Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

doing angela and sera would be extremely cool and they could easily fit into whatever plotline valkyrie is getting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Jim the Nickel posted:

The only other trans character in all of Marvel I can think of (besides those already mentioned) is Koi Boi. That seems.. a little low, Marvel. Maybe get on that.

if it is koi boy im going to lose my poo poo, i want a squirrel girl movie or show real bad

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Abroham Lincoln posted:

iirc the Ultimate universe Jessica Drew had a lot of themes of gender dysphoria even though I don't think she identified as trans. Using that as inspiration could be interesting, but probably unlikely if they're using Jess in the Spider-Verse spinoff.

Yeah, she was literally Peter's mind in a female body. It was never written as a trans story or anything though and was like a 1 issue plot.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

scary ghost dog posted:

if it is koi boy im going to lose my poo poo, i want a squirrel girl movie or show real bad

i mean, it wouldnt be great to look specifically for trans actresses if youre casting for a trans man

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

site posted:

i mean, it wouldnt be great to look specifically for trans actresses if youre casting for a trans man

u caught me, i didnt read any of the posts and just noticed someone mentioning koi boi

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

Jim the Nickel posted:

The only other trans character in all of Marvel I can think of (besides those already mentioned) is Koi Boi. That seems.. a little low, Marvel. Maybe get on that.

Huh. I’ve read most of Squirrel Girl and that just whooshed right by me. How about that.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i wouldnt feel too bad, its never talked about afaik, and the only reason we know is because of one panel where hes shown wearing a binder. and if youre not familiar with what a binder is beforehand there'd be no reason for you to understand what you were seeing. ryan had to confirm thats even what it was on twitter because someone asked

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

^^^^
Oh poo poo that's great, I didn't know that bit.

I don't think Koi Boi is textually trans but a convincing case has been made for that being the intent with him. I'd love it to be explicitly stated.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

rantmo posted:

^^^^
Oh poo poo that's great, I didn't know that bit.

I don't think Koi Boi is textually trans but a convincing case has been made for that being the intent with him. I'd love it to be explicitly stated.

Someone asked the artist and it's meant to be a binder.

Personally, I thought it was a wetsuit vest to keep him from freezing to death.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

site posted:

there was a hercules with the rock?

Yeah and it got trashed opening weekend by ScarJo's Lucy, which led to everyone going 'WHERE IS OUR BLACK WIDOW MOVIE MARVEL' even louder than before.

So naturally here we are like six years later getting that film.

Rhyno posted:

He sold her to Marvel so he probably gets a creator credit and a decent royalty check.

Sold her to Marvel for a very low price, if I'm remember, just to spit in McFarlane's eye.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah definitely not Todd is what I was getting at. Because that guy, I don't like him.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Scaramouche posted:

Yeah definitely not Todd is what I was getting at. Because that guy, I don't like him.
Kinda want this to be in the credits of Love & Thunder, now:

quote:

Angela Created By:
Neil Gaiman

Angela NOT Created By:
Todd MacFarlane

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Vandar posted:

Sold her to Marvel for a very low price, if I'm remember, just to spit in McFarlane's eye.
I thought it was like a dollar but when I try to look it up I am not finding anything to back up that idea

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

FlamingLiberal posted:

I thought it was like a dollar but when I try to look it up I am not finding anything to back up that idea

That's what I had heard but I couldn't find a source on it either.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really want Angela to be in Love and Thunder just to have Thor go "How many secret sisters do I have???".

Wasn't there another transperson? Either in Gwenpool or Hellcat?

Squirrel Girl should be in development even if they can't get New Warriors of the ground, the character is to popular and endearing to just leave fallow. Like Young Avengers, make these shows/movies you cowards!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Bear in mind, Marvel could decide that a non-trans character will be trans in their film.
Like if we are sticking with the Eternals they could decide that Sersi (the Eternal who is all about transformation and change) is Trans.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

The Question IRL posted:

Bear in mind, Marvel could decide that a non-trans character will be trans in their film.
Like if we are sticking with the Eternals they could decide that Sersi (the Eternal who is all about transformation and change) is Trans.

There's that bit of writing about Jean Grey's arc as a trans narrative that floats around, but I personally think the idea of a trans reboot of Emma Frost would work really well. I certainly admire the character and her core modern conceit-- a stylized and highly refined model of femininity, with the twinned powers of being able to and having to "read" people and the impervious diamond shell-- a lot more, and find it a lot more fascinating, as an out trans woman reader than I did before.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Archyduchess posted:

There's that bit of writing about Jean Grey's arc as a trans narrative that floats around, but I personally think the idea of a trans reboot of Emma Frost would work really well. I certainly admire the character and her core modern conceit-- a stylized and highly refined model of femininity, with the twinned powers of being able to and having to "read" people and the impervious diamond shell-- a lot more, and find it a lot more fascinating, as an out trans woman reader than I did before.

you could also just slightly alter the thing where she allegedly is more or less mentally projecting the image she wants people to see at all times, and have it be that she does it to deal with her dysphoria and to be able to pass more easily

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's way too many telepathy immune people, cyborgs, robots and sentient viruses out there for Emma to ever risk not looking glamorous.

It's a solid beat for a story like that though.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i didnt mean that shes secretly always walking around in sweatpants

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Wasn't there some alternate reality or possible future storyline where she used her telepathy to look permanently late-20s while her body aged normally?

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think that was in the Secret Wars; Old Man Logan miniseries.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Old Man Logan did that.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Archyduchess posted:

Do you really want a "transgender 'woman' tricked cyclops into loving him*" meme floating around?

*The 'him' above was for illustrative purposes only. People are whatever they say they are, and are entitled to their own pronouns.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Marvel would never do it anyway.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Beachcomber posted:

Do you really want a "transgender 'woman' tricked cyclops into loving him*" meme floating around?

*The 'him' above was for illustrative purposes only. People are whatever they say they are, and are entitled to their own pronouns.

If hypothetically I were to plot this out I don't see why there'd have to be any suggestion of her tricking him. Cyclops can love an out trans woman, and I don't see why the idea of using her powers to look more youthful or whatever is any more deceptive than a real person putting on make-up or a push-up bra or product in their hair or any number of completely quotidian things.

Case in point, if I put on a little bit of foundation and concealer and put on a skirt, I can go out and run errands and be in the office and most strangers will see me and perceive a woman. However, even with the benefit of a year of hormones, if I decide to go three days without shaving, cut my hair short, wear a baggy flannel shirt and jeans, slouch a bit, adopt a slightly different gait, etc., they might just as easily see me as a man. I'm not trying to trick anyone by "dressing up" like a woman-- I'm just making lots of little day-to-day decisions to communicate to the world the message I want to communicate vis a vis my identity. Everyone does this-- if they didn't, deodorant companies would go out of business.

I like how the Witcher franchise deals with this, if I'm remembering right-- many of the witches in it look magically young and in some cases more beautiful than they initially did, but it's treated as just a fact of life, one sort of glow-up among many.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 1, 2019

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Beachcomber posted:

Nazis would complain about it in their own little bubble regardless so why do i care about that, but i dont know where the idea the this plot is inherent to the idea of emma being trans is coming from unless youre matthew rosenberg

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Archyduchess posted:

I like how the Witcher franchise deals with this, if I'm remembering right-- many of the witches in it look magically young and in some cases more beautiful than they initially did, but it's treated as just a fact of life, one sort of glow-up among many.

on the other hand, it's a result of what's implied to be painful magical plastic surgery that they only go through because their particular culture demands women mages look a certain way (and men don't have to do the same, nor do women in other societies with different traditions surrounding magic). for me, at least, it seemed like more of a metaphor for unfair gender standards and the need to perform femininity in a particular way that society enforces

eke out fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 1, 2019

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

eke out posted:

on the other hand, it's a result of what's implied to be painful magical plastic surgery that they only go through because their particular culture demands women mages look a certain way (and men don't have to do the same, nor do women in other societies with different traditions surrounding magic). for me, at least, it seemed like more of a metaphor for unfair gender standards and the need to perform femininity in a particular way that society enforces

Oh for sure, and I admit I was being a little glib about it. I think the Witcher stuff, for whatever flaws it has, is good at really thinking through the cultural politics of its setting..

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Archyduchess posted:

Oh for sure, and I admit I was being a little glib about it. I think the Witcher stuff, for whatever flaws it has, is good at really thinking through the cultural politics of its setting..

i take your point though: marvel could use someone like emma frost to tell an interesting story about a trans woman, just like the witcher could've given the availability of magical body-changing stuff — but neither really has the guts to actually do it yet.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Archyduchess posted:

There's that bit of writing about Jean Grey's arc as a trans narrative that floats around

I think we're well past the age of metaphors for the lgbt experience in superhero media being enough, we need actual representation. I don't want to read the way Wolverine was treated by his family because of his parentage as a metaphor for being a gay teen in the early 1900s, I want Wolverine to make out with Hercules.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

I want Wolverine to make out with Hercules.

You’re a few years late on that one.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lurdiak posted:

I think we're well past the age of metaphors for the lgbt experience in superhero media being enough, we need actual representation. I don't want to read the way Wolverine was treated by his family because of his parentage as a metaphor for being a gay teen in the early 1900s, I want Wolverine to make out with Hercules.

bro look at who youre talking to lmao

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Or ideally make and give them their own character to represent them. Changing an existing character makes people mad more than anything else.

Creating a new character that's not a white dude makes people mad too, but those are the kinds of people we don't care about.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Aphrodite posted:

Or ideally make and give them their own character to represent them. Changing an existing character makes people mad more than anything else.

Creating a new character that's not a white dude makes people mad too, but those are the kinds of people we don't care about.

gently caress 'em, tbh

people are going to be mad regardless, shuri was ostensibly a new character and folks online got mad about her being a mary sue or whatever

people that don't read ninja turtle comics are mad about there being a new lady turtle in the ninja turtles comics, even if the story leading into it makes sense and she is not, as far as I can tell, a repeat of the venus de milo character from that lovely fox series

if dudes are gonna blow a gasket either way then gently caress it, I say do whatever

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

This is why I want them to commit to bi storm rather than go the whole t'challa marriage route in the MCU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I agree? Maybe I was being too circumspect in my phrasing but I wasn't trying to say "Emma Frost resembles a type of queer experience," but "whenever they next re-do or revamp Emma Frost she should be queer."

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I can't wait until Marvel replaces all the straight white men in their movies with interesting characters

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

kustomkarkommando posted:

This is why I want them to commit to bi storm rather than go the whole t'challa marriage route in the MCU

I'm glad they seem to be going with Nakia instead.

Although ngl, Storm/Thor was my old OTP

JUST DO THIS MARVEL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lunatic Sledge posted:

gently caress 'em, tbh

people are going to be mad regardless, shuri was ostensibly a new character and folks online got mad about her being a mary sue or whatever

people that don't read ninja turtle comics are mad about there being a new lady turtle in the ninja turtles comics, even if the story leading into it makes sense and she is not, as far as I can tell, a repeat of the venus de milo character from that lovely fox series

if dudes are gonna blow a gasket either way then gently caress it, I say do whatever

"nazis on twitter would get mad" is up there with "im a nazi on twitter and am mad" as one of the worst arguments ive seen for not doing something. like,

Beachcomber posted:

im still reeling from this

site fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 1, 2019