Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

JustJeff88 posted:

Prey is 80% off on Steam right now as well, same as the Dishonored franchise.

If I'm being honest, I was always a "100% loot and optional objective guy" in Thief where I would knock out anyone alive and vaporise anything undead. "Ghosting" a whole level for no concrete reward wasn't my cup of tea.

So, I take it that the best way to approach the series is Dish1->Dish1 "expansions"->Dish2->DotO?

Yep, that's the best approach. And even if you weren't big on ghosting, you can still knock out everything in a level (and dump their unconscious bodies in compromising positions, a true Thief element)

Asbury fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Farrier Theaks posted:

Yep, that's the best approach. And even if you weren't big on ghosting, you can still knock out everything in a level (and dump their unconscious bodies in compromising positions, a true Thief element)

Also, you get an item that tells you people's darkest secrets, so you can feel less guilty about murder sprees if you just check how horrible of a person they were beforehand.

(You're allowed to murder about a fifth of the enemies on a given level and still get the good ending, with sidequests also influencing the chaos level. It's pretty generous as long as you're trying not to murder everybody.)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Is the "voices inside my head" computer program supposed to turn everything into a basketball?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Xander77 posted:

Is the "voices inside my head" computer program supposed to turn everything into a basketball?

Yeah, that's all it does

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I couldn't figure out how to go downstairs (even though that happened once, before I died). Every time you try to leave the building via the unbarred exit (or die within Unatco) you're respawned high over Liberty Island and go splat. Alternately, you are respawned on top of Liberty, where Louis Pang gives you a speech and pushes you off.

I actually managed to survive being pushed off, and the game was NOT ready for that. Just a ton of "infolink missing" messages, and not even the terrorist leader would speak to me.

That's my Malkavian mod experience, I'm probably not going back.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Am late but the thread title for Prey is accurate "They called the third System Shock 'Prey'. Buy this loving game!" If you want to crawl around in vents, and you do because you're in this thread, go get Prey.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

The Digital Deluxe bundle is eight bucks right now too.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Xander77 posted:

I couldn't figure out how to go downstairs (even though that happened once, before I died). Every time you try to leave the building via the unbarred exit (or die within Unatco) you're respawned high over Liberty Island and go splat. Alternately, you are respawned on top of Liberty, where Louis Pang gives you a speech and pushes you off.

I actually managed to survive being pushed off, and the game was NOT ready for that. Just a ton of "infolink missing" messages, and not even the terrorist leader would speak to me.

That's my Malkavian mod experience, I'm probably not going back.

That sounds like it played just as intended.

Karpaw
Oct 29, 2011

by Cyrano4747
VG247 did an interview with Elias Toufexis where he talks a bit about what led to Mankind Divided's story issues.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
That opening vignette kicks rear end.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Karpaw posted:

VG247 did an interview with Elias Toufexis where he talks a bit about what led to Mankind Divided's story issues.

good article

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m picking back up my playthrough of Gem Dicks 9.0 and I might still be on the side of the fence that prefers Revision. That said I still adore this game and can’t believe how well it still pays for being almost 20 years old. I remember when this Baldurs Gate 2, and Diablo 2 came out the same year. Was there ever a better year for gaming?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah it's interesting.

I've finished replaying both new Deus Exes and I like Mankind Divided more. They're both great but the refinement in the gameplay really shows, plus I like Adam as a character better in MD.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

chaosapiant posted:

I’m picking back up my playthrough of Gem Dicks 9.0 and I might still be on the side of the fence that prefers Revision. That said I still adore this game and can’t believe how well it still pays for being almost 20 years old. I remember when this Baldurs Gate 2, and Diablo 2 came out the same year. Was there ever a better year for gaming?

1998 was pretty insane... Half Life 1, Thief 1, Ocarina of Time, Starcraft, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil 2, Unreal 1, Pokemon Red/Blue...

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Really enjoying Prey, thanks to whoever suggested it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Yeah, I picked up Prey for $8 from Walmart the other day, and I’ve been been enjoying the hell out of it. I can’t believe the first keypad you come across wasn’t 0451 though (although you come across it eventually).

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

1998 was pretty insane... Half Life 1, Thief 1, Ocarina of Time, Starcraft, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil 2, Unreal 1, Pokemon Red/Blue...

You got me there, plus Baldurs Gate 1 and Fallout 2 were that year as well.

Is there anywhere in Hell’s Kitchen where I can purchase some explosives? Trying to save Paul but I’m super low on equipment, and just sprinting out the front door of the ‘Ton doesn’t work because I get cut down pretty quick.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
You can defuse some in alleys in the second part of the map (nsf warehouse) and you can easily go back to the first part.

E: oh wait for saving Paul it doesn't matter what you do as long as you don't escape through the window he'll live, iirc. You don't get anything by surviving the ambush.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Gonna mod in an “I saved Paul Denton” iron-on patch for the duster

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So I can just get killed and it'll let me progress? I think I knew this once before but there's so many conflicting facts about this scene.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

chaosapiant posted:

So I can just get killed and it'll let me progress? I think I knew this once before but there's so many conflicting facts about this scene.

Yeah, if you survive you'll just get captured later. If you "die" you'll just wake up in the same cell anyway.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
You can surrender to Gunther in Battery Park if you want, by then his dialogue will confirm if they took Paul alive or not. I think surrendering also starts you off with more health in the MJ12 prison.

For saving Paul, I'm pretty sure you need to kill everyone in the hotel, or at least the MiBs if you want to keep Paul alive though. If you jump out the window or just race for the front doors it will end up with him dead. It's been a good 10+ years since I played though so it could just be mistaken.

Plus, boobytrapping the place and listening to all the explosions and screaming while your brother is talking to you is half the fun of that level.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

GMDX has it so Paul can die if you don't help. Also adds a bunch of UNATCO troopers to make you feel conflicted about it.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
There were always a bunch of UNATCO troopers, though. The only MiBs are the door-breaking set.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Casimir Radon posted:

GMDX has it so Paul can die if you don't help. Also adds a bunch of UNATCO troopers to make you feel conflicted about it.

This is where I am, playing Gem Dicks 9.0 for the first time. I've got one gas grenade pre-planted in the hall, and one GEP gun rocket. I didn't see what happens when I got gunned down though since I automatically just reloaded. I'll see if GMDX lets me get killed then wisks me away to prison and I can still save Paul. Or maybe I'll just say "gently caress Paul" because I'm not sure I've ever done a run-through where he died.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, I picked up Prey for $8 from Walmart the other day, and I’ve been been enjoying the hell out of it. I can’t believe the first keypad you come across wasn’t 0451 though (although you come across it eventually).

Smashthestate

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Funny thing about map design: I always thought the nuke silo looked silly on its layout with single round two-story basement connected to the silo by a long round walkway. I thought it’s just a late-game map design laziness by devs.

I just finally got a copy of “command and control” and lo and behold, one of the first things is a sketch drawing of titan II silo. And it’s just like in Deus ex.

Mind blown.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah missile silos are cool, there's one in Arizona you can tour. A lot of Deus Ex is pretty close to the real locations in feel if not details.

Hong Kong is totally not though. First time I was there I made a beeline for Wan Chai and uh. 100% fictional. No canals for a tourist to inadvisably visit at night. Tonnochy Road is real though.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Wan Chai isn't really the best designed area of the game. Tonnochy is quite a bit better once you realize how vertical the map is, or find your way into the elevator shaft.

Vandenberg and the sub base both deserve some expansion from a mod. They're too much of a rush towards the end of the game at that point, and you deserve more time with your nearly fully upgraded abilities.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I always had mixed feelings about Hong Kong because I always fine-tooth combed Maggie Chow's apartment and obviously found the MJ12 section there, which means I feel there's a whole unnecessary filler arc to HK I never saw where you don't realise Maggie is MJ12.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Grand Fromage posted:

Hong Kong is totally not though. First time I was there I made a beeline for Wan Chai and uh. 100% fictional. No canals for a tourist to inadvisably visit at night.

Maybe not now but in another 30 years time or so the ocean will have swallowed up some of it

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I’d be surprised if any players actually had that happen. By that far in, the game has really conditioned you to scour everything.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

Vandenberg and the sub base both deserve some expansion from a mod. They're too much of a rush towards the end of the game at that point, and you deserve more time with your nearly fully upgraded abilities.

DX and HR both suffer from this I think. The part of the game where the city hubs are over and it's all secret combat bases just isn't as good. MD I think managed it better since London isn't long enough to overstay its welcome, plus there's the initial half that strongly encourages stealth.

The hub areas are much lower tension with side quests so I get why those disappear when you're trying to ramp up to a climax, but the cities are what you remember from those games.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

Maybe not now but in another 30 years time or so the ocean will have swallowed up some of it

It would've been cool if that was the angle they were going for there, Hong Kong being flooded by rising sea levels. I don't think that was the intention. If it was it needed to be more explicit.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

DX and HR both suffer from this I think. The part of the game where the city hubs are over and it's all secret combat bases just isn't as good. MD I think managed it better since London isn't long enough to overstay its welcome, plus there's the initial half that strongly encourages stealth.

The hub areas are much lower tension with side quests so I get why those disappear when you're trying to ramp up to a climax, but the cities are what you remember from those games.

It would've been cool if that was the angle they were going for there, Hong Kong being flooded by rising sea levels. I don't think that was the intention. If it was it needed to be more explicit.
London is a really strong and well put together area. Makes you feel like you're part of a larger operation that's going sideways. I liked Dubai and GARM too.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I also now think the Palisade Bank was a direct response to how frustrating it is seeing that giant Bank of Detroit sitting right in the middle of the city with no way to rob it.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Mankind Divided did so many things well, it’s definitely a bummer to see the franchise sputter out like this.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Eidos Montreal keeps claiming the series isn't dead. They have plans for the third game and they claim Square is also planning to let them do it in the not terribly distant future.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Alchenar posted:

I always had mixed feelings about Hong Kong because I always fine-tooth combed Maggie Chow's apartment and obviously found the MJ12 section there, which means I feel there's a whole unnecessary filler arc to HK I never saw where you don't realise Maggie is MJ12.

I like that you can foil Maggie right off the bat and that it's not necessary to do so. One of the most annoying things in games is when a character is obviously going to betray you but you have no choice but to go along.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

After someone in the thread mentioned the DLC for DXMD was good I remembered I owned it and hadn't played any of it yet. Of course, I had to play the base game through too, since I haven't played it since release. The gameplay is quite good, better than I remember. I wanted to experiment with lethal play though since I went full pacifist the first time, and I have to say the game gets a little weird, some of the story beats seem to sort of ignore what you've done. Your boss yells one line at you for killing literally like 100 cops and then no one really mentions it after. I don't think either of the previous games had moments like this, where you had to report to a direct superior who would continue to work for you after you did something so reprehensible.

Oh, and the DLCs are good. Desperate measures was alright, a single level that was blatantly cut from the main game for no reason other than to make a pre-order bonus/DLC for later, which is pretty lovely, especially given that once you do own it, it's not integrated into the game. You have to play it as a standalone thing, without any of your gear or augs, and no consequences mattering despite the fact that it's a natural part of the main game's storyline and set at a specific point in it.

On the other hand, A Criminal Past is fantastic. I don't even mind the fact that it's set outside of the normal story continuity, as it makes sense for both game and narrative reasons why it was done the way it was. Maybe a few too many air vents, but really, it's some of the best level design and encounter design the series has ever had.

Working through System Rift now, and it's good so far, another big fun heist mission, but with a bit of the Prague hub. I can't shake the feeling that this was cut from the game to be sold as DLC too, but if it was, it's less blatant at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

aniviron posted:

I don't think either of the previous games had moments like this, where you had to report to a direct superior who would continue to work for you after you did something so reprehensible.
Invisible War definitely did. I distinctly remember loving up stealth at one point and killing my way through a level, then meeting my French superior behind a glass wall. He said, and I quote, "your cavalier attitude toward human life is disgus-teeng" and then got down to brass tacks re: me blowing up a cult for him.

DX typically wouldn't allow it, being that going off the chain would result in whole levels turning against you and inevitably, an unkillable NPC (eg Paul) who would gun you down for breaking the game. As RPG design goes this sort of thing gets a weirdly bad rap but you know what? It works.