Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Someone made a statement about how Mage Revised exploded its own setting and how people reacted to that, which I think also applies to V5. They said it was like going into an apartment building and shooting every dog that was there, and also giving everybody a new puppy. The people who had zero dogs will say "Hey, thanks for the free puppy!" The people whose dog you just shot will not consider the new puppy sufficient recompense no matter how good the new puppy is.

There is no way to make a replacement puppy that will please the people whose perfectly-good original puppy you blew up to make room for the new model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018

Ferrinus posted:

Cool, that helps a lot. My other big complaint about V5 was with the combat system, but I guess I now know that it's with the explanation of the combat system - what you're describing looks good. A couple more questions:

1. It says that the general order of resolution is already-close combat, firearms attacks, and people entering close combat. Does that mean that something wonky happens if my character is charging yours and yours has a gun, but mine hasn't actually closed with yours as the round begins? Or do we just roll my Brawl vs. your Firearms?

2. There's that Celerity power that lets you attack so quickly no defense is possible. What happens if I use it to attack you, and you attack me normally back? Is it like, I deal damage to you as though you'd rolled no successes, and you deal damage to me based on your margin vs. my successes?

1. It's dependent on the situation, really. If you're charging and you can't close the distance, you wouldn't get a brawl/melee attack (like, let's say the guy is 50 meters away; that's well within gun range but you're not charging 50 meters in one round of 'average' combat). So you'd end up mainly needing to dodge the firearms attack in 'firearms attacks' phase until you closed range, at which point you'd be in 'newly engaged phase', and probably want to use the rules for brawl vs firearms close combat from pg. 302 (we're working on a big example that shoves everything together and will show using basic and advanced conflict options together, to give a full picture) if they tried to shoot you in close range. Either that or, depending on the scenario/narrative, you might force them to match you in like, str + brawl vs. str + brawl. I don't ever use initiative as written, as it breaks some other things (like split attack pools).

2. That's one that hasn't been answered yet, it was on the list before WW was absorbed and Karim stopped answering questions. Myself, I would maybe rule it as one of the few 'exceptions to the rule' above that all attacks happen at once. As it says on Unerring Aim/Lightning Strike that they can't defend, it's essentially you getting a 'free' attack because of your speed, and then they would be able to attack you back as normal during their turn (and so you could dodge or attack back), but that MIGHT be overpowered (as at that point, you could damage them twice, which is significant). I'd have to do some testing on it, as noone in the game I'm running has Disciplines above 3 right now.

MoonKnight fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 1, 2019

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

we can even change to inventing new types of promethean or werewolf or whatever.

like a homonculus that alchemists invented in the ancient past but the alchemist got greedy and stole the vitriol from his homonculus son, and that started the tradition of alchemists murderising prometheans to get at their sweet sweet candy center?

maybe the final stage of the magnum opus is red because the alchemists murdered their homonculus to get the philosophers stone inside and the red was for the blood? huh ? huh??

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

juggalo baby coffin posted:

now that we know that V5 is bad or whatever we can go back to talking about inventing different types of cool new vampire

I actually think it's pretty good.

MoonKnight posted:

1. It's dependent on the situation, really. If you're charging and you can't close the distance, you wouldn't get a brawl/melee attack (like, let's say the guy is 50 meters away; that's well within gun range but you're not charging 50 meters in one round of 'average' combat). So you'd end up mainly needing to dodge the firearms attack in 'firearms attacks' phase until you closed range, at which point you'd be in 'newly engaged phase', and probably want to use the rules for brawl vs firearms close combat from pg. 302 (we're working on a big example that shoves everything together and will show using basic and advanced conflict options together, to give a full picture) if they tried to shoot you in close range. Either that or, depending on the scenario/narrative, you might force them to match you in like, str + brawl vs. str + brawl. I don't ever use initiative as written, as it breaks some other things (like split attack pools).

2. That's one that hasn't been answered yet, it was on the list before WW was absorbed and Karim stopped answering questions. Myself, I would rule it as one of the few 'exceptions to the rule' above that all attacks happen at once. As it says on Unerring Aim/Lightning Strike that they can't defend, it's essentially you getting a 'free' attack because of your speed, and then they would be able to attack you back as normal during their turn (and so you could dodge or attack back), but that MIGHT be a bit overpowered (as at that point, you could damage them twice, which is significant). I'd have to do some testing on it, as noone in the game I'm running has Disciplines above 3 right now.

I don't mean the optional initiative rules, I mean the sidebar on page 125 that tells you what rolls in a physical conflict to resolve first. Specifically, I'm imagining a situation in which the close combatant can reach the shooter on this turn (they're just across a room or something), but doesn't start engaged.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
V5 is really really good

Man I love the diversity predator types bring to the game and that they have more dots involved than just the single discipline dot

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

we can even change to inventing new types of promethean or werewolf or whatever.

like a homonculus that alchemists invented in the ancient past but the alchemist got greedy and stole the vitriol from his homonculus son, and that started the tradition of alchemists murderising prometheans to get at their sweet sweet candy center?

maybe the final stage of the magnum opus is red because the alchemists murdered their homonculus to get the philosophers stone inside and the red was for the blood? huh ? huh??
Extempore Promethean who was created by an Ordo Dracul trying to make a more obedient progeny by ghouling someone at the point of death with like 4 people's blood at once and then oops! oops

Give me new Hosts. Give me pigeon hosts. Give me these but pigeons instead of owls because if it was owls it would be Strix

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

the old setite thaumaturgy of creating clay people but actually begetting a race of Prometheans, wait, that's Osirians. I'm thinking of something that already exists.

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018

Ferrinus posted:

I actually think it's pretty good.

I don't mean the optional initiative rules, I mean the sidebar on page 125 that tells you what rolls in a physical conflict to resolve first. Specifically, I'm imagining a situation in which the close combatant can reach the shooter on this turn (they're just across a room or something), but doesn't start engaged.

In your scenario there, you'd act during newly-engaged combat phase (since you reached them during the turn, but didn't start the turn engaged), and would use the proper pools (as noted, the pg. 302 str + firearms vs str + brawl pool is the most likely candidate). It's abstracted in a cinematic manner, but it doesn't mean that 'a guy with a gun out is always going to go before anyone that reaches him in that turn'. The way it's written implies (and the way at least LAbN runs it, which backs up the interpretation) that movement and such works out during the declarations of PC and NPC actions, then dice rolls happen based on the phases on pg. 125, if you're not using the optional initiative rules.

So all movement would happen during declaration. Once that's all done...
Anyone already stabbing or punching each other is resolved.
Anyone already shooting (either at another shooter or as firearms vs. brawl or at a target that can only dodge) is resolved.
Anyone just getting to their combatants is resolved.

You'd have to make an ST Fiat decision on when something like, say, you reaching a gunman that is already firing on someone else, based on the scenarios above for split attacks and deprecating dodging. Personally I'd just have a split attack (so you charge a dude firing on another dude, and the gunman fires on both you and the original target, thus splitting his pool) in the most convenient phase (so for me, I'd resolve all of that in the ranged combat phase, since it's not going to break anything there). This is another one where Karim was asked, but kinda disappeared before we could get an answer on his intent.

MoonKnight fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 1, 2019

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

all good ideas!

how about mekhet guys with barbed mosquito tongues that they can use to quickly jab out and suck blood in melee combat. it only steals one blood point or w/e but it does damage on the way in and on the way out because of the barb.

and according to the werewolves they started out as hollow mekhet, but a mosquito host thingy filled the hole where their soul should go, turning them into half-kindred half-hosts. the laws of vampire crabification made them slowly become more like true kindred over time, and they migrated all over the world to wherever swamps and real mosquitos are. the american contingent are all swamp folk for that kind of hillbilly horror cliche.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I understand the math I dont dispute the math the math just doesn't matter that much. Yeah another player may have an "xp advantage" but you arent facing these other players you are working as a team so being able to synergize with everyone else by doing whatever role you create your vampire to fill is more important than being the strongest vampire. The predator types help you a lot in this as it gives you a means to create your niche more easily.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Metapod posted:

I understand the math I dont dispute the math the math just doesn't matter that much. Yeah another player may have an "xp advantage" but you arent facing these other players you are working as a team so being able to synergize with everyone else by doing whatever role you create your vampire to fill is more important than being the strongest vampire. The predator types help you a lot in this as it gives you a means to create your niche more easily.

The only character yours is competing with is other versions of your character. For instance, you could make a claw-using Gangrel with Brawl 0, and then compare them in your head to a claw-using Gangrel with Brawl 3, and then do the thinking emoji until you realize that you should've put some points in Brawl.

Similarly, if you really wanted to make a Gangrel who had Protean 3 and Potence 1, you could do it two different ways: start with Protean 2 Potence 1 and eventually buy Protean 3, or start with Protean 3 Potence 0 and eventually buy Potence 1. The problem is that you would have to wait six or seven sessions longer do to the former thing than to do the latter. If your gaming group meets weekly, that is almost a two months' difference - and in those two months, if you had only made the second choice at chargen rather than the first, you could also have learned some Celerity or boosted your Brawl higher or something.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

all good ideas!

how about mekhet guys with barbed mosquito tongues that they can use to quickly jab out and suck blood in melee combat. it only steals one blood point or w/e but it does damage on the way in and on the way out because of the barb.

and according to the werewolves they started out as hollow mekhet, but a mosquito host thingy filled the hole where their soul should go, turning them into half-kindred half-hosts. the laws of vampire crabification made them slowly become more like true kindred over time, and they migrated all over the world to wherever swamps and real mosquitos are. the american contingent are all swamp folk for that kind of hillbilly horror cliche.

I'm not 100% solid on the concept of Hosts because I am Requignorant but here's some Assorted Gribblies to Ruin the Mood:

- a parasitic fungus that prays on Life sphere mages, propagated through the subject's own magic. At the apex of infection the subject is compelled to climb as high as they can and envelop as large an area as possible in a burst of life-boosting energy, coating the whole area in gnostic mycelium.
- an isopod that replaces a human's tongue but can spit acid and digest non-food objects. your blood-drinking dart thing is cool as gently caress, if there was a race of liquid vampires why not have a bloodline which is just parasitic isopods living in the mouths of their revenants?
- a pair of lovers had their chairs forged into souls so now any time two people are sitting on the chairs at the same time their perspectives switch bodies and they experience life as another being
- a hedge ghost which manifests outside the hedge as the song Down To The River To Pray, by Alison Kraus, from the soundrack to the hit film Oh Brother, Where art Thou?
- Retrowave, and in fact all 80s nostalgia is the work of an extremely tight knit group of Ventrue who can only feed on people wearing Member's Only jackets.

this post took me like 15 minutes to write and those are all never before plagarized original content do not steal ideas. someone pay me for this poo poo.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

all good ideas!

So my werewolves are about to attack the heavily gaurded Ivory Claw/ Invictus/ Ordo Dracul bio lab that are creating the uratha/vampire hybrids that the pack knows as CHUDs. So far, they've only ever seen the beta CHUDs, small, child sized pale things with huge eyes and sharp claws. They're fast and hunt in packs, and are immune to mind based powers, allowing them to ignore the nosferatu's obsfucate powers. But, when they get into the lab, the pack is going to run into an Alpha CHUD. The alphas are the original creations, and while most escaped, the researchers were able to recapture one of them. These nasties are adult sized, heavily muscled and, when injured badly, have a garu form and kuruth like state. My players are not going to be prepared for this, as they're channeling most of their essence into a gatornado they've created in the levy holding back the swamp from the research facility.

Rand Brittain posted:

Someone made a statement about how Mage Revised exploded its own setting and how people reacted to that, which I think also applies to V5. They said it was like going into an apartment building and shooting every dog that was there, and also giving everybody a new puppy. The people who had zero dogs will say "Hey, thanks for the free puppy!" The people whose dog you just shot will not consider the new puppy sufficient recompense no matter how good the new puppy is.

There is no way to make a replacement puppy that will please the people whose perfectly-good original puppy you blew up to make room for the new model.

That makes Ferrinus John Wick, I guess. Nothing on these last few pages (except moon knight, good name, good posts, thanks) has made me want to play v5

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Soonmot posted:

gatornado

:goon:

wait no the meme where it just says go on.

look gently caress it either way, that sounds awesome. what is it?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

look gently caress it either way, that sounds awesome. what is it?

One of my players has water influence at 3, another has air influence at 3, one of their allies is an Ivory Claw, who's teaming up to stop what they see as an affront to the purity of the tribe in the abominations and also has water influence at 3. A third pack member has an alligator as a packmate and is really good with animals, they were able to corral eight gators. Finally, we have a rank 3 swamp spirit, The Mire, who's a vortex of swamp mud and rotting animal parts with a catfish's head that has alligator jaws.

The plan was to bend the water and air in the levy into a waterspout, the gators would swim into the waterspout and the The Mire would merge with it and guide it towards the fence line and buildings of the research center, loving up a bunch of guards along the way, after other pack members explode the levy.

Gatornado!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Oh, free talen idea, they used this to distract the guards:

Screaming sex doll

An old fashioned blow up sex doll, once it's inflated and given a slap on the rear end, it begins to run in whatever direction it was facing all while moaning at the top of it's lungs. To all visual senses, it appears a real, naked human. It stops when damaged or when it runs into an object, collapsing back into a plastic husk.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I'm not 100% solid on the concept of Hosts because I am Requignorant but here's some Assorted Gribblies to Ruin the Mood:

- a parasitic fungus that prays on Life sphere mages, propagated through the subject's own magic. At the apex of infection the subject is compelled to climb as high as they can and envelop as large an area as possible in a burst of life-boosting energy, coating the whole area in gnostic mycelium.
- an isopod that replaces a human's tongue but can spit acid and digest non-food objects. your blood-drinking dart thing is cool as gently caress, if there was a race of liquid vampires why not have a bloodline which is just parasitic isopods living in the mouths of their revenants?
- a pair of lovers had their chairs forged into souls so now any time two people are sitting on the chairs at the same time their perspectives switch bodies and they experience life as another being
- a hedge ghost which manifests outside the hedge as the song Down To The River To Pray, by Alison Kraus, from the soundrack to the hit film Oh Brother, Where art Thou?
- Retrowave, and in fact all 80s nostalgia is the work of an extremely tight knit group of Ventrue who can only feed on people wearing Member's Only jackets.

this post took me like 15 minutes to write and those are all never before plagarized original content do not steal ideas. someone pay me for this poo poo.

these and the CHUDs are kickass, but i am sad to say that theres already some evil parasitic isopods in Night Horrors: The Wicked Dead. they're isopods that make humans be vampires, but they're 100% natural because SOMETIMES REAL LIFE IS SCARIER THAN FICTION.

having them be an actual bloodline of vampires would be much cooler

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
maybe you'd be largely soft tissue attached to the isopod, such that removing yourself from your ghoul would inflict massive hemhorraging. you'd have reasonable protection against the light (provided you were awake) but your actual physical body is a freakshow and controlling your revenant is a jerky awkward process.

either way i love them and wish them all the luck in this crazy world of darkness of ours

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

MoonKnight posted:

2. That's one that hasn't been answered yet, it was on the list before WW was absorbed and Karim stopped answering questions.
That V5's basic combat mechanics require a developer Q&A and has open questions is an incredible red flag.

also re: linear char gen/geometric advancement discussion, another way to resolve it is to cut out the middleman and just directly award dots to the players. You could do so equally and arbitrarily("Background dot for everyone!"), randomly ("I roll the dice and...Chart says everyone gets a skill dot"), on a pattern ("Everyone got a background dot last time, so this time everyone gets a skill dot, and next time we advanced everyone will get a supernatural power dot"), or a bidding system ("There is a background dot, two skill dots, and a supernatural power dot up for auction").

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

maybe you'd be largely soft tissue attached to the isopod, such that removing yourself from your ghoul would inflict massive hemhorraging. you'd have reasonable protection against the light (provided you were awake) but your actual physical body is a freakshow and controlling your revenant is a jerky awkward process.

either way i love them and wish them all the luck in this crazy world of darkness of ours

that's a great idea, i present

Project Odsečen

(Pronounced Od-zet-shen)

The Pijavica, the now-lost clan of vampires who took the form of a mass of clotted vitae until they became potent enough to assume human form, have been one of the longest running fascinations of the Ordo Dracul. They represented a failed evolution of the vampiric form, but an evolution none the less. Their existence hinted at the potential of what a vampire could be, or could become, and that glimpse of the future was intoxicating. Most of the research on the clan was lost when their foremost scholar was slain, and her laboratory burned, but that has not deterred the Ordo.

One research group decided to take an approach that was controversial even among the Ordo Dracul. The Pijavica had proven that a vampire's consciousness, mind, or soul, whichever term you prefer, was not seated in the flesh of their corpse, brain or otherwise. It was in the vitae somewhere. But merely extracting all of the vitae from a suitably restrained vampire had the entirely expected result. The blood did not spring to life in the jar next to the lifeless body, it merely sat there, regardless of any provocation.

So a step back had to be taken. It was just basic logic that if you cut away every part of the body that was not a vampire, what you would be left with would be the core of the vampire. And so they tried. Many unfortunate kindred, some embraced purely for this purpose, fell under the scientist's blades.

They climbed a mountain of corpses to reach their goal, but reach it they did. They had resorted to the foulest alchemy and darkest blood sorcery to create their monster, a living, writhing spine, around which a heart and a clot of blood-filled soft tissue clung. Atop the wretched thing were a pair of shrunken jaws without a head, snapping their teeth at the empty air. What had been ribs were now bony, twitching insectile legs, with which the thing could attain some mobility.

There was just the question, of course, of what to do with it now.

The answer came from another department entirely. Attending a talk on the cutting edge art of tissue transplantation (and how that might be the panacea against the sun vampirekind craved), one of the group's scientists was struck with an idea. The surgery took nearly two days, but at the end of it their monster had been grafted into the body of a ghoul. The monster was the spinal remains of what had once been a Ventrue, so its powers of domination could hopefully be turned to a new end.

And against all the odds, it worked. The creature could operate its new body. It was completely, irretrievably insane, but it could walk, and even scream. Better still, it could endure the touch of the sun (provided it kept it's mouth closed). The scientists were beside themselves with joy, and more importantly pride. The project had had its flaws, but it was greater progress than anyone else had ever made in freeing the Kindred from their curse.

But sadly pride cometh before a fall. Just a week before they presented their pride and joy, now called 'Odsečen' ('Severed' in Serbian, the same language from which the Pijavica took their name) , disaster struck. One of the scientists, the Ventrue who had been crucial in securing experimental subjects, got too comfortable around the creature. He did not expect the toothed tongue to lash out as far as it did, and certainly did not expect the creature to vomit forth its tainted vitae into his veins.

He collapsed immediately, stricken with searing agony. His flesh rebelled against itself. Necrosis took hold. It was like he was being peeled apart, one layer at a time. Skin sloughed off, muscle melted, bone disintegrated. His spine spasmed and tore itself free from his back, yanking the jaws free of his head.

The newborn monstrosity devoured the pile of gore that had once been his body, to reclaim any vitae it had lost. It regurgitated the black, stinking slurry into the blood sluices beneath the operating table. It waited till almost dawn, when the ghoul janitor would be coming in to sanitise the lab. When the hapless servant entered, with a hoarse, whispery voice the monster spoke the key phrase to trigger the ghoul's conditioning. He fell to the ground, and the monster forced itself down his throat. When the shambling figure arose, it staggered over to the table to which the Odsečen was strapped, and triggered the subject disposal protocol.

Heavy fireproof blinds slid down from the ceiling, and he heard the whoosh of the flame jets ignite. He felt the creature die in his own blood. It was a mercy killing, really.

The thing in the ghoul's body staggered out into the daylight for the first time in a hundred years. The dawn of a new day, indeed.

Parent Clan: Ventrue
Nicknames: N/A, there are only a handful of Odsečen in existence and they value their secrecy
Covenants: The Odsečen avoid the Ordo Dracul like the plague. They know that if they were discovered their unlife would end on the dissection table. But there are plots in play within the other covenants. Strange ghouls belonging to distant, reclusive (and non-existent) elders have begun infiltrating the major covenants, seeking out highly placed Ventrue. The plan is to kidnap and forcibly induct them into the 'bloodline', then use their new family members to protect themselves from persecution by the Ordo Dracul. Whether this will work remains to be seen.
Backgrounds: Nearly every Odsečen so far has been sired by the same individual - the careless Ordo scientist. He has been hard at work expanding his brood, experimenting with different methods of Embrace to try and prevent new family members from going insane during the experience.
His most successful method thus far is to drug a mortal into unconsciousness, stake them, embrace them as they die, then feed their blood to an unsuspecting individual until they become bound to the still-staked, torpid vampire. Then they are knocked out, and the new Odsečen is implanted within the ghoul. The stake is then removed, the new vampire is fed, and the situation is explained. The sire prefers to explain the immortality part first, followed by the 'hideous parasite' part second.
It helps that he primarily recruits from the desperate, usually terminal cases he contacts through the internet. If their personality seems like a good fit, or at the very least pliable, he will seek to bring them into the fold.
Weakness: In addition to suffering the Ventrue curse (well, it does distance you from humanity someone to exist as an ambulatory spinal column), the Odsečen suffer the natural consequences of their condition. Their strength and dexterity suffer a -1 penalty for every point of blood potency they are below 7. This can't reduce either value to below 1. They also suffer appropriate penalties to anything that requires actual hands or humanoid physiology to perform.
Disciplines: Animalism, Dominate, Parasitism, Resilience

Parasitism

Possession- The Odsečen can hollow out a helpless ghoul to use as the body they lack. This affords them protection from the sun as long as they are in the body. It does not allow them to remain awake during the day any more than any other vampire, however. They cannot feed in broad daylight, as this would expose the parasite to the sun. While in the body they use the physical stats of the host, apart from stamina. They retain their own health boxes separately from the host body. If they leave the host, the host dies, as the parasite has essentially replaced their spine and several organs. [I was thinking of adding some extra vitae cost to maintain the body but I can't think of what would be fair, and also i was thinking if the host body is damaged enough (or in the right way) it begins to expose the parasite to daylight]

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Aug 1, 2019

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

now that we know that V5 is bad or whatever we can go back to talking about inventing different types of cool new vampire

My idea for a new kind of vampire - a vampire who doesn’t drink blood. They drink piss.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Metapod posted:

The player with more XP has more fun magical vampire powers they can use. Their fun magical vampire powers are also more powerful, increasing the chances that they'll be able to deal with a situation in a way that leaves everyone else's contributions irrelevant.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

You want :frogon:

GNU Order posted:

My idea for a new kind of vampire - a vampire who doesn’t drink blood. They drink piss.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

oh like the blood thing isn't a huge fetish for millions of lovely goths

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

thatbastardken posted:

oh like the blood thing isn't a huge fetish for millions of lovely goths
look man I see a chance to make a reference to http://gunshowcomic.com/471 I take it

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Zereth posted:

look man I see a chance to make a reference to http://gunshowcomic.com/471 I take it

fair enough

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

LatwPIAT posted:

The player with more XP has more fun magical vampire powers they can use. Their fun magical vampire powers are also more powerful, increasing the chances that they'll be able to deal with a situation in a way that leaves everyone else's contributions irrelevant.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

LatwPIAT posted:

fun is only measured in character sheets

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

GNU Order posted:

The Micturian Cult

"The piss is the life, the flowing milk." - Armitage Shanks, Micturian Guru

At the end of the day, vampirism is about theft of life. True, for most of the Kindred and their extended family, it is about blood. Blood, maybe flesh and fat on occasion. But every component of the human body contains life essence. Every fluid carries its fair share. Blood may be the richest, not-always-fatal source of Vitae, but there are others.

One in particular is given away by the millions of gallons a day.

Once upon a time urine was a valuable resource, collected in buckets, concentrated down to use in dyeing, tanning, and phosphorous production. It is at this point in history that the Cult of the Micturians has its origin. The Black Plague was in full swing, and people were in short supply. A vampire waking from torpor, desperate for sustenance, staggered out from his lair to find the township he inhabited completely empty of inhabitants. The next village was many miles away. He was dying.

Until he happened upon a bucket, that in his desperation he took to be blood. He drank deeply of the foul tasting, concentrated solution. His starving body found the thin essence of life within the rancid piss, and grabbed onto it. Four buckets later he was sated.

In modern nights the Micturians are the lowest of the low. Their cult is laughable. They drink gallons each day of what they call 'aqua vita', the water of life. They are bloated, jaundiced creatures, urea crusts beneath their dead skin. But they hold themselves to be truly enlightened. An eternal life, free of murder. They take a fraction of a fraction of the life essence of each individual in a city as they sup from the sewers. An amount regenerated in minutes.

But be warned, mortals. If ever you should find yourself shivering as you urinate, know that one of the Brothers Micturian is stealing from you.

Parent Clan: Daeva
Nicknames: Piss pigs, Yellow River Boys, Golden Idiots
Disciplines: Celerity, Vigor, Magical Realm

now as payment for writing this everyone has to say nice things about my other ideas I had.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Sour Diesel posted:

look if all the dots aren't equally meaningful we may as well just be playing tea party.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Sour Diesel posted:

I’ve noticed that you and your interchangeable duplicates keep making up insane statements no one’s made to get really righteously defensive about. Oh, so XP is the ONLY thing that matters, even to the exclusion of oxygen and water?! Oh, so it’s BAD that players can determine how their characters hunt?!!? Oh, you think 1-dot powers are useless?????

Why are you doing this? Are you just gambling that people won’t remember what they wrote or read the quote you’ve included in your own post?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Ferrinus is absolutely right. If two players can arrive at the same character sheet but one can do it in 5-15 fewer xp, the system is not sound.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Shrecknet posted:

Ferrinus is absolutely right. If two players can arrive at the same character sheet but one can do it in 5-15 fewer xp, the system is not sound.

well yea it's just really not some crisis that people seem to be losing their lid over

Ferrinus posted:

interchangeable duplicates

don't ever accuse me of being interchangeable with metapod ever again

Oberst
May 24, 2010

GNU Order posted:

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Sour Diesel posted:

Oberst
May 24, 2010

thatbastardken posted:

look if all the dots aren't equally meaningful we may as well just be playing tea party.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

now as payment for writing this everyone has to say nice things about my other ideas I had.

The mervamps are weird in a cool way, although I couldn’t imagine playing one in a game. But being a soggy gross dude who always trying to lure people to the beach could be fun.

Perhaps auspex? Any creature that lives at the bottom of the ocean would need some pretty advanced vision/detection ability

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Sour Diesel posted:

well yea it's just really not some crisis that people seem to be losing their lid over

It's an example of lovely brickwork. If you're someone who cares about how a structure is built, it's something to look for.

A lot of people are going to say "Who cares? The building isn't collapsing on me right now." But it's an indicator that other corners were cut, mistakes were made, and that the designers didn't really know what they were doing.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

your spamming is annoying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i updated the Odsečen post, they seem pretty mechanically complex so i would appreciate some help from Game Geniuses in adding some crunch. I envision it as basically combining the vampire and their ghoul into one character, who has some of the strengths and some of the weaknesses of both. maintaining the host body would be an expense, but would allow you to operate in daylight. Combat in daylight could be a bad idea though, a hole in the ghouls ribcage and suddenly lil mr vampire is facing the sun.

I did the weakness the way I did because I figure one that lives long enough will get strong enough it can bust out some like chestburster tail whip moves on suckers while its outside of a host, maybe do some face hugger poo poo.

maybe if they got really strong they could burrow into another vampire and diablerize them from the inside out.

There's a lot more poo poo you could do with a parasitic vampire freak i'm just kinda sleepy right now.

I would like to make these guys and maybe 1 more bloodline more crunchy, then write a little more lore for them and put them all together into a nice glossy pdf people can look at and use in their games as antagonists or PCs if they want.