Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

So I'm playing the firebird wizard with the icy-veins meteor build. Is there any good reason not to use Ring of Royal Grandeur instead of Convention of Elements to let me swap out the set shoulder piece for Mantle of Channeling and get that much more damage and armor while stationary? Seems like it plays in really well to the Flame Ward/Compass Rose set/etc style play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Convention of Elements boosts your damage by up to twice as much as the shoulders.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Nehru the Damaja posted:

So I'm playing the firebird wizard with the icy-veins meteor build. Is there any good reason not to use Ring of Royal Grandeur instead of Convention of Elements to let me swap out the set shoulder piece for Mantle of Channeling and get that much more damage and armor while stationary? Seems like it plays in really well to the Flame Ward/Compass Rose set/etc style play.

Fun > optimal. If you find CoE tedious/unfun/not worth it, absolutely replace it with something else that helps without being either of those things. Eventually you might reach the point where you need it to push those last GRs, but until then do whatever!

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Is it viable/worthwhile to do a petless Necromancer? I'm not super into pet classes but corpse explosions and blood novas sound like my idea of a good time.

The most viable petless Necromancer build, is a Wizard of just about any kind.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Is it viable/worthwhile to do a petless Necromancer? I'm not super into pet classes but corpse explosions and blood novas sound like my idea of a good time.

Depends on what you consider "viable/worthwhile". Tornado Brawler Necro is pretty great for speedfarming and not bad for pushing, but you're not going to get the same mileage as other builds.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Got through several levels of the cathedral in my last play through before trying one of those rift challenge he's (first time playing this game) and my wizard got some spell where he sits put and starts firing off arcane torpedoes or something. Just shredded everything, especially when I got some crazy strong spellbook. Was a riot and I was giggling just pointing in different directions.

In short, I got bit by the bug.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Can I play without the necro pack? I have RoS

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

codo27 posted:

Can I play without the necro pack? I have RoS

Yep.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

TraderStav posted:

Got through several levels of the cathedral in my last play through before trying one of those rift challenge he's (first time playing this game) and my wizard got some spell where he sits put and starts firing off arcane torpedoes or something. Just shredded everything, especially when I got some crazy strong spellbook. Was a riot and I was giggling just pointing in different directions.

In short, I got bit by the bug.

Arcane Torrent is that spell.

Channelling wizard builds can be pretty good, quite a few items to support then plus the Tal Rasha set can be used if you want.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Firebird's Finery is better up front once you've got all the bits, Arcane Torrent plus meteors dropping all around!

That said all I want to do is a solid Vyr's but I can not get The Swami to drop :(

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Firebird is super wonky and not really fun. Tal's is the poo poo.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Weird/annoying things about Firebird:

You poo poo out humongous amounts of damage but it's super inconsistent because your meteors can just barely miss the target repeatedly, or they can land spot on and erase them.
Elites and bosses melt faster than normal enemies.
Your protection is mostly tied to standing still and eating melee attacks. Compass Rose set is your only real defense when moving and rifts with primarily ranged enemies like spear hunters will eat you alive.

To its credit, it's the easiest set dungeon I've ever done, so there's that. And Etched Sigil is really the only non-set item you need to be "online" in a meaningful way. You definitely want all the other stuff but you're not going to be an incomplete do-nothing train wreck without the belt or bracers or whatever so long as you have Etched Sigil.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Clear this week's NA CR with 3 and a half minutes to spare on the first try. Did the guy just stop for a sandwich halfway through and then come back or something?

Meanwhile I remember past runs where they found some idiot savant with a build that dies if someone even looks at you funny and 0 damage boosting items and they clear it 2 minutes faster than me.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Ugh, for real?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
the chances of any given primal being useful are pretty slim

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
My welfare primal this season was a Unity that was only slightly better than the ancient version I was using. I was able to roll off main stat so I can use it on any class, in theory.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Rinkles posted:

the chances of any given primal being useful are pretty slim

I guess I'm just spoiled that the last season I ran I got a primal of the IK chest for my barb.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

when should we know the next season's date?

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
They posted today on the official forums that this season is ending on the 18th. The new season is usually 2 weeks after that so around the end of the month.

PTR was very :effort: so we'll probably see record low numbers of players :smith:

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I'm 2 conquests and some gem grinding away from my space wings. Switching to Vyr's/Chantodo's was a huge spike in effectiveness over Firebird.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Don't think I've ever done a HC run proper in this, what's a good HC build for a quick 70 and some GR climb before the season is up? I was thinking necro corpse lance or demon hunter but idk any DH builds right now...I hate turrets.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Swilo posted:

They posted today on the official forums that this season is ending on the 18th. The new season is usually 2 weeks after that so around the end of the month.

PTR was very :effort: so we'll probably see record low numbers of players :smith:

The idea of a spontaneous effect that's only going to free up a gear slot on a follower is loving lol. If the rewards for next season are just as meh as the seasonal bonus, I might skip it entirely, considering that right now I think all the time I'd normally be pouring into Diablo 3 on my Switch is indefinitely going to be taken up by Fire Emblem, and MUA3.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I dunno, I feel like this effect actually changes your play style rather than have you do the same thing but bigger numbers. The effects are unique and can't generally be gained by other means.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

bamhand posted:

I dunno, I feel like this effect actually changes your play style rather than have you do the same thing but bigger numbers. The effects are unique and can't generally be gained by other means.

Except for the extremely common ring that provides the exact same benefit and that everyone in the world just throws on their follower?

I’m mixed about this because with the gem they’ve effectively indefinitely continued the season of Nightmares but then this season they give us practically nothing.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
The ring doesn't give you reduced cooldown or resource costs. Both of which can significantly alter how you play. I'm not saying the effect is super exciting or anything but it actually changes how you play instead of making you tankier or do more damage.

I guess what I'm saying is the last two seasons were actually more boring than this because they just meant you shove a unity or CoE into your build rather than this new season is a fantastic new thing.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Those bonus rings are cool for ranged/pet classes where you can run to them when they spawn but they are pretty useless for the builds I play on my Barb and Sader since they are all about getting right up in motherfuckers faces and ain't got time for moving into a glowing circle that appeared half a screen away.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Tokubetsu posted:

Don't think I've ever done a HC run proper in this, what's a good HC build for a quick 70 and some GR climb before the season is up? I was thinking necro corpse lance or demon hunter but idk any DH builds right now...I hate turrets.
DH is a bit squishy until you gear up but once you do multishot is a great room clearer or Shadow hunter is a fun elite hunter.

Helltooth Witch Doctor is my go to for my first HC of the season but it's slow as mud just super easy survivablity.

Add me Darkhold#1887 if you want a carry. If you do decide to use either a DH or a WD I can give you some cast off gear along with the carry. I briefly had a necro but I lost it midseason.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

5er posted:

If the rewards for next season are just as meh as the seasonal bonus, I might skip it entirely

Good news! There are no new rewards if you already have them because they stated from now on they will just be recycling previous seasons. No new stash slot, no new cosmetics, no new pet, nothing.

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005

Swilo posted:

Good news! There are no new rewards if you already have them because they stated from now on they will just be recycling previous seasons. No new stash slot, no new cosmetics, no new pet, nothing.

They added 5 more stash slots, but you can only get one per season (on PC) so that's something to work towards.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
Pretty sure they rolled that back to a single new tab, my dude. The spaghetti code can’t handle every player having that much storage, apparently.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think this is the first time we've had new item changes in like two years so I'm most excited about those tbqh.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

exquisite tea posted:

I think this is the first time we've had new item changes in like two years so I'm most excited about those tbqh.

:same: The more useless legendary items they remove from the pool, the better.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s weird that we have untexted legendaries at this point.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Nailbiter will forever be a piece of poo poo, it's just the way of things.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Just imagine a reworked blackthorn's. :allears:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Suburban Dad posted:

Just imagine a reworked blackthorn's. :allears:

Blackthorn's update: game now plays the price is right loser sound each time a piece drops.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

Russad posted:

Pretty sure they rolled that back to a single new tab, my dude. The spaghetti code can’t handle every player having that much storage, apparently.

It was even bugged on the PTR and would visually unlock another tab but you couldn't actually store anything in it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

How many stash tabs does one person really need anyway.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

always more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I started playing in the seasons with the sole goal of unlocking stash tabs.

Now I never play anything but seasonal characters.