Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

HerStuddMuffin posted:

I took a screencap and drew a little green circle in the bottom left corner so I could be cool like you guys but I can’t attach it to this post because I’m on the awful app on mobile. :(

the app can automatically do it via imgur, when it feels like it

90s Cringe Rock has a new favorite as of 14:42 on Aug 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm on pc and there is a button.

Honestly I'm just glad that that white space in the middle of the long avatars isn't just me.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

IUG posted:

Honestly I'm just glad that that white space in the middle of the long avatars isn't just me.

Yeah it's pretty messed up.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

That's just how his head looks like in real life.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Shut up Meg posted:

I'm on pc and there is no button.

i too am on pc and there's no button

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I'm from the Awful app and I say kill them all!

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

RandomFerret posted:

Also turn on YouTube embeds while you're in there

WHAT :psyboom:

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

I guess this is why some people post youtube links without embedding them. I thought they were just stupid.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Y'all'dve done good to check the settings like ages ago.

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I'm shook as hell right now

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I got the button to show up, but I'm not sure how it helps me not lose pages and pages and pages of an unread thread between what I'd been reading and a quoted post.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a button and I swear it wasn't there til you guys started talking about it

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

there are four lights

Zira
Oct 9, 2007

You have a job! Karl has a job! What's my purpose?
Karl has a job!Karl has a job!
What's my purpose? What's my
You have a job! purpose?
What's my purpose?
What's my purpose?
This may help

This is under options in your user control

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Azathoth Prime posted:

I post from a toaster, and there is no button. Sorry, can't post a screenshot, because it's a loving toaster.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zira posted:

This may help

This is under options in your user control

Please turn on bookmarks. Smh

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
i'm a button and there's no pc in sight. help me

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Stonepunk 2.0:

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

FLINTSTONES
MEET THE FLINTSTONES
THEY WILL AID IN TAOIST SORCERY
FROM THE
BLOG OF KUMANTONG
THEY WILL GIVE YOU NON STOP CUMMING

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Burt Sexual posted:

I have never used them or deliberately bookmarked a thread.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

FactsAreUseless posted:

I have never used them or deliberately bookmarked a thread.

More like FeaturesAreUseless

Zira
Oct 9, 2007

You have a job! Karl has a job! What's my purpose?
Karl has a job!Karl has a job!
What's my purpose? What's my
You have a job! purpose?
What's my purpose?
What's my purpose?

Burt Sexual posted:

Nah

Been here over a decade, don't need it

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

purple death ray posted:

More like FeaturesAreUseless
I'm honestly always a bit surprised by how much everyone's browsing habits here differ. I have sigs off and I don't use bookmarks or the ignore/buddy lists. Some people turn off avatars entirely, which is insane to me.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Phy posted:

hostess: oh hey raylene you're done early

sex worker: dong's haunted

hostess: what?

sex worker: *loading a pistol and going back upstairs* dong's haunted

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Friend posted:

I guess this is why some people post youtube links without embedding them. I thought they were just stupid.

These aren't related, you can embed links just fine even if you have them off for yourself. In my experience Ctrl+V embeds and right-click -> paste doesn't, but gently caress if I know what part of forums or SARL or browser or whatever makes it work like that.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
GIF avatars flashing beside what I'm reading gives me migraines

Hirayuki posted:

I got the button to show up, but I'm not sure how it helps me not lose pages and pages and pages of an unread thread between what I'd been reading and a quoted post.

See:

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Getting to the correct page is still an open problem. The only solution I know of is to hit the back button until you see it in your User Control Panel, observe the count of how many posts you missed, don't click last unread (because it no longer works), then divide the number by 40 and go back that many pages. Then you can use the aforementioned white rectangle button to the left of the post.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm honestly always a bit surprised by how much everyone's browsing habits here differ. I have sigs off and I don't use bookmarks or the ignore/buddy lists. Some people turn off avatars entirely, which is insane to me.

This explains a whole lot about some past interactions I've seen, honestly

Take advantage of your User Control Panel as it's intended, which commits you in a tangible way to checking the threads that you recently posted in

Happy Thread has a new favorite as of 22:46 on Aug 1, 2019

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

these are my exact habits, if it helps

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

disabling avatars is vital for effective workplace posting

plaintext attracts a lot less attention from the Man

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Plank Walker posted:

teslas are only for people with a myers-briggs classification of TSLA:

Tolerant: you're ok if your car just stops working randomly. it's a computer after all!
Stupid: you're dumb as a bag of bricks
Love the car: you still love the car though
Affluent: you can afford to spend 50k+ on a car that doesn't work

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I haven't had this much trouble finding the button since the 7 Minutes in Heaven Debacle of '95.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Hirayuki posted:

It doesn't directly help with that.

The idea is that if you jump to a quoted post late in a thread you're reading, and you can figure out where you originally were -- say, by remembering what page you were on, or still having the bookmark list open in another tab with the number of unread posts displaying -- you can go back to that point and click the button, which sets the clicked-on post as your "last read" one.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Thanks--I get it now. It sounds like opening random links in incognito would be a lot easier. In fact, that's probably good protocol in general, now that I think about it.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

So wait, there are people that don’t use bookmarks, and instead manually open each sub-forum one at a time and scroll down to find out if any threads they read have new posts? That seems like just making extra work for no reason at all.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

RandomFerret posted:

Also turn on YouTube embeds while you're in there
Counterpoint: Turn YouTube embeds off and install YouTube Link Title.

Veib posted:

These aren't related, you can embed links just fine even if you have them off for yourself. In my experience Ctrl+V embeds and right-click -> paste doesn't, but gently caress if I know what part of forums or SARL or browser or whatever makes it work like that.
That's the forums doing that. Same with pasting images: Ctrl-V to embed, use Shift-Ins or the mouse to just paste the URL. Also, in case anyone doesn't know, Ctrl-B is bold, Ctrl-I is italic, Ctrl-S is strike-through and Ctrl-U is underline.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I don't like avatars and have them turned off. One day I accidentally clicked my name when trying to get to a thread I'd created and saw my profile. I had a bit of a surprise!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

my browser bookmark is https://forums.somethingawful.com/bookmarkthreads.php

lmao at using the control panel like a noob

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Tiggum posted:

Counterpoint: Turn YouTube embeds off and install YouTube Link Title.

That's the forums doing that. Same with pasting images: Ctrl-V to embed, use Shift-Ins or the mouse to just paste the URL. Also, in case anyone doesn't know, Ctrl-B is bold, Ctrl-I is italic, Ctrl-S is strike-through and Ctrl-U is underline.

quote:

And Ctrl-Q will add a quote box around selected text.
Although the one I want to know is how to add a URL; Ctrl-L or K don't do anything.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

RCarr posted:

So wait, there are people that don’t use bookmarks, and instead manually open each sub-forum one at a time and scroll down to find out if any threads they read have new posts?

there are a lot of them

the Bad With Money thread from BFC took a forums tour, and for months people would occasionally ask in other BFC threads "what happened to that thread? i really liked it, but I guess a derail went out of control and the mods closed it :sigh:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

darthbob88 posted:

Although the one I want to know is how to add a URL; Ctrl-L or K don't do anything.

I use ctrl-u and change the u to url=whatever, but a dedicated shortcut would be nice.