Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

You want the glam part or the hippy-poetry part? If the former check out Electric Warrior and any of the singles collection (stuff like Children of the Revolution never made it onto any of the albums).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Electric Warrior and The Slider are equally good albums, though different. Electric Warrior has more of a rock tinge, The Slider is glam as all hell. I'm not a fan of the next few albums, but if you like those two, I'd then recommend Dandy in the Underworld. It's not as good, but has more of that era of sound.

I've given the druggy folk a try and can't get into it, but the self-titled T. Rex starts the development into glam T. Rex. There are word salads on it, but you get Ride a White Swan, Jewel, Beltane Walk and Diamond Meadows.

T. Rex also has a good many non-album songs. The Rhino reissue of Electric Warrior has the best selection of these (King of the Mountain Cometh, Hot Love, Woodland Rock, etc.). 20th Century Boy: The Ultimate Collection has a good selection, too, including the best of the druggy folk, what I consider the best version of One Inch Rock. and singles 20th Century Boy, Children of the Revolution and Solid Gold Easy Action.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I’ve been getting into what I guess you’d call “midwestern emo” so stuff like Tiny Moving Parts and American Football. I like that they have vague math rock influences, I think it gives it a really interesting sound. Any suggestions for more bands like that? I guess this is more of a “where do I start with this genre” question

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Braid? I love this 7”, but I am more into skramz personally so also open to suggestions.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

internet celebrity posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, I think I'll start with the first NEU!, the first Faust, and Ege Bamyasi. If I'm still digging it I'll give Tago Mago a shot.

For a newer krautrockish band check out cave, they are great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgLoC2fKll0

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
HEALTH

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Their Max Payne 3 soundtrack is good for getting a feel for their sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEH_LSL4rVw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSbs4r5eFp4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXuP0hRJMm0

Their other albums can be noisier and faster, though.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Thumbtacks posted:

I’ve been getting into what I guess you’d call “midwestern emo” so stuff like Tiny Moving Parts and American Football. I like that they have vague math rock influences, I think it gives it a really interesting sound. Any suggestions for more bands like that? I guess this is more of a “where do I start with this genre” question

If you like American Football you should probably try Cap'n Jazz, and might also like Mike Kinsella's solo project Owen (although Owen is way more acoustic singer songwriter).

As the other poster said, Braid is also probably up your alley.

If it's the more math rocky element, you might also want to check out the DC scene from that era, like Dismemberment Plan or Q and not U or Faraquet, although I'm sure some genre sticklers will tell you they are post-hardcore or some other thing that isn't midwestern emo.

I'm also far from knowledgeable on either of these scenes, so I'm sure more people will have better responses.

Edit: you might also like some of the newer bands like The Hotelier or Joyce Manor who are super indebted to the whole midwest emo scene.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 11, 2019

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Voodoofly posted:

If you like American Football you should probably try Cap'n Jazz, and might also like Mike Kinsella's solo project Owen (although Owen is way more acoustic singer songwriter).

As the other poster said, Braid is also probably up your alley.

If it's the more math rocky element, you might also want to check out the DC scene from that era, like Dismemberment Plan or Q and not U or Faraquet, although I'm sure some genre sticklers will tell you they are post-hardcore or some other thing that isn't midwestern emo.

I'm also far from knowledgeable on either of these scenes, so I'm sure more people will have better responses.

Edit: you might also like some of the newer bands like The Hotelier or Joyce Manor who are super indebted to the whole midwest emo scene.

Those are some pretty good recommendations. I also started exploring the genre a bit more and found stuff like sleepy dog, camping in alaska, mom jeans. (which i knew about already but didn't realize they belonged here), marietta, and a few others that i knew about like sorority noise and of course modern baseball

i also realized in my exploration that there is a bizarre number of songs and bands that use clips of michael cera movies. i think juno/scott pilgrim/superbad makes some kind of skinny indie depression holy trinity

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

If you want to check out their noise rock-y side, start with Get Color and then move backwards to their self-titled if you want more. If you want to check out their more pop-but-heavier stuff then start with Death Magic and move on to Vol 4. Those are just the studio albums. They've done remix albums, video game soundtracks, and one-off collaborations with other artists, all of which hold some of their best stuff.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Townes Van Zandt?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Terminally Bored posted:

Townes Van Zandt?

For the Sake of the Song > Our Mother the Mountain > Delta Momma Blues > the rest of his '68 - '72 albums.

Live at the Old Quarter is a great live album.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Did Fountains of Wayne do anything good besides Stacy's Mom?

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Junpei posted:

They wrote the title song for That Thing You Do, but other than that I have no idea.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
They have a really good Tiny Desk Concert but yeah they're mostly known for the meme, which is sad because they're pretty good and have a surprisingly good ability to tell a story with a good narrative in a three minute song.

Check out Hackensack, Valley Winter Song (which sounds fantastic in the NPR video), and halley's waitress

they're one of the bands i have a tendency to go song by song on and not listen to full albums but they're really good in general. i recommend a youtube rabbit hole, personally.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Junpei posted:

I like "Denise"

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Utopia Parkway is a solid album---the title track, The Valley of Malls and Denise are all standouts from it, imo. They did a great (albeit nearly note-for-note) cover of Better Things by the Kinks, too.

Also, the lead dude from that group was in the weirdest supergroup ever, Tinted Windows, with one of the Hansons, James Iha and Bun E. Carlos. They're actually not bad either.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I've heard solid things about Scissor Sisters, and I am always down for campy acts, and this looks to be one of the campiest. Where to start, though?

silencekit
May 1, 2014

Junpei posted:

I've heard solid things about Scissor Sisters, and I am always down for campy acts, and this looks to be one of the campiest. Where to start, though?

The self-titled first Scissor Sisters album is absolute dynamite. Pure drug-fueled sex from start to finish. They never really hit that high again, though there's a couple winners on the second album "Ta-Dah", most notably the opening track. I have not been impressed by anything they've done since.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Avail is a band I've always wanted to know better. Any advice on where to start with them?

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Where should I go next with Melvins if all I've ever really listened to is Houdini and my favorite tracks from it are the ultra sludgy ones like Night Goat and Joan of Arc?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

owl_pellet posted:

Where should I go next with Melvins if all I've ever really listened to is Houdini and my favorite tracks from it are the ultra sludgy ones like Night Goat and Joan of Arc?

Gluey Porch Treatments if you like really sludgey melvins. They're sludgiest album by far.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

owl_pellet posted:

Bullhead

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Kvlt! posted:

Gluey Porch Treatments if you like really sludgey melvins. They're sludgiest album by far.

Both of these are great, thanks for the recs. Also I know they are hugely influential, but the influence is more easily identified in some songs than others. Straight line from It's Shoved on Bullhead to Nirvana's sound of the time.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

owl_pellet posted:

Both of these are great, thanks for the recs. Also I know they are hugely influential, but the influence is more easily identified in some songs than others. Straight line from It's Shoved on Bullhead to Nirvana's sound of the time.

Cobain and Buzzo (Melvins frontman) were high school buddies.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I feel like I'm missing out, because I've heard good things about this band, but I've only heard two songs by them:

Coldplay. I heard Viva La Vida a few times on the radio when it came out, and then somebody put Clocks on at a party once, but aside from that, nada. Any tips?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Continue to not listen to Coldplay.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Junpei posted:

I feel like I'm missing out, because I've heard good things about this band, but I've only heard two songs by them:

Coldplay.

You are not missing out at all.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I’d love to poo poo all over Coldplay as well, but their first album, Parachutes, has a couple of nice songs. I guess you can just go chronological from there.

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery

Junpei posted:

Coldplay. I heard Viva La Vida a few times on the radio when it came out, and then somebody put Clocks on at a party once, but aside from that, nada. Any tips?
Parachutes, A Rush Of Blood To The Head (where "Clocks" comes from), and Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends (where the former comes from, obviously) are their only albums worth a drat all the way through. If you particularly enjoy either 🪂 or Billy & Mandy and want some supplementary material, there are two decent closely associated EPs to pick up (The Blue Room and Prospekt's March, respectively). If you really like all three, you might as well complete the tetralogy and listen to X&Y; even though it's much less consistent than the surrounding three, you'll probably still get something out of it.

Avoid their albums post DAAHF at all costs. Honestly, I'm shocked (and jealous) you haven't heard anything from the last 3 albums--they've produced some loving massive worldwide hits. They are also synthetic vacuous treacly mom-pop abominations, unflinchingly. At most, give "Midnight", "All I Can Think About Is You", "A L I E N S", and "Charlie Brown" a spin, so you can then say you've heard everything salvageable from 2010s Coldplay.

SpiritualDeath fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 2, 2019

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Terminally Bored posted:

Cobain and Buzzo (Melvins frontman) were high school buddies.

There's a story where Kurt was playing In Utero for Dale of the Melvins and the track "Milk It" came on and apparently Dale sorta made a WTF face because the track is basically a ripoff of "It's Shoved".

Here's a quote from King Buzzo making a top 5 list of his favorite Nirvana songs from mp3.com

https://mp3.com/article/guest-playlist-buzz-osbourne-of-the-melvins-shares-his-favorite-nirvana-songs

quote:

"Milk It” Of course I like this song! Of course I like it because it’s a total, TOTAL ripoff of a song I wrote called “It’s Shoved.” It’s on our Bullhead record which I think came out in ’91… Listen to both back to back and then tell me if I’m crazy… Well, I am crazy, but not because of THIS song.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 2, 2019

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Tom Waits?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Kvlt! posted:

Tom Waits?

This will get 60 different opinions.

Personally, I love the early stuff, when he sang like a human. The songs from "Closing Time" and "The Heart of Saturday Night" are fantastic.

If you just dig his Cookie Monster bit, start with "Swordfishtrombones", also a solid album, but that's kind of where his current stage of evolution began.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Kvlt! posted:

Tom Waits?

Tom Waits can be difficult to get into because he has such a varied career.

Rain Dogs is probably my go to starting point. It has a mix of singer songwriter Tom (Time), psycho jazz Tom (Cemetery Polka), and even a massive Rod Stewart hit - Downtown Train.

From there, go with Swordfishtrombones if you like the psycho stuff, or Paul Young (he covered Soldier's Things). Or check out Small Change if you want something more singer songwriter like. Also, Nighthawks at the Diner is hilarious and is worth it even if you don't like the songs.

Mule Variations is also another decent place to go. It's a great album.

From there, just follow where he leads you. You probably won't go completely wrong.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

XBenedict posted:

Personally, I love the early stuff, when he sang like a human. The songs from "Closing Time" and "The Heart of Saturday Night" are fantastic.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Rain Dogs is probably my go to starting point. It has a mix of singer songwriter Tom (Time), psycho jazz Tom (Cemetery Polka), and even a massive Rod Stewart hit - Downtown Train.

From there, go with Swordfishtrombones if you like the psycho stuff, or Paul Young (he covered Soldier's Things). Or check out Small Change if you want something more singer songwriter like. Also, Nighthawks at the Diner is hilarious and is worth it even if you don't like the songs.

Mule Variations is also another decent place to go. It's a great album.

I'd say these are the perfect place to start. Plus "Blue Valentine". "Bone Machine" if you want more of the experimental abrasive stuff.

Closing Time is a perfect album. Mule Variations is my 2nd favorite. Rain Dogs is 3rd favorite.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I mean, my ranking would be 1. Rain Dogs, 2. Heart attack and Vine and 3. Frank's Wild Years.

Yes, I know I didn't include those two in my recommendations, but that's because I don't think they do a good job of giving you the full picture of Waits as an artist.

Like Ruby's Arms is seriously one of his best songs though

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Kvlt! posted:

Tom Waits?

Every Tom Waits album sounds different from every other Tom Waits album. That's not completely true, but it's morally correct.

Is there something you heard that made you curious? If not, just listen to some songs on youtube to get a sense of what you like, and then look at the albums that they're on.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Cemetry Gator posted:

absolute truth

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Cemetry Gator posted:

I always thought that sounded like a song from Cats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Bas As Me is a nice starting point for Waits as well. It has a fairly decent mix of his different styles. It almost sounds like a best of album, except all the songs are new.