Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

do you guys really not know that emoji [the specific set of icons that became the standard and eventually rolled into unicode] started in japan and that's why they're called that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

qirex posted:

do you guys really not know that emoji [the specific set of icons that became the standard and eventually rolled into unicode] started in japan and that's why they're called that

There called “Smilies”, OP?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Schadenboner posted:

There called “Smilies”, OP?

smilies are textual

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

deliberate obtusion is an acceptable answer, just wanted to make sure

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I can't tell if that's directed at me or schadenboner lol

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

qirex posted:

I will be the big man and admit I did not know that the Japanese emoticon set is what was incorporated into Unicode and why they are called emoji. thank you

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
When you realize you're posting with kids.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

qirex posted:

yeah, that's why we have scat themed emoji

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

microsoft is cool again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSS5SKs4UA0

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

desperate and sad, just another day at ms marketing

pram
Jun 10, 2001

the surface laptop is baffling to me because, unlike the other surface devices, its built like absolute poo poo. even ignoring the carpet. $200 chromebook quality, and yet somehow extremely expensive

go to best buy or something and try it out. its probably the flimsiest laptop ive seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSR0zChy8b4&t=62s

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

do they still sell the surface pro carpet ediition lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

pram posted:

the surface laptop is baffling to me because, unlike the other surface devices, its built like absolute poo poo. even ignoring the carpet. $200 chromebook quality, and yet somehow extremely expensive

go to best buy or something and try it out. its probably the flimsiest laptop ive seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSR0zChy8b4&t=62s

right, so you get where i'm coming from when i say it is also the best "surface" branded portable device

think about that

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
why do emojis have skin tone modifiers? like what possible good could come from that

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

hooooo boy

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

DELETE CASCADE posted:

why do emojis have skin tone modifiers? like what possible good could come from that

so, uh, what skin tone should the emojis use? i mean, if there's only one

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DELETE CASCADE posted:

because some people don't want everyone to think they are from springfield when they display their emotions

e:

infernal machines posted:

so, uh, what skin tone should the emojis use? i mean, if there's only one

as far as i'm aware, default is yellow (as in, simpsons) from virtually every vendor (though it may or may not be listed in the spec), but that's certainly close enough to white to be problematic

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
the default yellow one that doesn't look like anybody except homer simpson works for me

e: gently caress

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

DELETE CASCADE posted:

the default yellow one that doesn't look like anybody except homer simpson works for me

e: gently caress

are you by any chance a white person?

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
Fine make it blue

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

DELETE CASCADE posted:

av/poster combo

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Janitor Prime posted:

Fine make it blue

are you by chance a believer in the healing power of colloidal silver

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Vomik posted:

are you by chance a believer in the healing power of colloidal silver

no, but can I subscribe to your newsletter?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

as far as i'm aware, default is yellow (as in, simpsons) from virtually every vendor (though it may or may not be listed in the spec), but that's certainly close enough to white to be problematic

referring to the original 1963 have a nice day smiley face i think the goal was to be legible while avoiding western cultural connotations having to do with color i.e. green=sick blue=sad red=angry

theres only so many distinct colors and if youre trying to maintain high contrast you quickly get down to yellows and oranges

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

that actually makes a lot of sense! i do wonder how many hilarious miscommunications have come out of leaving actual emoji art up to vendors

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

for the longest time the iOS and android gun emojis faced different directions

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Pinterest Mom posted:

for the longest time the iOS and android gun emojis faced different directions
iirc they looked very different too (one was a silly scifi raygun, the other was a realistic automatic pistol)

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

they used to be realistic guns, but everybody switched to ray guns to prevent 👦🏾💥🔫👮🏻‍♂️ from making sense because they’re cowards

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

pseudorandom name posted:

they used to be realistic guns, but everybody switched to ray guns to prevent 👦🏾💥🔫👮🏻‍♂️ from making sense because they’re cowards

because they're pragmatic and realize the media and political systems will blame their emoticons for ongoing gun violence in the USA. it's a cheap and very dumb way to avoid problems but apple also tried to virtue signal with it and that was dumb as hell

CNN: GUN EMOJI? SHOOTER SENT THREATS USING THIS EMOJI ON IMESSAGE.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

infernal machines posted:

right, so you get where i'm coming from when i say it is also the best "surface" branded portable device

think about that

I am soory you seem to not understand Surface Pro and Book glory

perhaps allah will be merciful and stop confounding you from the right path.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

SRQ posted:

because they're pragmatic and realize the media and political systems will blame their emoticons for ongoing gun violence in the USA. it's a cheap and very dumb way to avoid problems but apple also tried to virtue signal with it and that was dumb as hell

CNN: GUN EMOJI? SHOOTER SENT THREATS USING THIS EMOJI ON IMESSAGE.

thanks for your commentary on virtue signaling, could you perhaps talk about about SJWs and forced diversity?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

DELETE CASCADE posted:

so I can choose the right shade of green/brown for the poop emoji

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

also stop being a goddamn racist

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

akadajet posted:

so I can choose the right shade of green/brown for the poop emoji

hmm, there are five Fitzpatrick emoji modifiers and seven categories on the Bristol stool scale

I propose merging Bristol 3 & 4 and Bristol 5 & 6 when applying the Fitzpatrick modifiers to the poo emoji

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

just use the food emojis as bristol modifiers imo

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

pseudorandom name posted:

thanks for your commentary on virtue signaling, could you perhaps talk about about SJWs and forced diversity?

:chloe:

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

fortunately you can use regex to prevent undesirable skin tones poop, peach, and eggplant emojis in email/chat. this will only ever be used for good and never evil. also I think they used to be called emoticons? wait, I guess those are textual

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

"virtue signaling" is a right wing term

mystes
May 31, 2006

Krankenstyle posted:

"virtue signaling" is a right wing term
Unfortunately it's a little late to stop it now because everyone seems to be using it. At least it's not quite as bad as the term "political correctness" in terms of begging the question, because there's nothing that inherently makes "virtue signaling" only describe the left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
It started as a left-wing criticism of vacuous signifiers being presented as activism, then the right-wing reappropriated it for themselves about 2 seconds later, and then normies picked it up.