Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Legend of the Lake :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BlondRobin posted:

I've got a question for Fire Emblem people: Three Houses seems to be being pretty well received, but I got turned off of Fates when I was playing it by the difficulty bifurcation. Specifically, I played Hard for a lot of levels and found it aggravating but doable with a lot of extremely over-specialized enemy setups (every archer has counterattack, here's a cave with ninjas who all have... some dumb special skill that I forget).

I gave up at the fight with the Archer kid on a massive, open map where it was impossible to manage enemy movement and the enemies were wall-to-wall gimmick rules characters. I never even got up to the building he was on.

Then when I turned the difficulty down, it was completely trivial to the point of being literally no fun at all to play.

How does Three Houses difficulty compare, and how much of the difficulty is 'this map is hard' vs. 'every enemy on this map is a min-maxed set of abilities that requires One Dumb Trick to deal with'? I thought Awakening was fun when I played it, which I'm pretty sure I played on hard. I like the tactical gameplay, but I'm not good enough to keep up with the game when it really wants to get Hard, and Fates didn't really have a good middle ground.
This game is way less about enemy abilities and buffs/debuffs and way more managing small groups of enemies with high stats. Also play on hard, normal is insanely easy.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

You get cool armour.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Man I am surprised Solon and Kronya went down so quickly.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'm still real early on (just post-chapter 2, Deer), but is there an issue with letting Byleth drift towards a particular weapon or will they want to change it up in battle on top of instructor lessons for the sake of recruitment? Also same for class progression in general I guess, is focusing on other class reqs during instruction enough, or do I want people to be typically carrying more than one weapon type?

Motto fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 2, 2019

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Man I am surprised Solon and Kronya went down so quickly.

gently caress Kronya and her insane bullshit avoid and AS though

Like I’m certain she’d have killed multiple units if I didn’t blow her up with a 70 hit Resonant Thunder

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Doing a timeskip paralouge for Claude, the boss is a Dragon. I had Flayn attack the dragon and he immediately confirms she's Saint Cethleann, and she instantly shot back "SHUT UP UNCLE!". Just casually confirming this poo poo in a side mission which she wasn't even involved in during the pre-mission story scene, only when she is deployed and engages the boss.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Carlosologist posted:

Legend of the Lake :stare:

It was touch and go towards the end for me but the highlight was chatting up the boss who seemed as though he was doing it just for Leonie.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Just gonna let Lorenz keep his paralogue relic staff, even if Lysithea could get more use out of it. Seems weird lending out a family heirloom to someone randomly like that.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Speaking of Lysithea, there are some weird qualities about her that make me suspect she was both one of the first characters designed and that she was done when they were trying to make it so each character seamlessly fit within the houses if you poached them, simply because she's adjacent to the plot so much.

In the Golden Deer route she's, well, a GD character nothing surprising there.
In Blue Lions Dimitri (apparently) hides away in her family's lands for the skip which, at that point, basically consists of herself and her parents.
In the Black Eagles she is, of course, the prototype for what Edelgard went through in the first place and the one thoroughly menaced by team Slither, as well as being immediately on board with team Edel once she learns her scheme for somewhat obvious reasons. Also Edel babies and tries to appease her because she's in the know and it's cute.

In the end she isn't a lord character so she doesn't get plot time or anything, but there's still enough set up that makes IntSys/Koei were going to be a lot more engrossing and ambitious and ultimately reeled it in.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Hunt11 posted:

It was touch and go towards the end for me but the highlight was chatting up the boss who seemed as though he was doing it just for Leonie.

I had to back out because I wasn't able to break all nine of his shields in time and ran out of gambits. gonna come back before the end of the game though

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

I forged an Iron Bow into a Killer Bow and it's made Ashe into an absolute monster :stare: I was totally unprepared for the Death Knight popping up in Chapter 8 and only had him near where that was, but he was still able to one-shot one of the underlings and take his fancy lance.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Motto posted:

I'm still real early on (just post-chapter 2, Deer), but is there an issue with letting Byleth drift towards a particular weapon or will they want to charge it up in battle on top of instructor lessons for the sake of recruitment? Also same for class progression in general I guess, is focusing on other class reqs during instruction enough, or do I want people to be typically carrying more than one weapon type?

The weapon triangle doesn't exist for the most part, so go hog wild. Most characters have a unique weapon, so it might get a little awkward if they don't have the weapon ranks to use it well, but you're not going to use unique weapons a whole ton anyway.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Axle_Stukov posted:

Doing a timeskip paralouge for Claude, the boss is a Dragon. I had Flayn attack the dragon and he immediately confirms she's Saint Cethleann, and she instantly shot back "SHUT UP UNCLE!". Just casually confirming this poo poo in a side mission which she wasn't even involved in during the pre-mission story scene, only when she is deployed and engages the boss.
yeah this is the kind of poo poo that owns and good video games do, im so happy there's actual backstory and stuff and side characters have importance to the world that isnt necessarily the focus of the plot

theres a huge plotdump that only exists in a paralogue that you need both caspar and mercedes to be in your house post-timeskip for, it owns so much. letting this game have actual depth instead of everything being spoonfed is my favorite thing about it

Endorph fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 2, 2019

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Chocolate Bunny posted:

Hubert is the Evil Chancellor/Vizier except he's actually loyal to his ruler and it owns. Hubert's great.

I know, right? It's the best. Like, his C-rank support with Byleth is basically him subtlely threatening to have you killed if you gently caress with Edelgard. He's like a medieval spymaster. I bet he secretly enjoys it, too.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Deified Data posted:

Just gonna let Lorenz keep his paralogue relic staff, even if Lysithea could get more use out of it. Seems weird lending out a family heirloom to someone randomly like that.

Hey, she's got the major version of his crest--he only has the minor one. I think he'd be fine with her using it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i just paired lysithea and lorenz up to justify giving it to her

happy marriage, heres my death staff

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
For anyone wanting to know about base stat bonuses when passing class exams, you can check in-game too. In the Certifications menu, pick a character, go to the class you want to know about, ZL/ZR across to the stat changes, then hit X to look at each stat individually. You'll see both the normal class bonuses and base stat increases for that character.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Radio Free Kobold posted:

I know, right? It's the best. Like, his C-rank support with Byleth is basically him subtlely threatening to have you killed if you gently caress with Edelgard. He's like a medieval spymaster. I bet he secretly enjoys it, too.

I repeat my previous statement regarding his characterization. Hubert is the Soren to Edelgard's Ike. But whereas Ike was basically this big loveable lug who (didn't remember) have any trauma, but was otherwise trying to do his best, ergo, Soren's harshness was tempered, Edelgard is.. not Ike. She's so very much not Ike. And Hubert is essentially "Soren for someone who has way more issues but also ambition."

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Endorph posted:

yeah this is the kind of poo poo that owns and good video games do, im so happy there's actual backstory and stuff and side characters have importance to the world that isnt necessarily the focus of the plot

theres a huge plotdump that only exists in a paralogue that you need both caspar and mercedes to be in your house post-timeskip for, it owns so much. letting this game have actual depth instead of everything being spoonfed is my favorite thing about it

There's something similar with Lysithea and Linhardt. Lysithea says nothing until the Byleth B support, and it's hinted at during Edelgard's C support with her, but Linhard's C support is basically 'sup Lys why you got two Crests?'. Which makes sense, since he studies the drat things so much!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I died so many times in the first battle royale house mission, because I forgot how hard it is to kill a unit

Nyarlabaoth
Jul 12, 2017

How feasible it is to reach flying S+ for the immunity skill? The way skill levels scale it seems pretty dire. I wanted to make Byleth a wyvern lord but maybe I should stick to characters that have a flying strength.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Nyarlabaoth posted:

How feasible it is to reach flying S+ for the immunity skill? The way skill levels scale it seems pretty dire. I wanted to make Byleth a wyvern lord but maybe I should stick to characters that have a flying strength.

I had Lindhardt focused on Faith exclusively almost the entire game and he only hit S+ like three maps before the end. Flying should be slightly easier since you'd have the group chore but S+s are not the expected standard.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Nyarlabaoth posted:

Making Byleth get S rank is incredibly difficult, as you don't get passive teaching skill bonuses cuz, uh, you're the teacher, it'll all come from combat and faculty training.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Nyarlabaoth posted:

Depends on what route, as personally edelguard's route gives you an item that gives flier immunity not too far in after part 2 begins.

Nyarlabaoth
Jul 12, 2017

Tae posted:

Depends on what route, as personally edelguard's route gives you an item that gives flier immunity not too far in after part 2 begins.

Ok this works too, and I think skill levels can be carried over into NG+ so I could reach S+ then. Black Eagles first it is. Thanks!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Tae posted:

I got two of those in Edelgard's route.

But frankly you can just dismount at any time anyway, so it's not a big deal.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Endorph posted:

This game is way less about enemy abilities and buffs/debuffs and way more managing small groups of enemies with high stats. Also play on hard, normal is insanely easy.

Cool, sounds like it should be right up my alley. Appreciated!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Endorph posted:

I guess if you do Deer he actually gets characterized more to not be an utter bastard? Recruiting him just for the staff he comes off as a massive creep and as such is the character I loathe the most.

His support with you basically goes
C - Lorenz: Oh could the girls at this school not throw themselves upon me for I am truly the most desirable.
Byleth: You're being a creep and making them uncomfortable, stop
Lorenz: No one could be made uncomfortable by me! These accusations are false!
B - Byleth: So you're still being a creep and really need to loving stop
Lorenz: This is a conspiracy against me, I swear! (while revealing just how much of a creep he is)

So yeah gently caress him.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Eimi posted:

I guess if you do Deer he actually gets characterized more to not be an utter bastard? Recruiting him just for the staff he comes off as a massive creep and as such is the character I loathe the most.

His support with you basically goes
C - Lorenz: Oh could the girls at this school not throw themselves upon me for I am truly the most desirable.
Byleth: You're being a creep and making them uncomfortable, stop
Lorenz: No one could be made uncomfortable by me! These accusations are false!
B - Byleth: So you're still being a creep and really need to loving stop
Lorenz: This is a conspiracy against me, I swear! (while revealing just how much of a creep he is)

So yeah gently caress him.

he's not a really a creep, he just flirts with all the noble women as if the school was a tindr app with an air of incredible arrogance

which could be creepy I guess but it's not really meant to be, he's just full of himself

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
Is there a secret / guide to gardening? I saw a tidbit of info that you could grow a stat boosting item by doing flower combinations, but I can't find any other sources or details.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

OddObserver posted:

Also provides some abilities as part of the class, bonusee to particular skills experience, controls whether you can use magic or not. Might also provide some spells independent of Faith/Reason but I am confused as to details.

Yes each spellcasting class has a Spell native to it. This can stack if your character naturally knows the spell.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Golden Deer timeskip spoilers Uh the bad guys have missles. Like actual rocket propelled missles, what the gently caress is going on this isn't Advance Wars.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Lowkey best part of Three Houses is finally having bars for your stats again so you can gauge how far along they are

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
does anything ever come of (last BE chapter before time skip plot spoilers) jeritza and the death knight? there seem to be a lot of hints that jeritza wasnt actually him, but he never shows up again and even when the death knight joins you with edelgard no comment is made of him

makes me feel like that plot thread was cut or maybe they're saving it for dlc

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Could everyone please try to mark all spoilers with which House you're talking about? Even for things that you assume are plot neutral (which they may not be), it can be difficult for readers to tell if it's safe to mouse over the spoiler text.

Most people have been good about it, but you still see a few unclear spoiler blocks every so often.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Endorph posted:

wait, what is it? i had caspar and mercedes in my house but never got a paralogue for either (beagles chaos route)

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Raserys posted:

does anything ever come of (last BE chapter before time skip plot spoilers) jeritza and the death knight? there seem to be a lot of hints that jeritza wasnt actually him, but he never shows up again and even when the death knight joins you with edelgard no comment is made of him

makes me feel like that plot thread was cut or maybe they're saving it for dlc

In regards to your spoiler and identities Jeritza is the Death Knight, but this is only revealed in a Paralogue with Mercedes. Whom he's the older brother of.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Onmi posted:

In regards to your spoiler and identities Jeritza is the Death Knight, but this is only revealed in a Paralogue with Mercedes. Whom he's the older brother of.

Clarste posted:

Could everyone please try to mark all spoilers with which House you're talking about? Even for things that you assume are plot neutral (which they may not be), it can be difficult for readers to tell if it's safe to mouse over the spoiler text.

Most people have been good about it, but you still see a few unclear spoiler blocks every so often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Endorph posted:

Why do you have to punish Lysithea so harshly?