Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
United Kingdom Manga Podcast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Azza Bamboo posted:

What exactly are they going to spend this on?

Tear gas and water cannon.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Guavanaut posted:

You'll get Saith coming after you.

It's unfortunately pretty on point.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

UK Miwk Time

UK Miwk Talk

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

a bunch of EDL twats wandering around Kinshasa yelling "speak English"

I mean, to be fair, the only reason they don't is because they were part of the Belgian empire not ours and thus speak French.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Azza Bamboo posted:

What exactly are they going to spend this on?

Coke and Hookers.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

A 2010 study suggest about £21bn. Add in the sort of insanely incompetent budgeting that saw HS2 go from £20bn to a predicted £85bn and you're probably easily looking in the £40-50bn range. And I'm not even sure if that figure includes the cost of cleaning up Beaufort's Dyke.
And that's for the useless bridge from West Scotland's floppy cock to some rural seaside town in NI.

feedmegin posted:

I mean, to be fair, the only reason they don't is because they were part of the Belgian empire not ours and thus speak French.
Yeah, I had to think of a familiar world capital where the response wouldn't already be "we do because of you".

Although with The Pale existing, I suppose it's more like a bunch of EDL twats wandering around rural Zimbabwe shouting "speak English".

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I like the casual conflation of social media and antisemitism, the third reich having famously organised crystalnacht via loving whatsapp.
That's why Priti Patel needs your WA login.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

it sounds like two dudes giving each other reacharounds
Interest mildly piqued.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Philosophical Cat-Sitting Question of the Day:

if you were going to eat tinned cat food, would you prefer it room temperature or cold out of the fridge?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Julio Cruz posted:

if you were going to eat tinned cat food, would you prefer it room temperature or cold out of the fridge?

Don't eat the cat's food, OP :catstare:

Tacit rule of cat sitting. It shouldn't need to be said.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
don't compare sticker prices of projects with widely different timescales

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Julio Cruz posted:

Is this cat sitting or brexit planning?

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

The lovely Sainsbury’s sandwich I have for lunch always taste better (of less) when they’re cold rather than room temp so I’m gonna go with cold.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

CrispCast

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Shh, you'll tear the podcast apart before the first episode is even finished!

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Rarity posted:

Monster Munch Talk to confuse economists

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
I'd like to find a new job but I'm a bit nervous about making a switch and then immediately being laid off because of Brexit. At least at the moment I have the benefit of state redundancy to the maximum amount.

Is there anyway to limit the risk of this, anyone else hanging on to a job that makes them miserable due to possible implications of Brexit?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

crispix posted:

Don't eat the cat's food, OP :catstare:

Tacit rule of cat sitting. It shouldn't need to be said.

I was just feeding him and started wondering about keeping open tins of cat food in the fridge

like even with the skinniest cat they don't last more than 36 hours and just the idea of that meat and jelly being cold feels wrong somehow

(I promise I am not high right now)

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Rarity posted:

This is why you get the crisp challenge done properly in the first episode, round up all the contenders and everyone discusses which is the best and they go through the bracket in the correct order. It's hard hitting investigative journalism.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Make a nice pie case, and have at it.

Some of the cat food combinations are bizarre, but hey, it might taste alright.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

5 year old me can attest that cat biscuits are legit tasty OP. Nice and meaty.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Correct crisp tournament re-run when

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

I'd like to find a new job but I'm a bit nervous about making a switch and then immediately being laid off because of Brexit. At least at the moment I have the benefit of state redundancy to the maximum amount.

Is there anyway to limit the risk of this, anyone else hanging on to a job that makes them miserable due to possible implications of Brexit?

Work for a software company. No import/export issues because no physical goods and the pound going through the floor is actually good for you if your customers are paying in dollars.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Dead Goon posted:

Make a nice pie case, and have at it.

Some of the cat food combinations are bizarre, but hey, it might taste alright.

chicken and duck seems like an odd choice

I guess it's too expensive for Sainsbury's to do one that's just duck on its own

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

Just move directly to doing crimes imho

(Sorry you hate your job, good luck on a new one)

Julio Cruz posted:

chicken and duck seems like an odd choice

I guess it's too expensive for Sainsbury's to do one that's just duck on its own

Duck can be pretty strong on its own, I can see it being a good combo

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Veg goons, loads of Iceland's 'no bull' range was reduced to 25p

I've not had it so not sure if this is because it tastes like crap but I'll report back

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Julio Cruz posted:

I was just feeding him and started wondering about keeping open tins of cat food in the fridge

like even with the skinniest cat they don't last more than 36 hours and just the idea of that meat and jelly being cold feels wrong somehow

(I promise I am not high right now)

If you don't keep it in the fridge in this hot weather, you might find some extra live meaty chunks in the can

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I liked going to iceland, but there's no shops near me at the moment. Decent prices and decent stuff if you don't mind packaged goods. The bigger ones ofcourse have fresh veg and so on.

They have frozen Greggs products as well in a partnership for those so inclined.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 1, 2019

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Diet Crack posted:

Greggs products

Wtf!
Ignore my above post... BOYCOTT ICELAND

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

Julio Cruz posted:

Having eaten dog food (a dare) I’d go with chilled just so the gravy solidifies a bit.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Fatten up the cat imo.
Will be worth more per pound post Brexit.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

forkboy84 posted:

A 2010 study suggest about £21bn. Add in the sort of insanely incompetent budgeting that saw HS2 go from £20bn to a predicted £85bn

It's not (just) a matter of incompetence, it's politicians telling consultants "we need <thing> and it needs to cost X or it'll get shot down". Then when it inevitably goes over budget billions will already have been spent and the sunk cost fallacy does its job to get it over the line.

If they'd prepare a budget based on actual expected costs plus some contingency there would be a public outcry and nothing would ever get funded.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
Going back a bit, the parallels between fascism and neoliberalism are fascinating.

Cribbing from Eco's Ur-fascism strongly here. Both are explicitly hierarchical, but the source of hierarchy differs - fascists tend to rely on nature and myth (traditionalist, spiritual or similar), but neoliberals use success in the market; also, in neoliberalism it's technically possible to shift places in the hierarchy if your behaviour is rewarded by the market. There's a direct comparison with the Nazis here - Hitler was explicit about how the best people to manage the common wealth of the Volk would be those business owners who had proved themselves through market competition thus being the naturally best-suited. Both are also very, very happy to discard those considered weak. Both reject modernity - fascism through appeal to tradition and a mythical past, and neoliberalism through rejecting human rationality, replacing it with the market as both the most rational of actors and the best decision-maker / information aggregator. Neoliberalism is, like fascism, intrinsically undemocratic since, as people are irrational, the market is best-placed to make decisions - markets in a sense become democracy since they're aggregating the decisions of the population. The fascist cult of heroism, action, and death is kind of paralleled by the neoliberal entrepreneurial spirit and pursuit of risk as behavioural corrector. Also there's some similarity between the fascist love of struggle and the neoliberal love of market competition, both are determining fitness-to-exist. Final similarity I noticed - both are suspicious of new knowledge, in the neoliberal case specifically if it hasn't been obtained by market mechanisms.

Some important differences though. It's worth distinguishing the instrumentalised racism in neoliberal societies from the racism of fascist societies - it is theoretically possible to have neoliberalism without racism (or other prejudice), but in practice it tends to utilise existing racism; compare this to fascism, which is dependent on some Other. There's also no fear of difference or disagreement in neoliberalism; the more ideas in the market, the better, since that's the way truth is determined. Appeal to a frustrated middle class is a foundation of fascism, but I'm not sure it applies so much to neoliberalism - might be some parallels with its implementation in the 1970s-80s?

Taking a few definitions of fascism

Griffon: The Palingenetic Core of Fascist Ideology posted:

Fascism is a political ideology whose mythic core in its various permutations is a palingenetic form of populist ultra-nationalism.

Paxton: Five Stages of Fascism posted:

Fascism is a system of political authority and social order intended to reinforce the unity, energy, and purity of communities in which liberal democracy stands accused of producing division and decline.

Paxton: The Anatomy of Fascism posted:

Fascism may be defined as a form of political behavior marked by obsessive preoccupation with community decline, humiliation, or victim- hood and by compensatory cults of unity, energy, and purity, in which a mass-based party of committed nationalist militants, working in uneasy but effective collaboration with traditional elites, abandons democratic liberties and pursues with redemptive violence and without ethical or legal restraints goals of internal cleansing and external expansion.
neoliberalism has nothing to do with national rebirth or populism (it's very anti-populist), it's not necessarily nationalistic or ethnocentric, and not concerned with purity or decline. I'd say that the similarities might make it easy to slide into fascism, but that's just a guess.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Ratjaculation posted:

Wtf!
Ignore my above post... BOYCOTT ICELAND

we should simply invade Iceland peacefully

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

happyhippy posted:

Fatten up the cat imo.
Will be worth more per pound post Brexit.

Everything will be worth more per ‎£ post-Brexit

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Frozen greggs are great for those 3am 'I fancy a chicken slice' moments.

How am I not fat.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

What era were those? I was thinking more about

where yeah they did make some laws requiring English and forbidding anything Irish they didn't like, but English control of those things beyond The Pale, so to speak, was more like a bunch of EDL twats wandering around Kinshasa yelling "speak English" as far as I was aware. Annoying and probably going to get someone beat up, but the vast majority of people would not be changing their home language over it.

Then you have the organized oppression of what types of schools and churches were allowed in the 19th century, which was very different. And from what I've read, a period in between with Anglo-Irish landlords and an English speaking Church and bilingual middle class but most workers speaking Irish at home, but idk the exact degree of organized oppression there.

Anglo-Irish Landlords were not just a 19th century thing. They were a 12th century thing. It's not just the Pale as the pre-Tudor area of English influence. In the areas of the Irish earldoms(large swathes of what is now the republic) the legal system was common law as opposed to native Brehon law, English was common and the lords were taking their direction from the English monarchy, down to getting involved in all the squabbles like the war of the roses and the barons revolt.

The Tudor era is marked by the Anglo-Irish Lords being alienated from the heavy handed Tudors, leading to a series of rebellions followed by direct control over the region being taken by England- but the Anglo-Irish land was already distinct from the rest of the country before the Elizabethan plantations began. It's not quite the same thing as the later James I plantations of the Ulster.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Remember kids mr Greggs is a nonce
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/30/son-of-greggs-founder-jailed-for-more-than-13-years-for-child-sex-abuse

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Why do these knobs even bother with all this loving whining? Are you going to challenge Corbyn, then? poo poo or get off the pot you bloody cowards.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I was reading something on Imgur (yeah, sorry) that Herman's brother was quite the resistance fighter and did some good during WW2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

I learned today that he might be a pedo