Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

Beet Wagon posted:

Been a while since we had a good spaceship commercial! They never did end up making the Retaliator commercial that was an actual honest to god stretch goal. But check it out, $140 spacetruck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUseGGO_vXc

The best thing about this ad is that it’s CIG’s response to their own ad for the stealth bomber, so it’s pretty much power_creep.avi.

“Hey, remember that ad we made where an undetectable stealth bomber launched a cruise missile that blew up some commando’s base? Well now watch this ad where we sell you the AA truck that can detect the undetectable stealth bomber and shoot it down! You do want your base to be safe, right?

Also hello thread, long time no post. :wave:

E: poo poo, I’m phone posting, can someone spot my tax?

Nanako the Narc fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Aug 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hav posted:

A tear rolls slowly down Papaya’s face.

Well look what have here, an aristocrat.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

My favorite part about that ad is that it shoots down the fan explanation for the Ballista that it was a SQ42 asset that they just happened to add because, hey, they were making it anyway! Nope, they made it expressly to sell.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Hav posted:

A tear rolls slowly down Papaya’s face.

I will fully own up to not fact-checking that post before I hit submit. I'm a dang wildcard

Nanako the Narc posted:

E: poo poo, I’m phone posting, can someone spot my tax?

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Aug 1, 2019

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
I love pineapple.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
When you guys said space truck I was thinking of a freighter space ship....

lol

it's a freaking ground truck.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/friedrichbode/status/1156818501350412288

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Anyone know where I can find some black track pants and a baseball hat with the Star Citizen logo on it?

Got an idea for a photo...

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Anyone know where I can find some black track pants and a baseball hat with the Star Citizen logo on it?

Got an idea for a photo...

those all have too much character to pull of the "Star Citizen Mass Shooter" look, you gotta go for the $500 AR special

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

I look forward to the first level when it is added to the game!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

those all have too much character to pull of the "Star Citizen Mass Shooter" look, you gotta go for the $500 AR special

Ok but what if I had a sombrero, a poncho, and both shotguns slung on my back in a cross-pattern?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Just make sure tennis balls are on the end of the rifles and sex crates behind you.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Aug 1, 2019

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Nanako the Narc posted:

“Hey, remember that ad we made where an undetectable stealth bomber launched a cruise missile that blew up some commando’s base? Well now watch this ad where we sell you the AA truck that can detect the undetectable stealth bomber and shoot it down! You do want your base to be safe, right?

This is dangerously close to a game mechanic. Pull up, CIG!

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Colostomy Bag posted:

Just make sure tennis balls are on the end of the rifles and sex crates behind you.

One of the crates should be labelled "tickle feathers", with another person hiding behind it with lust on their mind

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
Noise poster n27402 reporting in.

This week feature requests:

We need Octopode and Moma back
A new Bootcha video
A Toops space cat game update
Some sort of info graph from Gorf
Another nuclear meltdown from Brenson
One or more doxxings from the Warlord
A pixelated art spaceship from Eldragon
The answer from AMD to Chris email
The true identity of the tickler in black
Less pictures of Sandi
An orkish translation from Beer
Daily thread report for Virtual Capitan
A grammatically incorrect Major Tom video

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:toot:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Ah yes a High Threat SAM system, with it's range of 2km. Just look how backwards the British were in 1944 when they designed the Fairey Stooge with a range of only 5km, idiot.

If only we could have such advanced technology now, systems like the RIM-161 Standard Missile 3 only has an effective range of 2500km.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Aramoro posted:

Ah yes a High Threat SAM system, with it's range of 2km. Just look how backwards the British were in 1944 when they designed the Fairey Stooge with a range of only 5km, idiot.

If only we could have such advanced technology now, systems like the RIM-161 Standard Missile 3 only has an effective range of 2500km.

:lol:

Chris is such a visionary and brings space future to life by exploring where technology has taken us when our grandparents were still children.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

If you think about the implementation of a player-operated SAM vehicle for even a second in the context of the game they're creating it makes no sense. Wheee, some players get to spend hours and hours in one spot hoping someone flies by in a ship that is vulnerable to missiles. Immersion!

It might make sense alongside a bunch of other vehicles and systems for ground-based combat. But they haven't even finished the SPACE combat yet, and they're selling these things for over $100! And the craziest part still is that the community is loving eating it up. No wonder CIG isn't bothering to advertise outside the community, they'd get torn apart.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

If you think about the implementation of a player-operated SAM vehicle for even a second in the context of the game they're creating it makes no sense. Wheee, some players get to spend hours and hours in one spot hoping someone flies by in a ship that is vulnerable to missiles. Immersion!

It might make sense alongside a bunch of other vehicles and systems for ground-based combat. But they haven't even finished the SPACE combat yet, and they're selling these things for over $100! And the craziest part still is that the community is loving eating it up. No wonder CIG isn't bothering to advertise outside the community, they'd get torn apart.

The only way it makes sense is if they implemented an EvE style reinforcement system for bases.

In Eve you had effectively player bases, which were persistent and you could put some automatic guns on etc. So someone could rock up when you were not online to kick your base over. Except when your base got to a certain level of shields it would go into reinforced mode and be invulnerable for a period of time. Essentially giving the defenders time to login and stage a defence when the timer ran out. That's the only situation where a SAM launcher makes sense, when you've prearranged a battle.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah, and unless I'm wrong, there's no kind of base building in SC yet, right? What planet-based things would you actually want to defend?

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

h3isenbug posted:

When a prospective investor mentions a possible buyout:

Close the thread, we're done here. Nothing can top this.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah, and unless I'm wrong, there's no kind of base building in SC yet, right? What planet-based things would you actually want to defend?

Well obviously you have to defend the virtual parcels you've bought for more then IRL plots of land on one of the hundreds of planets that don't exist yet.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Ok but what if I had a sombrero, a poncho, and both shotguns slung on my back in a cross-pattern?

Throw in a CPAP machine and bunny ears for maximum fidelity.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Aramoro posted:

That's the only situation where a SAM launcher makes sense, when you've prearranged a battle.

The entirety of Star Citizen is like the prearranged battles I'd have with action figures as a kid. I lost count of the number of games that promised those kinds of interactions, but almost none of them deliver, because the disparate elements never dovetail into an integrated and organic experience unless the developers design the game from the ground up to encourage and/or enforce that convergence.

The ultimate real-world example of the very best Star Citizen can hope to achieve would probably be WWII Online. I played more of that game than I should have, because the parts were all there. But in their quest for realism all that was lost in vast maps where all the cool poo poo they built never wound up amounting to anything. Everyone was spread out impossibly, you either never saw anyone or you were suddenly dead, and the very, very few times things came together (either by accident or because the players went out of their way to set something up) it was OK at best, but the forums were filled with posts about how amazing it was.

Contrast that to a Battlefield game where the maps are small and the entire area is designed to create chokepoints and firefights and strategies so that the moment-to-moment gameplay delivers.

What's oddest to me is that Chris Roberts isn't even consistent to his own vision. For a guy with a hard-on for movies, taking away player agency, and forcing a cinematic experience, the focus on "fidelity" and simulation runs completely counter to that. He can't have both.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Not to mention in a space game any space ships capable of fighting would be capable of murdering stuff from hundreds if not thousands of km away

So their stupid space truck sam launcher would simply get nuked from orbit way before it even sees anything to plunk a torpedo at

Although I feel it's all set pieces they're making now for rexshilla to use so he can make more look cool clips

It's a cycle now they're locked into now, worse than before

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

Blue On Blue posted:

And as long as it keeps the show running, it's beautiful.

One day my grandkids will post in this thread.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Blue On Blue posted:

Not to mention in a space game any space ships capable of fighting would be capable of murdering stuff from hundreds if not thousands of km away

So their stupid space truck sam launcher would simply get nuked from orbit way before it even sees anything to plunk a torpedo at

Although I feel it's all set pieces they're making now for rexshilla to use so he can make more look cool clips

I think it's probably quite the opposite. That SAM system I mentioned was used by the US to destroy a satellite that was travelling at 28,000km/h at a range of 250 km. We can currently track everything orbiting the planet down to very small objects. If you want realism then any space craft would be instantly annihilated by a land based missile system.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
You all are putting more thought into it than Chris Roberts.

Maybe you should reach out to Epic for an exclusivity deal.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Blue On Blue posted:

Yep, it would be hilarious. They're not going with any sort of energy weapons so I'm imagining

a) Something in orbit just drops a rock on the Ballista
b) Orbital or atmosphere launch of some pretty decent missile. Even with slight advances from now I'm imagining a 5000km range at say Mach 15. It would be within detection range for far less than a second.

What a stupid vehicle.
For god's sake, the man-portable Stinger missile (designed 1967) has a longer effective range than this stupid truck.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

ObsidianAnt is livestreaming Squadron 42 Privateer 3 Freelancer 2 Rebel Galaxy Outlaw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6OyV9sRBZ4

:munch:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

Throw in a CPAP machine and bunny ears for maximum fidelity.

Yes, we need concept space JPEG CPAP machines.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
How many Skyrim sized craters can my missile truck defend?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah, but they get to spend those hours with their character enjoying some Radagast scotch and some nice Cuban cigars while their hand hovers over the launch button.

Engaging!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

The Chris Roberts Skyrim reference is the humor gift that keeps on giving. I laugh every time I think of the lack of awareness that throwaway comment revealed. It's almost enough to explain the entire project.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

The Chris Roberts Skyrim reference is the humor gift that keeps on giving. I laugh every time I think of the lack of awareness that throwaway comment revealed. It's almost enough to explain the entire project.

Sadly we will never be given those clusterfucks of presentations ever again.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Colostomy Bag posted:

But investors will. I need to dust off my Serious Investor outfit and start sniffing around CIG.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Colostomy Bag posted:

SC is taking three times as long to make than Skyrim, a single SC crater can hold a thousand Skyrims and we're making 2 games in parallel.

Therefore SC is at least six thousand times better than Skyrim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Maybe this was all part of the final will and testament of Ben "literal walking corpse" Lesnick

He told Chris to implement every single stupid back of the napkin design he ever came up with. Or else he would spill the beans on the entire company