Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

marktheando posted:

The separation scene just goes on forever and ever, feels almost TMP like.

More season one thoughts, I know Worf never really stops being kind of an idiot, but he's practically a comic relief character at this point. Growling at Q and he was about to shoot the view screen in Farpoint.

up till “Heart of Glory” Worf is basically an insulting caricature as token minority, but from an ethnic group that doesn’t actually exist, which is would be kind of impressive if there was any intent behind it and not just laziness/inability of old man Gene to give a gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I know they planned to do the saucer separation as a regular thing, but I wonder if they also planned to play the theme song every time it happened?

Incidentally, you know what other show had a recurring ship-change-shape sequence that blasted the theme song?

That's right, Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers.

I think that's literally exactly the thing they were going for. Footage that could be re-used to fill time with something exciting and expensive-looking. They didn't fall back on that crutch very often because they didn't need to.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Sir Lemming posted:

I think that's literally exactly the thing they were going for. Footage that could be re-used to fill time with something exciting and expensive-looking. They didn't fall back on that crutch very often because they didn't need to.

you have to lock that stuff in by the pilot too, otherwise the producers will never budge to get you a more expensive set

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

the battle bridge

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

oh yeah they used the battle bridge as a set for many other spaceships didn't they, gotta lock that down in the pilot

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
The battle bridge was just a redress of the movie Enterprise bridge set, which had been around since TMP. Even without the separation sequence in the pilot, the set would have been around and available to redress again and again (I believe it was also the laboratory that Lal was born in).

No, the bigger motivation was definitely getting the stock footage of the ship exteriors done, especially because during TNG pre-production, the idea was that they were going to shoot a big batch of stock footage before the series and in between seasons, and then rely almost exclusively on that stock footage for the Enterprise exteriors. This went out the window basically immediately after production started, but it was almost certainly a big motivator behind cramming the episode full of as many exterior shots as they could.

Also, I'm not sure if they knew this when they were doing the writing, but TNG lucked out and got to hire ILM on the cheap. Allegedly it was because ILM was between jobs and something was better than nothing. Either way, it was certainly to TNG's advantage to get as much footage out of ILM as they could while they could.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I had totally forgotten until I rewatched 'Farpoint' that immediately after Picard makes Riker watch the first part of the episode, he makes Riker do a manual saucer re-connection just to be a dick.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The battle bridge was just a redress of the movie Enterprise bridge set, which had been around since TMP. Even without the separation sequence in the pilot, the set would have been around and available to redress again and again (I believe it was also the laboratory that Lal was born in).

No, the bigger motivation was definitely getting the stock footage of the ship exteriors done, especially because during TNG pre-production, the idea was that they were going to shoot a big batch of stock footage before the series and in between seasons, and then rely almost exclusively on that stock footage for the Enterprise exteriors. This went out the window basically immediately after production started, but it was almost certainly a big motivator behind cramming the episode full of as many exterior shots as they could.

Also, I'm not sure if they knew this when they were doing the writing, but TNG lucked out and got to hire ILM on the cheap. Allegedly it was because ILM was between jobs and something was better than nothing. Either way, it was certainly to TNG's advantage to get as much footage out of ILM as they could while they could.
I know that they later used that set for the Enterprise-C bridge, and I believe it's also the bridge of the Stargazer in 'The Battle'

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

How many shuttle craft does Voyager lose in total? So far by episode 5 of season 4 it is up to 3 shuttles. How does Voyager replace these things?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
https://twitter.com/writergeekrhw/status/1156714753143611392?s=19

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

.......oh, god, is that timeline supposed to imply that Ziyal is Kira's half-sister??

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The intro sequence of TNG still looks great today in the HD rescan, which for something made 30+ years ago for television is amazing.

edit: Based on that timeline DS9 is only 18 years old at the start of the show? I always assumed it was much older.

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Aug 1, 2019

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

FlamingLiberal posted:

I had totally forgotten until I rewatched 'Farpoint' that immediately after Picard makes Riker watch the first part of the episode, he makes Riker do a manual saucer re-connection just to be a dick.

It was weird how antagonistic Picard was to Riker at first, like he didn't want him on his ship. Especially considering Gene's philosophy of "no conflicts between the crew."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something I found amusing was them making Troi and Worf a thing. In at least two episodes they pair off, on in which Troi is hallucinating a relationship with him due to a psychic imprint, and the next time when they all deevolve he tries to mate with Troi, which was a great episode because it was just giving the makeup artists room to do whatever they wanted:

Writer: And then Barkley turns into.... uhhhh...
Makeup Guy: Ooooh, ooh! A Spider! Can we turn him into a spider? Go full Brundle-fly on him!?
Writer: Why the hell not. Also, make Worf a Lobster who spits acid.
Makeup guy and Michael Dorn in unison: Hell yeah!

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

BioEnchanted posted:

Something I found amusing was them making Troi and Worf a thing. In at least two episodes they pair off, on in which Troi is hallucinating a relationship with him due to a psychic imprint, and the next time when they all deevolve he tries to mate with Troi, which was a great episode because it was just giving the makeup artists room to do whatever they wanted:

Writer: And then Barkley turns into.... uhhhh...
Makeup Guy: Ooooh, ooh! A Spider! Can we turn him into a spider? Go full Brundle-fly on him!?
Writer: Why the hell not. Also, make Worf a Lobster who spits acid.
Makeup guy and Michael Dorn in unison: Hell yeah!

Lol yeah I am sure Michael Dorn was like, "hell yeah, MORE makeup!"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
To be fair that one was probably more bodysuit and fitted mask than actual makeup.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Voyager travels to 1996! I didn't know this episode existed. It's... so incredibly 1996. I've never experienced 1996 so intensely, even though I lived through the year and possibly even saw this episode live and forgot about it.

Sarah Silverman is flirting with Tom Paris and I am not drunk enough for this.

Now right wing doomsday preppers are shooting the Doctor with a shotgun and there's the lamest car chase between a VW camper and a tractor trailer. Star Trek.

Jesus. People give Voyager poo poo, but it's sure as heck not boring. Sometimes.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I... like, that episode?

Certainly not because it's good or because it has any real redeeming features whatsoever but for some reason it hits all the right buttons for brain off entertainment. It's stupid in a way that most people can't purposely conceive of and as a result it's a sick sort of fun.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

The next episode begins with that gif of the zoom in on Neelix's feet as he dances with women in swimsuits people keep posting here. I want to go back to 1996 already.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

I said come in! posted:

How many shuttle craft does Voyager lose in total? So far by episode 5 of season 4 it is up to 3 shuttles. How does Voyager replace these things?

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Not the Voyager, but I did that stage 9 Enterprise D VR walkthrough some months back that is supposedly based on the ship layout plans as imagined.

I took the turbo lift down to the shuttlebay C or something and there were hundreds of the drat things in each variant off in each direction. Supposedly that's what you'd see if you just turned the camera around from the one corner of the bay with the one shuttle that's in frame. No wonder they seem to never sweat crashing or blowing them up.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Isometric Bacon posted:

Not the Voyager, but I did that stage 9 Enterprise D VR walkthrough some months back that is supposedly based on the ship layout plans as imagined.

I took the turbo lift down to the shuttlebay C or something and there were hundreds of the drat things in each variant off in each direction. Supposedly that's what you'd see if you just turned the camera around from the one corner of the bay with the one shuttle that's in frame. No wonder they seem to never sweat crashing or blowing them up.

Yeah, but the D's a mobile starbase, it's got something like literally ten times the volume of Voyager. The Delta Flyer wouldn't even fit through the doors of Voyager's shuttlebay.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Aug 1, 2019

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I know the answer is “because Voyager” but how the gently caress did space-redneck Tom Paris build not one, but two gigantic Delta Flyers in his spare time?

The drat thing has a warp core, escape pods, and a full size aft cargo bay thing :psyduck:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I know the answer is “because Voyager” but how the gently caress did space-redneck Tom Paris build not one, but two gigantic Delta Flyers in his spare time?

He designed it in his spare time, but building it was a full-team effort for a week.

Maybe they stripped an existing shuttle for the stuff like the warp system and fitted them into a new spaceframe with upgrades.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Janeway vastly overestimated how many nebulas would need to be harvested for her coffee

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

piratepilates posted:

you have to lock that stuff in by the pilot too, otherwise the producers will never budge to get you a more expensive set

The expensive set they wrote a tiny scene for to lock down was engineering actually. Picard walks through it a bit at the start of the episode and that's it.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

.......oh, god, is that timeline supposed to imply that Ziyal is Kira's half-sister??

The timeline specifically says who both Kira and Ziyal's parents are, so no.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Perhaps these shuttles are mostly assembled IKEA pieces made from industrial sized replicators.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Shuttles are actually a self-replicating plague the Federation is trying to eliminate. Every shuttle crash is actually a deliberate attempt to cull their numbers before they breed out of control.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The Shuttle With Tribbles

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Whalley posted:

Janeway vastly overestimated how many nebulas would need to be harvested for her coffee

Overestimated? You saw how crazy Janeway was getting after seven years of half-ration coffee.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Watching TNG Time Squared. God I loved these kinds of episodes. Same for Where Silence Has Lease.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

The expensive set they wrote a tiny scene for to lock down was engineering actually. Picard walks through it a bit at the start of the episode and that's it.

That might explain why The Orville's engineering set looks so cheap compared to their other ones, they didn't go there until episode 4 or 5

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Overestimated? You saw how crazy Janeway was getting after seven years of half-ration coffee.

Imagine if O'Brien was on the Voyager and couldn't order his "Coffee, Jamaican style, DOUBLE SWEET, DOUBLE STRONG" every single time he passed a replicator.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

That might explain why The Orville's engineering set looks so cheap compared to their other ones, they didn't go there until episode 4 or 5

Also what is up with Disco's engineering set? Originally I thought it was supposed to be Stamets science lab, with the cell for milking the nipple clamped monster and his mycelliuwhatever forest, but it seemed somewhere along the line it became engineering with a couple of glowy canisters on the walls.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Isometric Bacon posted:

Also what is up with Disco's engineering set? Originally I thought it was supposed to be Stamets science lab, with the cell for milking the nipple clamped monster and his mycelliuwhatever forest, but it seemed somewhere along the line it became engineering with a couple of glowy canisters on the walls.

Yeah also the ship with the most engineering we've ever seen other than maybe the Prometheus doesn't have a chief engineer, apparently

I fee like they really just didn't think about it. We've never seen the warp core or anything but they started interchangeably referring to the spore lab as engineering. :mad:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The Bloop posted:

Yeah also the ship with the most engineering we've ever seen other than maybe the Prometheus doesn't have a chief engineer, apparently

I fee like they really just didn't think about it. We've never seen the warp core or anything but they started interchangeably referring to the spore lab as engineering. :mad:

Doesn't Disco have a TOS-style warp core (or at least something evocative of it) on the back wall of the spore lab thing? At work and can't be hosed to take 20 minutes to try to find a screenshot.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I thought it was Engineering and it contained all the spore stuff because that was one of Disco's methods of propulsion? I think it makes sense that the Spore Drive would be in the same area as the Warp Drive.

Also the glowy cylinders contained the spore samples, they were essentially fuel cells for the Spore Drive.

e: there's definitely a warp core in the back of the room:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Drone posted:

Doesn't Disco have a TOS-style warp core (or at least something evocative of it) on the back wall of the spore lab thing? At work and can't be hosed to take 20 minutes to try to find a screenshot.

Looks like it, yeah.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Crossfield_class?file=USS_Discovery_Engineering.jpg