Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Julio Cruz posted:

never underestimate how charging twice as much for something can delude people into thinking it's somehow twice as good

Thorstein Veblen - impossible to say if he was good or bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Guavanaut posted:

Neoliberalism plus nationalism is more like Bushism than fascism. It's about bringing people together as a nation by creating a series of Others while selling off the state apparatus, not cementing the supremacy of the state.

Look up the origin of the word "privatisation"

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.
I bought a fresh OJ & a croissant this morning totalling 5 UK pounds and I feel pretty disgusted by myself. You can probably guess where I live.

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

please don't do this tia

Definitely not with Brexit on the horizon. Leave the scarce supplies of insulin for those who already need them.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

ThomasPaine posted:

Can someone give me the sparksnotes on how Living Marxism went from ridiculously crude third-worldist 'anti-imperialism' to the turbo-conservative Spiked? It's such a fascinating transition that I'm sure follows some coherent progression but I've yet to find an account that doesn't assume some knowledge of the minutiae of 90s fringe-left groups and figures.

Very quick summary from what I remember: a part of their ideological core was that there was no proletariat in the first world, because it was being prevented from forming by excess regulation and restrictions on free speech etc. Workers would never develop the class consciousness required without removing those restrictions and regulations, so it was important to do so as fast as possible (accelerationist approach). Hence, easy shift into right-libertarianism, perhaps accelerated somewhat by their being bankrupted after claiming that the existence of the Trnopolje concentration camp was a lie, whoops

CGI Stardust fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Aug 1, 2019

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

kecske posted:

JAB, who own krispy kreme and pret and a bunch of other stuff, have a history of using slave labour and described themselves in the 40s as a purely Aryan business who fully supported race theory.

A German company that existed in the 40's did bad things you say, what a revelation.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

jacksbrat posted:

Definitely not with Brexit on the horizon. Leave the scarce supplies of insulin for those who already need them.

But how are we going to binge eat to combat the onset of clinical depression and get rid of the bucketloads of candy from Halloween?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

Can someone give me the sparksnotes on how Living Marxism went from ridiculously crude third-worldist 'anti-imperialism' to the turbo-conservative Spiked? It's such a fascinating transition that I'm sure follows some coherent progression but I've yet to find an account that doesn't assume some knowledge of the minutiae of 90s fringe-left groups and figures.
This is the closest to a quick takedown, although for thoroughness it should be noted that that site themselves are a bit quick to jump into bed with anti-science groups.

There's also RCP Watch which is a longer archive, but does nothing but watch RCP/LM.

Gum posted:

Look up the origin of the word "privatisation"
That doesn't mean that neoliberalism, with its focus on economic globalism, is a fascist project.

CGI Stardust posted:

Very quick summary from what I remember: a part of their ideological core was that there was no working class proletariat in the first world, because it was being prevented from forming by excess regulation and restrictions on free speech etc. Workers would never develop the class consciousness required without removing those restrictions and regulations, so it was important to do so as fast as possible (accelerationist approach). Hence, easy shift into right-libertarianism, perhaps accelerated somewhat by their being bankrupted after claiming that the existence of the Trnopolje concentration camp was a lie, whoops
Yeah, they were always oddballs even at LM, but the big shift was when they started taking money from huge corporate lobbyists :iiam:

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

Aramoro posted:

A German company that existed in the 40's did bad things you say, what a revelation.

i proudly user Schindler's lifts

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

jacksbrat posted:

I’ve got some weird congenital hypoglycaemia thing that gives me all the joys of a hypo and the excuse to ram a multipack of mars bars down my gullet as the cure. By all rights I should have got diabetes years ago but I think my hosed up metabolism has prevented it from being a possibility.

When the sugar supplies start running low is the point I really need to panic about it.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Aramoro posted:

I thought pointing out things that were nazi-adjacent was the done thing? :shrug:

I had a cronut once and that was pretty tasty. kind of expensive though and spending anything over £2 for a sweet pastry doesnt seem right

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Diet Crack posted:

But how are we going to binge eat to combat the onset of clinical depression and get rid of the bucketloads of candy from Halloween?

forget candy, this 31st October I'm going round asking for tinned food

and making notes of the houses which have big ground floor windows and no dogs

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

https://player.fm/series/we-dont-talk-about-the-weather-2474004/episode-65-limping-marxism

If you're into podcasts WDTATW did a good summary of living marxism.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

please don't do this tia

They fell so hard in love with genocidal authoritarians that they started cuddling up to the local breed. The other part of it was that they were privileged enough that their definition of the 'freedom' they prized so greatly turned out to be that of a spoiled, moneyed elite doing whatever they wanted - not an uncommon situation for Trotskyites, as the SWP and WRP attest.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

kecske posted:

I thought pointing out things that were nazi-adjacent was the done thing? :shrug:

They weren't Nazi adjacent, they were Nazi's but they're dead now so unless they're still a proud Aryan company?

Nazi adjacent would be someone like IBM who produced and supplied the equipment making it easy for the Nazi's to track Jewish people.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Guavanaut posted:

That doesn't mean that neoliberalism, with its focus on economic globalism, is a fascist project.

The nazis were big on extracting wealth from weaker nations too.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Not very big on using the values of Enlightenment Liberalism as a justification. Nor on enriching a transnational elite, they wrote pamphlets about that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Seriously, between Gerry Healy, Martin Smith, Mark Curtis, and the various reprobates of the RCP, there's pretty obviously something deeply, structurally wrong with Trotskyite communism.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Guavanaut posted:

Not very big on using the values of Enlightenment Liberalism as a justification. Nor on enriching a transnational elite, they wrote pamphlets about that.

Don't mistake differences in propaganda for differences in policy.

The only thing that's really changed is what is considered "The Nation". We have seen a new nation form since the second world war, one that transcends state lines. This nation is sometimes called "The West", other times "The First World" or "The Global North". This is the nation that is the focus of both neoliberalism and modern fascist movements

Trump, farage and others are unquestionably fascists. How do they differ from neoliberals? Rhetoric and rhetoric alone

Gum fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 1, 2019

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Darth Walrus posted:

Seriously, between Gerry Healy, Martin Smith, Mark Curtis, and the various reprobates of the RCP, there's pretty obviously something deeply, structurally wrong with Trotskyite communism.

My partner was in the RCG for a while (not the RCP) and said they were pretty cool if a little heavy on the 'boycott voting' thing for her tastes. No idea how all these groups intersect though. I'm a big old communist but you will never convince me that getting involved with any of these kind of bickering 10 guy factions will ever be a good way to spend my evenings.

Sanitary Naptime posted:

By all rights I should have got diabetes years ago but I think my hosed up metabolism has prevented it from being a possibility.

No mate, that's just not how any of it works and it's incredibly frustrating to see people continue to make these kind of dumbass lazy jokes. It's a pet peeve of mine sure, but this kind of talk directly encourages a lot of the poo poo that gets thrown at people with diabetes, particularly those with type 2.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 1, 2019

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Gum posted:

The only thing that's really changed is what is considered "The Nation". We have seen a new nation form since the second world war, one that transcends state lines. This nation is sometimes called "The West", other times "The First World" or "The Global North". This is the nation that is the focus of both neoliberalism and modern fascist movements

I um really don't think that's true. Otherwise you'd have the Kippers welcoming Polish people over here with open arms, instead of, y'know, that other thing they actually do.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Jobcentre putting me on a SIA license course.

I'mma be the world's shittiest bouncer.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Diet Crack posted:

There’s some boutique doughnut shop/stall on Fleet Street where each donut is £6.50 or more. I’m not really that surprised considering only lawyers would ever go there, but still. That’s two meal deals and an apple!

I can't believe this place is still open. They have an £8 donut! Who is buying this?!

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

feedmegin posted:

I um really don't think that's true. Otherwise you'd have the Kippers welcoming Polish people over here with open arms, instead of, y'know, that other thing they actually do.

Ask a Kipper if Polish people are "Western" and then ask the same question about a group of immigrants that Kippers do not take issue with, such as Americans or Australians

E: This touches on what is possibly the biggest disagreement within neoliberal and fascist circles: Does The West extend beyond the Anglosphere?

Gum fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Aug 1, 2019

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Here’s one for you guys, the estate agent for the flat we moved out of is tying to stiff us to clean the carpet, saying it needs to be professionally cleaned. Our argument is that it’s been cleaned perfectly well, and indeed to a better standard to how it was when we moved in. There are photos.

What’s the best way to tell them to go do one?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
NHS goons, what indicators should I be looking at for evidence of how community healthcare services are performing? Not only in providing services, but functioning as a sustainable organisation.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gum posted:

Don't mistake differences in propaganda for differences in policy.

Trump, farage and others are unquestionably fascists. How do they differ from neoliberals? Rhetoric and rhetoric alone
A nation that transcends state lines is the opposite of fascism. Which doesn't make it good, but it makes it not fascism. And a nation that adheres to neither the blood and soil definitions of nationality nor the language creed and culture definitions isn't really the same as any definition of nation under fascism.

Also fascism is mostly defined by its rhetoric and aesthetic, so it doesn't make much sense to say "other than the rhetoric it's fascism" any more than when the right says "other than the economics it's Marxism".

It's possible for two very different bad systems to produce results that have superficial common factors without those systems being each other.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Gum posted:

Kippers do not take issue with Australians

“That’s not an Australian flag?!!”

WELL ACTUALLY....

“Oh, brown people, they’re not Australians fam”

WELL ACTUALLY....

“Then they shouldn’t have their own flag fam!”

“We’re talking about Australia fam, why you showing me another flag?”

WELL ACTUALLY..........

E; I would hope people know the aboriginal flag, but for knowledge the second one is the Torres straight islanders flag.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 1, 2019

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

ThomasPaine posted:

No mate, that's just not how any of it works and it's incredibly frustrating to see people continue to make these kind of dumbass lazy jokes. It's a pet peeve of mine sure, but this kind of talk directly encourages a lot of the poo poo that gets thrown at people with diabetes, particularly those with type 2.

Im not making a joke, my lifestyle is a prime candidacy for developing diabetes based on likely factors of cause.

I’m fully aware that there’s loads of reasons people can develop diabetes and it’s not all just “you’re a fat”, but it is one route to increasing the likelihood.

Sorry if I’ve came across as flippant about it, I know what a hypo is like and I know how debilitating it can be, so I’m only speaking from a position of someone who understands going through that poo poo and copes with it fairly regularly.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Gum posted:

Ask a Kipper if Polish people are "Western" and then ask the same question about a group of immigrants that Kippers do not take issue with, such as Americans or Australians

E: This touches on what is possibly the biggest disagreement within neoliberal and fascist circles: Does The West extend beyond the Anglosphere?

It is definitely 'the first world' and 'the global north'. If you're going to say 'English speakers' instead then sure I guess but that's a different argument and I'm not sure it makes any sense to say they consider the anglosphere to be a 'nation'. Aaaaaalso, even if we are talking about the anglosphere, try asking them what they think about the Irish.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Gum posted:

It's has to be more complex than that. I very much doubt any fash would consider, say, Germany, France, or the Netherlands 'non-Western' despite them not speaking English by default.

feedmegin posted:

Aaaaaalso, even if we are talking about the anglosphere, try asking them what they think about the Irish.

Also this 100%.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Azza Bamboo posted:

Jobcentre putting me on a SIA license course.

I'mma be the world's shittiest bouncer.
Ah, but now you're not in the 'seeking employment' numbers. You're 'training' so they can jerk themselves off about unemployment somehow falling, despite big companies going bust left and right, putting hundreds and possibly thousands out of work. :downsgun:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

feedmegin posted:

Aaaaaalso, even if we are talking about the anglosphere, try asking them what they think about the Irish.

Gabh mo leithscéal mo dhearthair, níl Béarla againn. Deirimid as Béarla ach amháin nuair a bhfuil obair le déanamh leis na Sasanaigh againn.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

It's has to be more complex than that. I very much doubt any fash would consider, say, Germany, France, or the Netherlands 'non-Western' despite them not speaking English by default.
Most of the gammon opposition is "it's new and I don't like it". To everything in general, not just the existence of Poland.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Gabh mo leithscéal mo dhearthair, níl Béarla againn. Deirimid as Béarla ach amháin nuair a bhfuil obair le déanamh leis na Sasanaigh againn.
What language do you use when you have to work with the Welsh?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Failed Imagineer posted:

2 years of Irish on duolingo and I think I understood most of that.

Anyway, I've long thought that a UKMT podcast would be easily achievable and probably very good, given the quality of most posters itt. Chapo started out as a recording of a conference call essentially, and it wouldn't be hard to record a group voice chat with some moderation and cut it into something presentable. We only need someone to volunteer doing the editing, I'm poo poo at it and don't have the time.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TIL the Gaelic for brother sounds like daughter.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

My theory is the whole vanguard party thing is very attractive to people who think they're much smarter and better than everyone else and responsible for dragging those stupid ordinary people up to enlightenment. Seems pretty inevitable people with that mindset are going to go on to have OPINIONS once they hit middle age.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sasa naigh againn.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Guavanaut posted:

A nation that transcends state lines is the opposite of fascism. Which doesn't make it good, but it makes it not fascism. And a nation that adheres to neither the blood and soil definitions of nationality nor the language creed and culture definitions isn't really the same as any definition of nation under fascism.

It is a matter of (perceived) creed and culture and pseudoscientific attempts to establish common blood (White is the Aryan of The West). See my edit regarding language, that actually does tend to split modern fascists- see how some identify with Orban and LePen while others have no interest in these 'foreigners'

quote:

Also fascism is mostly defined by its rhetoric and aesthetic, so it doesn't make much sense to say "other than the rhetoric it's fascism" any more than when the right says "other than the economics it's Marxism".

Fascism, as in the movement that gained power in early 20th century, is defined by its rhetoric and aesthetic because if you strip that away you are just left with authoritarian capitalism. We are making the same point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Well yes, but Irish as a language was largely resurrected in the context of resistance against the British state. Ireland's majority population is still de facto part of the anglosphere - even among catholics - and has been since probably the medieval period (i.e. well before imperial capitalism as we understand became the dominant socio-economic system in Britain).