Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Argue posted:

Sure, that sounds reasonable! I'll do that first thing tomorrow before starting on a new level.

I should admit that I'm sensitive to this because several times now I've gotten "collect all the coins in the stage" levels where some of them were in 10-coin blocks, and if you miss that it's a multi-block by even a second then you can't finish the level. Others may disagree. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
What’s the best way to gain speed quickly from a standstill (specifically start of course)? I keep finding myself 0.010 away from world records which is weird on flat short stages with no stops, slopes, belts, or snakes.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

NofrikinfuN posted:

lol I tuned in as she was queueing it up and thought "I swear I've seen that title" when I caught your profile off to the side. Looks like you were at #1 there!

I'll have to go back to see what she filtered on to find it. That course has had quite a day as it also just got 5000 plays which got me the kuribo shoe avatar part.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

J-Spot posted:

Nice easy romp which is the perfect for a clear condition level. Apologies if I tanked your clear rate trying to speed run it.

No problem, it's actually perfect:

Spellman
May 31, 2011

OneMoreTime posted:

I saw the description and I became pretty excited!

I’ll be playing the stages in order so you might want to show up a little later if you just want to catch your level, or stick around because we usually have a pretty cool group in chat! I’ll also do my best to timestamp each level so people can find where their levels are later.

Very cool, based twitch

I'll be hovering for sure

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

J-Spot posted:

I'll have to go back to see what she filtered on to find it. That course has had quite a day as it also just got 5000 plays which got me the kuribo shoe avatar part.

Congrats! You are getting to be quite the Mario celebrity!

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I promise I'll play some goon levels soon, either tonight or tomorrow, and post some feedback. I haven't had too much time to play the last few days, but I did get to spend a bit of time putting together a new level.

This one has a bit of a theme. Help Mario get rid of the pesky Boos that have invaded his backyard!

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Volte posted:

I promise I'll play some goon levels soon, either tonight or tomorrow, and post some feedback. I haven't had too much time to play the last few days, but I did get to spend a bit of time putting together a new level.

This one has a bit of a theme. Help Mario get rid of the pesky Boos that have invaded his backyard!

This was a really interesting course! I like that the start was right next to the end. That was really intriguing. There were plenty of power-ups which helped me, as a really unskilled player, get quite far. But I got to the part with the thwomp and the donut blocks and I couldn't get any further. The donut blocks blocked the thwomp from breaking through the last level of the brick blocks. I don't know if that was intended; it probably was, but I'm hopeless at solving puzzles. So I got that far and got stuck, then after sitting there trying different things for a bit I tried to backtrack to a different route and died. Since it's a level of decent length and it can't have a checkpoint, I didn't feel like doing everything again. But I still gave it a like. I'm just bad at Mario.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Volte posted:

Booby gone, huh? :lol:

I like it. It was neat to see so many different paths, that makes it fun to try and speed run.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Okay, took a break and made my jam level. Not too crazy, though there's a few mean tricks (not poo poo like soft locking the player or knocking them off their jumps with invisible blocks, just little twists).

Crumbling Castle
3X7-15J-WNF

I thought about making this super elaborate, but when I'm struggling to justify spending a few hours making a stage I couldn't bring myself to actually build some machines.

I'll probably play all of the submitted jam levels so far for this week later on, assuming I can get a few more things done.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Aug 2, 2019

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

The Lobster posted:

This was a really interesting course! I like that the start was right next to the end. That was really intriguing. There were plenty of power-ups which helped me, as a really unskilled player, get quite far. But I got to the part with the thwomp and the donut blocks and I couldn't get any further. The donut blocks blocked the thwomp from breaking through the last level of the brick blocks. I don't know if that was intended; it probably was, but I'm hopeless at solving puzzles. So I got that far and got stuck, then after sitting there trying different things for a bit I tried to backtrack to a different route and died. Since it's a level of decent length and it can't have a checkpoint, I didn't feel like doing everything again. But I still gave it a like. I'm just bad at Mario.
Thanks for the feedback! The Thwomp setup is indeed a puzzle - I put an infinite mushroom in there to encourage experimentation. There is a way to get the Thwomp to break the bottom layer!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I finished up my jam course, but I made a terrible mistake.

The Ultimate Fortress of DOOM!!!: FK9-67Q-Y8G

This level... it can't be beaten. Its impossible. The Fortress built here is just the pinnacle of Mario engineering. Only the strongest warriors and deadliest of traps fill its halls. You probably won't even be able to get inside. Its that perfectly built. Truly this is the strongest fortress that Bowser's army has ever built. In fact, Bowser himself has made it his castle! Not that anyone will get past this impossible gauntlet to reach him.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
GNB-NBP-D5G. What is this level, what is the gimmick here? Like, one time I got 4/5 of the way through the blocks, just getting the mushroom and happening to hop in the right diagonal path upwards. I see there is a door in the upper right path... but it seems nearly impossible to do. Additionally, the world record is 3 seconds... so uhh what??

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

There's a lot of SMB2J/Lost Levels influence in my course design in general, but this is the most Lost Levels-like thing I've made by far.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nightingale's Sawmill

I made this on stream earlier and had fun with it, so I thought I'd upload it and post it in the thread. It's not really connected to a jam or anything theme, just a dumb level with ideas thrown around from chat.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

I finished up my jam course, but I made a terrible mistake.

The Ultimate Fortress of DOOM!!!: FK9-67Q-Y8G

This level... it can't be beaten. Its impossible. The Fortress built here is just the pinnacle of Mario engineering. Only the strongest warriors and deadliest of traps fill its halls. You probably won't even be able to get inside. Its that perfectly built. Truly this is the strongest fortress that Bowser's army has ever built. In fact, Bowser himself has made it his castle! Not that anyone will get past this impossible gauntlet to reach him.

Better call this one the Ultimate Fortress of BROOM, because that's what Bowser's going to need to sweep up all the rubble. (Haha, got 'em!)

Really, though, fun level. It was neat to break through walls, and there were lots of coins to collect, which is nice. I didn't understand the P-switch at the end though. What was that supposed to be for?

Also, how long does it take you all to make levels? I made a level with a similar "castle walls" theme a couple pages ago, and that took me a few hours or more to make, even though it was simpler than your's.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Khanstant posted:

GNB-NBP-D5G. What is this level, what is the gimmick here? Like, one time I got 4/5 of the way through the blocks, just getting the mushroom and happening to hop in the right diagonal path upwards. I see there is a door in the upper right path... but it seems nearly impossible to do. Additionally, the world record is 3 seconds... so uhh what??

I sunk 15 minutes into this and the best I could do was get through the blocks but below the door. I can't do anything consistently.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Going live in 15 minutes with some goon made mario maker levels! Come and join us.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/onemoretimegfsn

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Khanstant posted:

Got it:

https://twitter.com/JeffTMBG/status/1157107013089841159

You can see in the video that I was so stunned when I pulled it off that I fumbled with the pause button twice before finding the button I actually wanted to hit. I should have recorded through the door but it's just the flagpole anyway.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Asema posted:

Nightingale's Sawmill

I made this on stream earlier and had fun with it, so I thought I'd upload it and post it in the thread. It's not really connected to a jam or anything theme, just a dumb level with ideas thrown around from chat.

Fun level. Is the level a reference to something? The title makes it sounds like a horror story or something, but if it is, I'm unfamiliar with it. Also, why would you put a donut block there in the screenshot? Why would you do that to me. Curiousity got the better of me and, well...

Rollersnake posted:

There's a lot of SMB2J/Lost Levels influence in my course design in general, but this is the most Lost Levels-like thing I've made by far.

I have no idea how to beat this level... What on Earth have you done to the flagpole!? Bring it back!

Edit: Got it! That was really clever (and a little mean). Nice design. I've never played Lost Levels; does it do stuff like this?

DorianGravy fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 2, 2019

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

DorianGravy posted:

Better call this one the Ultimate Fortress of BROOM, because that's what Bowser's going to need to sweep up all the rubble. (Haha, got 'em!)

Really, though, fun level. It was neat to break through walls, and there were lots of coins to collect, which is nice. I didn't understand the P-switch at the end though. What was that supposed to be for?

Also, how long does it take you all to make levels? I made a level with a similar "castle walls" theme a couple pages ago, and that took me a few hours or more to make, even though it was simpler than your's.

So, the P-Switch might not make sense depending on how you beat "Bowser". If you fight him without powerups then the P-Switch is a makeshift Axe to collapse the block bridge. It also triggers a bomb-omb to fall and blow up the wall allowing you to escape.

That boss encounter can, in theme with the level though, be broken easily. You can use the big koopa's shell to bust through all the walls right away and skip the whole fight. Or if you have a fire flower you can kill the enemies without issue and leisurely walk to the end. Normally I don't design bosses with such glaring oversights but I felt it was appropriate for the level, and its meant to be more of a joke than a fight anyways.

quote:

Depends on the level, but I'd say on average somewhere between 8-12 hours. I build my courses over several days usually. They take a long time, but I experiment with a lot of stuff and rarely go into a stage with a solid idea of how I want exactly everything to be. Also sometimes I need to scrap huge chunks of it if I feel they aren't up to snuff.

I have a lot of uncompleted and scrapped levels too. The thing about making a level for me is if I don't feel super attached to it, I usually toss it. It sucks to give up on hours of work but if I'm not invested in my level then how can I expect a player too be?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Khanstant posted:

After a certain number of tries on a level, or after completing it, I'd love to be able to unlock the creator's course-clear run so I can see how the level is meant to be done.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

So, the P-Switch might not make sense depending on how you beat "Bowser". If you fight him without powerups then the P-Switch is a makeshift Axe to collapse the block bridge. It also triggers a bomb-omb to fall and blow up the wall allowing you to escape.

That boss encounter can, in theme with the level though, be broken easily. You can use the big koopa's shell to bust through all the walls right away and skip the whole fight. Or if you have a fire flower you can kill the enemies without issue and leisurely walk to the end. Normally I don't design bosses with such glaring oversights but I felt it was appropriate for the level, and its meant to be more of a joke than a fight anyways.

Yeah, I just took some damage to hit the big koopa, then used his shell to get through.

Internet Kraken posted:

Depends on the level, but I'd say on average somewhere between 8-12 hours. I build my courses over several days usually. They take a long time, but I experiment with a lot of stuff and rarely go into a stage with a solid idea of how I want exactly everything to be. Also sometimes I need to scrap huge chunks of it if I feel they aren't up to snuff.

I have a lot of uncompleted and scrapped levels too. The thing about making a level for me is if I don't feel super attached to it, I usually toss it. It sucks to give up on hours of work but if I'm not invested in my level then how can I expect a player too be?

Ok, that makes me feel a little bit better. I probably spend 3-10 hours on mine, with a lot of play-testing and rethinking challenges, so I would have felt slow if you all are assembling these really elaborate stages in an hour or something.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

emgeejay posted:

No problem, it's actually perfect:

I loved this! I can't for the life of me get this under 18.207, but I'm positive an under 18 is possible.

https://twitter.com/MattSolo734/status/1157115757009915904?s=19

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DorianGravy posted:

Fun level. Is the level a reference to something? The title makes it sounds like a horror story or something, but if it is, I'm unfamiliar with it. Also, why would you put a donut block there in the screenshot? Why would you do that to me. Curiousity got the better of me and, well...

Alan Wake/Stephen King quote

I had no idea what to name it and it's filled with saw's and spooks

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Uh, how do I fix a level? I've edited mine up but I can't just click upload because it already exists on the server. If I try to delete it on course world, it says "Once deleted, courses cannot be restored", which I'm worried means I can't upload the course again with my fixes.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Huxley posted:

I loved this! I can't for the life of me get this under 18.207, but I'm positive an under 18 is possible.

I met your 18.207 and I'm not sure I could do it any faster. Unless there's some benefit to slightly smaller jumps I'm not sure where I could shave anything off. Agreed, though, it's a fun speedrun level!

(I haven't worked out how to get screenshots off my Switch, so to show I'm not just blowing smoke:

Argue posted:

Uh, how do I fix a level? I've edited mine up but I can't just click upload because it already exists on the server. If I try to delete it on course world, it says "Once deleted, courses cannot be restored", which I'm worried means I can't upload the course again with my fixes.

You can upload the course again with your fixes, it'll just have a different code. What they mean is that it's removed from their online database, not that it's cleared from your Switch.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

This is a neat level, really enjoyed it.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Besesoth posted:

(I haven't worked out how to get screenshots off my Switch, so to show I'm not just blowing smoke:

There's some kind of corner clipping possible but I've never looked into it. I thought maybe more bounces might give better angles, but after a dozen more 18.207s in a few different ways, that might just be it. Good runs!

The button on the bottom of the left joycon screenshots, and holding it saves a video of your last 30 seconds of gameplay. From the screenshots tab on the home screen you can edit, clip and either email the file or post it to social media.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Argue posted:

Made a new one; what I'm aiming for (and I hope I communicated this through the level itself) is to either collect all the small coins without "alerting" security, or just take the 3 big ones, which will set off all sorts of things and necessitate a daring escape. The former should be slower but easier, while the latter would more or less require you to keep moving, with few spots of downtime.

I've made the easy path more forgiving (shortened a fire bar, and added a whole 10 coins, so you now only need 120/140 coins instead of 120/130). Course ID is YM4-KF6-DLG

Also lol what the gently caress "The course description contains more than 4 numbers"??? 5 numbers isn't enough to be a phone number or ccn, so what on earth is going on?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Rollersnake posted:

Ha! This was a lot of fun. :) ...and apparently at 6'26"406 I have the record? I don't expect that nonsense to last long.

e: 45"618. Much better. Man, there's even a hint when you get the first super mushroom. Good level, Roller.

e2:

Argue posted:

I've made the easy path more forgiving (shortened a fire bar, and added a whole 10 coins, so you now only need 120/140 coins instead of 120/130). Course ID is YM4-KF6-DLG

Also lol what the gently caress "The course description contains more than 4 numbers"??? 5 numbers isn't enough to be a phone number or ccn, so what on earth is going on?

Some solid tweaks! The Easy route is still challenging without being as unforgiving, and the Hard route is as dangerous as it ever was. (Those loving flying fire cheeps, though. Jesus.)

SneezeOfTheDecade fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Aug 2, 2019

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Argue posted:

I think they're trying to avoid people advertising level codes in the description maybe??? Edit: Or zip codes?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

DorianGravy posted:

Edit: Got it! That was really clever (and a little mean). Nice design. I've never played Lost Levels; does it do stuff like this?

Pretty much. The closest equivalent conceptually is 8-2, which has a loop comprising the main level and sub-level, except you break out of it by finding a vine. The beginning of the stage is similar to A-2. I based the sublevel on the ends of the stages that have the infamous backwards warp zones, which you usually reach by jumping over the flagpole. And once I realized I was going all in on the Lost Levels tropes, I couldn't help but include a few rear end in a top hat invisible blocks with poison mushrooms, though I made sure to give the player a clue to their location—and y'know, not have the player also simultaneously dealing with lakitu, hammer bros, and difficult jumps. (8-3 is That One Level in a game where most of them would qualify by SMB1 standards.)

Basically SMB1 made the rules, and SMB2J bent them in interesting ways while offering much more of a challenge with the same mechanics. Rather than a true sequel, I consider it like an expansion pack that realized the full potential of SMB1's gameplay.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 2, 2019

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Laugh rule:

Bring Your Child To Work Day
508-KFS-28G
MarxSoulT (non-SA)

"As long as Mario and company don't show up, the kids should be fine. Right?"

It's in Normal difficulty, but as I haven't cleared it I can't speak to that. I just enjoyed the gimmick. :)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

DorianGravy posted:

Ok, that makes me feel a little bit better. I probably spend 3-10 hours on mine, with a lot of play-testing and rethinking challenges, so I would have felt slow if you all are assembling these really elaborate stages in an hour or something.

Don't ever feel bad about how long it takes you to do something creative, as long as you keep working on it. People work at all sorts of different paces. Plus Mario Maker is definitely a case where the journey matters just as much as the destination. You can learn a lot messing around with course elements and get inspiration for future projects while working on another.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

The Lobster posted:

I think they're trying to avoid people advertising level codes in the description maybe??? Edit: Or zip codes?

It can't be level codes, i've had levels that were just letters no numbers

Gandor
Apr 22, 2008

Maxxim posted:

Overall: I liked your levels. You definitely lean more towards form over function, the twin mountain level was the only one (decoration wise) that stood out to me. Most (if not all...?) of your levels are too difficult for the general mario maker population. This isn’t really a bad thing, as long as that’s your intention and/or you’re fine with it.

I greatly appreciate all your feedback! I definitely want my levels to be for expert-level players in general, because those are the levels that give me the drive to play them myself. I am okay with a lot of players being unable to complete them. I appreciate the 'gotta go fast' mentality that I should try to accommodate expert-level players more readily -- in fact the Mushroom Traithlon underground section I never even thought of rushing ahead of the chomps, I beat it by staying behind them which made it much more exciting because if you have to worry about them the whole time you actually have a much tighter window at the end. Guess I'm only an expert-nub! I'll try to do more wild things when testing levels before uploading them, that's quite a blunder on my part.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

And that's the stream! Thank you all for joining me tonight, this was a ton of fun as always. I'm going to see how many stages are posted over the weekend and if there are a ton I'll do what I did tonight again (namely, play the more recent levels on stream.)

VOD: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/461305984

Levels played tonight (note, time stamps are estimates)

1.Global Warming! Timestamp: 7:40
By: Adept Nightingale
NW0-QGJ-XVF

2. Breaking Barriers Timestamp: 9:50
By:Sam Faust
B4P-5X8-XVF

3. Magikoopa's Castle Timestamp: 21:30
By:DorianGravy
XPM-VN5-CTF

4. New Power-up Gauntlet Timestamp: 26:30
By: totempoleman
2DM-KQH-RVG

5. A Detour Underground Timestamp: 31:20
By: Schmeichy
VXM-86F-5HF

6. Bounce House Mouse Trounce Timestamp: 35:45
By: Plebian Parasite
WG4 VWX R5G

7. Mystery Cave Timestamp: 42:10
By: END CHEMTRAILS NOW
D9H-5VW-JNG

8. Just Desert Timestamp: 46:15
By: Gnome Enthusiast
YD2-N67-42G

9. Piranha Pit Timestamp: 50:20
By: Adept Nightingale
01D-L13-DXG

10. Mario's Mushroom Factory Timestamp: 54:00
By: ThisIsACoolGuy
D1H-3LD-G2G

11. World 5-Somthing Timestamp: 1:01:00
By: Ziddar
DY5-WQR-KNG

12. Goombas Working OVertime Timestamp: 1:04:10
By: J-Spot
66C-MXR-FGF

13. Hudson Bay Timestamp: 1:07:45
By: Canned Panda
KT2-9C6-FGG

14. Boiling Backup Timestamp: 1:17:30
By: Suspicious Cook
4HJ-7JF-CBG

15. Mass Blast Timestamp: 1:24:50
By: Movie Majick
QXX-02N-SDG

16. Bowser's Discount Rockets Timestamp: 1:32:25
By: Too Shy Guy
LXY-LTW-XHG

17. Four a Change Timestamp: 1:34:25
By: Rollersnake
NHQ-D05-9LG

18. Just Touch 150 Coins!! Timestamp: 1:37:55
By: Jothan
XC6-DPJ-QWG

19. 20 Second Airship Adventure! Timestamp: 1:57:05
By: Huxley
D34-507-4HF

20. Grass Pass Timestamp: 2:04:15
By: Pixeltendo
VG0-J70-CBG

21. Mega Action Robot: M.A.R.I.O. Timestamp: 2:08:30
By: Last Visible Dog
CN5-K4D-9MF

22. Single-Player Verses Timestamp: 2:17:00
By: Besesoth
9W1-585-S5G

23. Maustrials no. 4 Timestamp: 2:23:15
By: Spellman
0H7-QVF-W0G

24. Cardboard Castle Timestamp: 2:40:00
By: Plebian Parasite
HDV-BLN-MPF

25. The Mushroom Triathlon! Timestamp: 2:47:30
By: Gandor
KYG-GC2-HLF

26. A Moral Dilemma Timestamp: 2:57:00
By: The Lobster
M4W-MPV-80G

OneMoreTime fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 2, 2019

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

OneMoreTime posted:

And that's the stream! Thank you all for joining me tonight, this was a ton of fun as always. I'm going to see how many stages are posted over the weekend and if there are a ton I'll do what I did tonight again (namely, play the more recent levels on stream.)

Thanks again for playing my level. It's definitely useful to see other people's experiences with it. And it's great to see other people's levels too! (P.S. It seems like you were planning to post a link above, but I think you forgot.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

OneMoreTime posted:

5. A Detour Underground Timestamp: 31:20
By: Schmeichy
VXM-86F-5HF

Aaaa, that was cool watching you play my level, thanks for streaming. I need to fix that end so that the platform stays there, but glad the on off switch jumps were fun :)

(It's pronounced shh-mikey)