Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

hailthefish posted:

Depends. Would the temporary porch actually be temporary or are you like me and 'temporary' actually means 'never got around to finishing it so it's effectively permanent'?

Untrustable posted:

Ah. I see we are the same person.

Weird, I don't remember making either of these posts...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Tempermanent

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

was just watching some diy videos on youtube and the guy went on a whole rant about how 2x4's aren't actually 2x4. I had a hearty :lol:

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Ghostnuke posted:

was just watching some diy videos on youtube and the guy went on a whole rant about how 2x4's aren't actually 2x4. I had a hearty :lol:

He better not measure how much actual beer is served in a US 'pint' glass.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Hey guys, I heard that they fill chip bags with air to stop the chips turning into dust during shipping to screw you over!

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Ghostnuke posted:

Home Depot, Menards face lawsuits over lumber size description

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

It’s been two years. Did they lose? I’m sure they lost, right?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
These things don't actually go to court, right? HD & Menards just cuts them a $10,000 check (most of which goes to the lawyers) without admitting fault and then the news outlets don't follow up since there's no attention grabbing headline.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Is there a thread for DIY solar panel and battery systems? There's a guy on CL locally selling a few panels leftover from a pro install that add up to 1 kWh, which i am certain i can mount on my garage roof relatively easily and should get about 5-7 hours a day of direct sunlight. According to all the free calculations i can find, it should defray about 40% of my power bill on average and pay for itself in 7 years at most.

I mainly have questions related to output voltages and possibly getting a used Nissan Leaf electric car for 'free' short range driving.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

red19fire posted:

Is there a thread for DIY solar panel and battery systems? There's a guy on CL locally selling a few panels leftover from a pro install that add up to 1 kWh, which i am certain i can mount on my garage roof relatively easily and should get about 5-7 hours a day of direct sunlight. According to all the free calculations i can find, it should defray about 40% of my power bill on average and pay for itself in 7 years at most.

I mainly have questions related to output voltages and possibly getting a used Nissan Leaf electric car for 'free' short range driving.

I have some co-workers who DIYd a solar install on two of their homes. I'm definitely curious to read more about how to do it and what the costs are.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Nevets posted:

These things don't actually go to court, right? HD & Menards just cuts them a $10,000 check (most of which goes to the lawyers) without admitting fault and then the news outlets don't follow up since there's no attention grabbing headline.

Yeah, it was dismissed by a judge very promptly. "Nominal" dimensions being a US Department of Commerce recognized term (complete with a standard of a "2x4" measuring at least 1-1/2in x 3-1/2in) kind of put the nail in the coffin there.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

We've got a wood deck off the back of the house that's about 2 feet off the ground. The kids got a new soccer ball so guess where it ends up every 15 minutes. My wife wants me to put up something to keep the balls (as well as squirrels, rabbits, and birds) out of there. I want to put up lattice between the support posts, but is it going to be a problem if I'm using wood lattice and it's touching dirt? There's also a drop off to the rest of the backyard that i'd like to put some stairs in using those stringers you can get at home depot. I've done this before but not onto dirt, so same question.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

It's (to my knowledge) fine, just make sure the wood is pressure treated.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Yeah it'll last 5-10 years, not the 15-20 the rest of the wood will, otherwise fine.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

they also make vinyl (I guess? pvc maybe?) lattice. that's what I've got.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Tempermanent

please don’t doxx my lifestyle

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Came home today and found a weird smell, eventually figured out that the trap in a basement floor drain was dry and letting in sewer gas.

So i guess dumping some water down it every few months is A Thing I Do Now

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

esquilax posted:

Came home today and found a weird smell, eventually figured out that the trap in a basement floor drain was dry and letting in sewer gas.

So i guess dumping some water down it every few months is A Thing I Do Now

You can pour a little mineral oil in after the water and it’ll sit on top to stop evaporation.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

So instead of using the cinder blocks I have to build a tempermanent porch, I went and bought hundreds of dollars worth of lumber to build a deck. In for a penny, etc..

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That's a lot of effort when a picnic table and a bench would do.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Hubis posted:

Bingo

Where it's not hot all the time (south, Southwest) it's usually cool (Mid-Atlantic) or cold (northeast and Midwest) in the winter and often warm enough to require or at least really appreciate air conditioning (mid Atlantic and Midwest)

I've found that quite a few Europeans don't realize what a variation in temperatures the US gets even in the same region over a year. In my area (northeast) the summers can be up in the 90s F (30s C) and the winters can get down to below 0f (-17 C) and that's not counting the highs and lows I've seen in my area. There have been over 100F (38C) for highs and I've seen -20F (-29C) for lows. That doesn't even begin to account for humidity. Summers in the northeast are humid.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

beep-beep car is go posted:

I've found that quite a few Europeans don't realize what a variation in temperatures the US gets even in the same region over a year. In my area (northeast) the summers can be up in the 90s F (30s C) and the winters can get down to below 0f (-17 C) and that's not counting the highs and lows I've seen in my area. There have been over 100F (38C) for highs and I've seen -20F (-29C) for lows. That doesn't even begin to account for humidity. Summers in the northeast are humid.

Yeah. Something I was taught long ago is that if global warming (we still called it that back then) melted the northern ice cap enough the meltwater could push the gulf stream away, which is a major thing that keeps the UK from turning into NYC, climate-wise.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Yep. I bought this house in Nov of last year and we've already been down to around -8F and up to 101F since we've moved in.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

I get it. I’ve long understood that 90% of the country is basically unliveable without air con and/or serious infrastructure to deal with snow and ice.

Unfortunately the insistence on people living in those places means that you’re burning 5-10x the amount of energy per household compared to Europeans.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

wooger posted:

Unfortunately the insistence on people living in those places means that you’re burning 5-10x the amount of energy per household compared to Europeans.

Well, we've been running the experiment where everybody buys houses in Northern California (with a no-heat/no-AC Mediterranean climate), and that doesn't seem to be working out all that well.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

B-Nasty posted:

Well, we've been running the experiment where everybody buys houses in Northern California (with a no-heat/no-AC Mediterranean climate), and that doesn't seem to be working out all that well.

I think the answer is abandoning the whole county and giving it back to the indigenous peoples.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

wooger posted:

I get it. I’ve long understood that 90% of the country is basically unliveable without air con and/or serious infrastructure to deal with snow and ice.

Look, it was Europeans that thought living in these places was a good idea to begin with!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Well we're getting more extreme weather recently too. In the recent few years, I've had -30 to +34 celcius. But the average temp in summer here is below 20C.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Hubis posted:

Look, it was Europeans that thought living in these places was a good idea to begin with!

The Dutch are a strange people.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Jaded Burnout posted:

The Dutch are a strange people.

Well, to tell the family secret, my grandmother was Dutch.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah my fathers side is Dutch...

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

How dumb would it be to do this with my double door driveway gate? I figure I could put the actual center of the gate (and the latch) where the red line is, and then extend the planks various lengths into the other gate. It would mean that you'd need to open and close them in a specific order, but other than that, would it be a terribly bad idea?

In the interest in sharing, here's my mid-process driveway gate beams. 6x6, each about 4' deep with a load of gravel underneath. Please do not tell me there's anything wrong with what I've done because they are now encased in 1,000 lbs of concrete each and there is absolutely no way either of them is moving a hair's breadth.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

The Wonder Weapon posted:

How dumb would it be to do this with my double door driveway gate? I figure I could put the actual center of the gate (and the latch) where the red line is, and then extend the planks various lengths into the other gate. It would mean that you'd need to open and close them in a specific order, but other than that, would it be a terribly bad idea?

In the interest in sharing, here's my mid-process driveway gate beams. 6x6, each about 4' deep with a load of gravel underneath. Please do not tell me there's anything wrong with what I've done because they are now encased in 1,000 lbs of concrete each and there is absolutely no way either of them is moving a hair's breadth.

Those posts are pressure treated right?

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

Those posts are pressure treated right?

what did I jUST SAY

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

You can actually see they are PT vs the plain naked wood bracing them while the concrete dries. But perhaps this was a joke all along.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The Wonder Weapon posted:

You've put them in upside down

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I bought the lumber for the deck/porch thing. I dug a five foot hole to sink a high line pole in. Now my great grandpa is trying to convince me that I should wall over the front door and CUT A BRAND NEW FRONT DOOR closer to the middle of the trailer. He's...he's not wrong. It would look better. I'm considering making a thread to chronicle my dumb rear end renovating this $3,000 trailer into a liveable home in the quest to be willed the untouched (other than where the trailer is) 80 acres of land. It's a long story but the gist is if I get this place fixed and powered and plumbed I will get 80 acres of pristine land.

Current issues include: everything all the time forever.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Untrustable posted:

I bought the lumber for the deck/porch thing. I dug a five foot hole to sink a high line pole in. Now my great grandpa is trying to convince me that I should wall over the front door and CUT A BRAND NEW FRONT DOOR closer to the middle of the trailer. He's...he's not wrong. It would look better. I'm considering making a thread to chronicle my dumb rear end renovating this $3,000 trailer into a liveable home in the quest to be willed the untouched (other than where the trailer is) 80 acres of land. It's a long story but the gist is if I get this place fixed and powered and plumbed I will get 80 acres of pristine land.

Current issues include: everything all the time forever.

Where are the 80 acres

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

git that land, boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Are they on the moon? I got stung by this before. Those certificates are worth nothing. :argh: