Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

theflyingorc posted:

go to the correct page

You have not identified the problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

theflyingorc posted:

go to the correct page and mark the top post as read

Or just not read that dumb thread

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Wait can you mark posts as unread in the browser?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Yeah, just click the button with the little white rectangle in it beneath the avatar.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Insanite posted:

absolutely dying at this

"Mr. Epstein was willing to finance research that others viewed as bizarre. He told one scientist that he was bankrolling efforts to identify a mysterious particle that might trigger the feeling that someone is watching you."

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Ah yes, the Rockwell Particle

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

As a Philadelphian I'm not here to defend central PA, I'm acutely aware of how lovely that part of the state is. That's a real lovely example though, like it's clearly just removing the "to be" from "the car needs to be washed."

If they had any idea what they were talking about, they'd have known that the word is "worshed".

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Language is fluid, what the gently caress is wrong with people

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

purple death ray posted:

You have not identified the problem

That is 100% the problem as described

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

They may not remember the page number though

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

Baron von Eevl posted:

As a Philadelphian I'm not here to defend central PA, I'm acutely aware of how lovely that part of the state is. That's a real lovely example though, like it's clearly just removing the "to be" from "the car needs to be washed."

as a "noun needs verbed" user (though not from anywhere near PA) , the audacity of this loving CLOWN to talk poo poo on people about proper language usage (which isn't even a thing) while clearly being completely oblivious to the difference between the future perfect and future imperfect tenses is just sickening to me.

Also here's a lifehack for y'all: open quote links in incognito mode to be logged out and not ruin your place in the thread. Learn from my pain.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That's a nice language.

For a clown to speak.

At the circus.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
lifehack: realise you are never going to actually catch up on every single post in a megathread, and just skip to the most recent page anyway

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Phthisis posted:

as a "noun needs verbed" user (though not from anywhere near PA) , the audacity of this loving CLOWN to talk poo poo on people about proper language usage (which isn't even a thing) while clearly being completely oblivious to the difference between the future perfect and future imperfect tenses is just sickening to me.

The way he talks about pidgins and creoles and regional dialects like they're less valid is extremely racist and gross too. As you might say around your neck of the woods, he needs kicked in the dick.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Jabor posted:

lifehack: realise you are never going to actually catch up on every single post in a megathread, and just skip to the most recent page anyway

yeah i rarely post in the r/relationships thread anymore so you can just skip most pages

i burned out bright but i stand by the work i did.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I thought "noun needs verbed" and "do the needful" were from indian british english that came over here through the tech industry. How did hick rear end places like pennsylvania get that?

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

A Moose posted:

I thought "noun needs verbed" and "do the needful" were from indian british english that came over here through the tech industry. How did hick rear end places like pennsylvania get that?

Convergent evolution is a thing that happens, but that kind of thing happened here long before it did there, although probably for largely the same reasons.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Ariong posted:

Yeah, just click the button with the little white rectangle in it beneath the avatar.

This works by the way, and every single forum user should know it. You can mark a thread as "unread after this post". Getting to the correct page is still an open problem. The only solution I know of is to hit the back button until you see it in your User Control Panel, observe the count of how many posts you missed, don't click last unread (because it no longer works), then divide the number by 40 and go back that many pages. Then you can use the aforementioned white rectangle button to the left of the post.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Are YOU an SA Forums poweruser? Learn these simple tricks!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Alla yins are weird.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Lmao at anybody defending noun needs verbed. I'm not even a native English user and I know it sounds like you've got a learning disability. Just lol, rofl, hmbol.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dumb Lowtax posted:

This works by the way, and every single forum user should know it. You can mark a thread as "unread after this post". Getting to the correct page is still an open problem. The only solution I know of is to hit the back button until you see it in your User Control Panel, observe the count of how many posts you missed, don't click last unread (because it no longer works), then divide the number by 40 and go back that many pages. Then you can use the aforementioned white rectangle button to the left of the post.

I don't see this button at all, and I never have. Is this maybe an SALR thing or something?

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Son of Rodney posted:

Lmao at anybody defending noun needs verbed. I'm not even a native English user and I know it sounds like you've got a learning disability. Just lol, rofl, hmbol.

They're American, they can't help it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Arivia posted:

I don't see this button at all, and I never have. Is this maybe an SALR thing or something?

No it's standard on SA. The leftmost one.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

A Moose posted:

Throw in some German idiom via the Pennsylvania Dutch. "Throw the cow over the fence some hay."

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Throw me down the stairs my shoes.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

dee eight posted:

Throw in some German idiom via the Pennsylvania Dutch. "Throw the cow over the fence some hay."

Make sure the cow has wooder.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
That's a weird way to spell uada.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

cumshitter posted:

Wow. Lots of hatred and prejudice against Rape Culture in this thread. Last year, my husband and I went to a cultural event held by our local embassy and it was really eye opening for me. I had no idea how beautiful and storied their culture and history were.

Edit: My mistake. My husband just informed me we went to the Saudi Embassy, and I have been mispronouncing the word "Arabia" since then. He never corrected me because he thought it was funny.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

I'm on pc and there's no button.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

:vince:

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Noun needs verbed is a valid construction and is distinct from 'Noun needs to be verbed'.

Someone with native proficiency can tell you that while 'The car needs to be washed by Jim' is hunky-dory, 'The car needs washed by Jim' is not.

Somebody who knows linguistics blathers on about it here:

https://literalminded.wordpress.com/2010/01/29/special-needs/

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Korgan posted:

I'm on pc and there's no button.

User Profile -> Edit Options -> Show an icon next to each post indicating if it has been seen or not: yes

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

I'm on pc and there is a button.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

ToxicFrog posted:

User Profile -> Edit Options -> Show an icon next to each post indicating if it has been seen or not: yes

:vince:

In 12 years on the forums I have never known this. You have just vastly improved my forums-browsing experience.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

I'm on pc and there is no button.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
I took a screencap and drew a little green circle in the bottom left corner so I could be cool like you guys but I can’t attach it to this post because I’m on the awful app on mobile. :(

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm painting a mental image of it and it looks wonderful.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

This lady has the right of it, it’s an option in the control panel we had turned off.

Arivia has a new favorite as of 14:21 on Aug 1, 2019

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Also turn on YouTube embeds while you're in there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

Thank you ToxicFrog

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm on pc and there is a button.

what the