Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 36 minutes!
Fun Shoe
Here's a textbook takedown, cuffing, and getting the guy up. Passenger officer only has his knee on the guy's back because no one else is there to help him secure the left arm, and he only keeps his knee there for a few seconds, just enough to get him in cuffs. Then he got him up. Though that guy wasn't really resisting anymore, it's a good example of what should be done.

https://youtu.be/BfOVLADHe7s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Posters like Professor Bling continually argue that because bad cops exist (and all cops are bad) people who actually give a drat, love their communities, and aren't racist, should cede control of law enforcement entirely over to nazis and the nazi-adjacent, because somehow that will make the world a better place. It's the same type of tankie-accelerationist logic that has people voting for Trump because it will: 1. destroy the current system 2. ??? 3. Survivors climb from the rumble and establish a utopia.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Probation
Fun Shoe

Melthir posted:

Your cherry picking here dude. I covered that just a bit later. You are responsible only as far as sending it up the chain to you supervisor, the IG or IA. Unless they are your subordinate you are literally not responsible for them. I'm not responsible if some loving rear end clown decides to go hands on with someone over failure to show identification. I know 100% our supervisor would gently caress his world up. The only people I have to worry about are me and my guys. And funny thing is that they all have a similar mindset as I do. Do the job don't harass people. Dont go hands on if their is another option. Talking is key.

All these ACAB people don't seem to realize that for a majority if cops, if we can avoid massive amounts of paperwork, or having to go to court, or deal with processing an arrest, we'll do it because it makes our lives and jobs easier. At least in my department, if we can just deescalate a situation, we'll do it. No one wants the potential of an on the job injury or having to to before a grand jury or deal with IA, so if we don't have to wrestle or roll around with a guy or use any kind of force, and we can just talk to him or her like a human being, we'll try that. We always start off at a 1 on the "'Being Nice and Just Talking' to 'Go Time'(10)" scale unless the person is already violent. Saves aggravation, sweat, blood, and paperwork, and maybe the guy won't think all cops are assholes after the interaction.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 1, 2019

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Probation
Fun Shoe
Everybody likes Sovereign Citizen videos, right?

https://youtu.be/2zuDe-4aH-s

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Professor Bling, is there any reply from one of the few cops here beyond “Golly Gee, you’re right, I’ll suck start my service weapon before the end of my shift!” that would satisfy you, or what? It’s one thing to be rightfully and seriously skeptical about policing in the US because there’s a ton of hosed up and reprehensible poo poo that happens, but your response to anyone else is just the same ACAB shtick. Is there anything else that could actually change your mind?

Hey, Professor Bling, I think you missed this post. Answer the question.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

McNally posted:

Hey, Professor Bling, I think you missed this post. Answer the question.

Sure. I'll take my time and write out something reasoned since I'm falling back into angry yelling again.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Also gently caress any police union I'm aware of with an AIDS dick, police unions ought to be loving abolished and replaced with like a wider-net public safety union that's going to focus on actually ensuring cops get good training and pay rather than "MAGA 2020" and protect lovely officers.

Ironically, and probably in only my case, my short time as a cop probably started me down the path of more left leaning ideas, seeing how common racism was (a lot of white trash assume that any white cop is also racist), seeing how non-evidenced based policing is, how unfair the court system is, and most of all how dangerous right wing extremists were. Sovereign citizen and right wing militia types are by far and away most dangerous cop killers, they shoot cops all the time, I don't think there has been a successful left or black nationalist cop shooting besides the one-off in Dallas since the civil rights era.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 1, 2019

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Bored As gently caress posted:

All these ACAB people don't seem to realize that for a majority if cops, if we can avoid massive amounts of paperwork, or having to go to court, or deal with processing an arrest, we'll do it because it makes our lives and jobs easier. At least in my department, if we can just deescalate a situation, we'll do it.

One of the problems is the inherently classist and racist law/judicial system of the US. It goes beyond cops and has perverse incentives and pernicious outcomes that even the absolute best-meaning cop acts out. When cops choose how or when to de-escalate vs escalate class and race are a huge part of the decision-making cycle. This is true (in the statistical sense) of cops who strive not to be racist and are acting on social pressure or subconscious. It’s also true for cops of color who may well have come from poverty. Cops tend to find more room to give a warning or verbal talking to or ignore it when someone is from the upper class or the right skin tone. I’m not talking about mustache-twirling villain cops. The system is simply set up to gently caress up the poor and the non-white harder by design, and so the Paladin Cop is still going to do some crummy classist/racist stuff, even if in aggregate he/she is a decided net positive for society.

(No, this isn’t ACAB or asking the better cops to quit so the police force is universally made up of lovely racists).

And by no means is this problem unique to cops:

The current admin is using policy and leadership pressure to push the IRS to go after low-income people for stuff like EITC audits rather than pursuing the wealthy. You could catch 100 EITC fraudsters and probably make back less than finding one rich person who honestly fucjed up their taxes, much less intentionally did so.

Military targeting has set up a pile of wickets to jump through to order a kinetic strike in places like Iraq and Afghanistan and Syria, but at the cost of simply assuming a strike that passed those wickets being 100% pure-grade terrorist unless very clearly, and often publicly, demonstrated otherwise.

And Joe Meanswell has been conditioned since day 1 to think people with names like Joe are better suited for the job than people with names like Jasmine or Deshawn.

Does this create a lot more pressure on cops than on the mildly biased big box store manager? Sure, it does. But it should because police and DAs and so on are public servants and have a much more immediate and terrible impact than biased Hiring Manager man.

I understand that the Prof Blings of the world probably are not helping, but rather may galvanize an us v them blue line mentality. But my god do we have a lot of evidence of cops (and often their elected superiors) digging in against reforms. That is where the well-meaning cop who is unconsciously part of the problem here and there can consciously be part of a longer term fix. Personally, I think police telling their superiors they want a better department for public service rather than personal safety/ego is a much better idea than advocating for a cop suck-starting a pistol with a personal apology to Somethingawfuldotcom on their chest.

It’s also in great part a modern-day segregation problem but my thumbs are tired.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I find a job that even cops can do!

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1157287813139828736?s=19

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment

if you need to free the raccoon from its mortal coil, maybe

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Tryzzub posted:

if you need to free the raccoon from its mortal coil, maybe

I was gonna ask if they shot it for resisting. They shot a disability care worker laying on the ground with his hands in the air so you never know

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Bullshit. I never got my head stuck in a sewer grate, and believe me I tried.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Awwww :(

Welp :stare:

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
gently caress, they waterboarded it? Monsters.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

hosed up.

Leaving aside its general ineffectiveness as an information gathering tool, waterboarding is morally repulsive. Someone needs to do time for this.

E: fuuuuck, beaten

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
This seems like a job for a cop.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Username/post combo jfc...

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

The current admin is using policy and leadership pressure to push the IRS to go after low-income people for stuff like EITC audits rather than pursuing the wealthy. You could catch 100 EITC fraudsters and probably make back less than finding one rich person who honestly fucjed up their taxes, much less intentionally did so.

The police suffer from this obvious shortsightedness of priorities too. The police and judicial resources that go to deal with stuff like burglary and shoplifting are waaaay above the time spent investigating and dealing with white collar fraud and wage theft even though those crimes occur on a far larger scale. Is it any wonder that police don't get any respect from the people they are targeting? It's not just because of the prejudices of individual cops (though this plays an enormous role too), but because the system as a whole is designed to protect entrenched capital and power rather than apply justice in anything resembling a fair way.

Even the most evenhanded cop who doesn't have a malicious bone in his body and manages to avoid the taint of the corruption in his department is still going to be responsible for the enforcement priorities of his department that are shaped by a lot more than just public safety/good and reinforce systematic inequalities.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Even the most evenhanded cop who doesn't have a malicious bone in his body and manages to avoid the taint of the corruption in his department is still going to be responsible for the enforcement priorities of his department that are shaped by a lot more than just public safety/good and reinforce systematic inequalities.

Not any more then regular Joe is for repeatedly voting in the fuckheads who give us tasking. The poo poo policing in America is a societal problem. People refuse to pay what a good officer is worth. Refuse to pay for good training and then bitch incessantly about the outcomes when the political parties use LEOs like clubs to try to shape the system in there favor.

Let me put it this way do you know how many people showed up to the last city council meeting that discussed the modernization of the use of force policy we had in place? 4. Do you know how many people showed up to put in their 2 cents on another tattoo parlor opening up? 63.
No one know or cares about any of this poo poo unless it blows up on public media or it happens to them and it's a crying shame.

At the end of the day your average LEO just wants to go home without doing a poo poo ton of useless paperwork after helping some people out. There are people that joined to crack skulls but I've never met one that hasn't been shipped out to where that kind of poo poo is acceptable.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Melthir posted:

Bullshit, thats a loving strawman from hell. You are not responsible for someone else's actions. You are responsible for you. If someone else does something hosed up pass it up the chain. If they choose not to act that's on them. If it's bad enough contact the IG or IA. You do the best you can do every day. I've been doing this gig 16 years now and yeah the assholes get to be a pain but if you don't make a change but can prevent poo poo from getting worse then your doing your community a favor if some idealist gently caress like me wasn't filling this gig they'd likely put some Gomer Pyle gently caress in my spot. Every single day you can make a difference is just whether you going to let this poo poo grind you down or not.

Some days it sucks worse then others, so what that's loving called life. But if by just not being a gently caress up your able to make someone's life better then that's good enough. I'd rather it be me or one of my buddies show up then some tacticool fuckwit who should have never been hired in the first place showing up and using force when there was no reason for it. Just by being a decent human being prevents 90% of the bullshit from kicking off in the first place.

Also generally the guys who get help or talk about the hosed up poo poo and work out generally are not the guys I'm worried about cracking skills. It's the broody fucks who eat like poo poo and keep it all to themselves, it eats at them like cancer.

It's pretty provable.

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2019-08/nu-poe080119.php?fbclid=IwAR3Drm71gkwbU0mgBIvabquuzdFcryaAxOWZ_DB84Ae6KNiE3wjIkkMGTZc

I'm sorry if it hurts your feelings to have it pointed out, but the systemic rot is real.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Melthir posted:

Not any more then regular Joe is for repeatedly voting in the fuckheads who give us tasking. The poo poo policing in America is a societal problem. People refuse to pay what a good officer is worth. Refuse to pay for good training and then bitch incessantly about the outcomes when the political parties use LEOs like clubs to try to shape the system in there favor.

None of that refutes that becoming a police officer necessarily means you are the cudgel for those regressive and racist policies. If you're not disagreeing that political forces create misguided enforcement priorities, why would you excuse someone who signs up to do that dirty work - again, even if they are doing it in the cleanest way possible on the surface? When a police department - whether at the behest of the city council or state legislature, or just on its own initiative - tells its cops to frisk a bunch of kids in minority neighborhoods, or ratchets up burglary enforcement while turning a blind eye to much more impactful white collar fraud, or rounds up piles of low level street drug offenders while allowing pharmaceutical employees to do far worse, or violently infiltrates and breaks up left leaning protests, or you name it in terms of enforcement priorities dictated by race and class rather than public safety, what possible action can an individual officer take to avoid perpetuating these things?

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 2, 2019

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Liquid Communism posted:

It's pretty provable.

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2019-08/nu-poe080119.php?fbclid=IwAR3Drm71gkwbU0mgBIvabquuzdFcryaAxOWZ_DB84Ae6KNiE3wjIkkMGTZc

I'm sorry if it hurts your feelings to have it pointed out, but the systemic rot is real.

:allears:

The Study posted:

Finally, the results of the study are based on one agency and lack organisational-level indicators of change, limiting external validity.

Edit. They also admit they include all use of force complaints, whether founded or unfounded in to the stats.

Not to mention including non-specific complaints, ex. if a general complaint comes in and all officers involved in the call are then named because they don't know who did what but it's really only about the one guy they all still get lumped together and then "connected" for the data.

I'm not saying there aren't problems, and things that need to be addressed, but this study isn't really great at providing more than a headline.

Untagged fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 2, 2019

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

None of that refutes that becoming a police officer necessarily means you are the cudgel for those regressive and racist policies. If you're not disagreeing that political forces create misguided enforcement priorities, why would you excuse someone who signs up to do that dirty work - again, even if they are doing it in the cleanest way possible on the surface? When a police department - whether at the behest of the city council or state legislature, or just on its own initiative - tells its cops to frisk a bunch of kids in minority neighborhoods, or ratchets up burglary enforcement while turning a blind eye to much more impactful white collar fraud, or rounds up piles of low level street drug offenders while allowing pharmaceutical employees to do far worse, or violently infiltrates and breaks up left leaning protests, or you name it in terms of enforcement priorities dictated by race and class rather than public safety, what possible action can an individual officer take to avoid perpetuating these things?

If you don't value your career, a lot. Otherwise, very little.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The city council can't just order cops to stop and frisk black kids. The chief or sheriff doesn't show up to briefings and say "today we are targeting Puerto Ricans and Cambodians". They can create laws and policies which give bad or racist officers the opportunity to harass or target minorities. Good cops still have the discretion to not do those things. Any time one of us is holding the job instead of some George Zimmerman wannabe, that's a cop who isn't going to use his discretion to harass good people.

As far as white collar fraud, that's kind of outside the purview of local departments. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see NYPD busting down doors in Wall Street and arresting bankers which have harmed communities far more than any drug dealer, but that kind of thing is more of an alphabet soup jurisdiction. I've got no clue how to begin doing forensic accounting. Get our politicians to close the revolving door between the IRS, FBI, and other white collar cop houses and the same groups they're supposed to police.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Untagged posted:

:allears:

Edit. They also admit they include all use of force complaints, whether founded or unfounded in to the stats.

Not to mention including non-specific complaints, ex. if a general complaint comes in and all officers involved in the call are then named because they don't know who did what but it's really only about the one guy they all still get lumped together and then "connected" for the data.

I'm not saying there aren't problems, and things that need to be addressed, but this study isn't really great at providing more than a headline.

:byodood:- I saw a cop eating lunch and talking on his phone which wastes my tax dollars!

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Professor Bling posted:

Sure. I'll take my time and write out something reasoned since I'm falling back into angry yelling again.

You have until 2 PM Eastern tomorrow.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Chichevache posted:

The city council can't just order cops to stop and frisk black kids. The chief or sheriff doesn't show up to briefings and say "today we are targeting Puerto Ricans and Cambodians". They can create laws and policies which give bad or racist officers the opportunity to harass or target minorities. Good cops still have the discretion to not do those things. Any time one of us is holding the job instead of some George Zimmerman wannabe, that's a cop who isn't going to use his discretion to harass good people.

Is there a meaningful difference between (a) local politicians adopting a stop and frisk policy, then police leadership adopting stop and frisk quotas and concentrating police in minority neighborhoods and (b) just ordering them to go out and harass minorities? When voters want to crack down on drugs, elect politicians who promise to crack down on drugs by supporting police, and the leadership in those police departments then directs resources to make a show out of a bunch of arrests, which results in a bunch of people accepting felony pleas and ruining their lives, what discretion does the cop in the middle of that chain of events really have? Police are the enforcement arm of policy that contributes to systematic inequality even with the most generous possible assumptions about the actions of any individual cop.

Chichevache posted:

As far as white collar fraud, that's kind of outside the purview of local departments. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see NYPD busting down doors in Wall Street and arresting bankers which have harmed communities far more than any drug dealer, but that kind of thing is more of an alphabet soup jurisdiction. I've got no clue how to begin doing forensic accounting. Get our politicians to close the revolving door between the IRS, FBI, and other white collar cop houses and the same groups they're supposed to police.

But it doesn't have to be that way, the NYPD could be doing that. If white collar fraud and wage theft and that other sort of semi-legalized crime was a priority for politicians and police departments, they could shift their focus and build capabilities. There are plenty of state laws being broken, and the relative lack of spending at the local level on enforcing that sort of property crime instead of property crime more often committed by other types of people has a lot more to do with class and race than a genuine interest in the public good.

None of this has anything to do with an individual police officer of course. As you say, if your supervisor tells you to chase down burglaries you can't exactly going to start digging around mortgage fraud. Which again points to a systematic problem with policing that even the best of police officers can't begin to solve.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Is there a meaningful difference between (a) local politicians adopting a stop and frisk policy, then police leadership adopting stop and frisk quotas and concentrating police in minority neighborhoods and (b) just ordering them to go out and harass minorities? When voters want to crack down on drugs, elect politicians who promise to crack down on drugs by supporting police, and the leadership in those police departments then directs resources to make a show out of a bunch of arrests, which results in a bunch of people accepting felony pleas and ruining their lives, what discretion does the cop in the middle of that chain of events really have? Police are the enforcement arm of policy that contributes to systematic inequality even with the most generous possible assumptions about the actions of any individual cop.

In California quotas like that are illegal, so we can't be forced into violating the 4th amendment by our department. Quotas should be illegal everywhere.

quote:

But it doesn't have to be that way, the NYPD could be doing that. If white collar fraud and wage theft and that other sort of semi-legalized crime was a priority for politicians and police departments, they could shift their focus and build capabilities. There are plenty of state laws being broken, and the relative lack of spending at the local level on enforcing that sort of property crime instead of property crime more often committed by other types of people has a lot more to do with class and race than a genuine interest in the public good.

None of this has anything to do with an individual police officer of course. As you say, if your supervisor tells you to chase down burglaries you can't exactly going to start digging around mortgage fraud. Which again points to a systematic problem with policing that even the best of police officers can't begin to solve.

That's really not how being a line officer works anyway. You generally have a beat and respond to calls in that area. Things like white collar crime would go through a specialized unit or detective. Your sergeant doesn't just say "alright boys, today we focus on murders and ignore other crime" or "burglaries only today, boy, head to your hot spots and wait for them". You show up, get your car, turn your computer on, and just start answering calls on the list.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 3, 2019

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

McNally posted:

You have until 2 PM Eastern tomorrow.

Cool, I've got a draft but have been voluntold into home renovations today; I'll get it out later tonight.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Professor Bling posted:

Cool, I've got a draft but have been voluntold into home renovations today; I'll get it out later tonight.

:dong:

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

keep it in your pants, please

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Professor Bling, is there any reply from one of the few cops here beyond “Golly Gee, you’re right, I’ll suck start my service weapon before the end of my shift!” that would satisfy you, or what? It’s one thing to be rightfully and seriously skeptical about policing in the US because there’s a ton of hosed up and reprehensible poo poo that happens, but your response to anyone else is just the same ACAB shtick. Is there anything else that could actually change your mind?

Okay, so let me try to answer this in good faith.

I don't want cops to off themselves, but I don't see a way to reconcile "being a cop" with "doing good" under the current system and how hosed it is. So, no, I don't actually want cops to kill themselves, but I do want them to stop being cops (previous angry hyperbole being just that, angry hyperbole).

I honestly do not believe there is such thing as a "good cop." There are cops that may try to do good, sure, but there's no possible way to be a "good cop" when the system is as hosed as it is now. Are there "good cops" in the Chicago PD? Were there "good cops" when CPD was running literal blacksites?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/feb/24/chicago-police-detain-americans-black-site

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/apr/11/homan-square-chicago-police-internal-documents-physical-force-prisoner-abuse

How does any upstanding person reconcile themselves with wearing the same uniform as people that do this? I realize that the CIA does this and that there's an argument to be made that it's much the same with military service, and I actually agree with that argument; I have a hard time reconciling my time in with the poo poo that was going on during my enlistment. 8 years ago I'd have probably had an answer to that question, but I'll tell you, 8-years-ago me was a self-serving piece of poo poo with no moral compass and little to no principles besides "get money." I wasn't a good person, and it didn't matter how many volunteer hours I did or how much I tried to "have faith in the mission," there was no fixing that until after I got out.

I can see the arguments that some officers are trying, but racism is so ingrained in both American society and American policing. How does an individual who feels like they need to keep their head down to keep their career fight against systemic racism that pervades the entire department?

https://source.wustl.edu/2018/02/police-kill-unarmed-blacks-often-especially-women-study-finds/

60% of black women killed by police were unarmed at the time they were killed. As well, this article states that "the study also suggests that many tactics implemented to curb police violence, such as the use of body cameras and diversifying police forces by adding more non-white officers, have done little to reduce the number of people killed in police interactions." So these liberal ideas for fixing the problem don't fix the problem.

I'll stay away from getting too political (there's no effective discussion from "the point of police is to protect property and enforce social order" even if I honestly believe that to be true), but suffice to say that these studies, coupled with the Supreme Court decisions finding no "duty to protect," have pretty much permanently soured me on the police in America and what they say we should do to fix this.

Is there anything that police could do to change my mind? Aside from someone waving a magic "no more racism" wand, not really. Not because there aren't things I think would work, but I don't expect any cop to be even close to okay with "disarm all cops and keep the car gun locked in the trunk, with massive paperwork requirements for retrieving it" and "cut police budgets." Especially the latter. I'm sorry, but when a full third to half of some small town budgets go to the police department, the problem isn't "not enough money." It's too many toys.

My local podunk town of 5000 people doesn't need a single MRAP, let alone two of the goddamned things. We don't need our own SWAT unit unless the SWAT in my town is the SWAT for the entire county, which is not the case even if we're the county seat. We don't need cops running around in full battle rattle like they're rolling through loving Fallujah.

Maybe a good start would be advocating for (and actually and actively pushing for) the elimination of law enforcement cutouts in various laws. If I can't have a certain configuration of firearm, then the cops shouldn't either. That would be a good start. Maybe then we can start entertaining things like taking handguns away from cops, and cutting police budgets. Cutting maintenance for MRAPs and Bradleys (and scrapping the goddamned things) would be a good start.

The problem is, if a cop starts openly advocating any of these things, it's career suicide. And when the decision in the moment is "keep my house or actually stand for something good and reasonable" I can completely understand "keep my house" winning that. Which is part of why I maintain there's no such thing as a good cop. By tying their income to oppressing the poor and minorities, you're asking them to basically give up their entire lives in order to stop that oppression, and it's a lot scarier to think about losing your home and your family than it is to think about the couple months of paid leave or desk duty you'd probably not get for slamming a black guy's head in a cruiser door.

I've probably deleted half again as much as I've written here, because I keep getting mad and typing angry poo poo, then deleting it after walking off for a smoke. Couple that with my rap sheet, and maybe I should just not talk about cops on the forums. I'll readily admit I deal with enough of this poo poo in my daily life and it's frustrating as gently caress, because there's no recourse. It doesn't matter who I help if the cops just continue to gently caress them over anyway, as they continually do. Trying to then act like I'm supposed to support "good cops" who are just as ineffectual as I am, with the added caveat that they actively contribute to loving over the poor and disenfranchised, and I fuckin' lose it.

You know, these cops in here are probably pretty decent people in their own right, outside of uniform. But I make that clarification very specifically. With the uniform on, their first name becomes "Officer" and that's all people will see. They won't remember Officer Friendly when they're having their breath cut off or their arms broken for "not complying while black" or simply "not complying fast enough." But the next time they see Officer Friendly, they'll remember the brutality. I don't have a good answer for fixing that. I know I don't have a good answer, I'm frustrated that I don't have a good answer, and I'm mad as gently caress that it all happens in the first place.

So, hey. That's why I say "all cops are bastards." That's why I say there are no good cops. Maybe that means I have to stop posting copchat at all. So be it. But it's getting to be incredibly difficult to release my frustration and anger in any way that's productive, and I can't just ignore the problem because it has far too active a role in the lives of people I care about far more than police officers. Maybe it's appropriate that my first "bought for me" avatar says "I'm going to kick your rear end and get away with it." Because I honestly believe that to be the case.

edited some spelling mistakes

Professor Bling fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 3, 2019

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe don’t engage in cop chat if your not emotionally mature enough to do it w/o flying off the handle and screaming ACAB and going for a stress smoke.

I’m sure your a good dude, but this topic clearly crosses some wires in your head and turn you from good dude to “Why the gently caress is he still going off screaming ACAB?”

Thank you for the thoughtful post, though. It’s the only coherent and well thought out thing you’ve posted here and makes me think you aren’t necessarily arguing in bad faith. Just really, really, angry. And I can understand that.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/TheQueerCrimer/status/1157363488668491781?s=19

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Thanks for clarifying your thoughts; I do appreciate the time you took in answering my question. I understand where you’re coming from, and just to echo what Shim said- if this topic feels like it’s hurting you directly, maybe it’s not a bad idea to take a step back from it from time to time.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
If we only keep easy access to firearms for popular revolution, is it not the time to poo poo or get off the pot? Is our current administration not the definition of Tyranny? Implicitly endorsing mass murder and explicitly endorsing violence against political enemies seems like it's about time.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

This isn't going to stop.
This is going to happen with greater frequency as we close in on the election, and the propaganda machines go ahead a red line.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Then let's have a popular revolution against a tyrannical government. poo poo, p sure we meet all the requirements

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
I don't think this is the mass shooting thread.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Well the CE thread got closed because apparently we're not allowed to disagree with banning guns? so why not talk about it here instead, since it seems like another topic mods don't want to deal with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
If we won't curtail arms proliferation let's use it to our advantage.