Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tired Moritz posted:

I would be legit surprised if anyone could actually save Gilly in your first battle with him cause he's super suicidal

Is that the spiral level? I just outran him.

Though again, normal difficulty :v:

I think restarting is probably the right move now that I think about it. Plus I can recruit the people I want sooner. Gonna suck losing all my support levels though :rip:

e:

PantsBandit posted:

I sent a few units back to help him out/heal him but he had already fallen by the time they got there. If you knew the reinforcements were going to be coming from the back I don't think it would be hard to keep him alive.

But really his only purpose on that map is to hold your flank for a few extra turns.

Oh right, forgot about the reinforcements. I had Petra, Bernie, and Edelgard hanging back (Edelgard to get the chest and Petra/Bernie because they weren't very far forward when the first ones spawned) so they just took everything out.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Aug 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Tired Moritz posted:

I would be legit surprised if anyone could actually save Gilly in your first battle with him cause he's super suicidal

I sent a few units back to help him out/heal him but he had already fallen by the time they got there. If you knew the reinforcements were going to be coming from the back I don't think it would be hard to keep him alive.

But really his only purpose on that map is to hold your flank for a few extra turns.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Honest Thief posted:

Any way to work reclassing into helping me make up for bad level up rolls? Raphael has now 1 RES so whenever a mage comes near him he croaks lol

New classes have minimum stats, so a new class with high res will bump raphs up to whatever that minimum is. It also affects growths so it can help him get levels that have res.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Honest Thief posted:

Any way to work reclassing into helping me make up for bad level up rolls? Raphael has now 1 RES so whenever a mage comes near him he croaks lol

Get hum into an Advanced Class. Most of them have a 12/10 baseline for Def/res they drag people up to.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What's the maximum number of adjutants you can ever assign? At professor level B+ I can assign two. Will that become three eventually? It'd be nice to use more adjutants so maybe I can level up Hilda and Lorenz enough that I can maybe save their terrible stats with advanced classes.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Harrow posted:

What's the maximum number of adjutants you can ever assign? At professor level B+ I can assign two. Will that become three eventually?

Yeah, 3 at A

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

PantsBandit posted:

I was actually having a convo with a friend of mine the other day about FE's difficulty and difficulty in games like this in general.

I think it must be very, very difficult to have anything resembling a smooth difficulty curve when you have so many systems in play at once.

Ha. If you'll permit me an anecdote regarding an unrelated game from someone on the design side of that... while we were working on SWQ, and well into its release (including today), one of the weirdest experiences was hearing testers/players complaining both that the game was extremely difficult and extremely easy. People were saying there were overpowered characters and strategies, but everyone was talking about different things. It's bewildering. We added difficulty settings, but still hear people saying the game is giving them trouble on the easiest difficulty as well as being a pushover on the highest currently available one. In the end, all we could do was trust in our mathematics panning out (the challenge level is fairly carefully mapped out through the game with lots of things deriving from that single number), err on the side of too easy (players hate too hard more than they hate too easy), and hope that there was enough leeway in terms of difficulty levels that each player could find something that worked for them.

And even then that wasn't the end of the story...

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Annath posted:

Which ones drop Arcane Crystal?

Because I've had 3 of the 4 I need to make a single Levin Sword+ for like 7 chapters and I've broken the shield on literally every Beast I've encountered and haven't gotten any more.

I don't think any of them do. You either find it lying around town, or sometimes it'll be a reward after battle. There's a merchant that sells an infinite supply, but that comes in pretty late.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

I managed to do it until the monster portion because I thought there was something in it for me. The monster proceeded to ORKO him and then I just looked it up if it affected anything (it didn't)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zore posted:

Yeah, 3 at A

Sweet. I'm glad that adjutants gain XP--it seems like a good way to try to catch up units who fell behind.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
At max professor level you have 10 activity points, 3 battle points, and 3 adjutants.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
One thing I wish this game did that the previous games did:

When moving around the battlefield, the red "I can attack here" indicators are placed in every spot your unit could theoretically reach, even if doing so requires ignoring the fact that another unit is in the spot you'd need to attack from.

It makes it somewhat misleading when moving your army grouped up, because it shows you way more red attack squares than you actually have available.

And it's weird because I know for a fact that the GBA games would only show red squares that your selected unit could ACTUALLY attack, and took into account enemy/ally placement.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Agean90 posted:

New classes have minimum stats, so a new class with high res will bump raphs up to whatever that minimum is. It also affects growths so it can help him get levels that have res.

Zore posted:

Get hum into an Advanced Class. Most of them have a 12/10 baseline for Def/res they drag people up to.

Advances have a minimum of lvl 15, right? Need to keep him away from mages till then, he got screwed bad with his rolls, and even lost a point when making him a brawler

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm enjoying Blue Lions so far. I've recruited in Lorenz and Lysithia for the magic punch, plus I like them. I'm not getting anyone from Black Eagle so I can see them all fresh in my next run. I think I'll probably drag in Raphael and Hilda my other favourite Best House members. I'm pretty pumped for part two so I can work with Dimitri High King of the Edgelords. I felt like I didn't see much of him on my first run but I powered through part two a bit.

I'm doing a hard mode run now and I'm glad I got used to the game on normal since I'm not a longtime player. I didn't even realise I could select abilities, I thought it was like a viewer lol

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Ha. If you'll permit me an anecdote regarding an unrelated game from someone on the design side of that... while we were working on SWQ, and well into its release (including today), one of the weirdest experiences was hearing testers/players complaining both that the game was extremely difficult and extremely easy. People were saying there were overpowered characters and strategies, but everyone was talking about different things. It's bewildering. We added difficulty settings, but still hear people saying the game is giving them trouble on the easiest difficulty as well as being a pushover on the highest currently available one. In the end, all we could do was trust in our mathematics panning out (the challenge level is fairly carefully mapped out through the game with lots of things deriving from that single number), err on the side of too easy (players hate too hard more than they hate too easy), and hope that there was enough leeway in terms of difficulty levels that each player could find something that worked for them.

And even then that wasn't the end of the story...

Thanks for the input! I find game design really interesting, especially as games get more and more complex.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Honest Thief posted:

Advances have a minimum of lvl 15, right? Need to keep him away from mages till then, he got screwed bad with his rolls, and even lost a point when making him a brawler

Level 20 for Advanced classes. Most of your people who have skewed stats (like Raphael, Lysithea etc) will get huge usability spikes there as their awful stats get massive bumps.

It can even save people who refuse to gain str/mag.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Tired Moritz posted:

Keeping him alive through the reinforcements was fairly trivial. Stopping him from suiciding into the monster would definitely be trickier, but I doubt it's impossible. He starts far enough away that I was able to delay his death a turn by using a movement art on him. I probably could have swung it if I had had a better grasp on the mechanics for monster fights at the time.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Part one is lengthy (and breezey) enough that I think I might actually struggle to go through the other routes if it really is mostly rehash

ugh

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I haven't been able to recruit anyone yet. I am so bad at this game.

Also I made Mercedes a mage but I'm thinking I probably should have made her a priestess. Annette seems more suited to making the world burn.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Cattail Prophet posted:

Keeping him alive through the reinforcements was fairly trivial. Stopping him from suiciding into the monster would definitely be trickier, but I doubt it's impossible. He starts far enough away that I was able to delay his death a turn by using a movement art on him. I probably could have swung it if I had had a better grasp on the mechanics for monster fights at the time.

He loving moved through enemies twice when attacking in an effort to be impossible to heal for me. I had to charge Ashe and Lysithia in to draw hits which was a nightmare. Also I had to rewind because he ate poo poo to the monster thing the moment he was given a chance.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

does the difficulty spike after the timeskip?

I really don't want to restart and have to go through the monastery to find all the items that boost professor exp again lol

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Tired Moritz posted:

He just sort of trudges along at the back, the baddies can't even hurt him.
I've no idea how you could have him die at all?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Gamerofthegame posted:

Part one is lengthy (and breezey) enough that I think I might actually struggle to go through the other routes if it really is mostly rehash

ugh

A majority of the length is doing everything to maximize professor levels. Going straight to quests and just doing stuff for support reasons massively reduces the time spent.

As someone that spent the last 3 months just eating with people to finish supports cause I had A+ for a while.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Zore posted:

Level 20 for Advanced classes. Most of your people who have skewed stats (like Raphael, Lysithea etc) will get huge usability spikes there as their awful stats get massive bumps.

What's stopping you from re-classing someone in to all of the classes with the highest minimum for each stat? Just what classes they qualify for?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Taear posted:

He just sort of trudges along at the back, the baddies can't even hurt him.
I've no idea how you could have him die at all?

Pretty much just attrition. There are I think 4 enemies that come from the back. He's pretty tanky but it only takes 2-4 turns for him to get worn down.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Detective No. 27 posted:

I haven't been able to recruit anyone yet. I am so bad at this game.

Also I made Mercedes a mage but I'm thinking I probably should have made her a priestess. Annette seems more suited to making the world burn.

Shower people in gifts and take people for tea often. I think the support ranks give you a big bump in recruiting.

You could always get Mercedes to just train healing now and she will also be able to defend herself with black magic. I've got her doing a bit of both and it's good. You can aim to make her a Gremory later in the game this way too.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Flayn joined my house with a Pegasus but has no interest in flying. I even manually set flying as one of her goals and she still doesn't want to learn it.

But that's fine because Flayn suuuuucks and her name sounds like Flan.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

PantsBandit posted:

Pretty much just attrition. There are I think 4 enemies that come from the back. He's pretty tanky but it only takes 2-4 turns for him to get worn down.

The extra guys all deal 6 damage to him and he struggles to kill them on hard. So that's two turns and he's dead if he hasn't already decided to eat some sharp metal (he definitely has).

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Reik posted:

What's stopping you from re-classing someone in to all of the classes with the highest minimum for each stat? Just what classes they qualify for?

Yeah basically. Also you can only even try certification tests 1/week and can't save scum them to succeed. Plus seals themselves cosy money and money can be surprisingly tight.

Qualifying for a lot of different Advanced classes is tough because hitting A rank in a skill is a lot of investment.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

IcePhoenix posted:

Yes.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Reik posted:

the bar for these is also relatively low, it's only near advanced that it gets practical and those need A-B~ ranks to qualify.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Also in general pity stats range from 8-14. Which can help save glass cannons like Lysithea or Caspar with their garbage Def and Res in the late game but they aren't anything to write home about for basically any other stat tbh.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Zore posted:

Hello 10str at level 17 Ashe... (If only his innate skill wasn't so useful I would straight up bench him).

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

IcePhoenix posted:

I really don't want to restart and have to go through the monastery to find all the items that boost professor exp again lol

I can confirm that there is a significant difficulty spike after the timeskip. Say hello to silver weapon toting enemies with 20+ AS

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
You didn't see poo poo.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 1, 2019

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Scrap Dragon posted:

I can confirm that there is a significant difficulty spike after the timeskip. Say hello to silver weapon toting enemies with 20+ AS

ok, cool, I can just continue my normal playthrough and stop stressing about it then

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

OddObserver posted:

Hello 10str at level 17 Ashe... (If only his innate skill wasn't so useful I would straight up bench him).

Next playthrough the bow users aren't going into an Archer class until sniper, they sticking as some brawny class instead. They need strength bad.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

ugh
You can literally skip everything though

You can even auto-battle and skip your own turn

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

OddObserver posted:

This is hilarious because my Ashe ended up with 33 str at level 37 on my first run

Putting him on a Wyvern gave him some big gains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Doing shitloads of gardening will help you add little stat increases. I've just been doing explore except for the merchant mission and I've just finished chapter 6 with a B+ professor. So now I'll be doing paralogues plus explore. Doing nothing but sharing a meal, gardening and choir practice makes you a lean mean teaching machine in no time. You can also use your massive amount of activity points to bump up stats you might want for recruiting.

Seminars are for dunces, go eat multiple big lunches instead.