Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Seemlar posted:

I finally unlocked Spritefall and literally every mission I've taken it on so far the Spritefall lady has been almost completely inaudible because of other things talking over her or the general noise of things :mad:
Don't worry! If you want to be sure to hear your pals in combat, during missions you can adjust the Sound effects, music, and voice separately. :eng101:

Why you can't see or change these options from the main menu, I've yet to figure out :downs:

Shine posted:

I like taking Spritefall back to early missions where you're a civilian, and the wicked witch lady is really confused about you having access to it.

Also, I love the general idea that the EDF air force receives air raid commands from a civilian, and just shrug their shoulders and drop bombs. Must be an emergency, right?
The EDF support staff in general probably got jaded by how even the motorbikes are considered """Top Secret""". Meanwhile downstairs, EDF is preparing to have a nice civilian jetpack enthusiast put on a show for open house while they explain to a construction worker "Don't worry about the giant robots, they come through here all the time"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon
Only about halfway through Hard, but 4.1 Wing Diver weapons are getting really hilarious

"A new Rapier with 2500 ammo? I loved the Rapier Thrust!" "Accuracy: L"

"Laser Chainsaw? Of course!" "Range: 120m"

"Thunder Bow 20? The earlier ones were all right - Oh, this entire tunnel is dead and I have 19 more shots"

Even the Wing Diver snipers aren't too bad, since considering the charge mechanic they're relatively similar DPS to comparable Ranger snipers and are pinpoint accurate compared to that one Ranger Sniper with B+ accuracy or similar

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4yjGyS6Z-4 I am reborn in the fire, stronger, harder.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
New mad scientist lady for Spritefall is great, but there's something I miss about the 4.1 Notung operator panicking about the players unauthorized access to it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

40 Proof Listerine posted:

Only about halfway through Hard, but 4.1 Wing Diver weapons are getting really hilarious

"A new Rapier with 2500 ammo? I loved the Rapier Thrust!" "Accuracy: L"

"Laser Chainsaw? Of course!" "Range: 120m"

"Thunder Bow 20? The earlier ones were all right - Oh, this entire tunnel is dead and I have 19 more shots"

Even the Wing Diver snipers aren't too bad, since considering the charge mechanic they're relatively similar DPS to comparable Ranger snipers and are pinpoint accurate compared to that one Ranger Sniper with B+ accuracy or similar

Try the Idunn series. :getin:

Wing Divers have viable snipers in 4.1 because they don't have the problem of EDF 5 snipers where you need to load 67 energy tanks to fire one shot.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Motherfucker posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4yjGyS6Z-4 I am reborn in the fire, stronger, harder.

Just use Cheat Engine at that point :psyduck:. Unless you're on PS4, I guess.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

Blind Duke posted:

New mad scientist lady for Spritefall is great, but there's something I miss about the 4.1 Notung operator panicking about the players unauthorized access to it.

It took me an embarrassingly long time to realize they were hollering about unauthorized access whenever my friend called in a strike and not because of some poorly explained, barely implemented plot point about the aliens hijacking the satellite network.

Spritefall operator/designer Rita Repulsa is far superior in every respect.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

caedwalla posted:

It took me an embarrassingly long time to realize they were hollering about unauthorized access whenever my friend called in a strike and not because of some poorly explained, barely implemented plot point about the aliens hijacking the satellite network.

Spritefall operator/designer Rita Repulsa is far superior in every respect.

Counterpoint: The Nothung operator lady gradually grows more bloodthirsty and hype as you progress until she's howling for her crew to keep firing the laser until it overheats and explodes. "Don't stop firing until it blows up into little pieces!"

Also one of her lines in the later call-ins after a successful hit is her incredibly smugly going "Just annihilated."

I'd put them at about the same level of greatness.

EDF 4.1's generic airstrike guys were more entertaining than 5's, which is unfortunate, since most of the generic airstrikes in 4.1 sucked horribly and the ones in 5 are really good. I'd love to have the Attack Whale guy back now that machine gun strikes aren't jokes.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Aug 1, 2019

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
we lost whale for spritefall lady

fair trade

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
[laughs in death laser]

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Shine posted:

I like taking Spritefall back to early missions where you're a civilian, and the wicked witch lady is really confused about you having access to it.

Also, I love the general idea that the EDF air force receives air raid commands from a civilian, and just shrug their shoulders and drop bombs. Must be an emergency, right?

Spritefall in particular was outright shuttered/banned, likely because Spritfall woman wants to kill poo poo with millions of sky lasers because it gives her the vapors.

"Who ever made this must be A GENIUS" to "THAT'S RIGHT, I AM THE GOD THAT MADE THIS GLORIOUS WEAPON" to "I CAN KILL A GOD, OH HO HO HO".

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the last one is technically true, but who brings a point weapon to kill goku?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Intel Lady is no Ohara but 'WE GET A HUGE CRANE AND SMASH IT' is pretty good.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I don't know why they didn't keep the giant robot crane sooner. WHY BUILD A GIANT ROBOT AND NOT USE IT AS A WEAPON IN A PLANETARY INVASION? YOU DUMMIES.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Uh it's a crane like who uses a crane to fight aliens come on

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
modern weaponry is really, really good at blowing poo poo up. hitting something with a crane and expecting it to cause more damage than artillery or bombing is very silly. however, it is also really awesome and aliens are innately weak against awesome poo poo.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Why did you give a crane legs if you didn't want it to walk over, stomp on poo poo and then smash it with its arms?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Night10194 posted:

Intel Lady is no Ohara but 'WE GET A HUGE CRANE AND SMASH IT' is pretty good.

I adore Ohara, but I like how Intel Lady is also an absurd EDF weirdo, but in a more deadpan way. Her early bit on the downsides of tactical nuke strikes is one of my favorite EDF lines ever. Also, the monsters appear to be teleported from the ship. We will call this technology, "teleportation." The ships will be called "teleportation ships." Thanks, EDF Intel!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Jesus, anyone who said ARs aren't useful in this game hasn't gotten the second or third Slugger.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I know! Damage dropoff be damned, those things chew em up at close range.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Night10194 posted:

Jesus, anyone who said ARs aren't useful in this game hasn't gotten the second or third Slugger.
I haven't tried the Slugger yet, but I love the Stork series (decent range, even after falloff).

And the Minion Buster AR's are super fun to use - maybe less effective than a good shotgun close up, but they can stun-lock frogs and cosmonauts at medium range, and they're even okay against red ants in a pinch (like when you forget to bring a shotgun).

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Most of the top-tier assault rifles have PT so I think they might pull ahead of shotguns in the end.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Minion Busters are good by default. That is how you make a Limpet.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
They really should take some of Rangers guns and give/share them with Air Raider. He's gotta have something more than the limpdick gun or bad net gun. It's not like ranger will miss them and they already share tanks and choppers and robots.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Air Raider needs a series of bigass revolvers as self defense guns.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hey, they did give air raider shotguns. they are so bad they make limpets look like satisfying and effective murder machines, but they are technically shotguns.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
speaking of air raider weapons, i strongly recommend trying out assault beetles with infinite ammo and rof cheats on. it fires a ridiculous constant stream of self-propelled sticky bombs. it's still not particularly effective, but at least it looks neat.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Crabtree posted:

Why did you give a crane legs if you didn't want it to walk over, stomp on poo poo and then smash it with its arms?

Cranes in real life often have wheels or treads but we typically don't expect them to drive over things like a monster truck and smash them!

I actually really like how the awesome factor of giant robot punching and the practicality of giant robot punching meet in EDF in a super weird way. The Balam/Barga is extremely durable and powerful and ideal for the mission of "smash giant monster into paste", but are almost completely helpless against and are easily destroyed by swarms of the weakest giant insects. If you just threw the Balam/Barga out into the field early in the invasion when the aliens were mostly attacking with bugs, they'd just die uselessly without achieving anything.

In fact, in 4.1 after they deploy the Balam for the first time they try to use it against everything and almost immediately discover that it's incredibly garbage at anything but its primary job and lose a bunch of them.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!

Kanos posted:

Cranes in real life often have wheels or treads but we typically don't expect them to drive over things like a monster truck and smash them!

I actually really like how the awesome factor of giant robot punching and the practicality of giant robot punching meet in EDF in a super weird way. The Balam/Barga is extremely durable and powerful and ideal for the mission of "smash giant monster into paste", but are almost completely helpless against and are easily destroyed by swarms of the weakest giant insects. If you just threw the Balam/Barga out into the field early in the invasion when the aliens were mostly attacking with bugs, they'd just die uselessly without achieving anything.

Bring a bunch of turrets with you, stick them on Balam's feet, then go around stomping with fire bullet boots on. :black101: The turrets stun them long enough for you to step on the lot (until it runs out too soon and you die horribly)

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Reallycoolname posted:

Bring a bunch of turrets with you, stick them on Balam's feet, then go around stomping with fire bullet boots on. :black101:

This doesn't work out that well unfortunately. I tried putting flamethrowers on my feet and I mostly ended up just roasting myself.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

It makes me sad that the stomp attack is almost completely and totally loving useless, because I always want to Ministry of Silly Walks my way around through piles of bugs but it does poo poo all damage and frequently fails to even kill basic bugs in one stomp.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

speaking of air raider weapons, i strongly recommend trying out assault beetles with infinite ammo and rof cheats on. it fires a ridiculous constant stream of self-propelled sticky bombs. it's still not particularly effective, but at least it looks neat.

I played around with those cheats with Wing Diver.

Turns out the Monster line of weapons breaks in a bizarre way that makes it fire forever and have a range of 'yes'.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Night10194 posted:

Air Raider needs a series of bigass revolvers as self defense guns.

A series of bigger and bigger revolvers, some of which knock him down but are like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz7tNgsIf-g, so you can have some good gently caress up/build up points weaponry, be revolver ocelot and have fun at the same time.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Give Air Raider the cherry bombs of doom. Those things get real fuckin good, like, holy gently caress.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
While we're at it, Wing Diver needs a class of melee weapons to really sell that "anime valkyrie" appearance. Spears to plunge into cosmonauts from the skybox. Big, goofy scythes for flailing through hordes. A literal laser-chainsaw.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

Shine posted:

I adore Ohara, but I like how Intel Lady is also an absurd EDF weirdo, but in a more deadpan way. Her early bit on the downsides of tactical nuke strikes is one of my favorite EDF lines ever. Also, the monsters appear to be teleported from the ship. We will call this technology, "teleportation." The ships will be called "teleportation ships." Thanks, EDF Intel!

She also sends a special intelligence service person to assist and observe you but I don't think they ever actually show up or do anything, and are never mentioned again.

There's also an amusing line in one of the final missions where she nonchalantly claims she's an AI before saying nah just kidding.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ChickenHeart posted:

While we're at it, Wing Diver needs a class of melee weapons to really sell that "anime valkyrie" appearance. Spears to plunge into cosmonauts from the skybox. Big, goofy scythes for flailing through hordes. A literal laser-chainsaw.

That latter one was in 4.1 and was loving awesome.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
reginleiv had a character with melee weapons. reginleiv was a sandlot wii game that was never translated into english, and it was basically fantasy edf. unfortunately, even aside from all the usual sandlot jank it relied on abysmal motion controls which made the whole thing terribly un-fun.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Night10194 posted:

That latter one was in 4.1 and was loving awesome.

Wait - does the Laser Chainsaw not return in EDF 5?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

40 Proof Listerine posted:

Wait - does the Laser Chainsaw not return in EDF 5?

I don't know, but I haven't seen one yet.