Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Last generation it seemed to take Sony a while to realize that features and services outside of the games themselves were not afterthoughts and needed to be good experiences to support the platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Wipeout will be fun, but I already have Sniper Elite 4 on PC, and the prospect of playing a sniper game, of all things, with a gamepad is making my head hurt.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Black Griffon posted:

Wipeout will be fun, but I already have Sniper Elite 4 on PC, and the prospect of playing a sniper game, of all things, with a gamepad is making my head hurt.

Im a goddamn a surgeon with a gamepad (I played lot of Metal Gear Online 3)

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

When they switched to the new store format on PS3 it was awful. It like barely runs. It needed the power of the PS4 to run halfway decent.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

WaltherFeng posted:

Im a goddamn a surgeon with a gamepad (I played lot of Metal Gear Online 3)

Should also mention that I'm so out of practice it's embarrassing. Last time I played a console FPS with any consistency was back when Halo 3 came out. Playing Borderlands this week felt like doing surgery with hockey sticks for hands.

Also I'm humblebrag pretty good at FPS games on PC, so in a way it's even more frustrating.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You can buy adaptors that let you plug a mouse and keyboard into a console and control gamepad-only games with them. This will get you accused of cheating in PVP but if you're just playing solo/co-op then who cares.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

haveblue posted:

You can buy adaptors that let you plug a mouse and keyboard into a console and control gamepad-only games with them. This will get you accused of cheating in PVP but if you're just playing solo/co-op then who cares.

Only idiots think XIM is cheating. XIM is real good and the only way I can tolerate FPS on consoles because loving :lol: at using a controller.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

At the same time, one advantage of playing a console is being able to sit back and relax with a controller. I'll probably just buy it for PC if M+KB is absolutely necessary.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I've been getting into Division 2 for the past few weeks and any time I watch a video from the PC version, I can't help but think how much more fun the gunplay/cover system would be with mouse precision.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
What were this months game again? Looking forward to sniper elite. Have played the demo for 2 or 3 a couple of years ago but never bothered to buy the full game.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
lol just lol if you're using the Ps store on a console like some sort of savage.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

OK goons, you talked em up and they were on sale so I finally got the Witcher 3 dlcs. I got em all installed and my old lvl 35 save still works, which one should I do first?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

BBQ Dave posted:

OK goons, you talked em up and they were on sale so I finally got the Witcher 3 dlcs. I got em all installed and my old lvl 35 save still works, which one should I do first?
Hearts of Stone first. Blood and Wine takes you to its own new continent -- you're free to go back and forth but won't want to -- and is very much a coda to the story.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I feel like I'm suddenly seeing more about the PS5, like articles on preordering and pricing and such.

Are things really that far along with its production?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

me your dad posted:

I feel like I'm suddenly seeing more about the PS5, like articles on preordering and pricing and such.

Probably out late next year.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

me your dad posted:

most ps5 news is tabloid level rumor chasing because people click on that poo poo, but we'll probably learn a lot at or before next e3

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Donovan Trip posted:

most ps5 news is tabloid level rumor chasing because people click on that poo poo, but we'll probably learn a lot at or before next e3

That's what I was thinking, because it's mostly stuff from my Google News feed, and it picks up all manner of sensationalist nonsense.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

me your dad posted:

That's what I was thinking, because it's mostly stuff from my Google News feed, and it picks up all manner of sensationalist nonsense.

I see stuff like that I basically know I can select 'Don't show stories from ...' and nothing of value will be lost. Of course Google then decides 'oh how about MORE stories about this from other sources...' sigh.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I want to buy DOOM 1 + 2 but I heard they run slower than normal. Is that true? What the gently caress are you doing Todd?

Necrothatcher posted:

I spent thousands of dollars on hair growth serum and I still couldn't get it max length. I think you have to start necking the stuff in Chapter 2 or something if you want it full and lustrous.

A real cowboy would have been patient!!!

I managed the max length but it took a solid chunk of the game to get to that point.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I'm a little bummed the Shadow of War ps+ rumor was wrong but shooting hitler in the balls sounds like a good time

Kilometers Davis posted:

I want to buy DOOM 1 + 2 but I heard they run slower than normal. Is that true? What the gently caress are you doing Todd?

They wrapped it in Unity and made it 360 megs for no reason at all. Something broke some of the AI so enemies trigger before you've entered the room, and other weird poo poo.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Doom1/2 run at 35fps which is fine for a game from 29 years ago meant to be played on a CRT but not on a HDTV. The aspect ratio also doesn't scale properly to 1080p. They also hosed up the lighting and music and also added DRM. AWFUL stuff. The doom 3 port was done by a different, competent company and is excellent.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Donovan Trip posted:

I'm a little bummed the Shadow of War ps+ rumor was wrong but shooting hitler in the balls sounds like a good time

Ball :haw:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

iirc that's a detail they somehow managed to screw up in the first game

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

If you have a computer at all, buy Doom on steam and run it through gzdoom or another port. Whatever nightmare Bethesda cooked up is not worth it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’ll just keep not playing doom I guess :( I’ve been waiting so long for it to hit the PS4 too.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’ll just keep not playing doom I guess :( I’ve been waiting so long for it to hit the PS4 too.

If you haven't played it in long enough, you may not notice any of the things that are apparently wrong with it. I hadn't played Doom in over 20 years and wouldn't know there were any issues with the port if other folks didn't speak up.

It was $5 and now I can play Doom on my couch so it was worth it for me.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Timotheous Venture posted:

If you haven't played it in long enough, you may not notice any of the things that are apparently wrong with it. I hadn't played Doom in over 20 years and wouldn't know there were any issues with the port if other folks didn't speak up.

Digital Foundry has gone in deep on why these suck so much:

quote:

"Despite the conversion work, this new version of Doom also retains its 35 frames per second cap -which does not divided evenly into 60Hz. In its original form, Doom was designed to run on CRT monitors at 70hz - 35 frames per second is exactly half the refresh rate, delivering consistent motion. The consoles, however, don't support 70Hz output and most will be playing at 60Hz which means uneven frame persistence leading to visible judder.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-doom-1-2-3-ports-tech-analysis

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Doom1/2 run at 35fps which is fine for a game from 29 years ago meant to be played on a CRT but not on a HDTV. The aspect ratio also doesn't scale properly to 1080p. They also hosed up the lighting and music and also added DRM. AWFUL stuff. The doom 3 port was done by a different, competent company and is excellent.

This is so loving insane to me because BETHESDA ITSELF published Doom 3 BFG Edition on the PS3 and 360 and the Doom 1/2 ports included with that looked and ran fine and had extra episodes too! Like, what?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Ran into some issues feeling like they were HD related on my Pro, purcased last November, RDR2 bundle mode. Transferred my 2016 purchased PS4 drive into its terabyte one.

1) Plugged the drive into PC and was unable to read the SMART status which is a kickass handy system for checking HD health, is that normal with PS4 drives?

2) Said drive looks like this. Wth?

Issue I suffered from since the latest firmware update was games like Killing Floor 2 and War Thunder freezing up for 5-15 seconds at inopportune moments, Monster Hunter World performed just fine because it loads everything into memory, Path of Exile was as fine as its console port could be. Installed Destiny 2 and that one flat out bluescreened me out due to corrupt data. Did a lot of database rebuilds, sometimes they took longer, sometimes shorter, but no result.

Boost mode on-off helped War Thunder for a day, and that game seemed to crap itself when a plane was spawned in tanks mode (so the game had to load more data), KF2 would be at its worst in Versus mode where there were up to twelve players. The "system-lag" of icons not rendering, the system freezing up, with no activity in the background, just increased over time.

Made a full drive initialization and I'm currently reinstalling games, ain't nobody got time for an RMA!

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 1, 2019

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ghosts n Gopniks posted:

2) Said drive looks like this. Wth?

Yeah the PS4 uses 15 partitions on the main drive. The device paths are right too, so there's no problem in the GPT (fun fact of the day: The PS2 HDD makes a new partition for every game installed - be it official installs like FFXI and Outbreak 2 or HDLoader).

If you can't read the SMART status though I wouldn't trust it. Replace the drive IMHO.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Samuringa posted:

I'm playing The Division 2 :downs:

It has actually had some neat improvements while I took a little break from it, for the 2 people who care about it, in that both the duration and the cooldown timers of the skills have been changed notably, making it a much more active experience. I already had a "build" focused on soloing - one skill to whittle down enemy armor and one to heal myself - which is now even more reliable.

The common loot also stands out better amongst all the other normal backpacks, which is a silly thing but its there.

Thx for the info. Rented it and did about four hours but got it on the $20 sale, but haven’t done in yet

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

kirbysuperstar posted:

If you can't read the SMART status though I wouldn't trust it. Replace the drive IMHO.

Aw man. If things act up over the weekend as I test-drive everything, I'm going to stuff the only spare drive I have in (done with games on my PS3 anyway) and try to get Sony to hit me up with a loose spare drive or reimbursement for eternal fucker, as I have lost count of how many times I've had to RMA things in the PS4 generation. On top of that this Pro was a coil-whine model which is irritating but not harmful and can be cured with nail polish or serious glue. If it wasn't for being all outta junk to play and having only the PS4 to play on I'd send it the heck in. Gonna go postal if they muck up QC on the PS5.

e: Clarification, it's like SMART doesn't exist at all on the Pro drive, like it's not supporting it, it's a greyed out option, even in commandline it could not be fine. But it works and installs and doesn't systemlag one bit.

MHW took forever for its initial post-install load before the "connecting to PSN" dialogue. Then the saving data prompt took strangely long. Loading into Astera, I have lost count of time. GOD loving DAMNIT SONY AND YOUR PIECE OF poo poo QC.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 1, 2019

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Sadly this is the first time I think I've owned both games on the PS+ list.

I'll still grab them as I own physical copies of both, but was looking for something new to play for a few weeks.

Both are great games though. Sniper was a lot of fun, once I realised I shouldn't be trying to stealth everything.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Metal Gear Solid 5 is good. Ground zero is good.

I am dumb for putting it off fo so long.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 1, 2019

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
We are all dumb for not playing videogames when we could be playing videogames.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Samuringa posted:

We are all dumb for not playing videogames when we could be playing videogames.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I'm a Doom hoarder that has all doom games on all platforms I own but I'll pick up Doom 3 on PS4 and avoid 1 and 2 unless they do some major patching (i doubt it).

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

fun fact of the day: The PS2 HDD makes a new partition for every game installed - be it official installs like FFXI and Outbreak 2 or HDLoader

This is loving insane. Woah. So when a patch grown the size of the game, it create a new partition, or grown the size of the partition?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
I got Doom 3 for Switch, it's really cool seeing a game that I used to play on Low graphics back on 2004 running on a handheld. It runs native 4K on a PS4 Pro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Anyone here got Doom 3 on PS4? Is it just a carbon copy of PS3's BFG Edition but with upped resolution?