Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

It went nearly 30 minutes, but I don't know of any story beyond that. Kevin Sullivan was head booker at that time.

On the same card, the Renegade experiment finally ended with Diamond Dallas Page beating him for the TV title.

IIRC it was a demand by Hogan to try and expose that the "vanilla midget" types couldn't excite a crowd for a main event amount of time.

Edit: Thinking about Colonel Parker just makes me mad he beat Madusa in the blowoff of their feud, even if by outside interference and cheating. She should've gone over clean. Someone that isn't presented at all as a wrestler onscreen should not be going over a wrestler, regardless of their gender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Rolling Miss Elizabeth into the +1 spot for Flair’s entourage was a real big waste of a manager.

Same with JJ Dillon on knocking on Goldberg’s door duties(tho that was a cool bit of wrestling trivia back in the day)

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Darthemed posted:

Who would the five most noteworthy managers who worked exclusively under WCW be?

As far as I can tell, Harley Race only managed guys in WCW.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Who the gently caress calls it suncream?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Darthemed posted:

Who would the five most noteworthy managers who worked exclusively under WCW be?

I don't think J.J. Dillon was a manager outside of NWA/WCW

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Recently been watching some episodes of WCW Saturday Night from 1992. Not that I didn't know, but it's just kinda crazy that there was a time when Jim Ross, Steve Austin, and Paul Heyman were in WCW, while Ric Flair and Lex Luger were working for McMahon.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

rujasu posted:

Recently been watching some episodes of WCW Saturday Night from 1992. Not that I didn't know, but it's just kinda crazy that there was a time when Jim Ross, Steve Austin, and Paul Heyman were in WCW, while Ric Flair and Lex Luger were working for McMahon.

I was watching WCW Saturday nights from 1993 a few years ago and Sting had a match with Stunning Steve Austin, not even sure if it was the main event. Just thought it was funny that the same match 5 or 6 years later could probably fill a football stadium.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wanna say Stunning Steve and Dustin had some pretty good matches around then, as well.

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

1992 Saturday Night is really fun. Say what you want about Watts, he sure could book a logical TV show and build dudes up.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

here comes the spunk posted:

1992 Saturday Night is really fun. Say what you want about Watts, he sure could book a logical TV show and build dudes up.

I've been watching clips from the Sullivans/Foley vs Nasty Boys feud. Good feud even though most of the people involved stink in the ring except Mick.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
gary spivey? of the psychic companions network? what are you doin' here?!

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Low Desert Punk posted:

gary spivey? of the psychic companions network? what are you doin' here?!

is that the wcw ppv that has missy Hyatt getting chased out of the mens locker room by stan Hansen in tighty whiteys?

bc that's my favorite wcw moment

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

THE YE-TAY IS TALLER THAN THE GIANT

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Check out the fine print of the Superbrawl 2000 poster. WCW teddy bear!

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

Booker T using the big gold belt as a gloryhole is up there with Buff Bagwell duck face and Halloween Havoc 2000s MS Paint font as bad WCW posters

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The next season of Pose is gonna be lit.

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I've been watching clips from the Sullivans/Foley vs Nasty Boys feud. Good feud even though most of the people involved stink in the ring except Mick.

The Nasty Boys were the drizzling shits, but they were alright when they could just brawl around the ring and stiff dudes with shots. Cactus and Sullivan were really the perfect opponents to get something passable out of them.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The early Nitros where the Nastys just did garbage brawling are moments fondly remembered. 90s garbage brawls in general were less about doing harm to the other guy as much as wrecking everything. Like the subway level from Max Payne where you spend more time shooting the walls because its cool as hell.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
What was it like to be at a live show for all those WWF Raws where they had long brawls in the back?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

You were probably drunk outta your head with 10 college buddies so... pretty great

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Halloween Jack posted:

What was it like to be at a live show for all those WWF Raws where they had long brawls in the back?

I never verified it but someone once told me they saw midget matches while the taped brawls were being shown.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Randaconda posted:

I wanna say Stunning Steve and Dustin had some pretty good matches around then, as well.

Yeah, Austin was part of Heyman's "Dangerous Alliance" so he got to have plenty of matches with Dustin, Barry Windham, and Ricky Steamboat.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

An Actual Bear posted:

Booker T using the big gold belt as a gloryhole is up there with Buff Bagwell duck face and Halloween Havoc 2000s MS Paint font as bad WCW posters

If I remember well that wasn't even Booker T, just some random guy.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Numero6 posted:

If I remember well that wasn't even Booker T, just some random guy.

Tough to tell from the back, but he doesn't look like Booker, even though Booker did have short hair then.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

here comes the spunk posted:

Banning moves off the top rope was poo poo, however.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I never got the point of that because it was supposed to get heels heat for going to the top rope, but people pop for top rope moves. There’s tons of other ways to get heat that don’t cripple face flyers

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

I never got the point of that because it was supposed to get heels heat for going to the top rope, but people pop for top rope moves. There’s tons of other ways to get heat that don’t cripple face flyers

The "kayfabe" reason was even dumber: Wrestling's supposed to take place in the ring, so going to the top rope goes against that.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

rujasu posted:

WCW had Mick Foley, Steve Austin, HHH, and Undertaker and didn't know what to do with any of the.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

WCW had Mick Foley, Steve Austin, HHH, and Undertaker and didn't know what to do with any of the.

Books could be filled with people promotions dropped the ball on.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

The worst one they dropped the ball on was Austin because they knew how good he was. He was upper midcard on his way to main event for 2 years before hogan and his buddies came in.

Undertaker and hhh? 2 young guys that knew they could have a better chance elsewhere. I can’t fault wcw for losing them. There’s not a single person on earth that would look at mean mark callus and say he would be hugely popular for the next 30 consecutive years. Even Vince McMahon.

And no one outside hhh would say that he was destined to become one of the biggest stars of the 2000s and playing an not insignificant part in beating wcw.

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

Davros1 posted:

Banning moves off the top rope was poo poo, however.

Oh no doubt, one of the many signs that Watts was way behind the times

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

The American Dream posted:

The worst one they dropped the ball on was Austin because they knew how good he was. He was upper midcard on his way to main event for 2 years before hogan and his buddies came in.

Undertaker and hhh? 2 young guys that knew they could have a better chance elsewhere. I can’t fault wcw for losing them. There’s not a single person on earth that would look at mean mark callus and say he would be hugely popular for the next 30 consecutive years. Even Vince McMahon.

And no one outside hhh would say that he was destined to become one of the biggest stars of the 2000s and playing an not insignificant part in beating wcw.

I would argue the worst wrestler that WCW dropped the ball on was Bret Hart.

He was the recent WWF champion, coming off a huge kayfabe angle, a huge worked angle, and coming in to their company with huge fanfare. But due to internal politics, within a few months, he was relegated to midcard mediocrity.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Remember when Austin was awarded a title by default and within 2 minutes lost it to Jim Duggan?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

BrigadierSensible posted:

I would argue the worst wrestler that WCW dropped the ball on was Bret Hart.

He was the recent WWF champion, coming off a huge kayfabe angle, a huge worked angle, and coming in to their company with huge fanfare. But due to internal politics, within a few months, he was relegated to midcard mediocrity.

Yeah, squandering a known talent is in a whole other league of stupidity than just not realizing what you had IMO.

Then again, which is worse between loving up a superstar due to all the politicking from "the boys" or running a superstar into the ground because they aren't "your" superstar?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I know that WWF were wanting to build to Hart/Hogan at Summerslam 93 and Hogan insisted on putting Yokozuna over instead, do we know if he also helped keep Bret from getting anywhere in WCW?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

I know that WWF were wanting to build to Hart/Hogan at Summerslam 93 and Hogan insisted on putting Yokozuna over instead, do we know if he also helped keep Bret from getting anywhere in WCW?

It's been a while but I think Bret has mentioned in interviews that Hogan was trying to hobble him pretty quickly in WCW. For what that's worth anyway.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

TheKingslayer posted:

It's been a while but I think Bret has mentioned in interviews that Hogan was trying to hobble him pretty quickly in WCW. For what that's worth anyway.

Whilst I am sure it was a lot of that, and indeed a lot of the politics surrounding that. I don't deny that Hogan was very much "ain't nobody taking my spot brother, and I have both the creative control written into my contract, AND the ear of the booker to make sure."

But don't discount pure moronic incompetence on WCW's part. Insomuch as they spend so much money/time/influence to get Bret, but once they have him, they have no idea what to do with him, and are unwilling/unable to even try to shoehorn him into the main event/important storylines. So they just threw him on the pile.

Remember, this company put out a Bret Hart T-Shirt with him standing behind an American flag. So stupidity/laziness is as valid a reason as malice.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
The flag also appears to be pissing maple leaves.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

BrigadierSensible posted:

Remember, this company put out a Bret Hart T-Shirt with him standing behind an American flag. So stupidity/laziness is as valid a reason as malice.

Holy poo poo, I've never seen that before. It's like you can eternally shake the WCW tree and keep finding things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS