Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

stealie72 posted:

From a "buy here pay here" dealer.

A what? Isn't that all dealers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

Didja want to pay credit card interest rates on your car?

https://www.creditkarma.com/auto/i/buy-here-pay-here/

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Ah, that sucks.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Jaded Burnout posted:

No the usual process if you're not paying the entire cost up front is getting a loan from somebody else and paying the bank or whatever you got the loan from.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

Ah, that sucks.
Yeah. The usual "joke" is a junior enlisted driving a mustang/camaro/lifted F-150 that he bought from one of these places because he's 18 with a government-backed paycheck and all the natural sense and financial restraint of a teenager.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

stealie72 posted:

Yeah. The usual "joke" is a junior enlisted driving a mustang/camaro/lifted F-150 that he bought from one of these places because he's 18 with a government-backed paycheck and all the natural sense and financial restraint of a teenager.

poo poo, that's the whole bunch minus a handful of outliers.

Every Joe I know rattles off about dumb poo poo everyone else did, but conveniently thinks they have avoided all those mistakes, through their fourth marriage and 3rd car.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
We're in the middle of refinancing a car the BF got from one of those places. An uninsured driver hit him and he didnt have gap insurance. He bought it for 12 grand and had it 2 years now, paying 350 a month, and it's still got a payment of 11 grand left.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Suspect Bucket posted:

We're in the middle of refinancing a car the BF got from one of those places. An uninsured driver hit him and he didnt have gap insurance. He bought it for 12 grand and had it 2 years now, paying 350 a month, and it's still got a payment of 11 grand left.

holy gently caress

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Suspect Bucket posted:

he didnt have gap insurance.
whyyyyyyyyy

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Zereth posted:

No the usual process if you're not paying the entire cost up front is getting a loan from somebody else and paying the bank or whatever you got the loan from.

Ehh. A fair amount of dealers have effectively in-house banks (GM Financial, Ford Auto Financing) that are competitive with third party car loans.

...but these aren't those, these are "no credit? bad credit? Bob's Autos can get you in a car today, no problem!" places.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Splicer posted:

whyyyyyyyyy

Because I didn't know him then and wasn't around to make his good decisions for him.

His old car was in a wreck about a week before our first date, and the place he got the car from totally hosed him over. The transmission was awful, and exploded JUUUUSSSTT within the powertrain warrantee. By like, a week of expiring. So at least we got that going for us. Once we get the registration transfered to where we are living now, we are gonna get the refi done.

My truck is glorious and paid in cash

Nevets posted:

Jesus, that's like an 8 year car loan at 30% interest.

Got it in one. He had no cash for a down payment and his credit was less then stellar. We got half his credit cards paid off, his education loan is 2 years away from paid, and he just got a promotion, so we're doing well. Just untangling poo poo.

At least he's not like the last boyfriend who went 4g in debt at a strip club sheeeeeeeeesh

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 31, 2019

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Suspect Bucket posted:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Nevets posted:

It's expensive as hell being poor/having bad credit/having no financial savvy.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

My mother spent some time teaching a "basic skills" course to junior enlisted. When they'd get to the lesson on calculating interest on loans there would always be a swath of the class frowning angrily at their paper. And that's the soldiers self aware enough to sign up for a class.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Jaded Burnout posted:

Yeah the cobbler's children effect is real. I've owned my web development business for 6 years now and I still don't have a website.

I'm a computer janitor for my job and all my computers have been made of random bits that people have been throwing away for decades. I once ran a MacBook Pro that i got out of the trash for years.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Suspect Bucket posted:

Because I didn't know him then and wasn't around to make his good decisions for him.

His old car was in a wreck about a week before our first date, and the place he got the car from totally hosed him over. The transmission was awful, and exploded JUUUUSSSTT within the powertrain warrantee. By like, a week of expiring. So at least we got that going for us. Once we get the registration transfered to where we are living now, we are gonna get the refi done.

My truck is glorious and paid in cash

Got it in one. He had no cash for a down payment and his credit was less then stellar. We got half his credit cards paid off, his education loan is 2 years away from paid, and he just got a promotion, so we're doing well. Just untangling poo poo.

At least he's not like the last boyfriend who went 4g in debt at a strip club sheeeeeeeeesh

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3878671

Please repeat all of that louder for the rest of the class in the bad with money thread

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/cjqje9/window_contractor_lied_about_lead_safe/

Window contractor lied about Lead Safe Certifications and now my home is contaminated, what do I do? (IA)

[quote]We hired a contractor who advertised as being a lead safe renovator to replace our windows and siding on our 1930's era home. We are doing these repairs because my 1yo was found to have elevated levels of lead in her blood and my wife is pregnant, so it is best to eliminate the risks. We knew for certain that original wood siding and windows are lead painted and let the company know this as well. Unfortunately, well into the project we learned that the construction crew who wears the contractor company's shirts, is a hired subcontractor who is not a lead safe renovator. They also aren't licensed and likely not insured. Our siding was installed last week and our windows were put in yesterday which has resulted in the inside and outside of our house to be contaminated with paint chips and dust. After taking off work yesterday to observe their construction, I have substantial proof of them not following the required means and methods for clean up and contamination. They are finishing work today, but we know our house is unsafe to return to, so what can we do?

Update 1: The State Department of Health Investigator walked through my property and stated that the subcontractor ignored nearly all of the state and federal lead safe renovation guidance and our house isn't livable until they have thoroughly clean inside and out. The general contractor has been made aware of the issue and is supposed to be here soon.

Update 2: The general contractor has been apologetic and says he has hired a professional cleaner secretary to clean the inside of the house. The state inspector is to come inspect tomorrow afternoon. The general contractor ordered the subcontractor to begin removing my mulch and picking up debris and the subcontractor tried to say that the lead paint around my house and around my windows was there beforehand so it isn't his problem. I suggested to the general that they be removed from my property because I cannot trust their clean up responsibility/ability now.

Update 3: I may have found a lawyer that is willing to help out if I can't get things resolved amicably. So far my only contact with the general contractor has been with their construction manager. The owner of the company has so far not reached out to me despite my verbal request for their plans to remedy the situation in writing. All I have heard is that they will "make it right". I found out the cleaner was not a professional, just one of the spare desk workers at their office. They have been scrubbing the inside of my house with swiffers, the subcontractor finished work and vacuumed around the house after removing the mulch from around my house, and I have yet to know how they plan on remediating all of the lead contamination from my property. The construction manager wants to meet at 7am tomorrow and I told him to have steps to correct this written down in hand or to have a change order form ready. I have a job interview at 9am, so this will be interesting.

Update 4: The owner finally met with me and it was an effort to get him to agree to a certified lead abatement contractor for cleanup...he tried to weasel out of it in a similar fashion as the subcontractor. He verbally agreed to do some other fixes that the subcontractor should have done properly and verbally agreed to give me a lien and liability waiver to protect me from the subcontractor. As far as credits go towards my bill or compensation, I asked him to tell me what he thought was fair and he said that because what I use my vacation time at work for is not his business. He said he could do less than $1000 because he was doing me a favor by having a lead abatement contractor come for cleanup. I told him it was a good start, but we would need to come up with another number. As I had anticipated, none of this was in writing.[/quote]

Those clowns need to be out of the industry immediately.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

The first dozen replies to that post had better be "retain a lawyer". Why even bother talking to the owner at that point?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I dunno, I think that "Buy shotgun and give him lead poisoning " would also be a valid response.

Culex
Jul 22, 2007

Crime sucks.
oh no it's spreading

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Culex posted:

oh no it's spreading

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Not a bunch of mismatched windows 1/10

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

nullscan posted:

Not a bunch of mismatched windows 1/10

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

That house is wearing a toupee.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

roflmao

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Didn't even put a deck or patio on. A shameful waste of a shirt frat house.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
NewMoney.jpg

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvU5dmu4sl8

brutalism rules

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My buddy was telling me he wants to add dormers to his house for some aesthetic non-functional reason, which I told him was stupid. Just sent him this.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yeah, def. impossible to know how it will line up. Even professionals are stumped.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

0.o

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

nielsm posted:

Yeah, def. impossible to know how it will line up. Even professionals are stumped.

Time spent measuring is time not actually working!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

FogHelmut posted:

My buddy was telling me he wants to add dormers to his house for some aesthetic non-functional reason, which I told him was stupid. Just sent him this.

So now he thinks you're telling him to do this instead.

In other words, post pics when he's done it.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I do get annoyed seeing the tiny tiles of shame but I wonder how you can prevent it on wall tiles when one wall in the room is longer than the other and not by an easily divisible fraction? Do you just space em out a little more so it adds up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Center the layout so you have a little more than half on each side?