Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tiggum posted:

Classical music. Oddly enough, I know this because it came up in Dick Tracy years ago when Tess made Dick go see a performance of some "longhair music".

My Lovely Horse posted:

"Long hair music" these days commonly means 60s hippie music, for obvious reasons, but prior to the 60s it was used for classical fans, since the style of the times was short, the composers had long hair, and it was similarly seen as the music of choice for intellectuals and subversive elements.
I think the Dick Tracy comic in question was from, like, the 90s? 00s? Way, way after that was a current term for classical music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

This won't possibly come back to bite Shauna in the rear end, nope, not at all.

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I have no idea what I'm doing!

Darthemed posted:

And we've started looping on GoComics' Geech supply, so I'll be trying out a few replacements. If there's any you'd particularly like to see stay or go, speak up.

Herb and Jamaal

I feel like I'll be the only vote for this but I remember liking Herb and Jamaal when I read it in papers. That one gets my vote.

Gately Heathcliff

Heathcliff please that man needs that job to feed his family.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I looked up Heart of the City on wikipedia and discovered that the character's address is a specific historical apartment building in Philly which is right across the street from one of my dissertation advisors' homes where I semi-frequently go for dinner, so if you decide to post it, I'm sure I'll eventually show up in it, which would be a real treat.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 1, 2019

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Darthemed posted:

And we've started looping on GoComics' Geech supply, so I'll be trying out a few replacements. If there's any you'd particularly like to see stay or go, speak up.

Heart of the City

I like the art (unlike most of those other comics)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ed is right to skip "wellness" events since they are nothing more than scams by companies to increase individuals' insurance premiums.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Aw mang.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Candorville has been posted on and off here a few times and it normally generates some good discussions. Darrin Bell (also a political cartoonist) has managed to create a mouthpiece whose opinions I agree with mostly, but who I still can't loving stand. Bell can't help but make issues all about him, and he/his stand-in have some weird hang-ups with women (the main character is carrying a printer for his childhood best friend that Bell always draws in provocative poses.) Plus he has a lovely little kid that speaks with a thpeech impwediment. And god hep us if there's a high-profile death in the news, because then we get a week of Darrin Bell's stand-in talking to the dead person on a train.

What I'm saying is - Candorville sucks, so post Candorville. At least we'll get more Clyde:

BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
oh, those are corgis

apparently

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Oh yes, I can definitely relate to this!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Woebin posted:

To be honest I've been feeling the same way when I've posted Pyton to no response. I mean, not complaining about it, just saying that I understand the feeling.

It comes up reasonably often, but people tend not to comment super often on good comics. Anyways, I always like Pyton, and I'm digging this Star Wars comic, keep 'em up.

Darthemed posted:

I'm excited to see Boondocks. I remember mostly liking Candorville, but I think I mostly liked Clyde and the rest was very hit or miss. Unless there's something to Gray Matter, I'd skip it, we already have plenty of boomer-wank.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I want to see more Heart of the City, I used to like it as a teen and it's interesting to see the characters have advanced in age a bit. Also yesterday was a pretty relatable depiction of a panic attack.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

StrixNebulosa posted:

As disgusting as 9CL and the rest are, they don't approach the rage-inducing garbage that is Dilbert. Like, Dilbert is outright offensive and I really don't want to put up with that in my funny papers. I'm here to be mad at Luann, not so incandescent with rage I can't see straight.

At least Dilbert makes me chuckle, occasionally. I can't say the same about any of the others I mentioned.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Endless Mike posted:

Thanks for letting me know! :) I wasn't sure anyone was actually reading it.

Woebin posted:

To be honest I've been feeling the same way when I've posted Pyton to no response. I mean, not complaining about it, just saying that I understand the feeling.
People don't comment as much on good comics because there's not much to say other than "this owns".

That said, Pyton owns.

2015 Spiderman

1977 Spiderman

Dick Tracy

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Darthemed posted:

In Security

What in the hell is this?

My Lovely Horse posted:

"Long hair music" these days commonly means 60s hippie music, for obvious reasons, but prior to the 60s it was used for classical fans, since the style of the times was short, the composers had long hair, and it was similarly seen as the music of choice for intellectuals and subversive elements.
Leopold!

F Minus

Affirmative Action! :argh:

Mark Trail

Geez just shut up already no one cares.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

I'm gonna go with appendicitis for this one.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

howe_sam posted:

This won't possibly come back to bite Shauna in the rear end, nope, not at all.

You have no idea.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

That's a Tiggum-quality edit there

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Nice to see Frank Reynolds in a speedo getting a cameo in Mary Worth.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
the bus 2

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Pyton has killed and eaten a man

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Captain_Maclaine posted:

You have no idea.
Oh I do, I'm a long time Tackleverse reader.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
What's up, Fire Emblem continues to devour most of the attention span I use for comics so here's yesterday's comics too:

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

As far as the thread goes: Pyton and The Bus 2 own, thanks for posting it. I agree with the sentiment of Candorville sucking so post that one. That said I want to know what the gently caress that anime one is about so I vote In Security

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Hwurmp posted:

Pyton has killed and eaten a man

Sure has.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

PuddingKnight posted:

Pyton and The Bus 2 own, thanks for posting it.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
My Dad is Dracula (1/16/19)

Pickles

Zits

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Zereth posted:

I think the Dick Tracy comic in question was from, like, the 90s? 00s? Way, way after that was a current term for classical music.

https://joshreads.com/2009/12/a-pensive-moment-with-dick-tracy-before-the-killings/

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Moomin and the Martians

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

why is that aardvark such an aarsehole

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Luxrage posted:

I feel like I'll be the only vote for this but I remember liking Herb and Jamaal when I read it in papers. That one gets my vote.

I'm voting for it because for the longest time it was considered the worst of the worst in comics to the point where people posting "Oh Baby" would lead to people posting Herb and Jamaal in retaliation. Heck, some goon changed their avatar to Herb and chose the title "Brinkmanship" because of this thread back in the day, and I think they still have that avatar?

Anyway, in the current climate of having to deal with way worse stuff like modern Luann, I think Herb and Jamaal will be positively delightful.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Another item stumbled upon in trawling through GoComics' offerings.

The Other End

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Is it a whole new set of credits every strip? Because that's a lot of work for a thin joke.

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

People should feel appreciated for the effort they put in posting, so I'll just add that I enjoy Pickles, Zits, Zippy, and especially Monty. They aren't the all-stars but I find them enjoyable and charming in their own way.

Monty in particular is real good at depicting a group of nerdy friends in a way that's not just pop culture references.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I really like King Aroo, but I don't have anything insightful to say about it 99% of the time.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I keep this thread bookmarked for foreign comics and Prince Valiant.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

as always the answer is :justpost:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

While we're doing an appreciation festival, I just want to give a shout out to everyone who posts edits. Even if they sometimes go by without a comment, edits are still one of the greatest things about this thread. There may be other places on the Internet that discuss our favorite dying art form, but I don't know of anyone else who rips and mangles them and makes new humor out of them the way that we do. Everyone who makes and posts them, I salute you.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Classic Cat

kidcoelacanth posted:

as always the answer is :justpost:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

December 2009 is still, technically, the 00s.

Gloomy Rube posted:

I'm voting for it because for the longest time it was considered the worst of the worst in comics to the point where people posting "Oh Baby" would lead to people posting Herb and Jamaal in retaliation. Heck, some goon changed their avatar to Herb and chose the title "Brinkmanship" because of this thread back in the day, and I think they still have that avatar?

Anyway, in the current climate of having to deal with way worse stuff like modern Luann, I think Herb and Jamaal will be positively delightful.
I remember Herb and Jamaal mainly for the Comics Curmudgeon going "why is this always so incredibly nonspecific about things" so I'm interested to see if it still makes incredibly awkward dialogue to avoid mentioning something by name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

goatface posted:

I really like King Aroo, but I don't have anything insightful to say about it 99% of the time.

The guy who said it has Big Moomin Energy is spot on. It's exactly how you do sweet and charming humor. Also, it's very vaudeville.