Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Popete posted:

I definitely plan to pick this up but I'm waiting for the consensus to say when it's good and also a sale.

It's good now with the 1.2 beta, honestly, but there are major changes planned soon so I'm waiting a bit before recommending it to my friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

https://twitter.com/producerjohan/status/1156605488618004486

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah imperator is in a pretty good place now and got better much faster than Stellaris but I think there is some rewriting of history going on for stellaris that tends to happen as time passes.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah imperator is in a pretty good place now and got better much faster than Stellaris but I think there is some rewriting of history going on for stellaris that tends to happen as time passes.

This is true. Stellaris' launch at the time was considered not a great game but incredibly impressive and ambitious for Paradox, and rightly so. Imperator didn't have that excuse.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I loving hated Stellaris on launch and I will probably never revisit it.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I played minimal Stellaris at launch-ish (i think?). Only really got into it when Utopia came out I believe.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I did maybe 50-60 hours of launch Stellaris and enjoyed it much, much more in the time immediately after launch than I have with I:R. I don't really remember the zeitgeist of the time with Stellaris as well as some of the other titles, but I started considering it a good game around the time of... the machine empire DLC, I think? And it's only gotten better.

I still play it far less than CK/EU/Vic/HOI though. It has maybe half of the playtime of the rest (500ish hours on each of the first four, about 250 on Stellaris).

Still only have twenty hours in Imperator, even with the current patch state. I don't feel as butthurt about it as some people did/do about Stellaris though (it was a bad game at launch therefore I will never enjoy it!!!!1), but I still think it's a bad game that I'm perfectly content not touching for another year until they sort it out.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Humble Bundle's got all the not cosmetic not music DLC for CK2 for 15$ by the by. Never played CK2 so now got something to play until IR is good.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I think part of the issue with Imperator is that while it's clearly a direct sequel to EU: Rome, the different name kinda sold it as something different, instead of just more polished EUR. I have a feeling that has played into some of the backlash.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
Anyone got any Phrygia advice?

I've found patch 1.2 is quite fun!

Horsebanger fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Aug 1, 2019

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Arrhythmia posted:

I loving hated Stellaris on launch and I will probably never revisit it.
Its changed dramatically since launch. How pops are managed, space travel, and a whole bunch of other stuff. I dont know why you hated it but it may be worth checking out sometime.

Flavius Aetass posted:

It's good now with the 1.2 beta, honestly, but there are major changes planned soon so I'm waiting a bit before recommending it to my friends.
Is there a good place to read up on these potential changes? Other than Dev Diaries.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Its changed dramatically since launch. How pops are managed, space travel, and a whole bunch of other stuff. I dont know why you hated it but it may be worth checking out sometime.

Mostly because after the initial expansion and event chains there was nothing to do but curb stomp the AI in unmatched wars (which it sounds like has changed, so kudos there) and because I am fundamentally uninterested in the setting (which probably isn't going to change).

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Stellaris was a pretty dramatic departure from the norm for Paradox, basically going from "Here's the world, click who you want to play, some places are miles more powerful than others" to "Everyone starts equal* like a standard 4x" and that was always going to be a shock in the short-term, but in the long-term the players who don't want to play that second kind of game will have self-selected themselves out of the group of people who are discussing the game, leaving only those who like what the game is now.

* Except for advanced neighbours, fallen empires, the khan's guys etc

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I didnt like stellaris because the scifi world they created was really generic and uninteresting. whereas the EU/CK games dont rely on Paradox for worldbuilding nearly as much, for obvious reasons, because they can draw so much from history instead of having to create a whole world from scratch. to me that is bigger than the mechanics. in the EU/CK you can do things like play as an obscure Ottoman count with ambitions to rebuild the Second Bulgarian Empire, or take control of a small German state during the Napoleonic wars, or try to turn Japan into a major colonial power, etc. and that's a fairly unique thing in video games. Whereas space conquest games where you choose between terrans and a bunch of generic alien with the goal of painting the galaxy have been a dime a dozen since the days of ascii gaming, there's nothing particularly special about Stellaris other than some of the realtime mechanics I guess, which for me made it a lot harder to overlook the flaws compared to other Paradox games

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 1, 2019

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Arrhythmia posted:

Mostly because after the initial expansion and event chains there was nothing to do but curb stomp the AI in unmatched wars (which it sounds like has changed, so kudos there) and because I am fundamentally uninterested in the setting (which probably isn't going to change).

Earwicker posted:

I didnt like stellaris because the scifi world they created was really generic and uninteresting. whereas the EU/CK games dont rely on Paradox for worldbuilding nearly as much, for obvious reasons, because they can draw so much from history instead of having to create a whole world from scratch. to me that is bigger than the mechanics. in the EU/CK you can do things like play as an obscure Ottoman count with ambitions to rebuild the Second Bulgarian Empire, or take control of a small German state during the Napoleonic wars, or try to turn Japan into a major colonial power, etc. and that's a fairly unique thing in video games. Whereas space conquest games where you choose between terrans and a bunch of generic alien with the goal of painting the galaxy have been a dime a dozen since the days of ascii gaming, there's nothing particularly special about Stellaris other than some of the realtime mechanics I guess, which for me made it a lot harder to overlook the flaws compared to other Paradox games

Thing is, you can sorta fix the setting problem with a couple of hours of work. I built 20 races and forced the game to use them and set the number of races in the game to 20. Now the setting is my setting. :shrug:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

jng2058 posted:

Thing is, you can sorta fix the setting problem with a couple of hours of work. I built 20 races and forced the game to use them and set the number of races in the game to 20. Now the setting is my setting. :shrug:

well yes thats true. and with even more hours of work i could learn to code and make my own video games.

to me if the player has to put in hours of worldbuilding work in advance in order to make a game's setting interesting its kind of a sign that its a bad game

im grateful for the nerds who spent time taking apart the innards of the EU games and putting them back together again to make them more historically accurate or more interesting and i used to play some of those mods back in the day but the generic space conquest setting is in and of itself so uninteresting to me that even that level of loving around seems pointless

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

jng2058 posted:

Yeah I did this too. I take 1-3 factions that made an impact on any given campaign and remake them as custom empires. So my list kinda grows over time and mostly consists of my most hated past enemies or best friends. It’s cool.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

jng2058 posted:

I'm going to spend those couple of hours playing a better game.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
You can really tell the state of a game when the thread about it would rather talk about other games.

Imperator is in a better place now but I find very few compelling reasons to boot it up instead of EU4 or CK2. Now that I've really put some time into both games it really feels like Imperator tries to split the difference between the two and ends up combining the worst traits of both of them. Really what I think needs to be done with Imperator is a push to give it it's own unique identity that doesn't feel a cheap knockoff of EU4's strategic layer smashed into a half-assed version of CK2's politics

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

You can really tell the state of a game when the thread about it would rather talk about other games

this, very much

I was having a blast with Hearts of Iron which, imho, is the "blandest" paradox game in the sense that I am not exactly into this type of wargaming but it has a great merit: it is a game that knows what is about very well. Imperator is certainly a game I would play a lot in a sitting or two, but I don't feel anything fresh or, like, there isn't much novelty in terms of paradox games

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
The two things which are really starting to get to me, having put ten hours into the game, are the pops and characters. You can see the beginnings of some great ideas in these systems, but I:R is a bit too conservative with them.

For pops, it’s quite a shallow system at the moment that has some complexity, but maybe not enough to really matter. When I expand into a territory that is not mine culturally or religiously, aside from some negative modifiers, what do I experience? Do I have to fear that they will break off from my polity? Do I worry about integrating them into my culture slowly and how I go about integrating their nobility? Do I use the new conquest as a means to placate current political powers? Are current areas’ pops affected by my new pops? As of the moment, I experience none of that. There’s no interaction between those new pops and the state at large, and no reason to not just integrate these pops as soon as possible. It’s just clicking a button. There’s no narrative there. You won’t learn about displacing people to find land for your soldiers or colonists, for instance. You won’t have the experience of integrating a nobility and later a society into your culture. You won’t have slaves coming back to drive freedmen out of their professions within the empire. The narrative of history is missing.

Also missing is the sense that helping characters should matter. Especially if I’m playing as a republic (I.e. the titular power), why should I care about doing good things for my ruler? Why should I care about doing good things for one particular faction or person? More importantly, why should I care about helping a character over the larger state? There’s no tension at all between a ruler who will soon be replaced or even a non-ruler and your state overall. Everyone is expendable, which makes all the choices regarding characters feel hollow. Why should I want to help Gaius Marius when Sulla is a perfectly valid ruler, or vice versa?

It’s true as well that characters, because they’re tied down to one polity, are restricted from acting as some of the most interesting men of the period did. Pyrrhus, bouncing between Epirus, Sicily and Southern Italy, is mechanically barred from existence. So too is someone like Alcibiades, his treachery against the Athenians feeling a little hollow in I:R terms. This game yearns for a character, or dynastic driven engine, and we probably won’t see it. It’s a missed opportunity.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Democrazy posted:

Do I have to fear that they will break off from my polity?

Yes, once you get enough of them in your empire

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Wafflecopper posted:

Yes, once you get enough of them in your empire

Fair, but I don’t get the same feeling I do from incorporating a new area as I do in CK2 or EU4, and the solution of clicking a few buttons which expend points is somewhat tedious.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

Edit: whoops, double post. I would reiterate that I don’t hate the game, and I love the setting, but this game needs some love to truly reach its potential.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
I get that they didn't want large portions of the map being completely empty, but I wish they didn't create a bazillion tribal minors who feels identical to each other. Very bland.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Hryme posted:

I get that they didn't want large portions of the map being completely empty, but I wish they didn't create a bazillion tribal minors who feels identical to each other. Very bland.

That’s how the Romans felt too.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Humble Bundle's got all the not cosmetic not music DLC for CK2 for 15$ by the by. Never played CK2 so now got something to play until IR is good.

No portrait packs though. Can't imagine playing in a world of stock picture generic whites and potato-faced alcoholics.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Then turn your monitor on.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Average Bear posted:

lol

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Argh.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Average Bear posted:

:iceburn:

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

There's a dev diary expanding on these changes. Looks interesting, but I hope there are some more visceral consequences to starvation than just increased migration speed. I also kind of appreciate that not every low-pop, low-civilization patch of desert is considered a "city" anymore.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Magissima posted:

I also kind of appreciate that not every low-pop, low-civilization patch of desert is considered a "city" anymore.

Yeah, I recognize that in many senses it's basically meaningless, but things like this and them having added more types of somewhat-redundant buildings and so on actually have a lot of impact for me. The little things like that add a lot.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Koramei posted:

Yeah, I recognize that in many senses it's basically meaningless, but things like this and them having added more types of somewhat-redundant buildings and so on actually have a lot of impact for me. The little things like that add a lot.

The little thing permits roleplaying and fleshes our the world. If they keep detailing the game like this I’ll definitely give it a second go in a few months!

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I'm less and less optimistic about those changes. It seems like they're turning each patch of land into more unique and harder to manage plot of land. To me it looks not like the typical Paradox model where the system works by itself and you add improvements in specific points, but rather like an end-game 4X where your empire is as effective as attentive you are, so spend more time in pause looking for a good spot to spend your money => get more optimal results. Imperator 1.0 lacked a proper macrobuilder compared to other paradox games where you would just drop a temple in the most effective place (or in CK2 just build the next money/troops/defense building). But now you have an interesting choice between Territory buildings. But you'll probably have 100 territories on start, so what you will do is ignore nuance and drop one of those buildings - any one of them - in the next most populated territory you have.

But I can't argue before I've tried it. We'll see.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Nice, the update with all the Twitter teases Johan has been posting is up.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

V for Vegas posted:

Nice, the update with all the Twitter teases Johan has been posting is up.

does it have proper icons, or everything is still using the same placeholder icon making it impossible to understand what currency you're actually spending?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

TorakFade posted:

does it have proper icons, or everything is still using the same placeholder icon making it impossible to understand what currency you're actually spending?

hmm how can you still say there's mana in the game when there's no icons for it? checkmate steambombers

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I have hundreds of hours in Crusader Kings 2.

Is this game the successor to CK2 I've been waiting for? IE: is this a character/lineage focused game, or is it more like EU and Stellaris and focused exclusively on the Macro scale, nation-state stuff?

Because I really like the lower-level detailed gameplay and bizarre events that are possible when you're playing as one dude/dudette.

You can't die by summoning Cthulhu when you're playing as a Nation-State :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Annath posted:

I have hundreds of hours in Crusader Kings 2.

Is this game the successor to CK2 I've been waiting for? IE: is this a character/lineage focused game, or is it more like EU and Stellaris and focused exclusively on the Macro scale, nation-state stuff?

Because I really like the lower-level detailed gameplay and bizarre events that are possible when you're playing as one dude/dudette.

You can't die by summoning Cthulhu when you're playing as a Nation-State :argh:

It's EU 4.5, sorry.