Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

Goa Tse-tung posted:

your spamming is annoying

Ah such a meaningful addition to why V5 is better than v20 and requiem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i updated the Odsečen post, they seem pretty mechanically complex so i would appreciate some help from Game Geniuses in adding some crunch. I envision it as basically combining the vampire and their ghoul into one character, who has some of the strengths and some of the weaknesses of both. maintaining the host body would be an expense, but would allow you to operate in daylight. Combat in daylight could be a bad idea though, a hole in the ghouls ribcage and suddenly lil mr vampire is facing the sun.

I did the weakness the way I did because I figure one that lives long enough will get strong enough it can bust out some like chestburster tail whip moves on suckers while its outside of a host, maybe do some face hugger poo poo.

maybe if they got really strong they could burrow into another vampire and diablerize them from the inside out.

There's a lot more poo poo you could do with a parasitic vampire freak i'm just kinda sleepy right now.

I would like to make these guys and maybe 1 more bloodline more crunchy, then write a little more lore for them and put them all together into a nice glossy pdf people can look at and use in their games as antagonists or PCs if they want.

quoting myself for the new page because i didnt think this would be the last post of the previous page.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

In conclusion V5 is good and maybe predator types require some ST balancing to be perfect for goons who never actually play any of these games

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Cant believe the system is unsound because a guy who said he likes V5 hyper focused on one aspect that needs possible balancing

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
until someone does a proper F&F of V5 i decline to hold any opinion towards it. bring back hunter.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Oberst posted:

Ah such a meaningful addition to why V5 is better than v20 and requiem

V5 is not better than Requiem. You really need to calm down, though; my criticism of V5’s polish does not really warrant the kind of histrionics you and your friends are going through here.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Vampire's developers have always hissed and backed away from discussions of balance like somebody threw open the curtains and brandished a crucifix. Why should the fanbase be any different?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

moths posted:

it's an indicator that other corners were cut, mistakes were made, and that the designers didn't really know what they were doing.
More importantly, people have known about the importance of bullet-shaped chargen in WW games for decades, so when your fifth bite at the apple using your flagship property still gets it wrong, it's a massive red flag that nothing is changed or better.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

V5 is not better than Requiem. You really need to calm down, though; my criticism of V5’s polish does not really warrant the kind of histrionics you and your friends are going through here.

Don't you ever call me a friend of oberst

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Shrecknet posted:

More importantly, people have known about the importance of bullet-shaped chargen in WW games for decades, so when your fifth bite at the apple using your flagship property still gets it wrong, it's a massive red flag that nothing is changed or better.

for some reason i think i trust this poster about vampire stuff

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Shrecknet posted:

Or, at risk of being lumped in with the spam brigade, they don’t consider it a problem and think the benefit of keeping it light and streamlined better than making it crunchy and more convoluted

It really feels like a mountain being made out of a molehill but if it’s been a problem for decades I can see why people get peeved by it. The possibility of being XP inefficient compared to a fellow player isn’t going to keep me up at night imo.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

to me the real problem with v5 is bringing back the outrageously stupid vtm lore, every non-nosferatu part of the owod is dumb as hell and belongs in the 90s.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Halloween Jack posted:

Vampire's developers have always hissed and backed away from discussions of balance like somebody threw open the curtains and brandished a crucifix. Why should the fanbase be any different?

That's unfair. Swede Drac and pals had a lot to do in the V5 playtest, balancing feedback on the gay spartan cosplayer rules, pedophile PC rules, and defining maladjusted immigrants rejected by society. You can't expect them to catch everything.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

GNU Order posted:

Or, at risk of being lumped in with the spam brigade, they don’t consider it a problem and think the benefit of keeping it light and streamlined better than making it crunchy and more convoluted

It really feels like a mountain being made out of a molehill but if it’s been a problem for decades I can see why people get peeved by it. The possibility of being XP inefficient compared to a fellow player isn’t going to keep me up at night imo.

Remember, though: the V5 devs DID do a lot of work to solve this problem with attribute and skill dots. They just... got tired, or lazy, or something, and simply couldn’t stick the landing.

The fact that no one apparently knows how the Celerity 5 instapunch works, and the playerbase had to shake down the devs for clarification on the (otherwise pretty cool) combat rules because at least one of the examples in the core was flatly wrong, does not fill me with confidence.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
I want to clarify: wrestling a tree is something you don't do when you're right.

It's something you can do but it's an exercise in futility because like
what are you going to do when you're done? You sure showed that tree.

To flip it around a bit: V5 has some interesting ideas but was made under the direction of a man whose leadership led to there being an international incident over content choices two books into the line. The foundation laid is not one that is sound, and most of us would prefer not to live in a groverhaus of RPGs.

Loresheets are cool, more games need them.

Requiem is really a different and overall kind of noncomparable game in my opinion and experience. It's about vampires and it uses a variant on the storyteller system, but its current edition especially is the result of decades of refinement and shoring up the foundation, and empowers the execution of the characters and stories it is designed to tell, without metaplot.

You're allowed to like metaplot but...metaplot burns poo poo when someone in charge decides that the faction you like to play as doesn't exist anymore, or that the entire clan you wanted to use got wiped out, or any of those things. Yeah. You can absolutely ignore that for your home game, but you're also absolutely not getting new material to support the use of these options while everyone who's not trampled on by the metaplot continues to see new material developed for them, and frankly there were reasons the industry shifted away from metaplot after the 90s.

It's okay to enjoy whatever game you enjoy, but it's not okay to come into a conversation and make declarations that the game you enjoy is objectively better than other games. That's called being a dick about it.

Don't argue with Ferrinus. Not because Ferrinus is a tree, though that's part of it. Don't argue with Ferrinus because Ferrinus is generally correct and has always put more thought into it than you have.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Soonmot posted:

Gatornado!

I saw Crawl last week, a fun and extremely tight little movie that is no joke about a gatorcane.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

to me the real problem with v5 is bringing back the outrageously stupid vtm lore, every non-nosferatu part of the owod is dumb as hell and belongs in the 90s.
To me it seems pointless to make a new edition of Vampire: the Masquerade that discards all of its mythos. They already made Requiem. I mean, I'd make huge changes if I were in charge of it. But about the only thing that could make Swedracula even more arrogant is if he'd just bought the official VtM trademark to slap onto his own personal Vampire: Undeath.

Ferrinus posted:

The fact that no one apparently knows how the Celerity 5 instapunch works, and the playerbase had to shake down the devs for clarification on the (otherwise pretty cool) combat rules because at least one of the examples in the core was flatly wrong, does not fill me with confidence.
I was just skimming the V5 rules while reviewing Masquerade, and I was stunned to learn that V5 appears to be the only version that doesn't make Celerity crazy overpowered? I wouldn't say it's fixed, and there are new things about Celerity and Potence I don't like, but it's way way better than it was in any previous edition. (And I don't mean to overemphasize this one particular notorious character option, but "Is breaking the action economy a good idea?" is a good way to tell whether or not a designer is completely stupid.)

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

quoting myself for the new page because i didnt think this would be the last post of the previous page.
What about, instead of making it where the base power buy-in is how the bloodline becomes an effectively playable PC, you make it where the default state is that, and that the first dot of Parasitism (or hell, the third dot, and make the first and second 'you can more efficiently take advantage of the benefits of not really being obligated to this body') is the body-hopper?

So like, their weakness would be the Ventrue one, plus I dunno, maybe some situational penalty to fine motor control or perception within X amount of time of waking up / assuming a new host, because the connections aren't warmed up properly yet with their vitae? The blanket STR/DEX penalty feels insanely bad unless I'm misreading it.

And then you could have like:
Parasitism 1 - Count your Blood Potency as (Parasitism) lower and your Humanity as (Parasitism) higher for purposes of sunlight damage and frequency.
Parasitism 2 - Ignore (Parasitism) worth of wound penalties from bashing damage passively, from lethal damage by spending vitae for the scene, by just shutting out that nervous system stimuli
Parasitism 3 - The bodyswap, etc.

That way, one dot in the bloodline discipline already takes a starting character's Blood Potency to 0, which takes the frequency of sunlight damage dealt to "nope" while preserving the flavor of lil bone snek piloting corpse mech into the light. And if they're keeping up on their bloodline discipline as their BP increases, they can effectively always be walking out into the sun. Maybe make it cost blood per turn/scene just to keep them from being the full solution to the daystar though, or make it a "half Parasitism, rounded up" subtraction to BP. Something.

Chernobyl Peace Prize fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Aug 1, 2019

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

The thing that gets me about V5's character building issues is that 'flat but high costs for Discipline dots' seems like not only an easy fix, but much easier bookkeeping. Chronicles games do that (or at least all the ones I've played do) and it's far simpler than costs which scale with purchase.

Having multiple non-equivalent routes to the same set of character sheet elements is just sloppy, and is one of the things fans of Ex3 were most exhausted by when the Original, Bad Devs (tm) kept them in. It's possible to like a game and also recognize that it has meaningful flaws that need to be fixed by the developers or by house rules.

It is also kinda weird how a flurry of posters all declaring 'V5 is amazing, no I will not be discussing this further' showed up at once. Oberst's multiposts and insistence that nobody who disagrees plays the games are uniquely obnoxious, though. Just edit your post if you need to add more, please!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Joe Slowboat posted:

It is also kinda weird how a flurry of posters all declaring 'V5 is amazing, no I will not be discussing this further' showed up at once.
:hmmyes:

A Renaissance Nerd
Mar 29, 2010

Joe Slowboat posted:

It is also kinda weird how a flurry of posters all declaring 'V5 is amazing, no I will not be discussing this further' showed up at once. Oberst's multiposts and insistence that nobody who disagrees plays the games are uniquely obnoxious, though. Just edit your post if you need to add more, please!

For the record I enjoy V5, and discussed it further. The XP differentials from Predator type does suck, but having a potentially single roll resolve "I want to feed before heading out" does a lot to streamline play IME.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Joe Slowboat posted:

The thing that gets me about V5's character building issues is that 'flat but high costs for Discipline dots' seems like not only an easy fix, but much easier bookkeeping. Chronicles games do that (or at least all the ones I've played do) and it's far simpler than costs which scale with purchase.

Having multiple non-equivalent routes to the same set of character sheet elements is just sloppy, and is one of the things fans of Ex3 were most exhausted by when the Original, Bad Devs (tm) kept them in. It's possible to like a game and also recognize that it has meaningful flaws that need to be fixed by the developers or by house rules.

:jerkbag:

Sorry for not citing the 25 year publishing history of White Wolf games when making a statement like “one dot on character creation placed sub-optimally is not a system-breaking mechanic”

I’ll go back to lurking so you guys can gatekeep the thread back into talking about OWOD mage lore from the 90’s

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I really wish we had an nwod BJ Zanzibar's World of Darkness. There's a mirror of the old one here but, more. Give me more.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

A Renaissance Nerd posted:

For the record I enjoy V5, and discussed it further. The XP differentials from Predator type does suck, but having a potentially single roll resolve "I want to feed before heading out" does a lot to streamline play IME.

Yeah I've appreciated your posts, and I think streamlining feeding is a valid move. Personally I like to keep the mundane elements of Chronicles monster gameplay visible at least at first; my Mage group took a little while to acclimatize and figure out how best to use ongoing spells and rites to erase mundane issues, and it was a good early plot that's faded into the background as the players and characters have adjusted. I've seen people post about how in Requiem you start off narrating feeding but relatively quickly it becomes a quick check like you describe, as the vampire becomes blasé about devouring human life. But that's not a disagreement, I just think it's an interesting design space.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

GNU Order posted:

:jerkbag:

Sorry for not citing the 25 year publishing history of White Wolf games when making a statement like “one dot on character creation placed sub-optimally is not a system-breaking mechanic”

I’ll go back to lurking so you guys can gatekeep the thread back into talking about OWOD mage lore from the 90’s

Boom headshot

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Joe Slowboat posted:

Invitations to my v5 Chronicle are still open

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

I love the concept of body horror spine vampires. Bit of tweaking so they need to swap bodies more often and it could also be a creepy as hell antagonist. Something has been murdering its way through ghouls or humans, who all seem to be missing their spines when they're found? That could be a fun mystery.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Can't Strix also pilot a corpse in daylight, or am I remembering that wrong?

Also, this reminds me of the comic Witch Doctor, where a vampire is a parasitic worm that replaces the host's internal organs and extends out of their mouth during feeding. Maybe that's where this pseudovamp's special powers come in?

Altogether this feels like something partway down the convergence on vampirism, where if we let them stew for a few centuries they'd be even more Kindred-y.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Ferrinus posted:

Man writing multiple pages agonizing over one dot: calm down

Lmao

V5 is def better

Invitations to my game are open if youd like to play

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Oberst posted:

Lmao

V5 is def better

It's amazing that you haven't filled your game up already considering your friendly and non-confrontational personality.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

I could story tell circles around this thread and I'm extremely nice and friendly

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Joe Slowboat posted:

IIRC there was a similar flurry when the playtest and then the core dropped, in the general chat.

In this thread as I recall, we mostly debated the poor fashion choices of the undead in 2019.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Requiem is so much better than Masquerade it’s not even close.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

MollyMetroid posted:

You're allowed to like metaplot but...metaplot burns poo poo when someone in charge decides that the faction you like to play as doesn't exist anymore, or that the entire clan you wanted to use got wiped out, or any of those things. Yeah. You can absolutely ignore that for your home game, but you're also absolutely not getting new material to support the use of these options while everyone who's not trampled on by the metaplot continues to see new material developed for them, and frankly there were reasons the industry shifted away from metaplot after the 90s.

So you're allowed to like metaplot, but not really?

Honestly the metaplot is what I love Vampire for. Requiem's decision to entirely kill it off was stupid as hell and I'm loving glad V5 brought it back.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Oberst posted:

Lmao

V5 is def better

You have definitely written more than me on the topic, but you also compulsively hit the post button between every few sentences. Immediately resorting to ridiculous lies and exaggerations to pretend an obvious problem doesn’t exist is a sign of being extremely emotionally invested and defensive.

V5 has some novel mechanics and I appreciate that its combat system is simpler than Requiem 2E’s (but not than 1E’s, especially given all the mistakes and ambiguities that call for on the spot adjudication that neither 1E or 2E’s rules need) but its setting is much worse and less customizable and a lot of the wheels it reinvents don’t really need to be. Like, Hunger is cute but you could just do the same thing with Vitae without the clumsy construction of rolling to Rouse twice but taking the best result.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

What about, instead of making it where the base power buy-in is how the bloodline becomes an effectively playable PC, you make it where the default state is that, and that the first dot of Parasitism (or hell, the third dot, and make the first and second 'you can more efficiently take advantage of the benefits of not really being obligated to this body') is the body-hopper?

So like, their weakness would be the Ventrue one, plus I dunno, maybe some situational penalty to fine motor control or perception within X amount of time of waking up / assuming a new host, because the connections aren't warmed up properly yet with their vitae? The blanket STR/DEX penalty feels insanely bad unless I'm misreading it.

And then you could have like:
Parasitism 1 - Count your Blood Potency as (Parasitism) lower and your Humanity as (Parasitism) higher for purposes of sunlight damage and frequency.
Parasitism 2 - Ignore (Parasitism) worth of wound penalties from bashing damage passively, from lethal damage by spending vitae for the scene, by just shutting out that nervous system stimuli
Parasitism 3 - The bodyswap, etc.

That way, one dot in the bloodline discipline already takes a starting character's Blood Potency to 0, which takes the frequency of sunlight damage dealt to "nope" while preserving the flavor of lil bone snek piloting corpse mech into the light. And if they're keeping up on their bloodline discipline as their BP increases, they can effectively always be walking out into the sun. Maybe make it cost blood per turn/scene just to keep them from being the full solution to the daystar though, or make it a "half Parasitism, rounded up" subtraction to BP. Something.

Just wanna say it's nice to see people talking about bloodline stuff, it's been on my mind because I've been working on my own mirror themed Nosferatu line. My gut feeling says the xenomorph bits should be 4 or 5 instead. It's basically a new mode of play. Perhaps instead 3 lets the vampire tap into the ghoul's memory for vitae?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Just wanna say it's nice to see people talking about bloodline stuff, it's been on my mind because I've been working on my own mirror themed Nosferatu line. My gut feeling says the xenomorph bits should be 4 or 5 instead. It's basically a new mode of play. Perhaps instead 3 lets the vampire tap into the ghoul's memory for vitae?
Post those mirror Nossies drat it

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I mean, you could write metaplot that doesn't rapidly swing game elements that people are using in and out of canon.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

When people say “metaplot” do they mean the setting backstory with Caine and the Second Inquisiton etc or do they specifically mean the idea that the official setting will change as new books come out and inform us all that the Gangrel have rejoined the Camarilla or whatever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

now as payment for writing this everyone has to say nice things about my other ideas I had.

I feel like there should have been something in there about the bloodline really tying the clan together.

I liked the Odsečen one, but I run Awakening at the moment and I can't see that as being super playable for most games. It's definitely something that's really cool and leaving the body and taking over another one is actually really awesome and I could see that being a fun mechanic to abuse to screw with the players in a few different games. I'm still not sure how it would work in practice in a game, but I haven't played Requiem since before 2e.