Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?

Trastion posted:

Do the contract farms reset after the contract is over?

I just made a farm and then started a coop and posted it in the reddit thread. it filled up in a minute and a couple of the people seem to have big farms as they completed the first 2 parts of the contract instantly.

When the contract is finished, the farm disappears. The farm only exists for that contract. You can have multiple farms going at the same time (your main one, and one for each contract).

The other people who joined your group started the contract, but did not join a co-op room immediately. They instead built up their farm solo, and then before their timer ran out, joined a co-op room, which resets the timer but keeps their farm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

re: ad talk, they're farmed out to ad companies who often have "templates" ready to go that they just replace the art assets the app company sends them. That's why you see a billion "kill / save level 99 bandit" ads and the entire series of "use [item] to [solve problem] except the person does it wrong, can you do better???" ads. (Those used to actually get under my skin until I thought about it like someone playing a CYOA and purposefully choosing all the wrong options just to see what happens.)

That said as far as I know there's no laws about completely misleading advertising since you're not actually buying anything, you're downloading a free game. But there sure as hell should be. (gently caress, I've seen some weird knockoff use pokemon in its advertising and I don't think even that got taken down, good luck Nintendo.)

For anyone who plays AFK Arena or wants to see a particularly weird and offensive ad, check out this post.

I could write a million words about all the trash ads I've seen, honestly. You're exposed to a bunch of them if you ever play any f2p games where watching an ad gives you some kind of bonus. And that's just the video ads, there's ads like the one above that are found on sites like reddit or facebook or wherever that are sometimes even worse that I don't even encounter.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
To me, the most notable thing about in game advertising is that the product being advertised is almost always another free to play game. That seems like a warning sign of something very unhealthy for the whole mobile gaming industry.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Phyresis posted:

the game's good, it's just a bit graphics-intensive so it doesn't run on their lovely phones. right now i'm rerolling for the featured gundam's parts, at least the process is easy. and the 4★ rate is very high; in all of my multi-pulls i've only had one without a 4★ part in it

Unfortunately, it doesn't run on my phone either, and I am super interested in it.

Might try to figure out getting it running on an emulator.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
What server are people on for Astral Chronicles? I might give it a try.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Dragongem posted:

What server are people on for Astral Chronicles? I might give it a try.

There's a minuscule clan on a server you may no longer be able to reach - Global Launch, which was the "original" server out of probably 20 now. I am enjoying the game, but honestly I might drop the SA clan.. I love you Goons, but we don't have enough active members to make an impact, even after accepting all comers. Applications from randos have slowed down or stopped entirely and there's only a couple of us active at the moment.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Google is coming out with a $5 per month gamepass kind of like what Xbox does, but for Android games.

Not really sure if there is a ton of value in that though? https://www.engadget.com/2019/08/01/google-play-pass-monthly-android-app-game-subscription/

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Harminoff posted:

Google is coming out with a $5 per month gamepass kind of like what Xbox does, but for Android games.

Not really sure if there is a ton of value in that though? https://www.engadget.com/2019/08/01/google-play-pass-monthly-android-app-game-subscription/

That's.. dumb. I feel like other than gachas where people are looking for the "next big thing" people want a mobile game they can zone out playing day after day. It's not as though $60 is a lot over the course of a year, but I've probably spent less than that on multiple premium games throughout the year.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I could see it being worth it if a bunch of bigger games hop on and do starter packs for game pass owners, might be an interesting proposition.

PS+ does this with free starter packs for F2P games like Warframe and Neverwinter, I guess to counteract the fact that you don't need + to play F2P games online.

pappawurm
Feb 9, 2014
Any open spots in greater goon? Applying as pappawurm.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

New Leaf posted:

There's a minuscule clan on a server you may no longer be able to reach - Global Launch, which was the "original" server out of probably 20 now. I am enjoying the game, but honestly I might drop the SA clan.. I love you Goons, but we don't have enough active members to make an impact, even after accepting all comers. Applications from randos have slowed down or stopped entirely and there's only a couple of us active at the moment.

Yeah it's getting quite grindy now to get anything done. I had a fun couple weeks with it. More than I'm used to really!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Harminoff posted:

Apple has one of their own plus a goon is creating a competitor that is trying to one-up Apple at the subscription game market.

Shits weird

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Sleekly posted:

Yeah it's getting quite grindy now to get anything done. I had a fun couple weeks with it. More than I'm used to really!

I did bail on the clan, I think all of 2 of us had been on in the last 48 hours. If I find a worthwhile home I'll let you know. Can't join a new clan for a day.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Do goons still play gems of war? I remember having fun with that game and feel like getting back into it.

E: NVM I just logged back in for the first time in like two years and I have no idea what is going on

Montalvo fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 1, 2019

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I see a lot of ads for a game where some hero has to save a princess from spikes, or loot treasure that's covered by lava. What is that game, and is it any good?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

redreader posted:

I see a lot of ads for a game where some hero has to save a princess from spikes, or loot treasure that's covered by lava. What is that game, and is it any good?

The actual game is not even in the same universe of style as the ads. It is a side view gacha rpg, and is garbage on top of that. Those ads are some of the worst perpetrators of the false advertising poo poo I've seen in mobile gaming.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

The Gundam one is quite fun, I hope the wall of p2w isn't too close to the start.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I remember there was this one game called Dark 3D? where the ads were just straight up Path of Exile/Diablo 3 gameplay clips

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Montalvo posted:

Do goons still play gems of war? I remember having fun with that game and feel like getting back into it.

E: NVM I just logged back in for the first time in like two years and I have no idea what is going on

Very much so. There's a couple of goon guilds and a seperate thread if you want to join in again.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Phyresis posted:

the gacha game where you make Gundam models is out and it's pretty good so far

it's called "GUNDAM BATTLE: GUNPLA WARFARE"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bandainamcoent.gb_en

Does not appear to be available outside the US.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Sleekly posted:

The Gundam one is quite fun, I hope the wall of p2w isn't too close to the start.

bad news: the game is pretty good but holy poo poo this gacha is hosed. the rates are high but there are a million 4★ parts and it is impossible to try to collect a set, much less the specific pieces that would optimize your build. If you're like me and you gun for specific units in gacha games, this is very bad. If you're the type that can just roll with the random stuff you pull, it's probably fine, but I hope you weren't planning on getting on all of the pieces for a specific model. Also the initial batch of currency is okay, but after that dries up you're SOL

also they're adding PvP soon.... so yeah...

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Phyresis posted:

bad news: the game is pretty good but holy poo poo this gacha is hosed. the rates are high but there are a million 4★ parts and it is impossible to try to collect a set, much less the specific pieces that would optimize your build. If you're like me and you gun for specific units in gacha games, this is very bad. If you're the type that can just roll with the random stuff you pull, it's probably fine, but I hope you weren't planning on getting on all of the pieces for a specific model. Also the initial batch of currency is okay, but after that dries up you're SOL

also they're adding PvP soon.... so yeah...

Yeah, I checked that out and bounced off hard when I realized how many suits are being held back for future 4* banners releases + how little premium currency you'll have access to long-term.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Gah well poo poo. I really really liked wheres my water way way back too long ago. Any more recent ones like that?

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Tsietisin posted:

Very much so. There's a couple of goon guilds and a seperate thread if you want to join in again.

Yeah, gently caress it. I'll find the thread. Thanks!

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Teppen is getting its first update. Nerg gets a nerf and they are announcing a new hero on the 7th. They also expanded the time you get 30 packs for free for downloading.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Shwqa posted:

Teppen is getting its first update. Nerg gets a nerf and they are announcing a new hero on the 7th. They also expanded the time you get 30 packs for free for downloading.

A nerf for Nerg is much needed, like resetting his spike launch count when he uses it or something

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Teppen is still not available in Australia.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

NPR Journalizard posted:

Teppen is still not available in Australia.

Don't you guys have giant spiked flying monsters killing each other irl there? Why do you need Teppen?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Don't you guys have giant spiked flying monsters killing each other irl there? Why do you need Teppen?

To distract us from the giant flying spiked monsters. Need something to do while you are in the bunker.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Aramoro posted:

A nerf for Nerg is much needed, like resetting his spike launch count when he uses it or something

They up the cost from 17ap to 20ap and it has cap damage of 12.

And they are announcing a new hero on the 7th.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Is there no way to filter the Play store to search for all games that support Bluetooth controllers?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Shwqa posted:

They up the cost from 17ap to 20ap and it has cap damage of 12.

And they are announcing a new hero on the 7th.

I think that's a reasonable fix, just make Iris cost 6 now.

Playing almost exclusively Wesker now and I feel I have a handle on Mono black Nerg but Green Black Nerg, which makes up 75% of my opponents is a pain in the arse.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Thanks again for the phone advice goons! I ended up settling on a OnePlus 7 pro and I love it! Slim, light Android, fast as poo poo, games looks beautiful, and the one game First Summoner I've been trying to play, runs like a dream!

Side note, just downloaded that Elder Scrolls Blades game to check out now that I have a phone that can run it. Anyone in on this one?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I picked up Stardew Valley and yeah, the tap controls are surprisingly good. Combat is really inelegant but manageable.

I have to say though, the lowlight/dark areas are REALLY loving dark. I actually have had to abort expeditions in the mine because I literally can't find the stairs down to the next level despite pickaxing every single rock I could actually see.

ParsleyTroll
Nov 26, 2007
Noticed there was a spot free in the AFK Arena guild so I just applied as BasilOgre!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

LSide note, just downloaded that Elder Scrolls Blades game to check out now that I have a phone that can run it. Anyone in on this one?
I have been since beta, best advice I can give you:

- The main gameplay loop is earning and opening chests. Open wooden chests immediately, open silver chests while you do something else, open gold / elder chests overnight. Equip the gear to increase your power and make the quests / jobs easier.

- Once you unlock jobs, make sure you do any arena challenges - they're very quick and you have the same chance of earning gold chests as dungeons, which take a lot longer. You can very rarely earn elder chests but I've only had 2 in the whole time I've played.

- gems are a bit useless, so just save up the free ones, wait for a sale (they're becoming more frequent now) and buy the biggest box you can.

- Don't temper armour, the stuff you get from chests will usually be better.

- the only enchantment you really need is the health absorb on hit enchant on your gloves and jewelry.

- know your enemy weaknesses! Have a weapon of each damage and element type. I personally recommend keeping at the very least a blunt fire weapon for trolls and goblins which you will grow to hate at higher levels.

- Grab absorb and healing dodge as soon as you can and learn their timing, they are invaluable later on.

- upgrade your enchanter first, then potions, then smithy, then workshop.

- stone is the prettiest upgrade, you don't get any extra points for upgrading to castle and it's entirely aesthetic, so if you like wood houses and stone walls like me, go nuts.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Aug 5, 2019

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Night of the Full Moon got a little expansion. A different style of progression but the same basic game. It feels a little shorter and theres less chance of ditching lovely cards but otoh more upgrades and some powerful new cards.

The final boss has an ultra annoying gimmick

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

Away all Goats posted:

I picked up Stardew Valley and yeah, the tap controls are surprisingly good. Combat is really inelegant but manageable.

I have to say though, the lowlight/dark areas are REALLY loving dark. I actually have had to abort expeditions in the mine because I literally can't find the stairs down to the next level despite pickaxing every single rock I could actually see.

This is a little bit by design. You're supposed to find/make and drop torches as you go in those areas.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

You also get Light Rings eventually which help a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akiosan
May 21, 2005

We have to first get out of this bar, then the hotel, then the city, and then the country.

Trying to join Greater Goon in AFK Arena and all the spaces are full. Please let me know if you kick out any inactives. Thanks.