Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Whoa, Emma Frost being trans would rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I seem to recall Jay from Xplain the X-men making a very similar argument abouT why Emma would be a good choice.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

ImpAtom posted:

I seem to recall Jay from Xplain the X-men making a very similar argument abouT why Emma would be a good choice.

I should jump back on that podcast, a few years ago when I was studying for comps I'd listen to a couple episodes of back catalogue a night and really dug it, but just dropped off for whatever reason. This is like the third conversation I've seen it pop up in in two weeks though, and each time I've been like, mm, sounds like Jay is correct again.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Beachcomber posted:

Do you really want a "transgender 'woman' tricked cyclops into loving him*" meme floating around?

*The 'him' above was for illustrative purposes only. People are whatever they say they are, and are entitled to their own pronouns.

I understand it may not be intentional, but this comes across as concern trolling a trans woman because of their idea for a trans character might not be well received by people who hate everything regardless.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A part of Emma's backstory is a lot of plastic surgery so they could just take that further.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

I never saw it, but from what I heard, the trailers and commercials showed all this badass, crazy fantasy stuff and then the movie shows it all in the first few minutes to go, "This is what people think Hercules did, but it's all exaggeration. Here's some mundane bullshit of what REALLY happened."

Let me put it like this: You know how having the Rock in a movie makes it watchable, just because Dwayne Johnson is so loving charismatic? It didn't help this movie at all. I think this came out around the same time that racist loving remake of Clash of the Titans came out, too. That sword and sandals resurgence just never got off the ground.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
So Emma Frost is one of the few comic characters that could probably stand to be played by a white woman but with all the trans talk all I can think is Dominique Jackson would be amazing in the role.

Like Elektra Abundance is basically the White Queen already.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Archyduchess posted:

I agree? Maybe I was being too circumspect in my phrasing but I wasn't trying to say "Emma Frost resembles a type of queer experience," but "whenever they next re-do or revamp Emma Frost she should be queer."

I'm not trying to argue with your point im trying to add my own opinion.

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

Hobbs and Shaw was the best Superhero movie all August

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I hope Hulk is in the new Thor movie and he's back to Banner/Hulk being separate personalities without any explanation.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I hope he's there personalities now. The third one is just an electricity lightning man he turns into when he gets nostalgic

And you wanna know his secret? He's always nostalgic

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/RosieMarx/status/1157359961615155200

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

I would have been interested to see how it would have done against Hobbs and Shaw

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
What's the current date? March 2020?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/DoctorRagnarok/status/1157025765181067266?s=19

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Kingtheninja posted:

April 3 2020.

Where it will contend for the number one slot against the absolutely totally definitely going to be released DC Cyborg movie.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

site posted:

"nazis on twitter would get mad" is up there with "im a nazi on twitter and am mad" as one of the worst arguments ive seen for not doing something. like,

im still reeling from this

All I was saying is if you want to do a trans character, there might be better choices than the manipulative, untrustworthy telepath.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Kingtheninja posted:

I hope it gets pushed a year even further out and we'll be able to say in hindsight it wasn't 2020.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Weird they pick Endgame, when Civil War was about a Playboy billionaire in a metal suit tricked by a normal guy into fighting a superpowered symbol of America and both get triggered by mentions of their mother.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Weird they pick Endgame, when Civil War was about a Playboy billionaire in a metal suit tricked by a normal guy into fighting a superpowered symbol of America and both get triggered by mentions of their mother.

Well those movies came out the same weekend so unless Kevin Feige has the gauntlet irl it would be very difficult for Civil War to be inspired by BvS.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

CityMidnightJunky posted:

drat it I clicked the tweet and wrote almost this exact response, I swear before scrolling down to it

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

Well those movies came out the same weekend so unless Kevin Feige has the gauntlet irl it would be very difficult for Civil War to be inspired by BvS.

They were slated for the same weekend but wisely DC moved to another one.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

X-O posted:

They were slated for the same weekend but wisely DC moved to another one.

Oh yeah. Still, tho.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Google spy services in my phone actually had a notification this morning about New Mutants opening. I guess whatever database that service (Google Now I think?) pulls from must not have updated,

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Lurdiak posted:

Well he did get a 19 year old Robert Downey Jr to cameo in it. Maybe he does have the Infinity Gauntlet.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
My most contrarian opinion about Civil War is that effect looks like poo poo and Ant-Man should have received all the props for the de-aging stuff.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

My most contrarian opinion about Civil War is that effect looks like poo poo and Ant-Man should have received all the props for the de-aging stuff.

Haha yeah young rdj looked pretty bad I thought

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Dan Didio posted:

why don't you tell that to poor Mr Beck's face

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

The deaging in Ant Man looked like they smeared his face with Vaseline.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Civil War is straight up bad outside the Spider-Man stuff. I liked it in the theater but rewatched it before Infinity War and found it to be so boring the entire time. Zero stakes and ugly as hell.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh we're doing that thing where we act cool by hating the popular stuff again?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Unmature posted:

Civil War is straight up bad outside the Spider-Man stuff. I liked it in the theater but rewatched it before Infinity War and found it to be so boring the entire time. Zero stakes and ugly as hell.

:thunk:

https://twitter.com/ManaByte/status/1158156123477688320

I don't even know how accurate this rumor is but put Giancarlo Esposito in everything.

The Boys spoiler
Surprised to see him show up for a cameo in that show, I assume that that character has a bigger presences in s2 because he's kind of a big name for a walkon

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Unmature posted:

It’s a masterpiece compared to the comic run

I think it’s great just the way that Zemo’s plan slowly evolves over the film until you get that final confrontation. That and the scene where T’Challa finds Zemo about to kill himself

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The "stakes" are Bucky's life. Ultimately the thesis of the movie is that the political is really the personal. Steve does some thinking about registration and how the Avengers should function and other high-level problems, but in the end he tosses all that aside because none of it is really important to him that way Bucky (and, to a much smaller degree, Wanda) are. Similarly, Tony's arguments are all just justifications, because what he really wants is a support structure that can replace his own terrible, terrible judgment.

EDIT: Also, yeah, they did a superb job of introducing Peter Parker and T'Challa and making people really want to see movies about them.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

zoux posted:

:thunk:

https://twitter.com/ManaByte/status/1158156123477688320

I don't even know how accurate this rumor is but put Giancarlo Esposito in everything.

The Boys spoiler
Surprised to see him show up for a cameo in that show, I assume that that character has a bigger presences in s2 because he's kind of a big name for a walkon

He and Jarred Harris are two people I'd love to see in the MCU. I'm trying to think of roles though.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Oh we're doing that thing where we act cool by hating the popular stuff again?

I won't say that it's bad per se, but i do think that's it's aged the poorest of maybe any of the Marvel movies, in that so much of that movie's runtime is doing nothing but heavy lifting to set up the pieces of other, better Marvel movies.

I tried to watch it the other day and kept thinking, "Why am I not just watching Black Panther, Spider-man, or Avengers instead?"

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

He and Jarred Harris are two people I'd love to see in the MCU. I'm trying to think of roles though.

Whistler and Deacon Frost in B L A D E

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Dr Doom for either of them. Though if they go with a young Richards it might not work. I think they were suppose to be around the same age.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Please don't put the idea of Jared Harris as Doom in my head, why make me feel like that when it's too perfect to happen

Lol the replies to this tweet

https://twitter.com/ScarletCrusade3/status/1158435349196103685

Also, apparently there are a lot of people pissed off about Thor Ragnarok

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The idea that Civil War only exists to lead to Black Panther or Spider-Man is insane. That's like saying Empire Strikes Back only exists to lead to Return of the Jedi.