Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Drew McIntyre posted:

do you think once Vince dies and AEW has been kicking their rear end for a while, the WWE is going to do Dominos Pizza-style commercials where Triple H explains how the product isn't bad anymore

HHH is still the guy who denied Luke Harper his release when that guy was desperate to loving leave, gently caress him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DLC Inc posted:

HHH is still the guy who denied Luke Harper his release when that guy was desperate to loving leave, gently caress him

and told ciampa to wrestle while injured

vince may be a legit crazy deranged fucker but hhh is a scumbag

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

DLC Inc posted:

one of Brock's best promos ever imo. the shittiness of it plus Heath's forlorn face sold it

My favourite part is Heyman from the moment Brock takes the microphone, in the corner with his hand over his mouth clearly making GBS threads himself about what the gently caress Brock is going to do or say.

Come to think of it, that's probably exactly what he was thinking for real.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DoctorGonzo posted:

and told ciampa to wrestle while injured

vince may be a legit crazy deranged fucker but hhh is a scumbag

And completely ignored/covered up abuse in developmental because he wanted his boy Bill DeMott to train wrestlers the right way.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

And completely ignored/covered up abuse in developmental because he wanted his boy Bill DeMott to train wrestlers the right way.

Kenny Omega saying gently caress This and going off to make history is just one more brick in the AEW wall that WWE helped build around themselves. In an alternate history Tyson Smith and Stardust are still working in WWE

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

those .docx files weren’t going to write themselves, c’mon

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
For wrestlers who work under real-sounding names, how do they pick them? Is there some kind of peer review going on? Do they get told that their real names don't sound catchy, so they have to invent another? Or is it a general practice that you don't work under your real name?

(I was low-key devastated when I learned that Triple H's real name isn't Hunter, but I also found it amusing that Daniel Bryan is just a derivation of his real name)

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Schneider Heim posted:

For wrestlers who work under real-sounding names, how do they pick them? Is there some kind of peer review going on? Do they get told that their real names don't sound catchy, so they have to invent another? Or is it a general practice that you don't work under your real name?

(I was low-key devastated when I learned that Triple H's real name isn't Hunter, but I also found it amusing that Daniel Bryan is just a derivation of his real name)
Hunter Hearst Helmsley was a play on various high profile rich people for Vince's parody of his neighbors.

More generally?

In WWE, it's about picking one that the trademark lawyers will approve, in large part, but other stuff can get in the mix, too, like when every FCW wrestler combined parts of famous athletes' names.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Wait I thought the H in Triple H stood for "homo"

Did Brett Heart lie to me?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Schneider Heim posted:

Alexander Rusev's real name is Miroslav Barnyashev

Antonio Cesaro's real name is Claudio Castagnoli

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Defiance Industries posted:

Wait I thought the H in Triple H stood for "homo"

Did Brett Heart lie to me?

Bret Clark did lie to you

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Schneider Heim posted:

The process is called "WWE wants to copyright your character so pick a name off a list we give you"

If you use your real name then they can't copyright that.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Daniel Bryan is Bazooka Kaboom

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

The process is called "WWE wants to copyright your character so pick a name off a list we give you"

If you use your real name then they can't copyright that.

:eng101: Well, technically it's "you give us a list to pick names from that we can copyright"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Can't believe no one has taken Frosty McChill yet.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Schneider Heim posted:

Chris Van Vlieieieeiet (I can;t be bothered to google the spelling) did an interview with the ring announcer chick who got released and she basically had a list of names for first and last name that she could pick from. She tried a few of her own that were a no-go and was somewhat thrown as two others took names that she wanted in some combination.

I'm not sure if that's standard or not but the list of acceptable names but her picking from it was interesting.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Schneider Heim posted:

I've always been curious about the more pedestrian sounding names like...how does Adam Cole become someone's chosen name?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

It’s a bit disingenuous not to type out his full and memorable name Adam Cole Bay Bay

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I've always been curious about the more pedestrian sounding names like...how does Adam Cole become someone's chosen name?

According to Chuck Taylor he chose his when he was 16 and regretted it by the time he turned 17 but for some reason thought he had to commit to it even though he had another 10 years where he could've easily changed it without much issue. I assume a lot of wrestlers are a similar case of picking stupid names and being too stubborn/stupid to change them before they get popular.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

TriffTshngo posted:

According to Chuck Taylor he chose his when he was 16 and regretted it by the time he turned 17 but for some reason thought he had to commit to it even though he had another 10 years where he could've easily changed it without much issue. I assume a lot of wrestlers are a similar case of picking stupid names and being too stubborn/stupid to change them before they get popular.

GCW's 4th of July weekend Backyarder show where everybody used their embarrassing teenage backyard wrestling name was an amazing gimmick just to see how cringey they all were at that age.

jesus WEP posted:

It’s a bit disingenuous not to type out his full and memorable name Adam Cole Bay Bay

any reason to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2Td2CTuiVY

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I know I'm a broken record on this, but you don't 'copyright' names, copyright refers to the reproduction of a distinct creative work. So like, the recording of Smackville is protected under copyright law, and if you rebroadcast or try to sell VHS tapes of Smackville you are violating the WWE's copyright, since they own Smackville. If copyright protection extended to names, we wouldn't be allowed to post messages about Smackville or Finn Balor or Vince McMahon without the express written consent or paying a licensing fee to WWE.

At least in the United States, copyright doesn't have to be registered, it's just implied. If WWE took the archives of Mr. Tito's Phat Daily Column without attribution and posted it on WWE.com, or took a video from YouTube and just screened the whole thing instead of 205 Live, those people would hypothetically have the same copyright protection/rights to litigate as WWE has to go after people streaming Extreme Rules on some piracy site. The will/ability to do so, and the potential damages found in a lawsuit are different, obviously.

Trademarks are the things you register, and WWE (and all big corporations) trademark the poo poo out of things. Pretty much literally if it's a name of a wrestler (or even in some cases a nickname/catchphrase they put on t-shirts), they've registered it. This doesn't mean you can't use the words Heavy Machinery or Viking Raiders or Montez Ford or Bobby Fish or Dr. Shelby (all registered trademarks of WWE) but you cannot use them to advertise events/products within a constricted field. But since WWE does television, streaming video, music, video games, t-shirts, toys, housewares, apparel, etc. etc. etc. they can demonstrate use and therefore register for trademark protection for just about every possible use of these names. An example of where this doesn't work so broadly is something like The Four Horsemen, or The Revival, where other individuals can and have registered these more generic terms to be brand names for toolmaking companies, liquor companies, religious apparel companies, etc. WWE doesn't do any of those things, and the terms are broad enough that there's little chance of brand confusion.

You also can register real names as trademarks, though it has to be done through/with the consent of the person. WWE has/had trademarks on John Cena, Randy Orton, Jeff Hardy, Matt Hardy, Shinsuke Nakamura, Bobby Fish, Jerry Lawler, Brock Lesnar, Paul Heyman, Shayna Baszler, Vince McMahon, Shane McMahon, Stephanie McMahon, etc. I assume it's part of the contract that basically locks the person in so that John Cena can't make his own t-shirts, make his own wrestling game, start a separate line of John Cena action figures, etc. while he's under contract to WWE. He can't go wrestle for another company as John Cena either, but that's covered in the contract and it's not like he can go to AEW as The Prototype or Hardwood Rich Mahogany either, so just registering people's real names for that reason doesn't make much sense.

The difference between "John Cena"(tm) and "Dean Ambrose"(tm) is that when they're out of their WWE contracts, John Cena can do all of those things because the trademark registration of "John Cena" is explictly attached to the real person John Cena and WWE doesn't assert any rights to it once he is no longer under contract. The "Dean Ambrose" (and 90% of the other fake name) trademark registration explicitly says "The name(s), portrait(s), and/or signature(s) shown in the mark does not identify a particular living individual." so they can keep the name Dean Ambrose forever, long after Jon Moxley/Jonathan Good is no longer under contract. They could hire Paul Rust to portray the character of Dean Ambrose in skits if they wanted (see Fake Razor and Fake Diesel). They could sue Good or companies he's working with if they use "Dean Ambrose" on posters or ads.

And that's the main reason they make everyone change their name. Except when they don't.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Aug 1, 2019

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I still can't believe they looked at a cool rear end name like Uhaa Nation and went

"apollo creed, terry crews, apollo crews, next"

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

It's still insane to me that they had Claudio Castagnoli and Gionna Daddio, two perfect wrestling names, and changed both

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Lid posted:

we were so close to Lloyd Boner

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I would love to see Paul Rust play Dean Ambrose

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

Once this 24/7 story wraps up Drake Maverick will assume the role of "Dean Ambrose." A cowardly, incontinent pooper scooper who can't hang in the big leagues so he is financially supported by his wife, the pretty talking lady.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Who's the genius who came up with Michael McGillicutty? Even Curtis Axel? The guy is the son of a legend who's got two perfectly good names to reference and they use neither. Why not Joseph Hennig, Joseph Perfect, Mr. Perfect II, anything. Instead we got the Genesis of McGillicutty.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Was Joey Styles a good commentator?

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

No Irish Need Imply posted:

I think he was legitimately good for the original Hardcore TV ECW, especially for the format and presentation. I'm not sure how well he translated in WWE but I didn't watch it very regularly during his time.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Wasn't McGillicutty one of Vince's crazy ideas, because he though McGillicutty was extremely Irish? And that that mattered for some reason?

Someone Vince's age shouldn't hear "McGillicutty" without immediately thinking of I Love Lucy.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

No Irish Need Imply posted:

Yes, with the caveat that Paul Heyman produced him in-ear for much of the original ECW

He was Heyman's voice much like Michael Cole was Vince's voice in WWE

His commentary when they brought him into WWE for the HHH-Flair cage match at Taboo Tuesday 2005 was fantastic, but then they sabotaged him and put him in a 3-man booth with Coachman

He eventually learned WWE style announcing and became interchangeable with anyone else in that role for the WWECW run

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

I vaguely remember reading something about how Vince loves Irish-sounding names and really wanted to use McGillicutty as a name for someone for years, and thus Hennig got it dumped on him.

Wish he was Joe Perfect, but that ship has long-since sailed.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

Wasn't McGillicutty one of Vince's crazy ideas, because he though McGillicutty was extremely Irish? And that that mattered for some reason?

Someone Vince's age shouldn't hear "McGillicutty" without immediately thinking of I Love Lucy.
"Hogan" is extremely Irish, and the Hulkster is the biggest star on the planet brother, so it only follows that if you want to be the biggest WWE star you need an Irish name.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
And that's why Dwayne Johnson became the Rook.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Lid posted:

His real name is John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Endless Mike posted:

"Hogan" is extremely Irish, and the Hulkster is the biggest star on the planet brother, so it only follows that if you want to be the biggest WWE star you need an Irish name.

He was given the name "Hogan" by Vince Sr, who indeed wanted an Irish wrestler. Hulk also told the story about how along with the "Hogan" name, Vince Sr gave him a bottle of red hair dye. Hogan said he was back at his hotel, with the bottle of dye in hand, while looking at his thinning hair. He reluctantly poured it down the drain, praying that he just hadn't ruined his push.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

BodyMassageMachine posted:

Wish he was Joe Perfect, but that ship has long-since sailed.

Friend of mine always joked about he should have called himself Mr. Acceptable with the Acceptableplex as his finisher.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

i forgot who it was but someone mentioned a situation with the previous hardcore belt where the belt itself ended up getting pinned by the intercontinental belt making it the hardcore champion. is there a video of that? because it makes me lmao like hell everytime i think about it. i have no idea if was wwe or ecw or anything.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

CopywrightMMXI posted:

His real name is John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt.

Which weirdly enough is also the real name of AEW EVP Kenny Omega

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

ASenileAnimal posted:

i forgot who it was but someone mentioned a situation with the previous hardcore belt where the belt itself ended up getting pinned by the intercontinental belt making it the hardcore champion. is there a video of that? because it makes me lmao like hell everytime i think about it. i have no idea if was wwe or ecw or anything.

that sounds like the ddt everyweight ironman championship, which i believe pinned the owner of the belt, making it the champion of itself? is that right?