Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Peanut! posted:

I beat the Mantis Lords! Good lord, that was probably intended to be the first "git gud" moment out of many, I'm sure.

Any tips on where to go next? I've opened up Deepnest but I feel like there's a new area that's available now that I've got the groundpound fist.

Congrats! I really liked that fight. I'd recommend poking around the eastern part of the forgotten crossroads, but exploring Deepnest for a bit wouldn't hurt if you feel like you can handle it.

Arrhythmia posted:

Basically base game and DLC, yeah. Good luck with some of that DLC though.

Thanks. We'll see how well I can do!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Peanut! posted:

I beat the Mantis Lords! Good lord, that was probably intended to be the first "git gud" moment out of many, I'm sure.

Any tips on where to go next? I've opened up Deepnest but I feel like there's a new area that's available now that I've got the groundpound fist.

Good job. Yeah, Manits Lords are indeed pretty tough for early on.

You can go into Deepnest and its fun to do things in different order than other people, but in case you didn't already get that impression, Deepnest is pretty rough.

The groundpound opens some new paths for sure. Direction: Have you gone east from the crossroads?

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Zack Ater posted:

I saw somewhere (in the achievements, I think?) that there's above 100% completion. Is that just completely finishing all of the base game and DLC, or is there some super hidden optional stuff?

You need full upgrades, full charms, 2400 essence, all Colosseum trials, most non-dream bosses, all warrior grave fights, complete the Grimm dlc content, and the first 4 pantheons in Godhome. The total is 112%. Interestingly, the final bosses dont count for it, nor the final boss of the Godmaster dlc. (But you need to get an ending to get the completion % recorded)

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Aug 1, 2019

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Gully Foyle posted:

You need ... the first 4 pantheons in Godhome.

Hmm, I thought you needed all of them, and now that I know you don't I find myself considering going for P4, which has two of my least favorite fights in the game. Goddammit. Maybe Watcher Knights isn't as bad as I remember?

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

I had a lot of trouble with that fight when I did it a couple of days ago. Oof.

Can there be more than two out at once?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Glare Seethe posted:

Hmm, I thought you needed all of them, and now that I know you don't I find myself considering going for P4, which has two of my least favorite fights in the game. Goddammit. Maybe Watcher Knights isn't as bad as I remember?
It's not, especially with longnail + mark of pride.

Definitely start a godmaster save and get pure vessel down beforehand though.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Zack Ater posted:

Can there be more than two out at once?

I just tried it a few times and I'm pretty sure the answer is no, mercifully.

No Wave posted:

It's not, especially with longnail + mark of pride.

From giving it three minutes just now I think you may be right, and at least there's enough downtime for healing. I did have a ton of trouble with it during my actual playthrough, though, I remember that and Lost Kin to be the most infuriating ones.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

They were the hardest boss for me besides NKG, I tried them recently for the first time in a year and i murdered them. Guess those last few upgrades mattered. I basically just pogo'd and pride+longnail give so much room that I had enough time to beat their vertical hop.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

No Wave posted:

They were the hardest boss for me besides NKG, I tried them recently for the first time in a year and i murdered them. Guess those last few upgrades mattered.

lol are you comparing vanilla mantis lords to NKG?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

we're talking about watcher knights.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Watcher knights are fragile as hell once you're in the Godhome. If you stay super aggressive with them they go down super fast. I usually only ended up fighting one at a time.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

No Wave posted:

we're talking about watcher knights.

Lol whoops yeah somehow missed some posts

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Meanwhile I strolled into pantheon 4 for the first time and immediately got smashed by Lost Kin, so I guess some bosses late game are harder than others.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

lost kin is a pretty late game boss tbf. Watcher Knights is by far the earliest game boss in that whole pantheon (which made me feel a bit vindicated for struggling so hard during my play through).

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

nrook posted:

Meanwhile I strolled into pantheon 4 for the first time and immediately got smashed by Lost Kin, so I guess some bosses late game are harder than others.

After you've gotten to the point where you can beat Pure Vessel on Attuned, the rest of the bosses just feel insanely slow.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

the trick to watcher knights is to equip shaman stone and just go ham with spells

(dreamweaver helps so you can get extra soul off the guys spawning in)

at least in the base game. idk whats around them in godhome, not that far in yet.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Yeah the watcher knights are mainly a dps race. If you've upgraded your nail or got a good casting layout you can easily murder them, but if you kill too slow they'll overwhelm you. It's like the four kings bossfight in dark souls.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Peanut! posted:

Do you remember stumbling on an area near the very beginning of the game that was resoundingly purple, that seemed like a really obvious "this isn't a dead end, come back later" part? Yeah, go there.

or

Go back to where you came from. You can climb vertical surfaces now, remember?

or

Do you have a spare key? Take it to CoT and have a poke around.

or

As you said, Deepnest. Although I would personally do either of the above before going there but if you like, going to Deepnest early can be viewed as voluntarily playing the game on a harder difficulty for a while, if that's your jam. It's perfectly do-able.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Not counting DLC, I've defeated every boss I've yet found*, I've freed all of the grubs, I've found every charm CORRECTION: one of them is half a charm, I... have not yet delivered a flower :v: but that's besides the point! I need more essence! So I figured this would be a good time for some rematches :black101:

Oof

Is there a recommended order for these :v:

*other than what I'm doing now, of course

Update: beat Failed Champion, that was a lot of essence! I'm still curious as to whether there's an order of difficulty of these.

But that's for a bit later, I'm now in the White Palace. Oh boy. At least I enjoy this type of challenge!

Telum fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 3, 2019

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Zack Ater posted:

Not counting DLC, I've defeated every boss I've yet found*, I've freed all of the grubs, I've found every charm CORRECTION: one of them is half a charm, I... have not yet delivered a flower :v: but that's besides the point! I need more essence! So I figured this would be a good time for some rematches :black101:

Oof

Is there a recommended order for these :v:

*other than what I'm doing now, of course

Update: beat Failed Champion, that was a lot of essence! I'm still curious as to whether there's an order of difficulty of these.

But that's for a bit later, I'm now in the White Palace. Oh boy. At least I enjoy this type of challenge!

The one you beat is probably one of the hardest, to be honest.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

SkeletonHero posted:

The one you beat is probably one of the hardest, to be honest.

That's good to know! Are there others besides Failed Champion, Lost Kin, and Soul Tyrant? I'm trying to go back and double check everywhere but it's kind of a huge game :v:

I've fought Grey Prince Zote and have all four candles lit, though it seems like I can keep fighting? Is there any point to doing so? Also does he never shut up now?

I've unlocked NKG. I'll uh come back again later...

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Zack Ater posted:

That's good to know! Are there others besides Failed Champion, Lost Kin, and Soul Tyrant? I'm trying to go back and double check everywhere but it's kind of a huge game :v:

I've fought Grey Prince Zote and have all four candles lit, though it seems like I can keep fighting? Is there any point to doing so? Also does he never shut up now?

I've unlocked NKG. I'll uh come back again later...

There's a secret room where you fought Dung Defender.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Arrhythmia posted:

Thank you! Another one bites the dust :black101:

I really did start with the most difficult one didn't I :v:

E: I am a Fool! Whew. 105% so far.

Telum fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 3, 2019

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Arrhythmia posted:

This is, like, the one secret that bothers me in this game, as there's no visual indicator for it.
They were so great at telegraphing everything else.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

wyoming posted:

This is, like, the one secret that bothers me in this game, as there's no visual indicator for it.
They were so great at telegraphing everything else.

I feel like most of the dlc is overly well hidden. I don't think I would have found the grimm troupe or Godhome if I was playing blind.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I like Godhome because I just stumble across it in my playthroughs, I’d have probably never figured out Grimm Troupe on my own.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I was so close to finding Grimm Troupe on my own. I swear I swung at the brazier after I dream nailed the corpse and it didn't seem to hit it or anything.

Godhome... I'd like to think I'd have found it anyway (I hadn't explored much near that bench yet, so I imagine I'd have explored the room at some point and found my way there) but I really don't know.

I absolutely would not have found the room near dung defender if it wasn't pointed out. It does sound hollow when you hit the ground in the right spot with your nail, which is how I figured out where it was, but I wouldn't ever have been hitting the ground there in the first place on my own.

E: The Hive area is DLC, right? You can figure it out (I found the one stand-alone room a little later on, which clued me in to stuff being there, and figured it out from enemy placement) but it's sure hidden well, too.

Telum fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 3, 2019

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Hive is vanilla, though it didn’t always have a boss.

Peanut!
May 12, 2019
I beat a lil dude who looked like me! And got the double jump!

And now everything is orange and exploding! I assume this is not a good thing. Was I supposed to do that? Haven't met any of the Dreamers yet.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Peanut! posted:

I beat a lil dude who looked like me! And got the double jump!

And now everything is orange and exploding! I assume this is not a good thing. Was I supposed to do that? Haven't met any of the Dreamers yet.

Yeah, that's supposed to happen. No it's not good. No, there was nothing you could do to prevent this.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, don't worry. it's a thing that triggers no matter what. i know in games like this some people worry that they missed an event flag or something which made some sort of 'bad' result happen but that particular change happens no matter what once you achieve one of a handful of things.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Demystification spoiler: The Crossroads get infected once you either get the double jump (maybe defeat Broken Vessel, not sure which is the trigger) or kill one of the Dreamers.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I watched a “no major glitches, true ending run” of HK yesterday by Vysualz and it was bonkers. Some of his boss takedowns were so blisteringly quick and perfect, and he only died once (queen’s Garden). It was completely amazing and I’m copying all his boss strays from now on.

He beat it in less than 90 minutes.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

How does bloodstained compare to this game? I watched the quick look and was unimpressed, the animation looks rubbish and the bit they were in (with the big cogs) looked a bit janky to me, as though the foreground and background graphics were done in slightly different styles that clashed together.

But then I read a couple of reviews and they all say really good things that make me want to play it. Thoughts?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Same genre, opposite playstyles. HK is a cautious game where you have limited offensive choices, healing is a dangerous prospect, and even the weakest monsters still deal substantial damage because you're kinda fragile.

Bloodstained is like Symphony of the Night at its best and worst, so you're making GBS threads lightning bolts in every direction while stabbing fools with a weird rapier you stabbed out of a dragon and if those don't kill your enemies the swarm of bats you summoned will.

And then, if someone manages to punch through your fancy armour and do significant damage to your 400 HP you can just pause and eat the stack of pizzas you found in a treasure chest.

It is noticeably janky on all systems, and extra janky on Switch, so that's up to your jank resistance.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Yeah, naah, think I'll wait for Silksong. I have celeste on switch but made the mistake of trying to play it immediately after putting Hollow Knight down, so that it clashed with all the muscle memory I'd built up over the weeks. Now that HK is sufficiently forgotten I can probably get back to climbing the mountain with a little more success, it can tide me over.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
What really hosed with me was that I was playing Spelunkey for the first time when I was also first trying HK, and the controls/combat in the former made me feel like a god drat god in the latter.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Cactus posted:

Yeah, naah, think I'll wait for Silksong. I have celeste on switch but made the mistake of trying to play it immediately after putting Hollow Knight down, so that it clashed with all the muscle memory I'd built up over the weeks. Now that HK is sufficiently forgotten I can probably get back to climbing the mountain with a little more success, it can tide me over.

Celeste is legitimately great. Definitely give it another shot.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Here's the Speedrun i watched:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wkfvuOS_4g

I have 2 questions:
1) About how much damage does the unbrekaable damage charm give you?
2) what are you favorite current patch ways to farm 10K Geo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Bust Rodd posted:

I have 2 questions:
1) About how much damage does the unbrekaable damage charm give you?
2) what are you favorite current patch ways to farm 10K Geo?

1. 50% additional damage over base, same as the fragile version.

Nail damage scales from 5 to 9 to 13 to 17 as you upgrade it. Not sure how the game handles rounding.

2. I had a different suggestion here but in retrospect it's stupid / slow, just do the Trial of the Conqueror (the second one) over and over. It takes about 5 minutes and nets you 2k geo.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 4, 2019