Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My understanding is the entire epic scrapes your data for tencent thing was basically just made up by one dude on like resetera

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yeah it's total BS, it's just annoying to me to have to install yet another launcher, and I can wait a couple months for Outer Wilds and Tetris Effect.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Worrying about piracy? Amazing how poorly run small studios basically turn into big publishers in miniature.

At this point (and especially after Steam hosed me on a refund for a $60 game I played for 15 minutes), piracy is essentially Demo Mode these days.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
I pirate to demo these days myself. Regarding the ooblets thing. Some indie devs seem to have this weird disdain for the consumers that's extremely off putting.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Yeah it's total BS, it's just annoying to me to have to install yet another launcher, and I can wait a couple months for Outer Wilds and Tetris Effect.

At this point (and especially after Steam hosed me on a refund for a $60 game I played for 15 minutes), piracy is essentially Demo Mode these days.

GoG apparently has a nested supermultilauncher. I haven't used it, I bet it sucks.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

all the complaints about the epic launcher seem kinda lame to me. Just doubleclick another program. I don't believe anybody getting moral about tencent or whatever. It takes next to no effort.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

epic is ok but origin is not

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Caesar Saladin posted:

all the complaints about the epic launcher seem kinda lame to me. Just doubleclick another program. I don't believe anybody getting moral about tencent or whatever. It takes next to no effort.

as a dev it's a concern for me, i don't want people to have to shoulder that poo poo if it's really a thing. same reason that i'll pay for the full version of unity when i'm ready to do a launch build, i don't want players to have my game phoning home to unity's servers reporting their system specs and you can't disable that build-side unless you have a pro license.

it's my responsibility to anyone who plays it. no end user should have to walk around me

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

as a dev it's a concern for me, i don't want people to have to shoulder that poo poo if it's really a thing. same reason that i'll pay for the full version of unity when i'm ready to do a launch build, i don't want players to have my game phoning home to unity's servers reporting their system specs and you can't disable that build-side unless you have a pro license.

it's my responsibility to anyone who plays it. no end user should have to walk around me

I think that as an indie dev nobody should blame you if you chose to go for an exclusivity deal with a certain launcher, especially one that is linked to Fortnite, because its a rough market out there and its a much better option than dropping your game in the steam pile to die. People actually get mad at indie devs though.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Sins of a Solar Empire is not much better than Conquest: Frontier Wars

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Caesar Saladin posted:

I think that as an indie dev nobody should blame you if you chose to go for an exclusivity deal with a certain launcher, especially one that is linked to Fortnite, because its a rough market out there and its a much better option than dropping your game in the steam pile to die. People actually get mad at indie devs though.

The only thing that pisses me off is when people lash out over it. Metro Exodus is the best game of 2019 imo and took a ton of online flak and bad user reviews because of the Epic store deal. Something the dev wasn't even aware of until shortly before the game came out. Just such a bullshit reason to dogpile on a game that was already an underdog to begin with.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Remember Games for Windows Live

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I do, and its back in subscription form

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I literally had to modify the files and crack my legally-purchased copy of Bulletstorm because of Windows Live (not existing anymore)

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

StarMinstrel posted:

people reaaaaally like to role-play as big corporations. it's amazing sometimes when you discuss with two man teams that write emails as if they're being sent by their PR department.
somehow they roleplay every aspect except meeting milestones

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

StarMinstrel posted:

people reaaaaally like to role-play as big corporations. it's amazing sometimes when you discuss with two man teams that write emails as if they're being sent by their PR department.

It's like that Ed Edd n Eddy episode where Eddy runs a jawbreaker bank out of a cardboard box, or basically half of Eddy's schemes

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

The only thing that pisses me off is when people lash out over it. Metro Exodus is the best game of 2019 imo and took a ton of online flak and bad user reviews because of the Epic store deal. Something the dev wasn't even aware of until shortly before the game came out. Just such a bullshit reason to dogpile on a game that was already an underdog to begin with.

Ahh yes the small mom and pop Metro! Oh only 3 I thought it was more. Still not exactly small. I think companies should sell their products and people should buy the ones that are good. I'm certainly one of those people who are very reluctant to buy anything that isn't on Steam even though Steam is garbage. Sorry companies I don't want fifty launchers/accounts.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 2, 2019

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I got really bored of Metro Exodus. I thought I was going to like but I really didn't. It was just dull

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Duck and Cover posted:

Ahh yes the small mom and pop Metro! Oh only 3 I thought it was more. Still not exactly small. I think companies should sell their products and people should buy the ones that are good. I'm certainly one of those people who are very reluctant to buy anything that isn't on Steam even though Steam is garbage. Sorry companies I don't want fifty launchers/accounts.

So you think it's cool to try and ruin a game/developers reputation, because you don't want to download some poo poo for whatever reason? That's petty as hell.

I don't think that's what you were saying, but otherwise it's not even really relevant to my post so I dunno.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Oh no, helpless before gamer rage

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

flippping out over all the account launchers i need, i can't keep track of all three of them

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

So you think it's cool to try and ruin a game/developers reputation, because you don't want to download some poo poo for whatever reason? That's petty as hell.

I don't think that's what you were saying, but otherwise it's not even really relevant to my post so I dunno.

I think them doing something lovely and gamers responding makes sense. Hey guys we're going to go exclusive we know it doesn't benefit you in any way but please don't give negative reviews because of it! Personally I'm just less likely to buy/try your game if you do that poo poo.

Caesar Saladin posted:

flippping out over all the account launchers i need, i can't keep track of all three of them

I also don't want to sign up for Hulu, Amazon prime, Netflix, Hidive, HBO Prime etc.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

all main final fantasy games are boring and the story of every single final fantasy game, including offshoots, is bad

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

a7m2 posted:

all main final fantasy games are boring and the story of every single final fantasy game, including offshoots, is bad

Chocobo Racing is a thing that exists. Now I don't remember if it was all that good but it has chocobo in the title so it can't be bad.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I don't mind the additional launchers except they are all terribly written. I think half the rage the epic one cops is because compared to steam it's absolute dogshit, similar with uplay, origin, etc.

If you made me start steam + another steam-like interface I wouldn't care but it's "have steam running, and also, run this horribly inefficient electron app"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

People hated Steam when it was new and Valve actually made efforts to make it useful for something, Steam but worse just brings back all the old complaints.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Untapped market for a launcher to run launchers coming over the horizon.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

Flannelette posted:

https://www.gogalaxy.com/en/

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Flannelette posted:

problem is they are all client apps so the net affect of this is similar to that with uplay games on steam, i.e you click on the steam interface, uplay comes up logs in, then the game launches from uplay

the ideal solution is something like gogalaxy (linked above) with some buy-in from the vendors like Steam by building a very cut down client API, so even if technically you are "running steam" (or uplay, or origin) you don't notice or care.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I don't understand the Epic store hate either, and for the record I think Epic is poo poo. I just don't understand why people are soiling their Depends over having to launch a different app... and/or maybe that app taking up more resources- I can't speak for you guys but I played Metro Exodus for many hours and for me the performance hit was negligible. Does it bog you down if you have a terrible computer or something?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
part of the problem with this very specific situation is that the devs are handling it really badly. but :munch: af if you want to see a PR meltdown reaching critical mass in under 24 hours

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's fun when poorly run small studios manage to have all the problems of small business and big business at the same time

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

People hated Steam when it was new and Valve actually made efforts to make it useful for something, Steam but worse just brings back all the old complaints.

It's this, if the user experience is competent and not a hassle then people won't care about having multiple launchers. No one cares that you have to go to Twitch for some things, Youtube for others, etc. because the user experience crosses the good-enough threshold for it to not matter. People grumble about video streaming because they don't want to pay for multiple services, but the services themselves are fine.

Uplay is a pile of poo poo. Epic is a pile of poo poo. If these launchers were less deliberately obtrusive and started offering a better shopping experience then I might deign to leave them installed or even use them during a big sale. Even now Steam isn't that good, it's just king of the turds

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I'm glad Epic is causing PC gamers to get extra butthurt caremad when they could just buy a ps4 and live in gaming nirvana like me

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

It's true that idiocy is bliss

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

PC gamers love getting butthurt, they thrive on it, every opportunity to get mad about something they drag out for years, while console gamers are too busy laughing and gaming

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Its true that idiocy is bliss

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

the ps4 store and hell the entire interface is worse than even the shittiest pc game launcher

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Consoles have all the worst parts of PC gaming now.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Consoles are literally just computers

They are the same thing. The exact same thing! You can have a controller for your PC. A PS4 or Xbox controller if you want

You can plug your PC into your tv with a single cable

theres no difference

(except the pc is better of course)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Consoles and pcs are both great. Can't play dota on the ps4, can't play god of war on pc.