Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:58 on Mar 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sincx posted:

It's like the pizza delivery van vs the magnetic skateboard courier from Snow Crash, except much, much dumber.

it was a pizza delivery supercar actually

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Deliverator’s car has enough potential energy packed into its batteries to fire a pound of bacon into the Asteroid Belt. Unlike a bimbo box or a Burb beater, the Deliverator’s car unloads that power through gaping, gleaming, polished sphincters. When the Deliverator puts the hammer down, poo poo happens. You want to talk contact patches? Your car’s tires have tiny contact patches, talk to the thee asphalt in four places the size of your tongue. The Deliverator’s car has big sticky tires with contact patches the size of a fat lady’s thighs. The Deliverator is in touch with the road, starts like a bad day, stops on a peseta.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 04:27 on Aug 1, 2019

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Platystemon posted:

The Deliverator's car has enough potential energy packed into its batteries to fire a pound of bacon into the asteroid Belt. Unlike a bimbo box or a Burb beater, the Deliverator's car unloads that power through gaping, gleaming, polished sphincters. When the Deiverator puts the hammer down, poo poo happens. You want to talk contact patches? Your car's tires have tiny contact patches, talk to the thee asphalt in four places the size of your tongue. The Deliverator's car has big sticky tires with contact patches the size of a fat lady's thighs. The Deliverator is in touch with the road, starts like a bad day, stops on a peseta.

This is indistinguishable from the actual book.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

MokBa posted:

thats cause its directly from the book.

Doesnt he end up putting the car into a swimming pool

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
ya hes trying to make his delivery in time but fails, pissing off the mob

:capitalism:

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

sincx posted:

It's like the pizza delivery van vs the magnetic skateboard courier from Snow Crash, except much, much dumber.

You called

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sincx posted:

Wrong sci-fi dystopian novel

the protagonist from the literal novel being discussed is from the wrong dystopian novel yes

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

MokBa posted:

sincx posted:

Wrong sci-fi dystopian novel

shameful

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lmfao have none of you nerds read snow crash for real. It has a real distinct tone and come on how do you not remember the protagonist literally being named protagonist

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Larry Parrish posted:

Lmfao have none of you nerds read snow crash for real. It has a real distinct tone and come on how do you not remember the protagonist literally being named protagonist

that is literally written so blandly you can't remember it

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Larry Parrish posted:

hiro protagonist, the best samurai hacker pizza deliverman in existence. who helped create the matrix and also added in swordfighting to the base code because he's a giant loving nerd.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Its distinct because it reads like the post about the celebrity youtuber mecha fighting over ad reads, or the Ron Paul one about paying the Verizon bill in bullion but takes itself completely serious

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

that is literally written so blandly you can't remember it

What, don't you like reading hundreds of pages of detail about the nam-shub of enki?

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I do love me victorian nanopunk

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

sincx posted:

Oh gently caress I misremembered

Oh well

Diamond Age was better anyways

Cryptonomicon/ Baroque cycle will always have my heart.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

exmachina posted:

Cryptonomicon/ Baroque cycle will always have my heart.

Musings on the ideal wank frequency for optimal productivity vs. dude with half his penis chopped off getting prostate massaged to orgasm.

Tough choice.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Yeah but that is just to provide relief ;) from the pages on Van Eeck Phreaking and early modern financial theory

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
I often think about Snow Crash just because it was trying to be a parody but ended up being far more prophetic than serious cyberpunk

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

I like the part of snow crash where the protagonist is in a gunfight with a bunch of apartheid enthusiasts, and his augmented reality goggles are giving him such detailed information about the threats and specific gun calibers facing him that he finds it distracting from the business at hand (cutting off heads and escaping).

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Asimov posted:

I like the part of snow crash where the protagonist is in a gunfight with a bunch of apartheid enthusiasts, and his augmented reality goggles are giving him such detailed information about the threats and specific gun calibers facing him that he finds it distracting from the business at hand (cutting off heads and escaping).

The part where he splurged on to taking a premium poo poo was pretty good too.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Asimov posted:

And when he gets shot several times in the back of his extremely durable motorcycle jacket the goggles immediately give him the exact details of how badly he's just been injured.

Also the part where YT harpoons the harpooner with her poon. Or the magic hover poon. Lotta poon jokes.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Really could have stood to lose a few hundred words near the end concerning the dentata, though.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Powered Descent posted:

What, don't you like reading hundreds of pages of detail about the nam-shub of enki?
You laugh, but then Hobby Lobby paid ISIS for smuggled Babylonian artifacts like four years ago

somehow even the dumbest fiction predicts reality

edit: oh cool they got sent back last year

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man says 'I feel foolish' after learning mother's body was sold to US army, strapped to chair and blown up

quote:

Jim Stauffer donated his mother's corpse for medical research when she died in 2013 after suffering with Alzheimer’s disease.

But the 74-year-old’s body was then passed to the army where it was strapped to a chair before a bomb was detonated underneath it.

Military records show that at least 20 other cadavers were also used in blast tests - designed to offer an insight into what exactly happens to bomb victims - without the knowledge of relatives. BRC sold each one for $5,893."
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-army-blast-testing-dead-body-chair-bomb-explosion-a9029121.html

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pissing into the wind venture capitalist style

https://www.engadget.com/2019/08/01/birds-latest-rideshare-scooter-is-designed-to-thwart-vandals/

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/01/tech/robot-racism-scn-trnd/index.html

techbros treat black robots worse than whtie robots

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

ekuNNN posted:

Man says 'I feel foolish' after learning mother's body was sold to US army, strapped to chair and blown up

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-army-blast-testing-dead-body-chair-bomb-explosion-a9029121.html

quote:

The centre’s owner Stephen Gore pleaded guilty to running an illegal enterprise in 2015 and was sentenced to serve probation. He has been named in the new law suit.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

From the article:

quote:

The Bird Two comes with autonomous damage sensors, seamless screws, anti-theft encryption, puncture-proof tyres and an industrial-grade anti-tipping kickstand -- so they're far less likely to end up scratched, battered or at the bottom of a river.

How does any of that poo poo stop someone from throwing it into a river?

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Someone left a drat scooter on my neighbor's lawn and it was there for several days because they were out of town. I live in a neighborhood that people like to scoot TO but rarely FROM.

Jonny 290 posted:

thats cause its directly from the book.

Doesnt he end up putting the car into a swimming pool

Well I got really Poe's Law'd with that. Even my memory of the book isn't quite as insane as the reality of it.

That said the future predicted in that novel is indistinguishable from the contents of this thread.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

MokBa posted:

Someone left a drat scooter on my neighbor's lawn and it was there for several days because they were out of town. I live in a neighborhood that people like to scoot TO but rarely FROM.

Well I got really Poe's Law'd with that. Even my memory of the book isn't quite as insane as the reality of it.

That said the future predicted in that novel is indistinguishable from the contents of this thread.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

When it gets down to it — talking trade balances here — once we've brain-drained all our technology into other countries, once things have evened out, they're making cars in Bolivia and microwave ovens in Tadzhikistan and selling them here — once our edge in natural resources has been made irrelevant by giant Hong Kong ships and dirigibles that can ship North Dakota all the way to New Zealand for a nickel — once the Invisible Hand has taken away all those historical inequities and smeared them out into a broad global layer of what a Pakistani brickmaker would consider to be prosperity — y'know what? There's only four things we do better than anyone else:
music
movies
microcode (software)
high-speed pizza delivery

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Movies? Real debatable that one

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is there a single musical style that hasn't either originated in the us or heavily heavily influenced by one that did

that said all the musical heritage of the us is built on black people. its blues and rap that are hugely influential, not arena rock and the kind of bullshit easy listening they put in fallout games

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Larry Parrish posted:

is there a single musical style that hasn't either originated in the us or heavily heavily influenced by one that did

Heroic ballads sung by viking skalds? Also everything else from before the US existed.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

silentsnack posted:

Heroic ballads sung by viking skalds? Also everything else from before the US existed.

THERE WAS NO SUCH TIME, CITIZEN

NOW PLEASE RETURN TO POSTING ON FACEBOOK, WE MUST FEED THE ALGORITHM MORE DATA

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Larry Parrish posted:

that said all the musical heritage of the us is built on black people. its blues and rap that are hugely influential, not arena rock and the kind of bullshit easy listening they put in fallout games

music was invented by elvis

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nobody listens to sagas anymore. dont be a dumbass. i meant stuff thats actually listened to today. and its not entirely corporate imperialism either, why does basically every language have its own underground hip hop scene if its only popular because of hollywood?

also, elvis specifically is basically the original example of white people stealing black music. dont be a disingenuous shitstain tia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Larry Parrish posted:

dont be a dumbass.
:ironicat: