Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Epicurius posted:

I sort of get the impression that Mayor Pete, while he'd like to be president, is running for president in order to run for senate or governor; he's getting his name out there, he's getting money lined up, etc, and then will drop out and convert it into a Gubernatorial run in 2020 or a Senate run in 2022.

Honestly his best bet for state office is probably to find some excuse to move to Michigan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Uglycat posted:

Sechud, then VP or secstate, then pres. He don't wanna be one of 100 senators or one of fifty governors. May be his fate, though. Hes an executive, not a legislator. Governor would be groovy though, and Indiana ( which voted for Obama, then went bback red) will be solid blue ( not even donnelly blue).

I think I just want him to be governor and I’m getting mad that he isn’t doing exactly what I want. Dude is still on the right side of things regardless of me making GBS threads on anyone running against Bernie. He could be very good for Indiana.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Uncle Wemus posted:

So just what exactly is how going to do as president?

"Get things back to normal" ie do nothing of consequence.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Joe Biden primarily supports carbon capture/sequestration - an utterly worthless technology that makes a very tiny dent in current CO2 emissions. He's such an immense piece of poo poo, its kind of amazing.

https://twitter.com/emilyhholden/status/1156960907307692033

Also not only is CCS for coal bad for the climate, its worse than regular coal in every other way you have to mine 80% more to 4x more coal for the same amount of power.

Coal CCS would destroy even more of America just to line the pocketbooks of coal companies one last time.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 1, 2019

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

So Biden is another old statesmen who couldn't care less about the environment because he'll be dead before it kills the rest of us. Got it.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Harton posted:

I think I just want him to be governor and I’m getting mad that he isn’t doing exactly what I want. Dude is still on the right side of things regardless of me making GBS threads on anyone running against Bernie. He could be very good for Indiana.

He would be a killer secHUD.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Uglycat posted:

Perhaps, more literally than you intended.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1156994255111512065?s=21

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
What if we use those methane bags but put them on top of smokestacks?

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

While she is definitely the entertainment of the debate group, she has to go away before I start having nightmares of her debating Trump.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
I don't know why you people keep talking about how to deal with dirty coal when Clean Coal is right there. Why don't you use that?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Uglycat posted:

You know how people say there are more vacant houses than homeless people in America? Secretary Buttigieg would put an end to that.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

yronic heroism posted:

If you are Delaney or Ryan getting remembered at all is a win.

I still doubt >5% of debate watchers could name either of them if shown a picture

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Retro42 posted:

While she is definitely the entertainment of the debate group, she has to go away before I start having nightmares of her debating Trump.

I keep having flashbacks to me laughing about Trump in the republican primaries. I don’t wanna ever go back to that place.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Retro42 posted:

Williamson would eviscerate Trump.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The GE debates will be impossible to “win” because the divide between reality for both sides is too big. Republicans will honestly believe Trump won no matter what. Democrats certainly will always see our nominee making “better” answers, even Biden. But it won’t matter because the debate doesn’t matter except as how it impacts the narrative of the election. Winning isn’t the point anymore.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Luckyellow posted:

I wonder if having debate watching parties was a factor too? The one I went to Tuesday night had like 25+ people.

A lot of people that were streaming the debates or doing commentary about the debates with clips on YouTube and Twitch got copyright strikes. You would think the debates for a major political party would be available for free.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Trabisnikof posted:

The GE debates will be impossible to “win” because the divide between reality for both sides is too big. Republicans will honestly believe Trump won no matter what. Democrats certainly will always see our nominee making “better” answers, even Biden. But it won’t matter because the debate doesn’t matter except as how it impacts the narrative of the election. Winning isn’t the point anymore.

There are way more moderates who can swing either way than almost all political nerds are willing or aware enough to admit so

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Retro42 posted:

He would do that "lurk behind her as she answers" thing he tried with Hillary and promptly get maced.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Trabisnikof posted:

You are absolutely right. Have you ever read the comments on right wing youtube videos? They have a very loose relationship with reality.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

T Bowl posted:

There are way more moderates who can swing either way than almost all political nerds are willing or aware enough to admit so

While I agree, I don't think there will be nearly as many moderates this go around after 4 years of Trump polarizing every single issue imaginable.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

T Bowl posted:

Not really. All the data points towards most “moderates” being one-party voters who just don’t like to call themselves that.

The real untapped potential are non-voters, which are the exact kind of people who won’t be reached by “winning the debate.”

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Retro42 posted:

While I agree, I don't think there will be nearly as many moderates this go around after 4 years of Trump polarizing every single issue imaginable.

There are way more non-voters who could be convinced to vote than there are swing voters. Marianne Williamson telling Trump to his face that she will obliterate his hatred with the force of America's love will activate way more voters than fuckin... Amy Klobuchar saying Trump hosed up the deficit or something.

Of course Bernie promising Americans that he will give them a good job and free medicine will activate way more than that, but still.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Trabisnikof posted:

Not really. All the data points towards most “moderates” being one-party voters who just don’t like to call themselves that.

The real untapped potential are non-voters, which are the exact kind of people who won’t be reached by “winning the debate.”

Anecdotal evidence sucks but I know plenty of people who have voted on both sides for what it's worth.. :shrug:

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Gripweed posted:

There are way more non-voters who could be convinced to vote than there are swing voters. Marianne Williamson telling Trump to his face that she will obliterate his hatred with the force of America's love will activate way more voters than fuckin... Amy Klobuchar saying Trump hosed up the deficit or something.

Of course Bernie promising Americans that he will give them a good job and free medicine will activate way more than that, but still.

Andrew Yang should be booming up the polling with this theory.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

T Bowl posted:

Anecdotal evidence sucks but I know plenty of people who have voted on both sides for what it's worth.. :shrug:

A lot of people say they have but mostly vote single party in national elections.

Just like plenty of people who are vocal conservatives say they didn't vote for Trump but they definitely did.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

T Bowl posted:

Andrew Yang should be booming up the polling with this theory.

There's a reason Andrew Yang has already qualified for the third debate but Inslee, Klobuchar, etc. haven't

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I myself have voted for a couple moderate Republicans at the state level but only because the alternative was a batshit crazy Dem who was being elected because they were a Dem and not because of any actual substance.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Inslee has become aware of his erotic power

https://twitter.com/JayInslee/status/1157023271881080832?s=20

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
https://twitter.com/TwinklingTania/status/1156641264936218624

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

They're good glasses, on-trend, and they suit his head shape. Totally cute, oh my God. He's serving me climate realness, he's serving me political daddy vibes, yassss

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Move over beto, there's a new calf cramper in town

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Sexier Victor Garber

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Is this why I didn't think he was yelling?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

HootTheOwl posted:

A little bit of that plus a little bit of "you're not motivated to try and paint every single thing he does and says in the worst possible light"

He's never come across to me as yelling :shrug:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

HootTheOwl posted:

Maybe youve got that Ashkenazi congenital deafness

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
"Don't worry guys, he's not raising his voice because he cares about things."

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Halloween Jack posted:

"Don't worry guys, he's not raising his voice because he cares about things."

When you're trying to reach an audience to whom "caring about things" is gauche and to be avoided, yeah a different tack should be tried, especially if it can be related to idpol. Gotta speak their language

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Failed Imagineer posted:

Maybe youve got that Ashkenazi congenital deafness

People always accused me of speaking loudly and now my wife is constantly telling me to speak up. MAKE UP YOUR MIND, SOCIETY!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Gripweed posted:

You know how people say there are more vacant houses than homeless people in America? Secretary Buttigieg would put an end to that.

gotta admit it'll be nice to bulldoze all the tent cities and put up a bed bath & beyond, and maybe a macaroni grill