Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 27 days!)

brugroffil posted:

most of the chud safaries on focused on rural/small town and more and more non-college whites rather than suburban professional class though. I think you're mixing up dem party leadership strategy and garbage media coverage a little bit tbh.

Small towns for all intents and purposes are suburbs from the standpoint of white flight. None of the people they're interviewing are farm laborers or people who work at the Albertson's, they're all petit bourgeois chuds who have the exact same values and material interests as suburbanites. You can't convince me they're not the exact same people because I've lived it my whole life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/ilhanmn/status/1156566985511264258?s=21

lol

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's really both. Non-whites are owned by the Democratic party and they don't vote, but suburban homeowners are a voter cohort that can supposedly be won over because they're the last vestiges of the "middle class" that Democrats love to jerk off. That "middle class" values are inherently reactionary is something they never really dwell on.

and every single policy they’ve pushed since what the 70s has been anti middle class. at least republicans pretend... Democrats don’t even bother.

the only cohort the democrats have are the members of the 10% like management consultants, bankers, dentists, doctors

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/jonathanweisman/status/1156571898433679360

loving owned

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vomik posted:

and every single policy they’ve pushed since what the 70s has been anti middle class.

I guess that depends on how you want to define the "middle class." If the middle class are just homeowners say, then the rates of homeownership have basically been the same since the 70s. That might seem "anti-middle class," but really they've also been supporting policies that only aim to raise property values and keep them going up indefinitely. The interests of the class are still being served, even if it's been shrinking because of people in the precariat who were underwater on their mortgages or just outright had their homes stolen in the wake of 2008.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Small towns for all intents and purposes are suburbs from the standpoint of white flight. None of the people they're interviewing are farm laborers or people who work at the Albertson's, they're all petit bourgeois chuds who have the exact same values and material interests as suburbanites. You can't convince me they're not the exact same people because I've lived it my whole life.

Farm workers are barely a thing any more mind between mechanisation and labour costs. Mostly they're just the bored and exploited teenage kids of farmers who haven't gtfo yet.(I should know) Ranging from variously stereotypical rednecks to surprisingly normal to deeply weird depending on whether their parents actually bother to let them have social lives.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Main Paineframe posted:

it's the natural endpoint of worshipping rurals as the only true Americans while sneering at cities as full of urban ivory tower cosmopolitans who've never seen the real America

Yeah, the view that my peeps are real and THOSE ONES are not real Americans is very old, this is just the latest iteration

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
At least in the south (in my experience), most small towns have 3 groups: The rich whites who own all the mansions just outside of towns, the poor whites who live around the town, and the poor blacks who live in/around the town. All of these groups are 100% segregated from one another except for some overlap between the first two groups.

All the rich people send their kids to private school, everyone attends racially segregated churches. it's been this way since literally the civil war. Whats upsetting things now is all the industry has died/gone and immigrants are moving in disrespecting the "established" segregation.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

this one’s still up tho

https://twitter.com/jonathanweisman/status/797120114042793984?s=21

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Farm workers are barely a thing any more mind between mechanisation and labour costs. Mostly they're just the bored and exploited teenage kids of farmers who haven't gtfo yet.(I should know) Ranging from variously stereotypical rednecks to surprisingly normal to deeply weird depending on whether their parents actually bother to let them have social lives.

There are plenty of farm workers, they're just non-white migrants with no voting rights

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
oh. my. god. becky. look. at. her. butt.

it. is. so. big.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So in the contest of worst piss take from last night's Dem debate, I humbly submit to you for your consideration ROSS ASSHAT: Joe Biden won because he wasn't there

e: Also they had a picture of the debate that I think was a photoshop, Bernie Sanders looked like he was doing a seagull imitation

Also submit: FRANK BRUNI: Sanders and Warren: together on Fantasy Island

Nebakenezzer has issued a correction as of 18:11 on Jul 31, 2019

coathat
May 21, 2007

https://harpers.org/blog/2019/07/revolution-to-the-end-a-guide-to-the-democratic-candidates-communists/

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
https://twitter.com/nkulw/status/1156626391938609152

https://twitter.com/gin_and_tacos/status/1156635889071775745

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Liz Mair (5/10) — Sanders made the same mistake Warren did: punching down.

Sarah Vowell (3/10) — When Senators Warren and Sanders dismissed legitimate critiques of their similar health plans, particularly the radical proposal of abolishing private health insurance, as “Republican talking points,” I was enraged to a degree that I cannot adequately describe in a family newspaper. An apology would be nice.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Do they not know what populism is? Or where the rust belt is?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Vomik posted:

Liz Mair (5/10) — Sanders made the same mistake Warren did: punching down.

Sarah Vowell (3/10) — When Senators Warren and Sanders dismissed legitimate critiques of their similar health plans, particularly the radical proposal of abolishing private health insurance, as “Republican talking points,” I was enraged to a degree that I cannot adequately describe in a family newspaper. An apology would be nice.

Maureen Dowd (10/10) — Sneer if you will, but a call for a little spiritual healing is in order in the unspiritual, racist, hate-filled era of Donald Trump. As Jaboukie Young-White, a “Daily Show” correspondent, tweeted, Williamson is about to be the first president to take the oath of office with her hand on a stack of Tarot cards. Debates are about the visceral, and Williamson has that down. Not since Admiral James Stockdale, a fan of the Stoic philosophers, opened the vice presidential debate in 1992 by asking “Who am I, why am I here?” has there been a line as arresting as this one by the philosopher of love: “If you think any of this wonkiness is going to deal with this dark psychic force of the collectivized hatred that this president is bringing up in this country, then I’m afraid that the Democrats are going to see some very dark days.”

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I don't know who Sarah Vowell is but she seems hilariously awful.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

if you correctly guess which candidate this is you officially follow politics too much

Liz Mair (9/10) — A virtual no-namer who seemed to garner more attacks from Sanders-Warren — both of whom were unnecessarily and dangerously punching down — than Donald Trump. Got way more oxygen than he deserved, and that’s what he wants and needs to stay alive. Now everyone knows his name. That wasn’t true before tonight. On trade, he and Beto are far closer to the actual Democratic electorate than Sanders-Warren, and he forced them to spend a lot of air time showing how out of step they are with their own voters. Bottom line: He got the big dogs to elevate him, which should have been completely impossible, and even if he’s not where the base is on policy overall, he’ll probably do better as a result — he can’t really do worse.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Only thing sweeter than GOP tears is Centrist succdem tears.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

is it really “punching down” if it’s just swatting at flies?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

ikanreed posted:

Do they not know what populism is? Or where the rust belt is?

Let me answer for tom friedman: no to both

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

ProperGanderPusher posted:

QFT

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

is it really “punching down” if it’s just swatting at flies?

I get it in comedy, but what in the love of god does it mean in this context

being mean to succdems?

Also lol at the implication from their supporters that the succdems are losers

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Mechafunkzilla posted:

If you've ever listened to This American Life you've almost certainly heard her. She's the one with the unusual voice that's insufferably twee--even for NPR.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

if you correctly guess which candidate this is you officially follow politics too much

Liz Mair (9/10) — A virtual no-namer who seemed to garner more attacks from Sanders-Warren — both of whom were unnecessarily and dangerously punching down — than Donald Trump. Got way more oxygen than he deserved, and that’s what he wants and needs to stay alive. Now everyone knows his name. That wasn’t true before tonight. On trade, he and Beto are far closer to the actual Democratic electorate than Sanders-Warren, and he forced them to spend a lot of air time showing how out of step they are with their own voters. Bottom line: He got the big dogs to elevate him, which should have been completely impossible, and even if he’s not where the base is on policy overall, he’ll probably do better as a result — he can’t really do worse.

I'm a big fan of this definition of punching down. Not the poor, minorities. Some politician running a futile presidential campaign.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Badger of Basra posted:

cool that the loving deputy Washington editor of the New York Times gets to post like a straight up Nazi and nothing will happen to him

I dunno. A bunch of people were kind of mean to him on Twitter, which is pretty much a digital guillotining. I feel bad for him!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

some rich white man no less

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

its unfair for a politician to attack another politician

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
how unfair for the failing Sanders to attack a man who ran because his patriotism was just that strong.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

christmas boots posted:

If you've ever listened to This American Life you've almost certainly heard her. She's the one with the unusual voice that's insufferably twee--even for NPR.

She clearly has a chip on her shoulder when it comes to Bernie. Bet you anything she thinks Hillary’s loss is all his fault as if Hilary shouldn’t have had to make herself likable or pay any attention to rust belt swing states.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

I get it in comedy, but what in the love of god does it mean in this context

being mean to succdems?

Also lol at the implication from their supporters that the succdems are losers

it’s not showing proper deference to a multi millionaire who profits off the health care status quo

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Dowd just thinks Delaney is mentally disabled.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

pospysyl posted:

Dowd just thinks Delaney is mentally disabled.

She's right

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

ProperGanderPusher posted:

It's so loving good

We will have a fine harvest this year

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/31/opinion/2020-democrats-change-structural.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

This dude - a professor of Sociology, no less! - writes a thousand word article when he could just have said: "Rich people will always find a way to avoid taxes, so why bother trying to make them pay? :smug:".

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Pistol_Pete posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/31/opinion/2020-democrats-change-structural.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

This dude - a professor of Sociology, no less! - writes a thousand word article when he could just have said: "Rich people will always find a way to avoid taxes, so why bother trying to make them pay? :smug:".

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Pistol_Pete posted:

if he could say it in just 20 words he wouldn't be a professor

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So Big Dumb Tom is attending a horseshit confrence someplace, have this really odd article on the mysterious GOP Congress retirement problem

Basically 'lots' of GOP Congresspeople are retiring

BUT WHY??!?!?!
  • it SUCKS not being in complete control and being able to do whatever horrible thing you want
  • and maybe being a partisan is no fun when you have to defend whatever the gently caress babby tump has just said/tweeted
  • The "lemmings" effect - that when a bunch of rats see rats fleeing a sinking ship, they want to flee as well. [Note: I'm pretty sure this was the original analogy as it makes sense but some editorial instinct felt it objectionable

COnclusion: Directed at the GOP political leadership: Maybe try being 'extra nice' to your peeps in congress because otherwise you're gonna have a problem

Nebakenezzer has issued a correction as of 15:20 on Aug 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1156922057856303105?s=20