Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Endorph posted:

imo recruting all the students seems like it'd make the post-timeskip plot worse. like sure there's some unique dialogue in the monastery but having recognizable chapter bosses instead of randos is cool

Yeah, I think that's why I'm going to limit myself to recruiting two or three students at most per playthrough. On Golden Deer, I recruited Annette, Felix, and Bernadetta, and I could get others but I'm just not going to. I don't have room to field everyone I already want to use anyway!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Hilda's a good unit but her general attitude to everything and the way she was just casually racist to Cyril in their C support is making me dislike her.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Endorph posted:

imo recruting all the students seems like it'd make the post-timeskip plot worse. like sure there's some unique dialogue in the monastery but having recognizable chapter bosses instead of randos is cool

I beat Edelgard's route killing as few enemy students as possible, mostly by avoiding them and defeating the commander instead, or preventing them from spawning in the first place. In the end, there was only one chapter where killing another student was mandatory.

The game did not acknowledge this in any way.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The cross house supports post time skip is worth it

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

inthesto posted:

Yeah, it gets fleshed out in the Blue Lions support web. Four of the house members think the whole thing is bullshit (Dimitri, Sylvain, Annette, Mercedes), but Felix and Ingrid still hold a grudge due to reasons.

Felix is great in his comedy supports, but all the supports that are supposed to dig into his psychological state come across as largely incoherent.

I dunno, I feel Felix is pretty consistent.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Clarste posted:

I beat Edelgard's route killing as few enemy students as possible, mostly by avoiding them and defeating the commander instead, or preventing them from spawning in the first place. In the end, there was only one chapter where killing another student was mandatory.

The game did not acknowledge this in any way.
the game seems really designed such that A) you only poach 1-3 other students and B) you kill them when they show up on maps post time-skip

which i get why but you could havej ust made a hard limit and made them all mandatory to kill to beat the map to resolve this

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Clarste posted:

preventing them from spawning in the first place

is this why (beagles chaos route) i never even saw timeskip raphael, marianne, or lorentz, lmao

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I dunno, I feel Felix is pretty consistent.

He's pretty consistently angry at no one and lashes out at everyone. But his supports with Dimitri, Sylvain, and Ingrid never actually dig into what the guy wants. He just gets moody and other people say "deep down inside you want to protect people" which I think is an incredibly weak copout.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I would get Felix's character more if he were voiced by the guy that does Bakugo for MHA.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Okay I have one week left for battles before the timeskip

And holy hell do I still have a fair few units who need to hit level 20 in time for advanced classes, plus skill targets to hit :negative:

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

inthesto posted:

He's pretty consistently angry at no one and lashes out at everyone. But his supports with Dimitri, Sylvain, and Ingrid never actually dig into what the guy wants. He just gets moody and other people say "deep down inside you want to protect people" which I think is an incredibly weak copout.

Felix is a big Tsundere.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

inthesto posted:

Have you done his paralogue? It seems pretty clear to me the reason why he hates his Dad is the same reason he’s so lovely to Ashe and Ingrid about Knights and that’s closely related to why he’s rude to Mercedes. He hates Dimitri for a kinda different reason but it’s not really contradictory with his other issues.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

inthesto posted:

Yeah, it gets fleshed out in the Blue Lions support web. Four of the house members think the whole thing is bullshit (Dimitri, Sylvain, Annette, Mercedes), but Felix and Ingrid still hold a grudge due to reasons.

Felix is great in his comedy supports, but all the supports that are supposed to dig into his psychological state come across as largely incoherent.

Uh, no. Felix couldn't give a single poo poo about Dedue being Duscar and isn't being racist at all. He despises Dedue for separate reasons. Ingrid actually is holding a grudge against Duscar in general over the incident, but her support has her dealing with that issue.

Even Felix's pre-timeskip supports plus his paralogue make it pretty clear what his underlying issues are in his various supports and why he dislikes his seemingly pretty cool dad. Also, unless there's something later in the route, chalk Felix up as one of the few people who doesn't have either a dead or bad dad.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Have you done his paralogue? It seems pretty clear to me the reason why he hates his Dad is the same reason he’s so lovely to Ashe and Ingrid about Knights and that’s closely related to why he’s rude to Mercedes. He hates Dimitri for a kinda different reason but it’s not really contradictory with his other issues.

Maybe I'm skimming the text too much, but I'm not really seeing a through-line here. Felix even has a line about how Rodrigue acted like a fool in reaction to Glenn's death but it's never really followed up on. And when you do meet Rodrigue, he's a perfectly fine person.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I know felix's deal and I just did his paralogue and barely did any other support since he's a poached unit

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I don't even have a Switch but I've only just heard the main character of this new Fire Emblem is a professor and as someone who's working on a thesis defence, grading papers, and trying to submit resumes to faculty openings this is extremely funny for me to imagine.

I assume all the good Content based on this premise has been wrung out, but can anyone relate to me how accurate the game is to the bleak untenured new faculty experience? How many committees do you wind up chairing because nobody higher level can be compelled to attend?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Dolash posted:

I don't even have a Switch but I've only just heard the main character of this new Fire Emblem is a professor and as someone who's working on a thesis defence, grading papers, and trying to submit resumes to faculty openings this is extremely funny for me to imagine.

I assume all the good Content based on this premise has been wrung out, but can anyone relate to me how accurate the game is to the bleak untenured new faculty experience? How many committees do you wind up chairing because nobody higher level can be compelled to attend?

I mean you end up in charge of a rowdy group of students despite never having taught a class nor ever shown any emotion. you're responsible for their growth and there's no supervision whatsoever

some of these quests end up taking you into some crazy territory, I just opened one up that was all Swordmasters with Silver Swords and just noped the gently caress out of there

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
How many teachers or other non-student units should I recruit? I've got Catherine, who is crazy good. Thinking of getting Manuella and Hanneman. In general though I don't want to have a lot of extra units since I like my Golden Deer students.

Though on second thought if I have more units then maybe I can avoid getting overleveled so much by spreading the exp around.

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
It's been a while so my memory isn't that fresh but afaik Felix's deal is that he despises the 'noble knight' ideal, doesn't think it's good to sacrifice yourself for your king/leader and is angry that after his brother died his dad basically said something like 'he died like a true knight'. But no, he died for no good reason, war is lovely and there's no good or noble deaths in it. It's just miserable all around.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Dolash posted:

Well in the game you get the job because the original teacher ran off and left three students to be murdered by bandits, has that ever happened to you?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Man the first Edelgard time skip mission was pretty brutal.

also could never recruit Catherine so I killed her. The redhead cavalier and ignatz lived tho!

I think I'm gonna do the other three routes then replay Edelgard quest saving as many kids in my house as possible.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
catherine confirms she's the best unit by;

being swole and cool
probably having a better statblock then byleth does when you recruit her, sheesh
having a paralouge that gives boots as a reward

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Welp, missed my last chance at the Death Knight because Jeralt decided he was going to start moving and forced me to end the map before I could actually engage him. That's pretty infuriating, but I'm not about to start this whole tedious map over again so, well, gently caress dark classes I guess.

I hate guest units, especially ones I have to protect.

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Some maps give you guest units that you can actually control. All maps with guest units should do this instead of having uncontrollable ally idiots who just charge forward and take all the exp/die.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Harrow posted:

Welp, missed my last chance at the Death Knight because Jeralt decided he was going to start moving and forced me to end the map before I could actually engage him. That's pretty infuriating, but I'm not about to start this whole tedious map over again so, well, gently caress dark classes I guess.

When I did that map Jeralt charged in and brought the boss to 1 HP, and then retreated and just stood around while I grabbed the bonus items.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Gruckles posted:

When I did that map Jeralt charged in and brought the boss to 1 HP, and then retreated and just stood around while I grabbed the bonus items.

For me, the boss had a crit locked and loaded, so I had to get Flayn to rescue him and Ingrid to take a crit to the face while Ashe fetched the last chest.

Somehow, rescuing the villagers was not the annoying part of the map.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Harrow posted:

I had to surround the boss with units so the NPC couldn't physically attack the boss.

Gruckles posted:

Or apparently I wasted my time.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

inthesto posted:

For me, the boss had a crit locked and loaded, so I had to get Flayn to rescue him and Ingrid to take a crit to the face while Ashe fetched the last chest.

Somehow, rescuing the villagers was not the annoying part of the map.

I had to give up on the chest in the upper left corner of the map since it was blocked off by flaming debris and I didn’t have a flier at the time, and then I just went straight for the boss kill with Byleth. What’s in there anyway?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I was more worried about the boss nuking Jeralt than Jeralt killing the boss, really.

I don't have anyone on my team who really wants Dark Seals this run anyway (Lysithea can't use 'em, after all), but it's still frustrating. I didn't get any of the chests, either. If I'd known Jeralt was going to start moving all of a sudden I'd probably have positioned differently from the start.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I can tell you that the lower left chest near where the Death Knight spawns is just a Horsekiller lance and probably not worth your time.

I don't even remember the top left one, although my thief had no problem getting it (it wasn't blocked off).

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I think I ruined the game by doing Black Eagles path. Spoilers for February's big plot thing Rhea just going I WILL EAT YOUR HEART and turning into a gigantic white demon monster dragon thing is going to make it hard for me to side with her, ontop of how absolutely creepy she's been lately.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Heroes being locked to just the guys is so dumb

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I had to give up on the chest in the upper left corner of the map since it was blocked off by flaming debris and I didn’t have a flier at the time, and then I just went straight for the boss kill with Byleth. What’s in there anyway?

It's not actually blocked off, it's that the default camera tilt makes it not very clear. Whatever it was, it wasn't important enough for me to remember, i.e. it wasn't a movement ring.

That's actually one of my minor gripes for this game, that the camera tilt can make it very hard to read the grid.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I I finished Blue Lions 19 and it's gonna make me feel a little bad to start up another house because I don't think my boy Demetri will be alright without the Professor around.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Clarste posted:

I can tell you that the lower left chest near where the Death Knight spawns is just a Horsekiller lance and probably not worth your time.

I don't even remember the top left one, although my thief had no problem getting it (it wasn't blocked off).

It's a Giant Shell, the Defense+2 skill booster

inthesto posted:

It's not actually blocked off, it's that the default camera tilt makes it not very clear. Whatever it was, it wasn't important enough for me to remember, i.e. it wasn't a movement ring.

That's actually one of my minor gripes for this game, that the camera tilt can make it very hard to read the grid.

I wish the game had the like 4 levles of grid visibility awakening, fates & I think echoes had

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I played for like 20 hours before learning I can zoom out the camera with the minus key

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

There was a brief moment during the dancer competition where I thought Edlegard was going to lose to Dedue in the dance compeition and I was going to throw my controller because girl had 31 drat charm and dwarfed every other student in my house

and then i threw my controller anyway beacuse i completely misinterpreted how this reward was given out :shepicide:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Well in the game you get the job because the original teacher ran off and left three students to be murdered by bandits, has that ever happened to you?

I can hardly imagine a professor abandoning students to their fate and a hard-working TA having to step into the breach and help them scrabble to safety.

Well, I can hardly imagine that happening and the TA being recognized and given their professor's old job.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Harrow posted:

I was more worried about the boss nuking Jeralt than Jeralt killing the boss, really.

I don't have anyone on my team who really wants Dark Seals this run anyway (Lysithea can't use 'em, after all), but it's still frustrating. I didn't get any of the chests, either. If I'd known Jeralt was going to start moving all of a sudden I'd probably have positioned differently from the start.

unless the defeat condition very specifically says the guest npc has to survive you're gravy, they just retreat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Dolash posted:

Your class is small, your students are allowed to study things that are interesting to them, the food is free, you live in a swanky castle, you can have the pope teach you how to be better at swords

It's a teacher's dream