Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Maxxim posted:

-lots of feedback-

Let me tell you, this post made my night. Thank you for all the feedback and taking all that time out- I really really appreciate it. I'm also kicking myself over a handful of the things you noted like the autoscrolling in the hotpot stage. I was trying super hard to find a way to make it work and I didn't realize that would of fixed my problem.

Also worth noting is that how the heck did you make the jump in Classic Canyon? I tried it a handful of times and thought that I had it just out of reach so I'm kinda shocked.

Again thank you so much, I really do appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Thoughts on some goon levels:

Ziddar - World 5-Something
I actually played this one last night, and immediately after I did, I thought, "oh, this guy just copied 5-1." I looked up the map to be sure, and, no, you hadn't. You didn't copy 5-2 either. Or World 5 from Lost Levels. Or any other map from either game, as far as I could tell. So, congratulations on making something that captured the essence of World 5 so well that you fooled me into thinking it was the real thing.

Phantasium - Fear the Faces
Loved the idea, fun to look at, but as a whole it felt kinda needlessly crowded and spiky. I'm not sure a checkpoint would've helped, because the only good spot I saw for one was right before the door, and all the hardest bits of the level are before that.

Web Kraken - Prickly Plantation
I forget who said it a while back, or what level it was in reference to, but it's so nice to see a level these days that just gives you a star for the sake of giving you a star, instead of having some purposeful gimmick behind it. Good use of the flying spinies as your primary enemy—hardly anyone seems to use those, and when they do, it's almost always in a clown car shooter level. With the slight branching paths and light puzzle elements while always moving forward, this reminded me a lot of a Genesis Sonic level.

J-Spot - Goombas Working Overtime
Great concept, perfectly executed. I'm not surprised that this is already one of your most popular courses.

J-Spot - Regular Mario Maker
Very good homage to the original Mario Bros, though I felt the sequence of rooms should've maybe been different for a more even difficulty progression—the second room, in particular, feels misplaced. I was also kind of on the fence about whether the level ran a bit too long, or if you placed the second checkpoint too early—I died on Bowser Jr. the first time because I didn't see the note blocks, and then on replays I kept dying a whole bunch to careless mistakes in the goombrat room despite clearing it on my first try. Lakitu room felt like it could've been the boss, but getting through there is a lot faster & simpler after you've done it once. So I dunno.

Doomykins - Snow Flurry Fields
Very pretty level, and I loved how it just totally has the rhythm of a Mario 1 stage, down to the placement of the powerups, and a bonus room accessible through a pipe exactly at the point where it felt like it should have been. The slowness of the blue pipes made a piranha plant or two more dangerous/surprising than you probably intended them to be, but that's a very minor complaint.

Doomykins - Tinker Tower
Fun, challenging, a couple neat branching paths, very cohesive design. My one complaint is that the spiny shell seemed like an odd choice for an out of the way optional power-up, since I didn't see any place where you really get to put it to use, and it prevents you from getting the ? blocks in the last room. Following you because I can already tell you a have a gift for making stages that feel like they belong in official Mario games.

SiftRock - The McDonald's Level
Dumb, fun, Bowser making GBS threads out goombas on a pipe toilet was my favorite part by far.

SiftRock - Winter in 1-1
I loved this. It's a solid enough Mario 1-style underground stage that you didn't even need the gimmick of having it branch off from 1-1, but it was neat how you did it, and it totally worked. Kinda reminds me of being a kid and wondering about those pipe rooms in Mario 2 that had bombable floors and nothing to bomb them with.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Did some random levels to unwind tonight.

Climb Vines, Duck Bills: Good traditional level. One complaint is that I walked straight into a pit because the vines touching the bottom of the screen created the illusion of ground. Judging by the Xs, lots of other people make that mistake. The checkpoint was right there so it wasn't a huge deal but things like that are something to keep in mind to avoid what will feel like a cheap death.

There is no ginger ale: Whatever reference is here is lost on me. Level seems okay but I could not find the third red coin and I didn't wanna spend more time looking for it. That's not the levels fault, I'm just looking for more straightforward stuff tonight.

Gentle Snowy Slopes: Very nice little traditional level. I quite enjoyed how true it felt to the game with its brevity. My only issue is that while getting the hidden starman felt good, there weren't enough enemies for me to get a 1-UP out of it! That's always a bit sad too me.

Raiding Boobarosa's Airship: Decent level. Enjoyed the fake-out after the boss fight, though there wasn't much pressure in the escape to really sell it. It was nice to see some atypical course elements mixed together.

The Pain Lattice: This is one of the most bizarre level layouts I've ever seen. Very strange and frustrating level but in a very good way. Really recommend this oddball.

Phantasium posted:

after "spite" playing internet kraken's levels, i have to say you make good levels. using icicles for a rain effect, everything in the beehive level (one which I was anticipating playing when I got to it eventually but was happy to skip to now), and the foghorn in your awesome boat level are all inspired design choices. there's more but i might go into it more when i have more time.

Well I wasn't trying to get people to play my levels with those comments but thank you.

The foghorn is a little thing that a lot of people have mentioned enjoying. I wanna try to incorporate more little sound moments like that into levels but its surprisingly hard to think of appropriate places for them.

Ignite Memories posted:

I have a level that's in first-draft phase and i'm wondering if anyone can give me some feedback on it. Don't bother leaving likes and stuff, I intend to reupload it at some point with tweaks before I put it on the goon spreadsheet. Anyone interested in taking a look? It's a theme level, so i'm trying to convey a story in addition to having some decent platforming

T7R-1KK-TNF Bring Me Pictures of Spider-Man

Music doesn't work it and it constantly resetting is really annoying. I don't think the aesthetic you're going for here works at all either. If I didn't know it was a city from the title it would never even cross my mind. No idea why you'd use the ground theme for this and not the airship one. Stopped playing after falling into a bunch of spinies and having no way out.

Just didn't feel like playing it more. Its not really fun or interesting and the theme is weak. Probably not good to hear that but I'm being honest here.

Rollersnake posted:

Web Kraken - Prickly Plantation
I forget who said it a while back, or what level it was in reference to, but it's so nice to see a level these days that just gives you a star for the sake of giving you a star, instead of having some purposeful gimmick behind it. Good use of the flying spinies as your primary enemy—hardly anyone seems to use those, and when they do, it's almost always in a clown car shooter level. With the slight branching paths and light puzzle elements while always moving forward, this reminded me a lot of a Genesis Sonic level.

Thank you! And I absolutely agree with you about starmen feeling good to get. There a nice reward for exploration to just you storm through an area and also challenge the player to score a 1-UP with em. I dunno why people never seem to include them.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Aug 1, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ladies! Gentlemen! Goons!

Until Nintendo decides (if they ever do) to allow us to string levels together, there's THIS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaKEe5dUbBQ

New and constantly updated (not by me, I'm just excited about it in general), this allows you to build multiple world maps, which have level codes, and then there are specific item codes you input on a given map that a creator would put near the exit (like 2 donut blocks and a fire flower), which would then unlock the next level to play.

Yes, it's possibly tiresome to do this manually, but it's free and requires zero modding of your game!

I'm looking forward to trying this out whenever I get time.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Ignite Memories posted:

I have a level that's in first-draft phase and i'm wondering if anyone can give me some feedback on it. Don't bother leaving likes and stuff, I intend to reupload it at some point with tweaks before I put it on the goon spreadsheet. Anyone interested in taking a look? It's a theme level, so i'm trying to convey a story in addition to having some decent platforming

T7R-1KK-TNF Bring Me Pictures of Spider-Man

I really want to like this, I love JJJ's office scene, but sometimes the level is just too unforgiving to be fun. I gave up during the Bowser fight because I kept falling off and just barely missing the swings.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Rollersnake posted:

Goombas Working Overtime

Great concept, perfectly executed. I'm not surprised that this is already one of your most popular courses.

J-Spot - Regular Mario Maker
Very good homage to the original Mario Bros, though I felt the sequence of rooms should've maybe been different for a more even difficulty progression—the second room, in particular, feels misplaced. I was also kind of on the fence about whether the level ran a bit too long, or if you placed the second checkpoint too early—I died on Bowser Jr. the first time because I didn't see the note blocks, and then on replays I kept dying a whole bunch to careless mistakes in the goombrat room despite clearing it on my first try. Lakitu room felt like it could've been the boss, but getting through there is a lot faster & simpler after you've done it once. So I dunno.
Thanks for checking these out! Regular Mario Maker was originally a MM1 level that I ported over and changed two of the rooms. In hindsight I probably should have just trimmed those two rooms as it is a bit long and the on/off room I included specifically for multiplayer shenanigans was a waste because hard levels don’t show up in vs mode. The difficulty being all over the place is just a product of me putting ideas down as they came to me. It definitely feels like an early stage but I liked it enough to bring it over to MM2.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I finally picked up this game and played through about 40% of story mode. Some of those levels are very inspired. Some are also surprisingly difficult.

I’m going on vacation next week so I am planning to download a bunch of levels to play on the plane. I can do that, right?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

J-Spot posted:

I imagine it will fall in the 8-12% range when more randos play it which is right on the edge between normal and expert. The hardest part is those two tile gaps you need to squeeze through if you're big Mario which are kind of uncomfortable to pull off.

Thank you for playing! Those two-tile gaps were a happy accident. The super mushrooms were a relatively late addition and I discovered that they actually added to the jump-control challenge in the underground sections, so I added the respawning Buzzy Beetle just before the first two-tile gap; you can go forward with the extra hit point at the expense of some of the jumps being harder, or you can take a deliberate hit and make the platforming easier. (I think there's one two-tile gap in the aboveground section, too, but it's after the point where the player realizes they're difficult as Super Mario so it's not out of nowhere, at least.)

Something another player pointed out to me: in the published level, it's possible to skip the second underground section by using a shell jump; additionally, if you toggle the on/off block at the beginning of the bridge, you can still make the jump, rendering the level unfinishable unless you backtrack and toggle the on-off block again.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ladies! Gentlemen! Goons!

Until Nintendo decides (if they ever do) to allow us to string levels together, there's THIS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaKEe5dUbBQ

New and constantly updated (not by me, I'm just excited about it in general), this allows you to build multiple world maps, which have level codes, and then there are specific item codes you input on a given map that a creator would put near the exit (like 2 donut blocks and a fire flower), which would then unlock the next level to play.

Yes, it's possibly tiresome to do this manually, but it's free and requires zero modding of your game!

I'm looking forward to trying this out whenever I get time.

This is pretty cool! I've wanted a way to make progressive levels and this works well, at least without an in-game solution.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Rollersnake posted:

Thoughts on some goon levels:

Phantasium - Fear the Faces
Loved the idea, fun to look at, but as a whole it felt kinda needlessly crowded and spiky. I'm not sure a checkpoint would've helped, because the only good spot I saw for one was right before the door, and all the hardest bits of the level are before that.

Yeah that was my thinking wrt that checkpoint. I think it's funny that I got a ton of feedback on this level though considering I pretty much made it just because of a funny face I made dicking around and just went hard on trying to make random faces. Nothing but the final bit of the level after the door was planned, it was just me making faces and seeing if there was a throughline and adding big coins to areas that seemed hard to get to.

Internet Kraken posted:

Well I wasn't trying to get people to play my levels with those comments but thank you.

Oh I know but it was as good an excuse as any. I've been wanting to play the bee level since I saw it.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I’m going on vacation next week so I am planning to download a bunch of levels to play on the plane. I can do that, right?

You can, but only 60. Kind of disappointing since I thought I read you could save up to 120 but I ran out of room this past week and started having to make tough choices.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Kazy posted:

I really want to like this, I love JJJ's office scene, but sometimes the level is just too unforgiving to be fun. I gave up during the Bowser fight because I kept falling off and just barely missing the swings.

I was thinking about replacing bowser with BJ which has less health, i think. Definitely going to reposition the swings under the boss fight if it's giving you enough trouble to bail.

Internet Kraken posted:

Music doesn't work it and it constantly resetting is really annoying. I don't think the aesthetic you're going for here works at all either. If I didn't know it was a city from the title it would never even cross my mind. No idea why you'd use the ground theme for this and not the airship one. Stopped playing after falling into a bunch of spinies and having no way out.

Just didn't feel like playing it more. Its not really fun or interesting and the theme is weak. Probably not good to hear that but I'm being honest here.

Yeah, that's a bummer. Do you think reworking the horizontal bits might improve it, or do you think the whole concept is bust?
Not really sure why airship would be an improvement, wouldn't it be a lot more difficult with the camera swinging up and down constantly?

As for the music, i'll reduce it to a single cue when you first put on the beetle helmet (and the boss fight). That's an easy enough fix.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 1, 2019

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

This level made me very mad before bed, good job

I nailed it easily the first time, but when i replayed it I realized that it might be harder than I thought. The first part is nice and casual though!

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
God drat I hate Twisters. Their physics is just annoying, and every time I see a level where they're a central gimmick, I just skip them.

Is there any way to move decorative elements? I'm trying to do an airship level, and I really dislike how placing a ground tile just randomly dumps a bunch of windows everyhwere. Same with above ground things. Wouldn't mind moving those lamps in SMW style somewhere.

Oh, also, I've never done music within a level. How do you do it so it's not broken? I have a little boss room through a pipe. Do I need to set the music sfx on a pipe or on a boss? And if I want to torment people with Slider playing through the whole level, should I just drop it at a starting point, attach it to Mario, or something else?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Yeah, pick up the ground tile that they're attached to and you can move it around or delete it

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

You can also copy the tile which copies the decoration to make as many as you want.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Vookatos posted:

Oh, also, I've never done music within a level. How do you do it so it's not broken? I have a little boss room through a pipe. Do I need to set the music sfx on a pipe or on a boss? And if I want to torment people with Slider playing through the whole level, should I just drop it at a starting point, attach it to Mario, or something else?

Attach it to Mario for it to play for the full level. Attach it to the boss if you just want it to play while he is around.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Rollersnake posted:

Doomykins - Snow Flurry Fields
Very pretty level, and I loved how it just totally has the rhythm of a Mario 1 stage, down to the placement of the powerups, and a bonus room accessible through a pipe exactly at the point where it felt like it should have been. The slowness of the blue pipes made a piranha plant or two more dangerous/surprising than you probably intended them to be, but that's a very minor complaint.

Doomykins - Tinker Tower
Fun, challenging, a couple neat branching paths, very cohesive design. My one complaint is that the spiny shell seemed like an odd choice for an out of the way optional power-up, since I didn't see any place where you really get to put it to use, and it prevents you from getting the ? blocks in the last room. Following you because I can already tell you a have a gift for making stages that feel like they belong in official Mario games.

Thanks for the plays and the feedback! In Tinker Tower the spiny shell was something I added near the end of a single day crafting when I was probably losing steam, as I set it there as a reward with an idea for a thwomp section in mind and then didn't add it. Oops. It ends up being not much more than an extra hit for the last bit. It was meant to mimic the Shovel Knight style of level where off the path exploration gets you a big significant functionality upgrade in the form of a relic. I think the homage style of level went well and plan to try another this weekend. I have already gotten a comment about "how it's weird I didn't mention this is based on a Shovel Knight stage." :shobon: I put hints in the stage name and summary, I only get 75 characters.

Snow Flurry is probably my favorite level, I feel like I nailed the idea and execution without a major stumble. And thanks for the follow and kind words.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Good morning all! I'm going to have to pump and dump whether or not people like it, because I just haven't had the opportunity to post much in the thread lately due to life happening. I post much more frequently in the Discord where people can actually get to know me and the reasons behind why playing levels often gives me anxiety, but I have and will do it,I just don't usually post about it in the thread when I do. #sorrynotsorry If that makes me a lovely addition to the community here, I mean, I don't know what to tell you. I'm not going to stop making levels.

I love this game and I love especially the community among the SA thread and Discord. I really enjoy joining in streams, which is often the way I vicariously play levels. I'm just not good enough at Mario to throw myself over and over at most levels (and it is over and over and over as the Discord can attest) and it often ruins my enjoyment of the game. It's not fun to sit there and die over and over. I'm sorry. It's not. If there were some guaranteed difficulty progression through this game aside from Story Mode, I would be all for that, but user levels don't work that way. I try to find levels I can complete, but there really aren't a lot of them. In the end, I just end up dragging clear rates down and getting frustrated. That's not fun for anybody.

That said, here is a level I made, if it bothers you that I don't play more levels, you don't have to check it out. If you're still with me after this essay, then thank you.

This level isn't the most creative, but it's meant to be humorous. If you'd like to see a Twitch clip of a goon playing an earlier version of it and being hilarious, here's a link to that: https://clips.twitch.tv/PatientTemperedGuanacoArsonNoSexy
That clip does contain spoilers for the end of the level, however.

I'd enjoy feedback on that level if you're still with me. I'm trying to make it stand out among the sea of similar levels.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Climb Vines, Duck Bills: Good traditional level. One complaint is that I walked straight into a pit because the vines touching the bottom of the screen created the illusion of ground. Judging by the Xs, lots of other people make that mistake. The checkpoint was right there so it wasn't a huge deal but things like that are something to keep in mind to avoid what will feel like a cheap death.

Yeah between the green vines, the green ground, and the green hill in the background aligning right there, it sucks. That section had a semisolid-platform BG for a while but the contrast wasn't high enough either. The obvious fix would be to raise the vines up a square but I think I probably didn't do that because the bills would trap you instead.

Thanks for playing tho!

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

The Lobster posted:

That said, here is a level I made, if it bothers you that I don't play more levels, you don't have to check it out. If you're still with me after this essay, then thank you.

This level isn't the most creative, but it's meant to be humorous. If you'd like to see a Twitch clip of a goon playing an earlier version of it and being hilarious, here's a link to that: https://clips.twitch.tv/PatientTemperedGuanacoArsonNoSexy
That clip does contain spoilers for the end of the level, however.

I'd enjoy feedback on that level if you're still with me. I'm trying to make it stand out among the sea of similar levels.

This was cute! (I admit that I died on my first run because I accidentally chucked the P-block into the void.)

Now do a Jonathan Blow level where it's the same but in reverse and the goomba is taking away all the stuff that lets you progress

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames
is there like a repository of mechanics/inspiration/design elements online somewhere? im trying to get some ideas but i dont have my switch with me atm

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Programming reminder! I'll be streaming goon levels tonight at 7 PM PDT/10 PM EDT. Based upon the discussion in this thread I think I'll select 20 or so of the most/more recently posted levels here to play. I will also take level requests after I'm done as well (the plan is to stream for 2-3 hours tonight.)

https://www.twitch.tv/onemoretimegfsn

EDIT: Here's the level list so far. If you see your level and the code is incorrect/misattributed to the wrong person, please let me know!

1.Global Warming!
By: Adept Nightingale
NW0-QGJ-XVF

2. Breaking Barriers
By:Sam Faust
B4P-5X8-XVF

3. Magikoopa's Castle
By:DorianGravy
XPM-VN5-CTF

4. New Power-up Gauntlet
By: totempoleman
2DM-KQH-RVG

5. A Detour Underground
By: Schmeichy
VXM-86F-5HF

6. Bounce House Mouse Trounce
By: Plebian Parasite
2B4-4C3-08G

7. Mystery Cave
By: END CHEMTRAILS NOW
D9H-5VW-JNG

8. Just Desert
By: Gnome Enthusiast
YD2-N67-42G

9. Piranha Pit
By: Adept Nightingale
01D-L13-DXG

10. Mario's Mushroom Factory
By: ThisIsACoolGuy
D1H-3LD-G2G

11. World 5-Somthing
By: Ziddar
DY5-WQR-KNG

12. Goombas Working OVertime
By: J-Spot
66C-MXR-FGF

13. Hudson Bay
By: Canned Panda
KT2-9C6-FGG

14. Boiling Backup
By: Suspicious Cook
4HJ-7JF-CBG

15. Mass Blast
By: Movie Majick
QXX-02N-SDG

16. Bowser's Discount Rockets
By: Too Shy Guy
LXY-LTW-XHG

17. Four a Change
By: Rollersnake
NHQ-D05-9LG

18. unknown name
By: Jothan
XC6-DPJ-QWG

19. unknown name
By: Huxley
D34-507-4HF

20. Grass Pass
By: Pixeltendo
VG0-J70-CBG

21. Mega Action Robot: M.A.R.I.O.
By: Last Visible Dog
CN5-K4D-9MF

22. Single-Player Verses
By: Besesoth
9W1-585-S5G

23. Maustrials no. 4
By: Spellman
0H7-QVF-W0G

24. Cardboard Castle
By: Plebian Parasite
HDV-BLN-MPF

25. The Mushroom Triathlon!
By: Gandor
KYG-GC2-HLF

26. A Moral Dilemma
By: The Lobster
M4W-MPV-80G

OneMoreTime fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 1, 2019

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Live Free posted:

is there like a repository of mechanics/inspiration/design elements online somewhere? im trying to get some ideas but i dont have my switch with me atm

It's not quite a repository, but Random Acts of Mario has an idea generator that provides mini-blitzes - it gives you a game theme (SMB, SMB3, etc.), level theme (Standard, Ghost House, etc.), two blocks that should feature prominently, and then two each of structure blocks, items, gizmos, and enemies. It's good for thinking creatively about building a level. For instance, if you're given:

Super Mario 2D World
Ghost House
Featured:
* Ant Trooper
* Bulls-Eye Banzai Bill
Structure:
* Hard Block
* Semi-Solid Platform
Items:
* Hammer
* Starman
Gizmos:
* Checkpoint
* Red POW Block
Enemies:
* Stingby (the bee dudes)
* Peepa (the ghost that moves in circles)

how can you fit those together into a coherent level that's fun to play?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Made a new one; what I'm aiming for (and I hope I communicated this through the level itself) is to either collect all the small coins without "alerting" security, or just take the 3 big ones, which will set off all sorts of things and necessitate a daring escape. The former should be slower but easier, while the latter would more or less require you to keep moving, with few spots of downtime.

Edit: Revised the level, new code is YM4-KF6-DLG

Argue fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 2, 2019

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Inspiration struck and I have half of my Jam level complete now. It has a similar thing going on to my very first level Butt Stomp Sprint, so I might just end up deleting that one since it was my first MM2 course and it has a lot of level design problems I've gotten better at.

NofrikinfuN posted:

I finally played this myself and it turns out the slide music puts me on tilt and I had to unplug my headphones to finish.

Good level though! My only complaint is that 3D world wall jumps get extremely weird when you are moving fast, like it hesitates to grab a wall? I really like how you manage to make each jump feel like it flows together, it doesn't feel jerky at any point. That flow makes it feel less like autoscroll and more like you are just attempting a speed run.

Also I screwed up your joke number, 5/21 isn't funny at all.

Thanks! Wall jumping can feel kind of weird because you have to hold toward the wall even when you go to jump, which is kind of weird. I'm glad it doesn't feel janky! The first version had a bunch of jank.

Plebian Parasite posted:

Macaluso - Spooky Sprint - D9K-NML-FJF
The fast autoscroll really makes it clear how weird SM3DW running is. Coin indicators were on point, got through the final section in one go, I remember you saying you had problems getting it just right. Set the WR.

Yeah this version is 2.0, I changed up several things including coin placements to make things more clear, and the entire last section was changed to two plants instead of four, with two platforms in the center instead. It also used to have clear pipes.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Argue posted:

Made a new one; what I'm aiming for (and I hope I communicated this through the level itself) is to either collect all the small coins without "alerting" security, or just take the 3 big ones, which will set off all sorts of things and necessitate a daring escape. The former should be slower but easier, while the latter would more or less require you to keep moving, with few spots of downtime.

Jeez, security is tough even when you don't go for the quick score. If I had one suggestion, it would be to add slightly more coins or decrease the number necessary (no more than 5 either way); between fleeing one Boo-with-a-Thwomp on the left and seeing a new Boo-with-a-Thwomp on the right, it's easy to miss that the question block after the Magikoopa segment has ten coins in it, which means that if you miss any coins in the rest of the level you have to backtrack all the way through to find them.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Besesoth posted:

Jeez, security is tough even when you don't go for the quick score. If I had one suggestion, it would be to add slightly more coins or decrease the number necessary (no more than 5 either way); between fleeing one Boo-with-a-Thwomp on the left and seeing a new Boo-with-a-Thwomp on the right, it's easy to miss that the question block after the Magikoopa segment has ten coins in it, which means that if you miss any coins in the rest of the level you have to backtrack all the way through to find them.

Sure, that sounds reasonable! I'll do that first thing tomorrow before starting on a new level.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

50 Bones (Budget Cuts jam)
PY9-2DH-6JF

Bowser's budget has collapsed, and it's time for you to collect on his debts! Super players will snag 100 coins, but make sure you at least grab all the big ones!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ignite Memories posted:

Yeah, that's a bummer. Do you think reworking the horizontal bits might improve it, or do you think the whole concept is bust?
Not really sure why airship would be an improvement, wouldn't it be a lot more difficult with the camera swinging up and down constantly?

As for the music, i'll reduce it to a single cue when you first put on the beetle helmet (and the boss fight). That's an easy enough fix.

Honestly gameplay wise the level might be fine. I just really wasn't feeling invested in it enough to replay it after falling into what is essentially a death pit.

The reason I recommended the airship theme is because levels like this live and die based on how well they pull off their theme. The ground theme in Super Mario World looks nothing like a city. It doesn't feel like a city, no matter how creative you get with it. The theme just isn't working well. The airship theme looks a lot more indsutrial and has decoration like lamposts you can use to pull off a city aesthetic much better. The subplatforms can also be used to simulate building interiors and exteriors much better than what is available in the ground theme.

The camera swing is annoying sometimes and you might have to tweak parts of the level based on that, but I think it'd sell your theme a lot better.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I'm playing viewer levels right here:
https://www.twitch.tv/pizza_skeleton

When without, I'll be rolling the dice on Random Acts of Mario.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

emgeejay posted:

50 Bones (Budget Cuts jam)
PY9-2DH-6JF

Bowser's budget has collapsed, and it's time for you to collect on his debts! Super players will snag 100 coins, but make sure you at least grab all the big ones!

Nice easy romp which is the perfect for a clear condition level. Apologies if I tanked your clear rate trying to speed run it.

Argue posted:

I went for the harder mode after initially reaching the goal without enough coins. The ensuing enemy/bullet spam is fairly difficult to manage but I think the level is just short enough to get away with it.

Plebian Parasite posted:

Here's my jam entry for this week, bit shorter and easier than my usual fare, but hopefully someone enjoys it.

Cardboard Castle - HDV BLN MPF
Cool idea with a nice original challenge in the sub world. Can't believe the clear rate is only 7%.

Gandor posted:

KYG-GC2-HLF The Mushroom Triathlon!: Finally, a level that I struggled to complete for upload. And it was so much fun that I at one point forgot it was even my level! I hope others will enjoy it as well.

I like the idea and the first section. I think the underground part would be challenging enough without the erratic chain chomps that can phase through the wall and kill you.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

OneMoreTime posted:

23. Maustrials no. 4
By: Spellman
0H7-QVF-W0G

Well now I'll have to swing by

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Jellymouth - Shroom City Skyline - 814-5ST-JYG
Looks good, plays good. Skyline levels are cool (I have one myself) and you certainly got the optimal density of projectiles down to make it exciting without being overwhelming. Even the multiple hammer bros felt dialed to the right amount. The powerups certainly helped.

Reverend Stupid - Zelda 2: The Town of Ruto - 2DK-2HR-90H
I thought this was gonna be a cute little pure recreation til I saw the clear rate. It actually wasn't that bad and still pretty cute. I guess I'm not too familiar with Zelda 2, is the town really that big and populated with monsters?

Girl Drink Drunk - Dry Shell Invulnerability Test - 0YV-NL5-PKG
This is my kinda difficulty, clever and challenging. The Bowser bit felt a little silly but it was a solid obstacle. The two thwomp section had a lot going on but it was luckily pretty short, good job telegraphing with the one way tiles as well.

Suspicious Cook - Boos in the Belfry - DF3-LVL-DMG
Excellent standard style level. Several good 'Wow' moments. My only point of criticism might be that the chase section is a better 'boss' fight than the actual boss fight, if you ended it right there, it probably wouldn't have suffered any. The boss fight itself isn't bad, its just the chase is so much cooler.

Rather Watch Them - Fast Fuses - JBD-GFF-RYF
Clever, kinda feels like a proof of concept, the idea is introduced but it doesn't get too complex. Still pretty cool though. Snake blocks be tricky.

Argue - Sky Pirates in the Sky! - 2XC-WH5-DHG
I liked that you had to defend the platforms as well as yourself, a lot of split second decision making. I'm glad the star was there to keep it from getting too hectic. I beat it in one but I'm kinda surprised I did.

Rather Watch Them - TimePod 2: Gravity of the Stitch - 8KL-2R2-GCG
I never played the first one but this was ok, flipping the level upside down was neat but with something as stark as the ghost house its hard to really distinguish the two. I guess it'd be difficult no matter the theme since you can't really flip assets upside down. Anyway, pretty sure i got the good end, managed to hit the button up top. My biggest gripe was the pre boss prep room was not a prep room and you had to duck the bills all the time just for the opportunity to grab the key and a power up, it wasn't challenging it was just irritating.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Someone featured one of my levels (Desert Gold) in an article. I legit was never expecting that to happen. I know a couple of other goons have appeared in articles too. I wonder what catches people's eye enough to do that? This course was one of my two that went Popular earlier this week.

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/man-vs-mario-maker-2-07-31-2019

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Plebian Parasite posted:

Reverend Stupid - Zelda 2: The Town of Ruto - 2DK-2HR-90H
I thought this was gonna be a cute little pure recreation til I saw the clear rate. It actually wasn't that bad and still pretty cute. I guess I'm not too familiar with Zelda 2, is the town really that big and populated with monsters?

it is a feature of some of the zelda 2 towns that the townspeople randomly turn into monsters and attack when you talk to them, so yes

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Wherever I go I must do the Mario. Also Snake I went back to In Too Deep and tried out a Donut Block, that's a good use of effect!

Rusting Rotted Shroomworks
7JR-74F-7QF

By: Internet Kraken

Great theme and execution, one of the better longer stages. Some of the low hanging rotten shrooms near the end are on the irritating end of hitbox dodginess.

Just Touch 150 Coins!!
XC6-DPJ-QWG

By: Jothan

Great puzzle stage! Clever use of mechanics, a lot of it looks tight but is consistently doable.

See the Saws
GVL-H6F-T8G

By: Cheetah7071

A good technical stage but I found that I don't personally like seesaws that much.

Contra!?
8GW-WXQ-WBG

By: Spikey

Not Found!

There is no ginger ale
WBK-80R-SFG

By: Overbite

A good weird stage in the SMB3 style.

Koopin' Donuts
XDL-694-CBG

By: Ziddar

A nice easy auto-scroller. Would be at home in Worlds 1 or 2 of a Mario game.

SMV 3-1: Koopa Beach II
LWB-HGY-Y1H

By: DarkLich

Another good classic Mario stage! Would be at home in World 3 of a Mario game!

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Spellman posted:

Well now I'll have to swing by

I saw the description and I became pretty excited!

I’ll be playing the stages in order so you might want to show up a little later if you just want to catch your level, or stick around because we usually have a pretty cool group in chat! I’ll also do my best to timestamp each level so people can find where their levels are later.

Maxxim
Mar 10, 2007

You're overcome by an indescribably odd sensation...!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also worth noting is that how the heck did you make the jump in Classic Canyon? I tried it a handful of times and thought that I had it just out of reach so I'm kinda shocked.

:c00l:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX7EbVFhtIc

Played through your levels and wrote down whatever thoughts I had. I intentionally didn't read your notes before hand, so that's the reason why it looks like I just ignored the rest of your post. I figured the feedback would be a little more pure that way. I did see that you mentioned "easy-skip" issue so I noted any shortcuts I found. I would probably leave them in, but figured they were worth mentioning.

2 ways to win
Feels a bit crowded while at the same time there’s not an excessive amount of things going on. I think it’s because you generally used one tile blocks and didn’t fill in extra space. I think it would’ve looked better had you filled in the empty out of bounds space:

In the very first screen, a scroll stop would’ve made it look nicer. Run a line of dirt blocks (or hard blocks) top to bottom with no gaps and the screen won’t scroll past it when you run to the edge. I forgot to look at the upload date, so I have no idea how old this is now.

I like what you did with the one-checkpoint-per-side, though the blue checkpoint seems a bit early in comparison.

Saws and shooter Daves
Haven’t played too many levels yet so I don’t know what sort of difficulty you’re aiming for, but the platform section (platform+muncher as well as the falling platforms+saws) was definitely expert level difficulty. The first area felt more normal-like so it was quite a step up.

Speedrun strat: bring a shell from the first room and kick it into the on/off switch as you exit the pipe.

Frantic folly
Okay forget what I said about not knowing what difficulty you’re aiming for. The opening section is definitely expert territory. Things were cramped with more enemies than I would’ve liked, lots of waiting around for the correct opportunity.

Speedrun strat: damage boost through the saws using the helmet or a mushroom kept from earlier.

Find the fireflower!
Good enough concept with the hint block, though the clock is hidden a bit behind the semi solid so it isn’t as explicit as I think you wanted it to be. I found the block and then went “oh I bet the hint specifies this”.

Twin mountainsides
Liked the twin decoration here, nicely done. Involved way too much waiting for my taste, I just wanna go fast.

Speedrun strat: keep the mushroom from the first area and spin through the turn blocks in the second room.

Bone stew, just add you!
Felt pretty bare, was almost just a series of bounces. The level was pretty straightforward.

Mushroom triathlon
First section was pretty good, though you can jump over the breakable bricks to skip two switch hits. It wasn’t super clear that I was supposed to jump down to grab the mushroom, I missed it the very first time.

Wasn’t a huge fan of the section section, had a few personal opinion problems with it:
* not really a fan of “wrong” on/off blocks, if it’s in a section I prefer if you need to hit it
* the bottom section feels like it should be done at a running pace, but the top section seems like it was intended to be done slowly. This wasn’t super clear to me, and lead to unnecessary running deaths on the top route.
* the whole section turned out to have a lot more leeway than I thought. I waited at the end for 20 seconds before the mushroom made it. Would’ve much preferred the track blocked off your exit if you’re too slow so you don’t have to wait
* chomps were pretty rude at the end, though they didn’t get me.

Third section was too quick, but without a checkpoint there it is a good length. Didn’t really feel like much of a finale.

Despite all those words I liked the level overall. The high difficulty was a good kind of high difficulty.

Overall: I liked your levels. You definitely lean more towards form over function, the twin mountain level was the only one (decoration wise) that stood out to me. Most (if not all...?) of your levels are too difficult for the general mario maker population. This isn’t really a bad thing, as long as that’s your intention and/or you’re fine with it.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

thedragonfeeney is playing J-Spots Perilous Parkour Palace on Twitch

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

NofrikinfuN posted:

thedragonfeeney is playing J-Spots Perilous Parkour Palace on Twitch

I can retire now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

J-Spot posted:

I can retire now.

lol I tuned in as she was queueing it up and thought "I swear I've seen that title" when I caught your profile off to the side. Looks like you were at #1 there!