Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Timby posted:

I have to admit, Trek did a really good job of hiding that Doohan had only four fingers on his right hand. (He lost his right middle finger during D-Day.) There are only a few times it's visible between the original series and the movies.

That’ll teach him to give armed Nazis the finger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Was there a movie that had a 3D recreation of Salvador Dali's "The Sacrament of the Last Supper", or at least featured it or something like it at some point? It would have been made in likely the 1970s or maybe 1980s. I have faint memories of it being sci-fi/fantasy along the lines of a Kurt Vonnegut story, and associate it with the look of Soylent Green and Rollerball. I seem to recall the camera moving through the frame of one of the windows, but it might even have been just a slow zoom on a still image. It was possibly a TV movie, since I'm fairly sure I did not see it in a theater.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

30 seconds into Lords of Acid's Sex Bomb there's an audio clip that I've felt like is from a movie but I've never been able to place. Song came out in 2000 so it'd be before that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zks6NOR2zqY&t=29s

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
There was an animated movie I never saw as a child but had a trailer on some vhs or another. The only things I can remember is it was a fantasy and the hero (who I think was a young teen male) fought a shadow lord(?) in a dungeon and they were making a big deal out of a candle/torch going out. I know that's not a lot to go on. Animation style may have been that 80s mock Disney style.

Never saw it and always wanted to as a kid.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jul 29, 2019

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

World Famous W posted:

There was an animated movie I never saw as a child but had a trailer on some vhs or another. The only things I can remember is it was a fantasy and the hero (who I think was a young teen male) fought a shadow lord(?) in a dungeon and they were making a big deal out of a candle/torch going out. I know that's not a lot to go on. Animation style may have been that 80s mock Disney style.

Never saw it and always wanted to as a kid.

Probably this:
https://youtu.be/wa_NWD_ytyE

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Skipping through it, I think it is and it looks annoying!

Thank you!

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

TTBF posted:

30 seconds into Lords of Acid's Sex Bomb there's an audio clip that I've felt like is from a movie but I've never been able to place. Song came out in 2000 so it'd be before that.

There's a movie from 1956 called Baby Doll, but I have no idea if that's where the clip is from. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048973/

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Just for fun, a friend of mine posted this on Facebook: Which iconic 80s movie features this house as the backdrop of its opening scene?

Someone on my Facebook posted this as well, said they'd give the answer in a couple days and never did. I'm going to say this is just a random house that wasn't even in a movie and this is just people loving around.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

s.i.r.e. posted:

Someone on my Facebook posted this as well, said they'd give the answer in a couple days and never did. I'm going to say this is just a random house that wasn't even in a movie and this is just people loving around.

I wonder if we have the same friend? Does he live in California and did he recently have his birthday?

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
I'm looking for a made for TV movie that aired in one of the Nordic countries in either the late 80s or early 90s. It was a sci-fi horror that involved a covert scientific experiment going wrong in an isolated section of forest. From what I've heard it had a surprisingly engaging premise, the sort ready made for a mid budget hollywood adaption. It's unfortunately stuck in a rights battle that will likely never end, though for a short while dvd copies were sold online. I've forgotten both it's name and the defunct movie board it was discussed on.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Just for fun, a friend of mine posted this on Facebook: Which iconic 80s movie features this house as the backdrop of its opening scene?

So I nagged my friend for the answer today, and saw that at some point he changed the question from the above to "What iconic 1980s film featured this house in an early scene?"

The answer is in fact E.T. and the house is in the background of the bus stop scene.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

So I nagged my friend for the answer today, and saw that at some point he changed the question from the above to "What iconic 1980s film featured this house in an early scene?"

The answer is in fact E.T. and the house is in the background of the bus stop scene.

Hell fuckin yes! :smug:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm going to say ET, though I thought the stairs were more winding.

Edit: wow, nevermind. I just looked up the ET house. Much like Lloyd and Samsonite, I was way off.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I wonder if we have the same friend? Does he live in California and did he recently have his birthday?

Is he a music teacher?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

s.i.r.e. posted:

Is he a music teacher?

Yep!

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Boy thats really a stretch of the word 'featured'.

I mean, by that reckoning, I'm a featured actor in the background of a early aughts Tarantino movie....

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Open question: movies where Deepfake type tech is used to make it look like someone did some poo poo they didn't?

Ones I can think of are Running Man (opening fire in the chopper, pretending they were killed by Captain Freedom) and I want to say there was one movie in the 90s or early 2000s I'm trying to think of where an agency of some kind was faking footage of Wesley Snipes or a protagonist shooting people but I can't even remember if I'm imagining it

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Maybe you're thinking of Enemy of the State with Will Smith? I can't remember that scene, but there's a conspiracy and a framing in it, so it seems probable. Also an infamous scene where security footage rotates around him to look at his face. That might have been a manufactured video? I have not watched it since 1998.

And it's not quite Deepfakes, but Wag the Dog would probably fit the bill.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Alan Smithee posted:

Open question: movies where Deepfake type tech is used to make it look like someone did some poo poo they didn't?

Ones I can think of are Running Man (opening fire in the chopper, pretending they were killed by Captain Freedom) and I want to say there was one movie in the 90s or early 2000s I'm trying to think of where an agency of some kind was faking footage of Wesley Snipes or a protagonist shooting people but I can't even remember if I'm imagining it

Demolition Man? Except it was Arnie shooting protesters from da chopper I think. More editing than deepfake in that case though.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
The racist Sean Connery flick Rising Sun has a whole subplot involving doctoring of surveillance footage.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

ynohtna posted:

The racist Sean Connery flick Rising Sun has a whole subplot involving doctoring of surveillance footage.

Co-starring Wesley Snipes so yeah, that's probaby what they were thinking of.

But :lol: at the fact that there were two movies released in '93 co-starring Wesley Snipes, where doctored footage was used to frame someone

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Aug 1, 2019

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
the recent thriller Cam has a deepfake-like tech as part of the plot

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

feedmyleg posted:

Maybe you're thinking of Enemy of the State with Will Smith? I can't remember that scene, but there's a conspiracy and a framing in it, so it seems probable. Also an infamous scene where security footage rotates around him to look at his face.
It's not his face, it's a bag he's carrying. They have a computer use "shadows" to build up an image of the opposite side of the bag so they can tell if the mcguffin is in it. I'm pretty sure Tony Scott claims it was a real tech that the NSA had on the commentary too, which was probably a bit gullible of him.

As far fetched as that film is at times, I really like the conversation about how the spy satellite can only look straight down and maybe that mook will design a better one :v:

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Also, Simone is kinda close although the person was never real. But lots of fake real life interactions to fool the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuAjeuKXX7c

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Judge Dredd

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Adaptation had a fake that seemed so real they received an Academy Award nomination. :v:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Raxivace posted:

Adaptation had a fake that seemed so real they received an Academy Award nomination. :v:

This is such an excellent movie, holy poo poo.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Wag the Dog?

Not sure, long time since I watched it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Trevor Hale posted:

Judge Dredd

That wasn't fake video, that was Rico wearing Dredd's badge.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Timby posted:

That wasn't fake video, that was Rico wearing Dredd's badge.

Fake photo of baby Dredd though.

Edit: Also, I think Anthony Hopkins was up to some fake stuff in Freejack. Might only have been environments though. But Johnny Mnemonic definitely did. I remember someone using their fingers to "speak" with a fake head.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 2, 2019

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Gravy Jones posted:

Demolition Man? Except it was Arnie shooting protesters from da chopper I think. More editing than deepfake in that case though.

You mean Stallone

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

DeimosRising posted:

You mean Stallone
I think they mean Running Man :v:

In Demolition Man I think Snipes just says Stallone killed the hostages and the cops take his word for it. Running Man literally predicted deep fakes, not for the chopper massacre but later when they paste Arnie's face on someone else's body to show him being killed by Captain Beefheart or whoever.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Small world!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

s.i.r.e. posted:

Small world!

Indeed! He taught choir at my college in Arkansas for a year. We loved him.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
yeah it's killing me that the other one is escaping me. I swear it was a scene in like a newsroom or control center type place and there's some face copy/pasting on someone with a (sniper) rifle

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Alan Smithee posted:

yeah it's killing me that the other one is escaping me. I swear it was a scene in like a newsroom or control center type place and there's some face copy/pasting on someone with a (sniper) rifle

JFK? :v:

I think Looker also did a lot of fake stuff as its basic premise.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Nm, googled it and it was the movie I thought it was.

Astrochicken fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 3, 2019

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Pilchenstein posted:

I think they mean Running Man :v:

In Demolition Man I think Snipes just says Stallone killed the hostages and the cops take his word for it. Running Man literally predicted deep fakes, not for the chopper massacre but later when they paste Arnie's face on someone else's body to show him being killed by Captain Beefheart or whoever.

That was never not super weird how the only evidence that Stallone killed civilians in that movie was the testimony of a infamous mass murdering serial killer.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I was always under the impression that the city government wanted to get rid of Spartan since he was infamous for mass destruction in pursuit of his arrests .

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Yeah, send a maniac to catch a maniac. I don't think he had any bureaucratic support and the media called him Demolition Man. They likely didn't look too hard at the allegation given the lawlessness at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOUBKbd-M9M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Everyone was also super naive by then