Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Fun month. That run of missions was crazy but you did well getting through it all without too much damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'm surprised you made me an officer tbh, I thought for sure you'd be keeping me normal until you could dunk me in the psi tanks considering my willpower.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Ha I got nicknamed Sherwood despite never having shot anybody or stolen from the rich. I lived in Nottingham for a while so that's funny.

These missions make me anxious and not just because I'm out there with 5hp. You really wing that poo poo, it's exciting.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

So what's Exalt's battle plan? Throw enough bodies at you until you run out of ammo? "Maybe if we keep running by that guy with the shotgun he'll develop carpal tunnel from pulling the trigger so much he'll have to go on disability!"

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

kw0134 posted:

So what's Exalt's battle plan? Throw enough bodies at you until you run out of ammo? "Maybe if we keep running by that guy with the shotgun he'll develop carpal tunnel from pulling the trigger so much he'll have to go on disability!"

FairGame makes it look easy because he’s good at this but honestly the sheer mass of HP you have to wipe out on EXALT missions can get overwhelming, and they’re dangerous when not comms-hosed. They carry grenades and rocket launchers, and if you don’t keep up with the kill rate you can end up with blown cover and several shots left to come at you.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

kw0134 posted:

EXALT's overall plan seems to be

1) Be a bunch of rich bastards
2) Attempt to profit off of the war as a semi-independent faction despite the phenomenally high chance of either going out like Quisling or being harvested the second one of the sides wins
3) ???
4) Profit!

So the fact they suck phenomenally at actual combat is not totally surprising considering the extent of their genius long-game planning.

The fact EXALT is basically absent from XCOM2 suggests to me they failed at step 2.

But more seriously as Akratic Method points out you really kind of need to abuse the comms fuckery, the missions are balanced on the assumption you're going make all the EXALT losers waste turns.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
That was a surprising amount of days spent chilling out, though it makes sense given the glut of missions you had at once.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Akratic Method posted:

FairGame makes it look easy because he’s good at this but honestly the sheer mass of HP you have to wipe out on EXALT missions can get overwhelming, and they’re dangerous when not comms-hosed. They carry grenades and rocket launchers, and if you don’t keep up with the kill rate you can end up with blown cover and several shots left to come at you.

They can launch grenades and rockets when they ARE comms-hosed. I mention this for no reason in particular.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
EXALT are smart enough to use grenades, unlike the aliens who are content with having them vaporize in the field.

Also, I live! And we now have officers that buff the team.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jul 30, 2019

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Didn't Surprise Cyberdisc (Surpriserdisc?) throw a Grenade? Also Mutons have them, so I expect we'll be seeing those come into play in missions that aren't Wack-a-mole.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Cyberdiscs and Mutons have grenades. We haven't seen them toss them out often though. There are two more aliens that get grenades but we won't see them for a few more months. I think even the long war devs knew that alien grenades were horseshit and didn't gently caress with them too much.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Suppression cuts grenade range considerably (as do other debuffs) so keeping the live aliens under fire really helps reduce the amount of green-flamey bullshit that gets lobbed at you. But just wait, sooner or later it'll start showing up a bit more. (see also: Bombard perk)

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I think all of the aliens that get grenades except mutons have bombard as a base perk, actually.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Always glad to contribute.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Sign me up to die please.

cambrian obelus
Sep 14, 2010

I've never seen a French woman before!
Soiled Meat
Can you rename nicknames in XCOM 1? I think Scalding Coffee should be nicknamed "Brett Bunsen".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i75E_SYJgmE

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
According to the internet: Pogue is American derogatory pejorative military slang for non-combat, staff, and other rear-echelon or support units. "Pogue" frequently applies to those who do not have to undergo the risk and stresses of combat as the infantry does.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 30, 2019

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Scalding "Burnt" Coffee

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

According to the internet: Pogue is American derogatory pejorative military slang for non-combat, staff, and other rear-echelon or support units. "Pogue" frequently applies to those who do not have to undergo the risk and stresses of combat as the infantry does.

It is an incredibly good ironic nickname.

e: coffee lmao you poor fucker. are you sure you want to put coffee in a MEC suit? you can't afford to rebuild it every time you field him, fairgame!

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 31, 2019

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Ugh, I hate when I'm posting back to back. What can I do to generate a bit more participation here? I know people are watching (or perhaps the same person is watching several dozen times as they plot my death), but surely there's something I can do to encourage more discussion. Ideas?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I watch them. You're just posting them pretty quick, and there's not a lot to say about nice, cleanly-executed missions where nobody gets their face melted; remember that most LPs update like... once a week at most.

You could always post about like... mechanics, or why you're building certain soldiers the way you are, or something.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Same. I'm still watching them, I just haven't had anything to say.

cambrian obelus
Sep 14, 2010

I've never seen a French woman before!
Soiled Meat
If you want, we can shitpost.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Honestly I thought I might be posting too much :v:

It's too bad you record so far ahead, you could have a lot of fun back and forths with the thread w/r/t nicknames and stuff

I'd really like a tactical breakdown of your choices for air combat though, especially once we get the next level of air stuff out. Like I said earlier I ate a ton of poo poo in my campaign from the air combat and getting more insight on your air choices or the direction you want to go in with them would be nice.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

cambrian obelus posted:

If you want, we can shitpost.

Needs a pointless reloading animation.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

This is probably the first time you've made A Mistake this game I think; you got immensely lucky that lone badger wasn't immediately killed. Moving her up was a terrible idea and you didn't even smoke her after!
e: also you hit the power source with that suppression shot, which busted it I think.

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 1, 2019

Dancer
May 23, 2011
An observation that did actually cross my mind the other day: it feels like you never use scopes. At first you didn't have them, then shotguns were super important, but now might be a time where they can be useful. Are there just that many more important things to have? Will you start using them when you get tac rigging and/or move up from laser weapons with built-in aime bonuses?

Dancer
May 23, 2011
(as a side-note, it feels like some of the medkit spam could be reduced for this purpose)

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Scopes cost 70 credits. If you think to yourself "that's loving absurd" it's because it is. It's literally more expensive than a shiv. also yeah lasers make them kind of pointless, by the point you've gone past lasers your troops are going to have pretty high aim naturally through levels and before that you're not going to be able to afford scopes.

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 1, 2019

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Grapplejack posted:

It's too bad you record so far ahead, you could have a lot of fun back and forths with the thread w/r/t nicknames and stuff

Yeah, this is where some of my posts die on the vine. I'll want to suggest some little thing (a trooper nickname, or I was thinking it might be interesting to show some of the perks higher-level aliens get now that you're doing autopsies) but then I remember even if you agree and immediately do it, it won't show up for several weeks. But I wouldn't call this a complaint because I'd much rather have an LP with the endurance to make it to the end of this, and I recognize that having the backlog required to take breaks and stuff is important for that.

Kaishai
Nov 3, 2010

Scoffing at modernity.
I'm a casual X-Com player at best, and I don't have much to say unless a mission gives me a chance to mock and/or cheer for my avatar. I'm enjoying the thread, though, and the pace of updates. Thank you for playing for us!

Oh, I guess I can add this: that alien trophy looks like shoulder pads. I wish equipping it put a trooper into an 80s power suit.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Well I'm enjoying this LP a lot and could benefit from some mechanics/strat explanations, so I'll just bombard everyone with questions. What's the deal with the strike/battle rifles - they seem to be just a slightly different sniper rifle? And what really drives the choice between giving a scout a strike rifle as opposed to a shotgun - I'd assumed you needed to lean hard towards close or long range with perk selection. But I've seen a few times now where weapons have been switched up on the same soldier without any apparent drawback.

The exalt missions also seem kind of, well, weirdly structured. Is there a way they are "supposed" to be carried out that's not, well, alerting everyone and crippling them every single turn with the comms towers? With the talk about them being quite explosives-happy, I don't see how there's really a better option, as the usual find-cover-and-try-to-flank surely doesn't work so well against someone with so much cover destruction ability. And probably even less given the density of the maps, on the last one if you'd tried to simply clear out the "hack" zone and take it yourself, you'd have triggered about five pods, got surrounded and been shot to pieces instantly.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
About that meld canister on top of the ufo, are there any checks where the game puts them? Was that meld just lol no jumpy legs eat poo poo, or was it possible to get to it from somewhere? I know some maps have one side of the ufo against a cliff to get on top of it, that the case here too?

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

Kinda disappointed I died, but not really surprised. I do also have to agree with both statements you made about squads of 4 Mutons.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
I don't have a lot to say, I'm waiting to see how things turn out in the next step. I'm seeing a lot of design decisions aimed at increasing the slog, but I can see you're dealing admirably. I already know how deeply unfair vanilla xcom can be, and how a bad activation pretty much means someone will die, as soon as thin men or better get involved, and again you're pulling off some very worthy stunts.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Crazy Achmed posted:

Well I'm enjoying this LP a lot and could benefit from some mechanics/strat explanations, so I'll just bombard everyone with questions. What's the deal with the strike/battle rifles - they seem to be just a slightly different sniper rifle?

You're pretty much correct.

Sniper rifles:
  • Sniper class only
  • Infinite squadsight range
  • Can't be fired after moving unless you have snapshot

Strike rifles:
  • Sniper and scout
  • Squadsight range is short, and scouts have to carry a scope to get it
  • Can always be fired after moving
  • Less crit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Yeah, y'all are right: most of the lack of input is my own fault. I've been trying to slow-walk the alien dossiers, and was planning on doing XCOM class dossiers too, just so I'd have something to break up the crush of mission videos. But the only way to get through that crush of mission videos is to :justpost:, and I've not found a great balance thus far.

In regards to some questions re: equipment...

Yep; I don't use SCOPEs. In Long War, SCOPEs give +8 aim and nothing else (there's a foundry project that'll make it +8 aim AND +8 crit). That's not nothing, but there are several reasons not to use SCOPEs that I think are pretty valid:

1.) I play really aggressively, going for flanks. Most of our troops will be 80% or better to hit on a flank shot at this point. An 8% additional chance to hit does reduce the chance of a catastrophic miss (RIP Pash) by almost 50%, but in general, a flanked enemy will run like hell to get out of the flank. Thus, something flanked will either be dead OR acting defensively so I can usually get out of trouble should I miss.
2.) Enemies that can't be flanked I tend to use different strategies for. Drones and seekers can't be flanked, but I will usually just blow them up with a shredder rocket (see the previous video). Airborne floaters can't be flanked, but I've got snipers with deadeye and shotgunners to deal with them.
3.) Thin man acid is still the most ruinous thing to a party right now, and being able to partially negate that with medkit spam shouldn't be underrated.
4.) As Grapplejack pointed out, SCOPEs cost a decent chunk of change. Not so much now that I'm getting a workshop block built up, but if I wanted to build some SCOPEs it'd still set me back probably about $250 to make sure I had enough to outfit the team. That's money better used for almost anything else right now.

Later on, I'll build a bunch of them because one of the advantages of SCOPEs is that they require ONLY money. No alloy cost.

If I were playing super defensively (lots of gunners, medics, and infantry with suppression) I'd probably use SCOPEs and get into "shooting from cover" matches with the aliens. But because our strategy requires us rushing meld, it's not a great option.