Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Well he’s obviously missing the 55-75 mm focal length range. All the best photos are taken in that range. That’s probably why his pictures have been mediocre. Get a 65mm prime. It will change your life.

“The Answer is 65.”

-Douglas Adams, or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

There is an inexpensive 24mm EF-S pancake (small form-factor) lens that is a nice focal length for landscapes, and it a little faster than the kit lenses. The Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 lens is a nice upgrade to the kit one that's also inexpensive.

It's not quite what you asked for, but a 100mm macro lens (Tokina has a cheap-ish one at $350, all the way up to L-glass versions at $800) is also a fun addition. Macro photography can get some really interesting nature shots when you're walking around, and 100mm f/2.8 isn't bad for portraits either.

On my last trip I brought a 35mm prime (equivalent to the 24mm on a crop sensor) and a 70-200mm zoom and never felt like I was missing out.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
The 24mm pancake is great to toss on and just walk around with. Inexpensive, fast-ish, nice image quality. It’s also great in that it’s a prime, so you’ve got to be a bit more deliberate about composition, which is enjoyable, but the short-normal focal length is easy to work with in general.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Big McHuge posted:

I mean, I'm not really sure, hence why I was asking. I know that the basic kit lenses are generally regarded as very entry-level mediocre, and I know there are a ton of different lenses out there, so I was just trying to figure out what would be some good suggestions for a first upgrade, beyond the Nifty Fifty that I had read about a while back. I'm also planning on picking up a nice tripod since I know that will be a boon to long term improvement, but I know there is a separate thread for that kind of gear.
Quality is a reason to upgrade by itself. But for most people you just want to upgrade when you find something that you can't do with what you have. Wider aperture, more reach, macro, lighter weight, whatever.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Big McHuge posted:

I mean, I'm not really sure, hence why I was asking. I know that the basic kit lenses are generally regarded as very entry-level mediocre, and I know there are a ton of different lenses out there, so I was just trying to figure out what would be some good suggestions for a first upgrade, beyond the Nifty Fifty that I had read about a while back. I'm also planning on picking up a nice tripod since I know that will be a boon to long term improvement, but I know there is a separate thread for that kind of gear.

You are into either macro or super telephoto in wildlife terms insects and birds.

Don't get gear focused think of a photo you want to take and think why your current gear limits you and how new gear would achieve that shot.

eg

I want a tripod, because I want to do a long exposure landscape.
I want a macro, because I fancy photographing watch mechanisms.
I want a super telephoto because I like airshows.
I want a quality medium prime, because I really like portraits.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Big McHuge posted:

So last year prior to a trip to Iceland I bought my first DSLR camera, a Rebel T6. It came with two kit lenses, an 18-55mm and a 75-300mm zoom lens. The pictures turned out great, but now that I have a little more experience under my belt I'm looking to branch out into additional lenses to carry with me. I picked up the 50mm f/1.8 since it's really popular. What would be some other recommended lenses, specifically for travel/landscape photography (I'm headed to Ireland in August)?
Have an ultra wide like the 10-18 for the rebel would be great.

Never regretted duel wielding two FF cameras while traveling where one has a 16-35/12-24 and another with 100-400.

I mean you dont go to those places often anyway and you may as well work out a bit more with those weight and have the complete coverage on both ends. You can even carry a 24/35/50 prime for night shoots if you want :v:

Encrypted fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jun 14, 2019

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Big McHuge posted:

So last year prior to a trip to Iceland I bought my first DSLR camera, a Rebel T6. It came with two kit lenses, an 18-55mm and a 75-300mm zoom lens. The pictures turned out great, but now that I have a little more experience under my belt I'm looking to branch out into additional lenses to carry with me. I picked up the 50mm f/1.8 since it's really popular. What would be some other recommended lenses, specifically for travel/landscape photography (I'm headed to Ireland in August)?
A wide angle zoom or a 35/2 stabilized normal lens

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

On a vacation with lots of backpacking and really regretting my 70-200 2.8. I love every picture it takes but loving hell it's heavy. Backpack is perceptibly lighter with it out.

What's a better option for shaving weight? If I'm doing landscape I guess I don't care about maximum aperture too much, just good sharpness.

I do have an old 55-250 kit lens (not sure which revision, it's 1500 miles away) which is probably a smart choice. But is there anything else notable out there to lust for?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
the f/4 is about half the weight, isn't it? Looks like it's about the weight of the Tamron 70-300 as well. Obviously there's mirrorless or whatever large-sensor compact that's got the longest range if you really want to shave weight.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

The /4 is around half the weight, right? Perceptible difference.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
f/4 is the smarter choice these days with sensors getting better and better at high ISOs. Unless you are literally doing paid work, save the $ and your spine.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Here's me lusting over the 200 f/2

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
That's not a zoom though and f2 is on a different level entirely for that focal length

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
its more about how all my desired lenses weigh a ton.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
:aaa::hf::smith:

Yeah I want a 300 2.8 (which would have a 2x TC permanently attached).

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Seamonster posted:

:aaa::hf::smith:

Yeah I want a 300 2.8 (which would have a 2x TC permanently attached).

A 600 f/4 would be faster and sharper in that case :getin:

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
500 f/4 is the one TCs also reduce AF speed and points

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

dakana posted:

A 600 f/4 would be faster and sharper in that case :getin:

Now that's a fantasy!

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I think the 300/2.8 is the sweet spot of being versatile and also not being stupidly huge. Traveling and hiking with it is easy because it fits in a normal size backpack, the TCs work great for wildlife, and the bare lens is still useful for indoor stuff.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

xzzy posted:

On a vacation with lots of backpacking and really regretting my 70-200 2.8. I love every picture it takes but loving hell it's heavy. Backpack is perceptibly lighter with it out.
An 85millie because gently caress carrying zooms on foot.

jarlywarly posted:

for when you have a 1dx and still want to miss focus more than half the time.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
I got an Zenit-E with an assortment of russian objectives using M42 mount. Would using EF to M42 adapter be okay for an canon 40D?

lol at the MNP-20mm 3,5/20mm

jarlywarly posted:

My jupiter-37a communism objective is objectively better than western decadence.

Big Mackson fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 1, 2019

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

Big Mackson posted:

I got an Zenit-E with an assortment of russian objectives using M42 mount. Would using EF to M42 adapter be okay for an canon 40D?

Yes. Just be sure to buy "chipped" adapter that lights up focus points in viewfinder as a ghetto focus assist.

E: That is, of course, for adapting M42 to EF! :v:

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Big Mackson posted:

I use old Soviet lenses a lot on my Canon. I use a $5 dumb adapter without any chip in it and it's fine mostly as long as you are not wide open or as long as you are focusing in live view.

Big Mackson posted:

lol at the MNP-20mm 3,5/20mm

Мир is written as Mir in Latin letters. It means 'world'. I have that lens for the Kiev Automat mount, it's a beautiful, beautiful but huge chunk of glass.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Helen Highwater posted:

I use old Soviet lenses a lot on my Canon. I use a $5 dumb adapter without any chip in it and it's fine mostly as long as you are not wide open or as long as you are focusing in live view.

Мир is written as Mir in Latin letters. It means 'world'. I have that lens for the Kiev Automat mount, it's a beautiful, beautiful but huge chunk of glass.

I have noticed that russian cameras and objectives are very space name oriented.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
It's not that so much but that the USSR used a lot of names interchangeably amongst a lot of different products, because those names embodied an image that they wanted to project.

Mir just means world. It was a lens range before it was a space station.
Salyut means salute (in the firing a gun sense) and it was a Hasselblad copy, an elite hotel, and then later a space station too.
Chaika means dove. It was the name of a half frame camera and the name of a limousine.
Sputnik means satellite and the name was liberally applied to a lot of things as a way of cashing in on the propaganda coup of getting the first satellite into space. There's a developing tank, a stereo camera, a radio set and a bunch of other stuff with that name too.
Other camera names were mostly random stuff that wasn't reused a lot - Zorki (sharp eye), Zenit (zenith), Horizon, Lubitel (amateur), Smena (change), Helios (sun god), etc.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Aside from lacking the CF card slot, the 90D a pretty clear upgrade from the 7D2 isn't it? Not that it shouldn't be given how old the 7D2 is but I'm wondering if I'm missing something on my first scan through the specs. Now that I'm actually printing the added resolution might be worth the upgrade if I'm going to ride the EF-mount train off the cliff into oblivion.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Aside from lacking the CF card slot, the 90D a pretty clear upgrade from the 7D2 isn't it? Not that it shouldn't be given how old the 7D2 is but I'm wondering if I'm missing something on my first scan through the specs. Now that I'm actually printing the added resolution might be worth the upgrade if I'm going to ride the EF-mount train off the cliff into oblivion.
I honestly love my EOS R even if it's not popular for some reason. The RF mount lenses are amazing, and it's backwards compatible with EF. I thought I'd hate a mirrorless system because of the optics, but I haven't missed a pentaprism at all. The EOS RP has to be close in price to the 90D (less pixels, but it's full-frame), I'd imagine, it's worth checking out IMO.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, this was pretty much what everyone expected to happen. The 7d line is dead and the upgrade for the 80d would replace it.

Seems like a pretty sweet body for crop sensor folks. Time to spike my 80d into concrete and convince my better half I need a replacement.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
i love my communism objective but i ran into a problem. i dont have anything to take pictures of :|

maybe when i have taken cat allergy vaccine and adopted a shelter cat i can post cat pictures. everybody needs more of such things.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Hmmm, consider me possibly interested then. I kind of miss not having a tilty screen too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Big Mackson posted:

i love my communism objective but i ran into a problem. i dont have anything to take pictures of :|

maybe when i have taken cat allergy vaccine and adopted a shelter cat i can post cat pictures. everybody needs more of such things.

Actually we do, because as cat pictures get continually downloaded and reshared the jpegs lose detail so we need a steady supply of fresh jpegs to keep things working properly.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Aside from lacking the CF card slot, the 90D a pretty clear upgrade from the 7D2 isn't it?

No. Theres also the lack of full weather sealing, the 45 point AF is a step down and also the tough as a tank build, lack of twin processors for true high speed etc. It also appears the high speed shooting is AF fixed which is a biiiiig no. Those are deal breakers for many 7DmkII owners and no, I wont be replacing my 7DmkII with a 90D and I really doubt many other 7DmkII owners will be either.

xzzy posted:

Yeah, this was pretty much what everyone expected to happen. The 7d line is dead and the upgrade for the 80d would replace it.

The current rumors are highlighting that the true replacement to the 7DmkII will be mirrorless. Possibly something like a mirrorless EF mount if THAT out there rumor could be believed.

TBH while the 90D is a clear good upgrade to anyone shooting APS-C other than a 7D mkII, the M6 mk II spec are more interesting if you are looking for a to replace an aging DSLR camera.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just my loving luck -- I got an 80D like a month ago :shepicide:

Oh well, it's still a great camera (and a big upgrade from my old T2i) even if the 90D is better. I kinda had a feeling this would happen anyway lol

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

No. Theres also the lack of full weather sealing, the 45 point AF is a step down and also the tough as a tank build, lack of twin processors for true high speed etc. It also appears the high speed shooting is AF fixed which is a biiiiig no. Those are deal breakers for many 7DmkII owners and no, I wont be replacing my 7DmkII with a 90D and I really doubt many other 7DmkII owners will be either.

The current rumors are highlighting that the true replacement to the 7DmkII will be mirrorless. Possibly something like a mirrorless EF mount if THAT out there rumor could be believed.

TBH while the 90D is a clear good upgrade to anyone shooting APS-C other than a 7D mkII, the M6 mk II spec are more interesting if you are looking for a to replace an aging DSLR camera.
I really won't be surprised if they just stick a crap (e: drat you autocorrect) crop sensor behind an RF mount

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Infinite Karma posted:

I honestly love my EOS R even if it's not popular for some reason. The RF mount lenses are amazing, and it's backwards compatible with EF. I thought I'd hate a mirrorless system because of the optics, but I haven't missed a pentaprism at all. The EOS RP has to be close in price to the 90D (less pixels, but it's full-frame), I'd imagine, it's worth checking out IMO.

I actually agree with you on the EOS R, but people moving from a 7D2 would probably not be interested in either of the current RF mount bodies because the burst rate on both of them is awful.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

astr0man posted:

I actually agree with you on the EOS R, but people moving from a 7D2 would probably not be interested in either of the current RF mount bodies because the burst rate on both of them is awful.

Yep. Do not want.

ilkhan posted:

I really won't be surprised if they just stick a crap (e: drat you autocorrect) crop sensor behind an RF mount

Also rumours of that could be where the 7D replacement is going to be. Also rumours of a 200-500 RF lens. Which.... if thats true my wallet is going to loving suffer. GIMME

I am sure Canon are well aware of the 7D series helps sell a lot of glass. Big glass too. Highly profitable glass. I doubt any of us want to switch systems in a hurry given the glass investments. It's not a segment of buyers Canon would want to leave out in the cold tooooooo much longer however..... Sony are getting their act together with ergonomics and the glass is pretty drat appealing now.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I am sure Canon are well aware of the 7D series helps sell a lot of glass. Big glass too. Highly profitable glass. I doubt any of us want to switch systems in a hurry given the glass investments. It's not a segment of buyers Canon would want to leave out in the cold tooooooo much longer however..... Sony are getting their act together with ergonomics and the glass is pretty drat appealing now.

yap, bought red ring objectives for mah 7dees.

coke
Jul 12, 2009
lol I like how there are new canon cameras that came out but no one made a single post about them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCcxPCj8L5M

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But half this page is talking about the 90D?

Or are you talking about the M6, which no one in here would ever give a poo poo about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

xzzy posted:

Or are you talking about the M6, which no one in here would ever give a poo poo about.

M6 mk II actually looks like a better still camera in APS-C than anything else Canon has so....... yeah nah I might replace one of my older cameras with on depending what I think when I get my hands on one