Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I just rewatched The Weather Man and it was perfectly fine. The best part is Michael Caine doing a sad Michael Caine role. If you give a poo poo about that actor at all you should watch that movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Why the hell is everyone talking about The Weather Man all of a sudden?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

because i need one to know which way the wind blows.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's just me. I saw it was available on Amazon Prime the other day and I seemed to remember that people don't like it for some reason so I asked why, here in the questions thread. I'd seen it two or three times before, but probably none this decade, and I believed that I liked it. I finally rewatched it myself last night. If you don't like the movie, I'd love to hear why. My only negative was that watching it got the opening song from Groundhog Day stuck in my head:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EecUGOngvM

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Thoughts on Bad Times at the El Royale?

loosenukes
Feb 14, 2005

you don't put your best missile in your crummiest hole

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Thoughts on Bad Times at the El Royale?

It was bad.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
It was fine if totally unimpressive especially given the cast.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

couldcareless posted:

It was fine if totally unimpressive especially given the cast.
Way too long for what it was too

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Mediocre Times at the El Royale. It has some wonderful set design (and then it under-uses that set!), Chris Hemsworth is giving it his all, and it has a nice scene or two, but ultimately it's pretty hollow and uninteresting.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

david_a posted:

That was my only complaint, I thought it was a fun throwback to the kind of 90s movies I'd catch on satellite TV.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

david_a posted:

This. Should've been a short, fun punchy kinda thing. It overstayed its welcome so much that when the reveals happen in the third act you just want it to be over already.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The movie builds up all this interconnection between what the guests see and what they think they saw and their motivations and such, but then the whole third act is almost entirely unconnected.

I can't fault the acting or the set design though, but it should probably have had a script punch up.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
And the most interesting character was one of the first killed off.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

It's just me. I saw it was available on Amazon Prime the other day and I seemed to remember that people don't like it for some reason so I asked why, here in the questions thread. I'd seen it two or three times before, but probably none this decade, and I believed that I liked it. I finally rewatched it myself last night. If you don't like the movie, I'd love to hear why. My only negative was that watching it got the opening song from Groundhog Day stuck in my head:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EecUGOngvM

The Weather Man is great, and if I ever teach a course on adult ADHD I'm going to use it as a learning aid.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Human Tornada posted:

And the most interesting character was one of the first killed off.

(el Royale) Jon Hamm? I thought he was one of the least intersting characters. Or am I misremembering the sequence of events?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Yeah that's the one. Maybe he only feels interesting because he's killed when the movie is still somewhat compelling and he doesn't get the chance to be boring.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

It's a plane movie

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Human Tornada posted:

Yeah that's the one. Maybe he only feels interesting because he's killed when the movie is still somewhat compelling and he doesn't get the chance to be boring.

I can see that. His plotline is picked up in the third act tho, as one of the few that is.

Tbh I'm very entranced by anything Jeff Bridges does & I'm looking hella forward to seeing Cynthia Erivo in something else, she's great and I hope she can get more movie roles on top of her theatre roles.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
At 1.20.28 of the Matrix Reloaded the Merovingian escapes through a doorway and when Neo looks out through the same door he sees a very fantasy-esque setting of a mountainside which is clearly a matte painting.

The same matte painting artist worked on the Lord of the Rings and the Matrix. Is the matte painting an unused (or used?) Lord of the Rings painting?

If so it's an interesting crossover between two of the biggest franchises of the early noughties.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The Weather Man is great, and if I ever teach a course on adult ADHD I'm going to use it as a learning aid.

“I Wish I Had Two Dicks: Living With Adult ADHD”

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

So the first 45 seconds of this trailer is really reminding me of what I assume is a film score:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TctZbvFU5Y

The strings and the horns/synths/horn-like synths has me thinking maybe something by Hans Zimmer? But I haven't found anything that feels close to it

It has to be a ripoff of something because it's a promotional trailer for a shooter game

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So the first 45 seconds of this trailer is really reminding me of what I assume is a film score:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TctZbvFU5Y

The strings and the horns/synths/horn-like synths has me thinking maybe something by Hans Zimmer? But I haven't found anything that feels close to it

It has to be a ripoff of something because it's a promotional trailer for a shooter game

Stock music like this is a dime a dozen from houses like Two Steps from Hell.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Is there a generally accepted great book on cinematography? Something along the lines of explaining why certain shots are used (and what they're called), colours, aspect ratios, and a bunch of other things that I feel like I want to understand better.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Watching Grave of the Fireflies on Hulu — does the normal movie have a lot of awkward fades to black between scenes or is this some kind of TV cut with intended commercial breaks

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

morestuff posted:

Watching Grave of the Fireflies on Hulu — does the normal movie have a lot of awkward fades to black between scenes or is this some kind of TV cut with intended commercial breaks

That movie hosed me up.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
In anthology movies, are the individual segments considered short films? Like say I showed somebody a video of Amateur Night from V/H/S, is that more me showing them a movie clip or a short film? I'm guessing it's movie clip, because I don't think Amateur Night would be eligible for a Best Short Film Academy Award.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

In anthology movies, are the individual segments considered short films? Like say I showed somebody a video of Amateur Night from V/H/S, is that more me showing them a movie clip or a short film? I'm guessing it's movie clip, because I don't think Amateur Night would be eligible for a Best Short Film Academy Award.

The question is, considered by whom? For awards judges, they are not shorts. If you’re making one, it effectively is, and if you’re showing one, likewise, as it’s a standalone piece. Although you could say it needs to be seen in context with the others in the anthology. Depends on structure.
In short (no pun intended), it’s not like there’s a definitive answer.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
just to make it more complicated, i've always liked calling those 'vignettes'

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So in Godzilla king of the monsters, do nuclear weapons now save us because we can use them to heal godzilla?

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
For reasons I can't remember, today I had an unexpected recollection of a scene from a cartoon.

A character has an open tin of sardines. He opens his mouth wide and tips the can toward his tongue several times. Plink, plink, plink, plink as the sardines land on his tongue one at a time.

Presumably consumes the sardines after that.

The scene probably included a preceding shot of the character opening the old-timey rollback lid of the sardines.

Could have been a TV show or a movie - but it was definitely animated.

Anyone remember?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

FaradayCage posted:

For reasons I can't remember, today I had an unexpected recollection of a scene from a cartoon.

A character has an open tin of sardines. He opens his mouth wide and tips the can toward his tongue several times. Plink, plink, plink, plink as the sardines land on his tongue one at a time.

Presumably consumes the sardines after that.

The scene probably included a preceding shot of the character opening the old-timey rollback lid of the sardines.

Could have been a TV show or a movie - but it was definitely animated.

Anyone remember?

Mr. Dink does that in the Doug episode where he thinks he has to eat liver and onions at Patti’s party

6:30 in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOTmr0kf31E

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Mr. Dink does that in the Doug episode where he thinks he has to eat liver and onions at Patti’s party

6:30 in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOTmr0kf31E

That's it!

I was at the Cubs game with my brother and we both could remember the scene but couldn't place it. I had a faint memory of the Mickey-Mousing as the *anchovies landed on his tongue. He remembered the tongue being comically large. We both remembered the old-timey can with the key-opener (whatever it's called).

At one point while brainstorming, my mind paused on "Doug" and I was like "I think I'm onto something here. May not be Doug, but the memory of the scene associates it with Doug."

Thank you. We'll both sleep better tonight.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

FaradayCage posted:

That's it!

I was at the Cubs game with my brother and we both could remember the scene but couldn't place it. I had a faint memory of the Mickey-Mousing as the *anchovies landed on his tongue. He remembered the tongue being comically large. We both remembered the old-timey can with the key-opener (whatever it's called).

At one point while brainstorming, my mind paused on "Doug" and I was like "I think I'm onto something here. May not be Doug, but the memory of the scene associates it with Doug."

Thank you. We'll both sleep better tonight.

No prob, I watched an insane amount of Doug when I was a kid and that scene is seared into my brain for some reason

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Tenzarin posted:

So in Godzilla king of the monsters, do nuclear weapons now save us because we can use them to heal godzilla?

Yes

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I'm watching Suspiria now. How did they hide the camera in the room with the mirrors?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Spermando posted:

I'm watching Suspiria now. How did they hide the camera in the room with the mirrors?

Two way/angled mirrors or digital paint out.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 12, 2019

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Spermando posted:

witchcraft.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Should I put speculative documentary chat in the documentary thread, or start a new one?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

StratGoatCom posted:

Should I put speculative documentary chat in the documentary thread, or start a new one?

Come to the Documentary Thread!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3269030

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
What makes certain films look so... gorgeous?

I was watching some trailers to catch up on what was coming out, and the trailer for Joker made me wonder that because it just looks goddamn incredible compared to, say, the new Jumanji trailer. I don't know anything about how the technical elements of photography or film works. Is it something to do with color grading? Does it just... cost a lot more money to finetune things to that point of perfection.

I remember Her looked amazing, too; obviously that came to mind because it's the same lead.

This is a badly phrased question but hopefully you understand what I mean.