Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

It's very important that I explain why people who feel a certain way about a thing have incorrect feelings and are in fact secret Republicans who hate M4A.

I feel pretty comfortable saying that someone who decides not to support a presidential candidate because "they talk too loud" has, at best, pretty dumb political opinions.

If you want to understand where some of us are coming from, you need to understand that we actually view this topic as a very important one and consider Sanders an important advocate for the political issues we care about. Imagine if someone said they didn't like how loud a prominent civil rights activist was. You'd probably think "this person sucks, and is probably also a racist." At best, their opinion would communicate to you that they don't take the issue in question particularly seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Jaxyon posted:

For having mild distaste for a person they perceive as yelling too much, who they will probably vote for if he's the candidate?

Yeah, what terrible people, real scum of the earth poo poo.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1146332904877744128

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

For having mild distaste for a person they perceive as yelling too much, who they will probably vote for if he's the candidate?

I called em losers, not republicans. If you aren't getting mad at the state of the world, you're too goddamn privileged and can gently caress right off

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

L-O-N posted:

That sucks. He seemed like a good guy from his twitter.

He's also been accused of basically embezzling funds from his own organizations and charity projects:

quote:

King has been the target of claims that he has previously raised funds for causes that were never received by those he was fundraising for. According to BuzzFeed News, he founded an organization called Justice Together, which he raised several thousand dollars for, and then abruptly shuttered.[79] He started a different organization a few months later called Justice. That's All. that he also closed a few months after founding. In one case, a former member of the organization who asked to have donation returned said that King refused to refund her money.[80] An investigation done by Goldie Taylor of The Daily Beast detailed discrepancies in amounts raised for different charities such as a Haiti relief project, and in one case, starting a crowdfunding project for the family of Tamir Rice without their knowledge.[81] Activists on Twitter questioned if he took the $100,000 reward money for information that led to the arrest of the men who shot Jazmine Barnes.[78]

On January 15, 2019, King tweeted that he was pursuing legal action against social justice activists on Twitter who questioned his previous fundraisers.[78] His attorneys sent cease-and-desist letters to an unnamed number of people; one a young, Black, queer activist named Clarissa Brooks who stated in a response, "this was a heavy-handed and unnecessary act by someone claiming to be committed to justice and uplifting Black people."[78] David Dennis Jr. wrote in News One that the purpose of the cease-and-desist letters seemed to be "old-fashioned intimidation and forcible silencing."[82]

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Ytlaya posted:

I feel pretty comfortable saying that someone who decides not to support a presidential candidate because "they talk too loud" has, at best, pretty dumb political opinions.

I didn't even say people said they wouldn't support him. I said they didn't like an aspect of his personality.

quote:

If you want to understand where some of us are coming from, you need to understand that we actually view this topic as a very important one and consider Sanders an important advocate for the political issues we care about. Imagine if someone said they didn't like how loud a prominent civil rights activist was. You'd probably think "this person sucks, and is probably also a racist." At best, their opinion would communicate to you that they don't take the issue in question particularly seriously.

I've been a Sanders fan since before most people here could vote.

I've been following Warren since she was known for talking about household debt on Youtube.

I'm literally just saying that people should consider that some folks react badly to a dude yelling. It doesn't personally affect me. But I'm not the only viewpoint that exists.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

By which you mean you've spent years posting superficial, substance-free "critiques" of him and his movement.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

I'm literally just saying that people should consider that some folks react badly to a dude yelling. It doesn't personally affect me. But I'm not the only viewpoint that exists.

And we're saying that those folks reacting badly are self-centered assholes treating politics as a game instead of the war that it really is

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

Jaxyon posted:

Wait is it maybe a big issue and you can't tell or mild distaste and they'll vote for him if he's nominated?

Maybe the terrible person is you, using your friends as a foil to troll with the most insipid bullshit that gosh you just don't know if it's A Big Deal or not but these Bernie bro/stans/whatever are just so toxic!

If your "friends" actually exist I'm pretty sure they're far superior to you, ya disingenuous fuckwit. The world and politics as they are and this is the poo poo you care about. Impressive, you're really making a difference, guy who fronts real hard on the internet as being a good person.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Let’s face it, the whole “Bernie yells” thing isn’t even a real criticism. It’s finding an excuse to criticize someone you don’t like when you can’t criticize them on the merits of the argument.

Look at who started this whole loving thing: Tim Ryan

Now if he isn’t just the biggest loving hypocrite on earth, I don’t know who is. Skip to any point in this video and the dude is loving yelling AS HE SHOULD BE.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eT1ucETSySs

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

Yes, it is I, the secret Delaney-stan

Ironically--perhaps appropriately?--you have failed the literacy test for posting. It was a bullshit criterion at the time, but your weakness has grown into it.

Jaxyon posted:

I didn't even say

How about instead of saying what you didn't say, you say what you say. Free bonus: when you say what you say, you already said it and when you quote yourself saying it later it makes your argument for you.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Im actually posting right now from a hipster coffee shop and all the libs are whispering about how Bernie yells a lot.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

Okay, no, but for real:

are you seriously talking about politicians in terms of fandoms reserved for fictional characters?!?!

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

Jaxyon posted:

I've been following Warren since she was known for talking about household debt on Youtube.

Hahaha of course you roll out these lines. If somehow you aren't trolling you truly are the shallowest insufferable poo poo posting here.

Please tell us more of those who are not you that you're valiantly defending against Bernie yelling about inequality, corruption, and a decaying capitalist system that's just fine with mass suffering and death if there's profit in it. I mean you would know you were a fan of Bernie and Warren before it was cool and everyone was in diapers.

Yes yes, do go on.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Willie Tomg posted:

Okay, no, but for real:

are you seriously talking about politicians in terms of fandoms reserved for fictional characters?!?!

Most of politics is fandoms, though. If anime had been a thing in 1924, you would have had Zinoviev-chan and Trotsky-kun battling it out to be successors to Lenin-sempai while Stalin-sama, Kamenev-san and Bukharin-sensei were plotting in the background while trying hard to look like the rightful inheritors of Lenin-sempai's mantle. Wait, that's exactly what happened...

Parasocial relationships are as much a part of politics as they are of literally everything else.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
jaxyon people aren't yelling at you because they can't tolerate the slightest dissent, they are yelling at you because your criticisms are beyond petty and insubstantial.

What kind of response are you honestly expecting from people when you tell them some of your friends thought bernie's yelling was unpleasant?

"Oh, word? That's weird."

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Most of politics is fandoms, though. If anime had been a thing in 1924, you would have had Zinoviev-chan and Trotsky-kun battling it out to be successors to Lenin-sempai while Stalin-sama, Kamenev-san and Bukharin-sensei were plotting in the background while trying hard to look like the rightful inheritors of Lenin-sempai's mantle. Wait, that's exactly what happened...

Parasocial relationships are as much a part of politics as they are of literally everything else.

Right, but when you're bringing your abuse survivor friends into the conversation to try to weaponize them against a candidate, you don't get to play the "it's just a fandom!" card anymore.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Can't D&D even get concern trolls who actually put effort into trying not to seem like a concern troll anymore? "I've been a Bernie fan for 800 years!" is hilariously transparent.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

SKULL.GIF posted:

Can't D&D even get concern trolls who actually put effort into trying not to seem like a concern troll anymore? "I've been a Bernie fan for 800 years!" is hilariously transparent.

I miss the days of real troll posters, like Toblerone Triangular

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Majorian posted:

Right, but when you're bringing your abuse survivor friends into the conversation to try to weaponize them against a candidate, you don't get to play the "it's just a fandom!" card anymore.

i dunno, weaponization of abuse survivors to manage the discourse is a very fandom thing to do

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Jaxyon posted:

To be very clear, I think the fact that you idiots can't stop posting about me saying "oh yeah, I've heard people have an issue with his yelling" isn't because I think you're hiding a secret fear or motivation, and very much because you can't help but shout down anything at all that even sounds critical of your guy. Even if the person in question started out the conversation by saying "I don't know if it's a big deal".

Here's my original post for perspective.

the one who can't stop posting about it, is you.

i like to lurk this thread sometimes to see what more left-of-center people are thinking. you're making it unreadable. now that's it's obvious you have an axe to grind, please just post about what your main concern is

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Majorian posted:

Have you seen fandoms?

Anyway, this whole "Bernie is too loud" bit just kind of reeks of respectability politics. I understand the perspective, given that I'm someone who doesn't like loud, pushy people.. but in modern political discourse there is also an attempt to associate the loudness of activists with someone being uncouth, childish and naive (when in fact loudness can be a reflection of deadly earnestness and desperation).

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

The Glumslinger posted:

I miss the days of real troll posters, like Toblerone Triangular

I thought about doing a bit like that once and as I got into planning it out I could feel my brain reshaping so I stopped

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
https://twitter.com/eduardoauthor/status/1157077188434206721

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Harton posted:

This is exactly how I feel, Indiana is in desperate need of solid Democrats. He should be here focusing his time and efforts. I would actually excited to vote for him in Indiana. President makes zero sense right now, unless he plans on doing his 2 terms and then running for.....Indiana senate...?

That would never loving happen so that’s why this presidential run has tainted him in my mind. What’s his long game?

JQA was a very influential house representative and it's baffled me that none of the last three president's, all who left the job relatively young by today's standards have not gone into the senate where they could easily become a mover and shaker.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
are the libs itt defending gentrification again or what

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
there's a huge common theme in this thread and its bougie libs either arguing disingenuously, in bad faith, or defending poo poo like gentrification (and child concentration camps)

there's an equal chance every day that this thread is shitted up by one of the above three categories

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
A fun epilogue to Bernie and Warren's dunking of John Delaney.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Shugah/status/1156958727846682625

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Jaxyon posted:

It's very important that I explain why people who feel a certain way about a thing have incorrect feelings and are in fact secret Republicans who hate M4A.

Have you considered a career in film, because you're projecting like a motherfucker.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Phi230 posted:

there's a huge common theme in this thread and its bougie libs either arguing disingenuously, in bad faith, or defending poo poo like gentrification (and child concentration camps)

there's an equal chance every day that this thread is shitted up by one of the above three categories

Bernard Sanders is a shouty jew from Brooklyn and my white lady friends are having their PTSD triggered by him caring about people dying and stuff.

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

Charlz Guybon posted:

JQA was a very influential house representative and it's baffled me that none of the last three president's, all who left the job relatively young by today's standards have not gone into the senate where they could easily become a mover and shaker.

Why do that when you've worn the crown, etched your name in history, and can effortlessly spend the rest of your days in fabulous wealth and celebrity (moving and shaking for personal gain behind the scenes and no need to put on an act for the masses).

They're terrible selfish people who don't give a gently caress about the evil they've perpetuated and failed to even attempt to stop, and probably fool themselves into thinking they tried to do the best they could if they ever feel the pangs of conscience that.might risk a sleepless night.

It shouldn't surprise you, just like it shouldnt surprise you Trump can eke out a win in this broken system, or that a laughable number of dems want to be next at any cost as the world burns.

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

Double posted for emphasis, yeah thats what happened..

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

The Glumslinger posted:

I had a nice discussion with my dad over the weekend about why Biden isn't a good candidate and why policies that effect Gen X and Millenials and are important, and he refused to believe that it was good politics since young people dont vote. It was nice to be able to dig up this article.
https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/05/29/gen-z-millennials-and-gen-x-outvoted-older-generations-in-2018-midterms/

And show exactly why it is useful for political candidates to not target 100% of their policy at Boomers and Silents, and that maybe he should realize that Gen Xers are turning 40

The average gen X is 47-8

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

hobotrashcanfires posted:

Why do that when you've worn the crown, etched your name in history, and can effortlessly spend the rest of your days in fabulous wealth and celebrity (moving and shaking for personal gain behind the scenes and no need to put on an act for the masses).

They're terrible selfish people who don't give a gently caress about the evil they've perpetuated and failed to even attempt to stop, and probably fool themselves into thinking they tried to do the best they could if they ever feel the pangs of conscience that.might risk a sleepless night.

Anyone who has run for president, let a lone won is power hungry and an egomaniac. Maybe not a Trump level egomaniac, but pretty high up there.

Being a senator gives you a lot power and access to the media.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
The city of South Bend is /extremely online/. I first got on the internet in 1994. There are many goons from the area. Flagnet BBS - operating on commador 64 - hails back to the storied days of phone phreaking, and might even still be online today (I think they shut down dial-up a year or so back, I could hop in the FB group and ask). Michiana Skeptics dates back to the early aughts, and gathered a whole bunch of extremely online atheists, secular humanists and freethinkers since. Saint Joseph Public Library has been offering internet longer than any other US public library, and is kinda legendary for their early adoption of digital everything (I used their hackerspace to edit and upload the tens of thousands of shots I took in that city). Across the street from that library is a fake AT&T building that's been there forever, that nobody ever enters or leaves, and Mayor Pete was told he wasn't allowed to enter (:shhh!: it's NSA). When they ran the fiber across the country, they ran it along railroad berms. The civil war was arguably decided by the routes they laid the railroads, and South Bend is at a crossroads of major fiber on account of this history (gotta bend the train south of Lake Michigan to keep it maximally north). Kevin Smith turned the old Union Station into a 'carrier hotel' decades ago, and is expanding to build a massive server farm in the old studebaker Building 84. It's a tier-4 server farm. And Notre Dame's presence ensured that good powerful internet continued to be upgraded ahead of the curve out here - I worked at their hotel for a decade, using their fat pipe to do all my online stuff (like following this forum on 9/11 or watching 'the innocence of muslims' or encouraging #Marblecake to think about how we might support the Green Revolution in Iran)

The city has been largely catholic for a long time now, but the influence has almost entirely waned. There's still a 'women's care center' that stalks and harasses the abortion provider's office. There's pro-life rallies that parochial school kids are bussed in for. This is an area that supported Kennedy (and remember, Studebaker closed doors days after Kennedy was shot), listens to Santorum and Gingrich (I've met both, working at Notre Dame's hotel), and elects Donnelly. Old blue union town with connections to the chicago machine, who lost its major industry employer and then drifted into a vague college town (with a huge towns/gowns divide between South Bend and Notre Dame). I've seen a photo of a zeppelin with the nazi flag flying over the city. I've heard first-hand accounts from people who skipped school for Bobby Kennedy's visit, just before he got shot. I've been told the line around Notre Dame's basilica wrapped around the whole building, during the cuban missile crisis, as endless people lined up to give confession. There are many other faith traditions up here, including black churches led by people that marched with King and preach against homosexuality and a unitarian church that got firebombed in the 60's for their social justice work.

And this is the population that ran CoreCivic off frightened, when they tried to build a concentration camp here.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

AsInHowe posted:

A fun epilogue to Bernie and Warren's dunking of John Delaney.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Shugah/status/1156958727846682625

WHATS NEXT? FREE VACATIONS? WHERE DOES IT END? - smart man

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

Charlz Guybon posted:

Anyone who has run for president, let a lone won is power hungry and an egomaniac. Maybe not a Trump level egomaniac, but pretty high up there.

Being a senator gives you a lot power and access to the media.

Being an ex president who was poo poo and cozied up to powerful interests and protected them when you had real power gives you more. Not having to put on more than a perfunctory act for the masses anymore is just huge perk too. They still have a ton of power, it's just that none of it is derived from democracy.

If they actually gave a poo poo about fighting for the powerless and changing the world for the better, sure, remaining visibly in politics such as the senate makes sense. They didn't and they don't, even if they have to lie themselves to sleep about it, they also have an endless line of people begging to lie for them.

You're not wrong in the abstract, you just shouldn't be surprised at what this lot has done, they're telling you who they are and were.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Who the gently caress are all these newbies who don't know about Uglycat living the Anarchist dream?

Catching up on this thread and am just astounded at all the posters who are ignorant of it.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

hobotrashcanfires posted:

They still have a ton of power, it's just that none of it is derived from democracy.

If they actually gave a poo poo about fighting for the powerless and changing the world for the better, sure, remaining visibly in politics such as the senate makes sense. They didn't and they don't, even if they have to lie themselves to sleep about it, they also have an endless line of people begging to lie for them.

You're not wrong in the abstract, you just shouldn't be surprised at what this lot has done, they're telling you who they are and were.

That's not real power. They ain't writing the bills.

You don't have to give a poo poo about helping people to want power. You can want that power to hold back change and good things. Plenty of senators in the senate doing that right now. Bush would have been way more effective than Cruz at it.

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

Charlz Guybon posted:

That's not real power. They ain't writing the bills.

You don't have to give a poo poo about helping people to want power. You can want that power to hold back change and good things. Plenty of senators in the senate doing that right now. Bush would have been way more effective than Cruz at it.

Might lead one to conclude they're a pretty vain, feckless, unimaginative bunch who once they wore the crown of American empire now just want to live out in luxury and celebrity. Can't imagine how Trump is president or what happens if a truly evil poo poo who wants and knows how to wield power takes the throne.

I mean come on, all their actions as president and afterward that is exactly who they are. They wore the crown of the most powerful country on earth, did gently caress-all to make the world a better place, and now lie to themselves in fabulous wealth, luxury, and celebrity about what great people they are and how hard they tried to make america the best ever.

They can be treated like an emperor the rest of their lives with zero effort, and millions will love them for it. They really aren't particularly remarkable loving people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I hate Tulsi Gabbard but I respect her Chris Christie-ing against Kamala tbh.