fall asleep to them), but outside of ones that are specifically listed as "I recorded a demo by j4rio or ancalagon" or something like that I would be skeptical that any of them are done deathless and that well. Azuruish just points out that they use all the tools in the TAS toolkit, not just stitching runs together.

Yeah I've taken a big interest in slaughter maps for a long time but have only really recently taken the plunge to learn how to play them/doom, so I watch a lot too haha. I'd prefer to post actual demos but the only ones for cryogenics (the second vid in that post) were by a different person who marks their videos as TAS. Watching their other playthroughs I kinda figured they were just "multiple attempts stitched into one" but I could be wrong. MrZzul, the player for the flotsam map is just a god gamer and I recommend his channel/twitch if you like watching these kinds of maps. He did a d2all (I believe that's the term for a whole wad deathless, correct me if I'm wrong) of Swim With The Whales and a speed strat demo of No Chance pretty recently.

DisDisDis fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 31, 2019

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

DisDisDis posted:

let's post examples of good archvile use in maps. I'll start

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf1qjn9GjuI&t=354s
I'd point to just about every archvile encounter by Ribbiks, but this one is the one that stands out to me most memorably.

I can't recall if they were suggested but I'd also put in both episodes of Back to Saturn X for potential club mega WADs.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 31, 2019

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
I'll take a WAD CLUB gang tag too!

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Can I get the wad tag too please?

an_mutt posted:

alternatively:

Arch-viles are the best Doom enemy.

It's when mappers use them badly where they become a problem.

My problem with Archviles was never their actual mechanics so much as sometimes finding it -really- hard to break line of sight. A couple of the wads I've played with friends just have them spawn in in big open rooms and it's like, why? There's much better enemies for that. At least add some pillars to duck behind!

I think in Eternal they'll lose their resurrect ability just because we have an enemy in 2016 that does something really similar. I think if they keep them otherwise the same they'll still work as a really high priority enemy you have to deal with... and now I'm imagining an encounter with both Archviles and Summoners in it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

I want to nominate a wad but I can't for the life of me remember what it's called; I want to say it's something like Return To UAC but that's turning up nothing.

It's got a very atmospheric, slow opening, with (if I remember right) some time on a monotone planet surface before going underground to a UAC type base. Any ideas anyone?

Also can I have a wad club tag please :cheers:

I am positive I've played this wad.

Can't remember the name though >< something UAC sounds right to me too.

It wasn't Winter's Fury was it? I think I'm mixing up two WADs in my head that I played around the same time...

Fabulousity posted:

Going with the theme of too many Archviles can I nominate an oldie but goodie? Hell Revealed!

If you must! :cheeky:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 31, 2019

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Einwand posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf1qjn9GjuI&t=354s
I'd point to just about every archvile encounter by Ribbiks, but this one is the one that stands out to me most memorably.

I can't recall if they were suggested but I'd also put in both episodes of Back to Saturn X for potential club mega WADs.

That video reminds me...
It has been pointed out several times how Doom is a better FPS than most modern FPS thanks to the abstract type of levels not tied to reality allows for faster action, more focus on gameplay and in general less limitations coming from what it exists in the real world... but really, in addition to all that, not being tied to the real world is great for gameplay variety. You can play around with teleporters, sliding walls hiding monsters, crushers, you can make new paths and bridges appear on the map as you advance, you can make the entire map morphs around the player if you want, or have invisible platforms, just whatever it goes. It's great

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I definitely want that tag. Should we be messaging VideoGames or just asking here?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

If we're looking for single maps, Diabolus Ex was pretty good. Decent length, very cool setting, nice amount of secrets to find. Makes you wish it was more than one map by the end. I think it took about 45-60 minutes but I'm a slow player who likes to comb for secrets.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Turin Turambar posted:

That video reminds me...
It has been pointed out several times how Doom is a better FPS than most modern FPS thanks to the abstract type of levels not tied to reality allows for faster action, more focus on gameplay and in general less limitations coming from what it exists in the real world... but really, in addition to all that, not being tied to the real world is great for gameplay variety. You can play around with teleporters, sliding walls hiding monsters, crushers, you can make new paths and bridges appear on the map as you advance, you can make the entire map morphs around the player if you want, or have invisible platforms, just whatever it goes. It's great

Very true. And not only that, but its soooooo much faster to prototype a level and so much easier to make fundamental changes to it to make it more fun to play when its abstract.

When everything looks like real-life buildings, you can't just move the door over 2 feet because now the door texture interferes with the wall texture or whatever nonsense. Oh, well, if we're gonna make this building 2-story now needs to be completely re-architected because yadda yadda

Just wanting to resize an object could mean taking artists weeks to remodel it in modern AAA engines, where in doom everything is just a single sprite that's either scanned or photoshopped. It takes seconds to do what takes hundreds of man-hours now.

I think that's why Doom WADs are still so popular. Its just really fundamentally not feasible for your average Joe Schmoe to make a Crysis 3 map or a Half-life 2 map, its gonna look ugly because half the assets are untextured and the new guns don't have animations and things like that, lack of voice acting, etc.

But Joe Schmoe can make a good WAD in a few hours and it can be nearly as good as the official content from Id themselves; possibly better. You just can't get that out of modern games.

The closest you come is a fan project like Black Mesa, which took yeaaaaaars to be possible, and still looks fairly lo-fi compared to modern AAA games. Its at least consistently at the level of HL2 though.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

DisDisDis posted:

let's post examples of good archvile use in maps. I'll start
jumping
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbQBJKMb6p4

a heavy constraint on movement (the final big room in sunlust map30 does a really, really good job of this too)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-ZqGT2CINY&t=308s

preventing you from firing a gun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gyF0ipIfaU&t=247s

any situation where you have multiple viles in a small box with lots of pillars for cover and only precision weapons like the ssg or berserk pack.

koren fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 31, 2019

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Zaphod42 posted:

I am positive I've played this wad.

Can't remember the name though >< something UAC sounds right to me too.

UAC Ultra!

Could we add that to the list? Remember it being pretty great.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

I can't find a video of it but Entropy has a really cool fight in that vein

koren
Sep 7, 2003

The BFG Arena? That's a really, really good one but gently caress trying to max a map that long with the horrifying platforming elements at the end.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Eviternity's done a good job of numbing me to the fear of Archviles, to be honest.

Oh, it's a corridor full of Archviles in cages, wonder what's going to happen when I hit this switch!

Well, now all the Cyberdemons are dead I guess it's time to go to the ex- oh, it's full of Archviles!

I mean, they're still terrifying, but I think the fear circuits in my brain have burnt out.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

VideoGames posted:

I will request that this is uploaded and then once it is done, post again asking for people who wants tags to let me know and I will get them added on :)

please replace my current gangtag with a wad club tag! thank you videogames you remain the best mod!

anyway i will forever love archviles if only because of how they can help you skip nearly all of doom 2's map27

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i dont fear archviles, i just hate that the fire attack blocks your screen, the knockback effect is overly strong (imo), and it has too much health. just super annoying to fight

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

site posted:

i dont fear archviles, i just hate that the fire attack blocks your screen, the knockback effect is overly strong (imo), and it has too much health. just super annoying to fight

Yeah I'm honestly thinking about trying to mod the archvile fire attack to not block your screen and just burn the HUD at the bottom. I don't know how they render the effect though so I don't know how much work it'd be.

If nothing else you could probably make the sprite shorter so you can fuckin see!

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I know Sigil is already a Doom 1 wad, but I've been seeing good things about Sinergy: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/107467-sinergy-a-vanilla-ultimate-doom-megawad-now-on-idgames/

(unless it was already mentioned here, in which case my bad)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Good soup! posted:

I know Sigil is already a Doom 1 wad, but I've been seeing good things about Sinergy: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/107467-sinergy-a-vanilla-ultimate-doom-megawad-now-on-idgames/

(unless it was already mentioned here, in which case my bad)

Yeah by all means keep postin' cool wads

That one does look extremely slick. I like the way they used baked in textures to kinda create shadows!

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon
Monster wads that mess with the homing of Revenant missiles or add splash to the rockets are messing up a really good thing

There's a reason the vanilla behavior allows for turbo jukes

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Mak0rz posted:

rf1024 was by far one of my favorite WADs until they stated pulling the archvile abuse. It came to a point where I bound a key to kill archvile and hit it every time I started a map.
It's funny you mention this because one of my favourite things about that set is its vile usage. The deeper you go into the set the more you have to try and figure out where rf is gonna insert one, and when it was gonna be let loose. It's almost like a puzzle, crazy as it sounds, as the style of vile placement becomes so consistent and "gently caress you" and you're really rewarded for guessing correctly.

Admittedly there are a couple maps near the end that become unwinnable very quickly if you guess wrong, which sucks. Thankfully they're 1024x1024 sized maps, so you never lose much progress! It's a great mapset, imo, and actually I'm gonna suggest it for the group as I haven't played it since release. So yeah Zaphod, consider this me nominating rf1024 for future consideration.

an_mutt fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jul 31, 2019

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Maybe do the original Congestion 1024 first?

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I'm kinda torn between playing Sigil on HNTR because I'm Bad At Videogames™ and just have fun or HMP with some light save scumming. It's been many years since I played Doom and I never really got deep into WADs because of a huge backlog.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You folks asking for the gang tag really should quote VG's post! It'll make it easier for him to find you since quotes show up in yellow now.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 31, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mystic Stylez posted:

I'm kinda torn between playing Sigil on HNTR because I'm Bad At Videogames™ and just have fun or HMP with some light save scumming. It's been many years since I played Doom and I never really got deep into WADs because of a huge backlog.

Definitely don't do UV because its really hard in Sigil, but I think HMP isn't too bad, but I'm also pretty good at doom but nothing special.

I'd say start on HMP and make a save at each map start. If you find yourself dying more than a couple times then bump it down to HNTR.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I'll throw in another vote for Sunlust at some point as I only started that recently but I've really enjoyed it so far

blakyoshi
Feb 17, 2011
Scythe X might be a good fit for this thread. Shorter and less difficult than the other Scythe wads, but with the same quality design and attention to detail.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

VideoGames posted:

I will request that this is uploaded and then once it is done, post again asking for people who wants tags to let me know and I will get them added on :)

Tag me!

Also I would love an excuse to play Sunlust again. Isn't that one really hard though? I forget. Not that I mind slaughter map stuff that much, I kinda enjoy desperately trying to find little pockets of safety in a map full of chaos. That being said I also savescum the gently caress out of them because come on, let's be real here.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

I want a cool gangtag too, but since I’m here I’ll give my thoughts on SIGIL thus far. I got about halfway through during my session last night (playing on GZDoom; HMP continuous). No screenshots or anything since I’m on tablet right now; just a random assortment of thoughts.

-I really liked how the opening map was designed around getting players used to shooting the Evil Eye to do things. Also served as a demonstration of the cramped elevated walkways that make this wad stand out from most sets these days.

-I’ve been playing with the Buckethead soundtrack, and thus far it feels like a worthy investment. For a bunch of random songs pulled from the depths of Buckethead’s catalogue, they work really well in the context of the maps.

-I can get why people aren’t digging E5M4, but I actually really like it, with a couple of caveats. Not being able to get back onto the ledge at the beginning of the left side path feels like a real dick move. And that crusher section is a bitch (though now that I know there’s an invulnerability sphere, I’ll have to take another go at it). (Also, SLADWALL to represent cracked marble is some shameful poo poo, Romero).

-I suppose my biggest complaint overall comes from the limitations of the Doom 1 bestiary. Grinding down Barons with a shotgun is no fun. I could just try running past, but unfortunately I am that sort of masochist. :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

NuclearPotato posted:

Also, SLADWALL to represent cracked marble is some shameful poo poo, Romero

:lol:

NuclearPotato posted:

-I suppose my biggest complaint overall comes from the limitations of the Doom 1 bestiary. Grinding down Barons with a shotgun is no fun. I could just try running past, but unfortunately I am that sort of masochist. :v:

If you don't kill every monster you see are you even playing doom? :colbert:

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Buckethead's score must be awesome but I'm really digging the midi soundtrack too. It's one of the high points so far.

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

VideoGames posted:

Ha! I could have gotten it uploaded to the servers for free, but this way is quicker. So I will take the link to your new avatar and use it as a gangtag to request changes for anyone who would like one. Plus I will put in a request your old avatar so you do not have to buy a new one.

I would like a WAD Club gangtag!

I didn't play SIGIL for this thread but I did write something about it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Any Doom map where Im not supposed to kill everything is something my brain cant process and I usually end up skipping the level.

VideoGames posted:

Please, tag me up videogames

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Mystic Stylez posted:

I would try it on HMP. I am bad at Doom and I found HMP to be challenging enough without being unfair.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Buckethead's SIGIL soundtrack is so good I started to play doom and had to stop and pull out my guitar for awhile.

...Okay, got that out of my system. Now back to the doom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sigil is one of those wads where it was, seemingly, genuinely tuned for HMP as standard and Ultraviolence as a real kick in the shins step up in difficulty.