Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Clarste posted:

Supports are far more important than stats for recruiting. You're better off spending time getting support levels with them than training skills or raising stats, although you do need at least a little skill, I guess.

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure it's a sliding scale based on total support points rather than the requirements shooting down at specific support ranks. I had to do some unfortunate loading at some point requiring me to replay an entire month, and I managed to recruit Lysithea with no support conversation at like 10 Mag and a C in Faith. But I know she was close to C rank, since I'd been feeding her gifts and had already recruited her at C rank before I loaded.

Honestly, B support will net you anyone even if your skill is dogshit. I mean you can be lucky and get people before that if you DO have the skills and some characters it takes a while to get B support with (they're locked behind specific chapters) but I'd still aim that way.

The best thing to do is take them for meals every time you can and shower them with gifts. Loads of characters will accept flowers for example even if they don't absolutely love them.

Oh and if you're focusing on a specific character then cooking with them is a good idea. Even if they're not great at it, it still gives the buff and raises relations.

Also, spoiler for Black Eagles as the timeskip starts.
I'd call going with Edelgard the default option, I can't imagine telling her to get lost. It'd be interesting to see the stats on that. Same goes for not going with her to be crowned, why wouldn't you?

And then death knight spoilers, related to the same story and same point in it.
When he comes with you and you don't get any explanation of who he is it's kinda disappointing. I do have the necessary characters to get that bit of story which is nice but it'd really suck to miss out because it feels so strange without it. Not a 'can't get everything' moment and a 'Why did you leave that out?' moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Clarste posted:

Explore is almost always the best option, and only becomes more best as your professor levels go up. You basically want to battle as few times as necessary to complete the paralogues (and maybe picking up rusted weapons from monsters, I guess), and seminars are useless.

The paralogues are special quests right, not those "optional : kill those bandits" reward gold ?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Kurtofan posted:

The paralogues are special quests right, not those "optional : kill those bandits" reward gold ?

Yeah, Paralogues are full missions with with plot and stuff. I think you get them just from having the right people in your house at the right times, but maybe there are some with more specific requirements. They're marked with green exclamation marks on the calendar.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Clarste posted:

Yeah, Paralogues are full missions with with plot and stuff. I think you get them just from having the right people in your house at the right times, but maybe there are some with more specific requirements. They're marked with green exclamation marks on the calendar.

Cool thanks.

So is it better to spend time with students from other houses during free time ? To recruit them I mean.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

Cool thanks.

So is it better to spend time with students from other houses during free time ? To recruit them I mean.

Yes.
You get loads of extra opportunities to get relations with your own house.

It's nice to build motivation with your students but I basically exclusively spend time with other students until they're recruited.

Seminars aren't useless but I barely ever do them. If you play online you'll see a lot of people do them on week three (so it's like Explore, Battle, Seminar) but since I don't play online I feel less pressured to do it. My girlfriend does and it means the way she plays changes because of peer pressure. It's interesting, I think.
Also it was interesting to see the list of "characters who people give the most gifts to" with the 'sexy ladies' like Dorothea and Petra up top but number 1 being Cyril for some reason. Every other person in the list was a woman, but he's there at number 1.

Taear fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Aug 2, 2019

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Taear posted:

Also it was interesting to see the list of "characters who people give the most gifts to" with the 'sexy ladies' like Dorothea and Petra up top but number 1 being Cyril for some reason. Every other person in the list was a woman, but he's there at number 1.
That was probably the month where a quest is to gift him an item

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Does carrying multiple weapons in your inventory mean their cumulative weight is counted against you? Or does it only factor a single weapons’s weight into each attack when you choose the weapon for the attack?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Megasabin posted:

Does carrying multiple weapons in your inventory mean their cumulative weight is counted against you? Or does it only factor a single weapons’s weight into each attack when you choose the weapon for the attack?

Only the weapon you're actually using for the attack

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I suppose I'm asking for spoilers, but its related to how I want to spend the rest of my time leading up to it. People keep talking about the route split in beagles. I get that chaos means fuk da church and go full no gods no masters with edelgard, but does the other route entail just kicking her out of your party? Do I want to bother wasting my time leveling and supporting her if she'll just leave if I don't want to stab everyone and anyone?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Drakenel posted:

I suppose I'm asking for spoilers, but its related to how I want to spend the rest of my time leading up to it. People keep talking about the route split in beagles. I get that chaos means fuk da church and go full no gods no masters with edelgard, but does the other route entail just kicking her out of your party? Do I want to bother wasting my time leveling and supporting her if she'll just leave if I don't want to stab everyone and anyone?

The other route involves her and Hubert leaving for the rest of the game. So if you want to go on that route keep it in mind.

Also if you do chose to go with Edelgard, Flayn leaves so you might want to backburner her if you go the Edelgard route

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Drakenel posted:

This is a spoiler related to the black eagles questlines.
Please people, note it or you'll get too many people scared to read it!

Yea, like Zore said she's absolutely gone if you don't help her. She's hard to bench and I bet if reddit did a little thing asking about that choice 70% of people probably chose Chaos with Edelgard rather than Stability with Rhea

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Ya know after fates never once engaged with Corrin being a dragon in the story, I really appreciate how (month 12 spoiler) byleths literal first reaction to jeralt dying is to Divine pulse

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I've changed my mind, Hilda rules, Ignatz is sensitive guy that one shots people but is sorry about it, Lorenz is a great unit but he still sucks, come on dude, I talked to you about being a creep to girls.

Stats talk, is there a reason to pick any other class than the one that gives you the biggest stat boost? I wanted to make Hilda a Brigand from a Pegasus Knight but she drops a lot in stats.

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Aug 2, 2019

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

That conversation was incredible.

Me: You're harassing female students on an unprecedented scale.
Lorry: Nah it's all good, they love it.
Me: :shrug:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I see a lot of complaints about Lorentz but where are the Sylvain complains? You're all biased to pretty boys.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Honest Thief posted:

I've changed my mind, Hilda rules, Ignatz is sensitive guy that one shots people but is sorry about it, Lorenz is a great unit but he still sucks, come on dude, I talked to you about being a creep to girls.

Stats talk, is there a reason to pick any other class than the one that gives you the biggest stat boost? I wanted to make Hilda a Brigand from a Pegasus Knight but she drops a lot in stats.

Movement and movement type is a huge thing. For example, while a pegasus knight may be a little weaker, they also get 6 move and can fly over everything.

Different classes have different innate abilities too, such as improving the damage of certain weapon types. And only some of them can use magic, of course.

Also, you get more skill experience for using weapons that a class is good at.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Tired Moritz posted:

I see a lot of complaints about Lorentz but where are the Sylvain complains? You're all biased to pretty boys.

He takes no for an answer, is less creepy about it (still creepy) and also he's actually nice in later interactions.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Clarste posted:

Movement and movement type is a huge thing. For example, while a pegasus knight may be a little weaker, they also get 6 move and can fly over everything.

Different classes have different innate abilities too, such as improving the damage of certain weapon types. And only some of them can use magic, of course.

Also, you get more skill experience for using weapons that a class is good at.
The thing is Hilda as a Peg Knight has way better stats than a brigand, I'm making her into a flying axe warrior to train her into a wyvern knight but then noticed that as a Peg axes aren't that great. I figured a Brigand would at least be a tank powerhouse.

Tired Moritz posted:

I teach only Lorentz but while both are out to get some Sylvain seems more relaxed since he probably gets some on the side. While Lorentz just creeps everyone out.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

How far in are you supposed to start successfully recruiting people? I've had no luck so far but I'm only at chapter 5.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

How far in are you supposed to start successfully recruiting people? I've had no luck so far but I'm only at chapter 5.

Some characters you can get to B quite fast - my girlfriend had recruited Bernadetta by Chapter 5. Others it takes longer.

You've got a decent amount of time - this is a spoiler for when part one ends February is the cutoff.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Steve2911 posted:

Other than a few you get for free at certain points in the story, you really have to make an effort to recruit people, by giving them gifts or eating with them in the dining hall. If you ignore them and just focus on raising your stats and skills, you'll get almost no one.

That said, you can easily start recruiting people before chapter 5 if you know what you're doing.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
Reading this thread, I really regret doing meals to boost motivation of students Byleth already has, or that one 'rest' option I picked "just to check".

Ah well, let's hope it's not too late to mass recruit :(

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Arkeus posted:

Reading this thread, I really regret doing meals to boost motivation of students Byleth already has, or that one 'rest' option I picked "just to check".

If you've unlocked the gift merchant, buy everything and gift bomb whoever you want. 4-6 is usually enough to get you to support C in my experience? That'll make recruitment much easier.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Arkeus posted:

It's not like you are going to use those units anyway.

The story works better if you are fighting people who aren't just nameless monks imo

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Tired Moritz posted:

With Sylvain, (spoilers for his B support with Mercedes) he's doing it to actively make himself as unappealing as possible because his whole life, people have wanted him only for his crest. That said, I don't give him that much of a pass given you find him in the midst of arguing with a girl he cheated on in a different support.

Also

Andrast posted:

It's not like you are going to use those units anyway.

The story works better if you are fighting people who aren't just nameless monks imo

I'm not to the time skip yet, but one of the reasons I haven't bothered busting my rear end to get everyone is exactly this. I'm fine with just the two that I got.

Wes Warhammer fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Aug 2, 2019

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I only had about an hour to play last which was exactly enough for me to gently caress up the starting mission, redo it, and meet up with Edelgard at the school. Unfortunately for her, before arriving at the school Claude won me over when he called out Edelgard and Dimitri for falling all over me after the first battle.

I like that in combat each unit has an icon to indicate their weapon type... although now that the weapons triangle is gone how important is that information?

Finally, I can't stop lol'ing at male Byleth's goofy coat sleeves that he doesn't use.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Just started chapter 9 24 hours in on my BE run, Im only missing Marianne, Ashe, Lorenz and Leonie from my pokemon collection of gfs and bfs. Hopefully some soare time before the time skip will help get them last second.

Stealing everyone from the blue lions is going to make this funny. I dont think Im going to do this next game run though.

Is Hilda actually recruitable?

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Any way to keep Lord Rodriguez alive in Edlegard playthrough? I feel kinda bad for forcing poor Felix to kill his pops.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Just started chapter 9 24 hours in on my BE run, Im only missing Marianne, Ashe, Lorenz and Leonie from my pokemon collection of gfs and bfs. Hopefully some soare time before the time skip will help get them last second.

Stealing everyone from the blue lions is going to make this funny. I dont think Im going to do this next game run though.

Is Hilda actually recruitable?

Hilda is a mystery. As a BE I got all her lost items but had no option to give them to her.
Other people have said you can recruit her as a BE and give her those items, but I got my support up to B and still never got the chance.

I'm going to go with "The answer is no but maybe it's tied to one of the BIG GAME DECISIONS that it gives you". You can absolutely recruit her as a Blue Lion though, it just treats her normally there.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Is there a way to take a certification exam if you've started an exploration day?

Hubert may be staring at me and tapping his "monk" class meaningfully (lv 18)

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Nessus posted:

Is there a way to take a certification exam if you've started an exploration day?

Hubert may be staring at me and tapping his "monk" class meaningfully (lv 18)

nope certification exams are only available before you actually do anything for the day

like in the past few chapters i've been doing paralogues and getting my units to level 20, but when i'm still out there and have an activity point left for fighting, i can't stop and promote anyone

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Tired Moritz posted:

They're both cool and if you recruit both it's good support convos.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013

Radio Free Kobold posted:

I know, right? It's the best. Like, his C-rank support with Byleth is basically him subtlely threatening to have you killed if you gently caress with Edelgard. He's like a medieval spymaster. I bet he secretly enjoys it, too.

im only on chapter 7 but im pretty sure the post chapter 6 scene with him and edelgard was him basically saying "ok i have to kill byleth now"

also the flame emperor has a funny voice

Charlie Bobson fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Aug 2, 2019

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Hey, a tip for some early gold if you're using the online features: you can snag a high-quality item that you're not yet able to buy from one of the Travelers, like a Master Seal, and post it on your Traveler. Leave it up for a few hours and it'll make a shitload of money. I just got 21k for leaving some Umbral Steel up for about six hours while I ran errands.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Are the golden and rainbow fish used for anything special or can I just sell them?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Megasabin posted:

Are the golden and rainbow fish used for anything special or can I just sell them?

They make a meal that'll give everyone on your team +1 in a bunch of stats for the month, but I think the gold is more useful.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
i want to start new games for blue lions and golden deer RIGHT NOW somebody stop me

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Charlie Bobson posted:

i want to start new games for blue lions and golden deer RIGHT NOW somebody stop me

I finished golden deer and went straight into lions. Game owns I love it. I think my canon run will be deer, I loved them so much and Claude is just great.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Charlie Bobson posted:

im only on chapter 7 but im pretty sure the post chapter 6 scene with him and edelgard was him basically saying "ok i have to kill byleth now"

also the flame emperor has a funny voice

In English the Flame Emperor sounds absolutely bizzare but they're not like that at all in Japanese.

The same kinda applies for Ingrid. For the most part the same sort of speech pattern is replicated in both languages but Ingrid and the Flame Emperor are really different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Wait, do the Blue and Red arrows from activities only indicate how much motivation the student receives? The number of support points is the same?