Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

RatHat posted:

In the Vivre card databooks Mother Carmel is only listed as "missing"

history is written by the victors!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
Also seems to confirm that King isn't a human, though, and him and Queen are both huge. Like, significantly bigger than Whitebeard. Oda's really good at cliffhangers and this is definitely one of his crazier ones.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
So she’s missing three races, Giant’s, Skypieans and “one lost to time”. Wonder what that last one is.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

the big D's!!

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Everyone is sleeping on the fact that Franky just casually rolls out on a horse with a tiger's head and Robin just blasting Brooke for being a skeleton with no body heat

Also, what are the other two races that aren't in Big Mom's crew (Besides whatever King is)? Skypedian in one we haven't seen yet, Giants are almost definitely there.

The last panel where the sky splitting is a throwback to when Whitebeard and Shanks had a disagreement way back when. Both crews commented on it but we didn't see a real clash, so this must be what happens when two super heavyweights Haki start to clash against each other. It makes me believe that Shanks isn't a happy go lucky good guy and he said something that really pissed Whitebeard off, possibly why he's in reviere talking to the shadow government.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

RatHat posted:

In the Vivre card databooks Mother Carmel is only listed as "missing"

if she's still alive wouldn't that make her like 140

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think the idea with Brook is that he looks like a horrible ghost that no one wants to even acknowledge lest they become targets of his wrath.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

U-DO Burger posted:

if she's still alive wouldn't that make her like 140

Kureha's 141 so it's not like that'd be impossible.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

Real Cool Catfish posted:

So she’s missing three races, Giant’s, Skypieans and “one lost to time”. Wonder what that last one is.

The giant hat people obvs, unbeknownst to her the government keeps one in suspended animation (like Akira).

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

is it messed up big mom basically quoted brook from when they clashed?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Seems maybe kinda fitting, since Brook is kinda a worthy foe for her and also one of her few peers in her age group, along implicitly with Kaido.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm guessing that this will end with Big Mom and Kaido remembering the good old days and deciding to team up for a scrap for old times sake, because regardless of Kaido's strength, so far everything is basically going to plan for the allied forces, as Kin'emon confirmed this chapter, and it wouldn't be Oda (or shonen in general) if a massive wrench wasn't suddenly thrown into everything and the stakes raised.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

if the fighting doesn't split the island, the post-fight loving will

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PĂƒÂ„DOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'm guessing that this will end with Big Mom and Kaido remembering the good old days and deciding to team up for a scrap for old times sake, because regardless of Kaido's strength, so far everything is basically going to plan for the allied forces, as Kin'emon confirmed this chapter, and it wouldn't be Oda (or shonen in general) if a massive wrench wasn't suddenly thrown into everything and the stakes raised.

Like I said a few weeks ago, the situation seemed way too smooth, and Kaido has too few named commanders for a massive battle.

BM and Kaido means Luffy needs more allies, though. Grand Fleet? Fujitora showing up? A Katakuri-led splinter faction of the BM pirates? The Revolutionaries? All of the above?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Please stop, I can only get so erect.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

RealFoxy posted:

Everyone is sleeping on the fact that Franky just casually rolls out on a horse with a tiger's head and Robin just blasting Brooke for being a skeleton with no body heat

Also, what are the other two races that aren't in Big Mom's crew (Besides whatever King is)? Skypedian in one we haven't seen yet, Giants are almost definitely there.

The last panel where the sky splitting is a throwback to when Whitebeard and Shanks had a disagreement way back when. Both crews commented on it but we didn't see a real clash, so this must be what happens when two super heavyweights Haki start to clash against each other. It makes me believe that Shanks isn't a happy go lucky good guy and he said something that really pissed Whitebeard off, possibly why he's in reviere talking to the shadow government.

I forget, was there a Fishman among Big Mom's crew? Unless Jinbei counted in that regard in which case that'd probably be one of the races she needs now.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Larryb posted:

I forget, was there a Fishman among Big Mom's crew? Unless Jinbei counted in that regard in which case that'd probably be one of the races she needs now.

Katakuri is half-Fishman, so even without Jinbei or his crew anymore she should still be good there. And Fishman are relatively common, it'd be strange if she didn't have some random fishmen citizens somewhere along her many islands. Especially since Fishman Island used to be one of her islands.

I think the ones she needs are a Dwarf, as someone mentioned before, a Giant, because Elbaf hates her, and then whatever King is, who seems to be the last of his kind.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

gnome7 posted:

Katakuri is half-Fishman, so even without Jinbei or his crew anymore she should still be good there. And Fishman are relatively common, it'd be strange if she didn't have some random fishmen citizens somewhere along her many islands. Especially since Fishman Island used to be one of her islands.

I think the ones she needs are a Dwarf, as someone mentioned before, a Giant, because Elbaf hates her, and then whatever King is, who seems to be the last of his kind.

As far as Giants go, wouldn't Big Mom herself technically count in that regard?

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PĂƒÂ„DOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Larryb posted:

As far as Giants go, wouldn't Big Mom herself technically count in that regard?

No, she's explicitly a very oversized human, not a giant.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Tolth posted:

No, she's explicitly a very oversized human, not a giant.

Ah, nevermind then.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

gnome7 posted:

Katakuri isn't half-fishman, unless Daifuku and Oven are, too, and I don't see it. Big Mom has a mermaid daughter that ran away with Jinbei's crew so that counts anyway.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I always imagined Oven and Katakuri as Kaidou's kids.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Grouchio posted:

I always imagined Oven and Katakuri as Kaidou's kids.

I've seen theories about that and it makes sense as they seem to match in physical resemblance to him and are both strong as hell.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Uruoge was a very public Skypean so King is likely not one if he's regarded as the last of his kind

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I wonder if King is from Enel's sky island, his wings look like the kind that the Enel priests (and Urouge) have

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Oh hey, we going back to the rest of the gang now! Been a little bit. Haha those wanted posters are great. Wait, Law would totally just kill his own crew to kill Hawkins? I dunno if he was bluffing and Hawkins fell for it, but it totally fuckin worked. Either way, ice fuckin cold, Law. Holy poo poo, the Usopp and Robin faces. I also love Brook just floatin' on by. Oh gently caress, Kaido's crew is feeding Big Mom? Are they gunna try to team up with her or something? Oh wait, King is an extinct race?! I wonder what it is... OH gently caress KAIDO IS LETTING BIG MOM OUT OF THE SEASTONE SHACKLES! Is this gunna be a big showdown?! OH gently caress IT IS AAAAAAAAAAAA

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 2, 2019

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>
#include <SaberToothed_Tiger.h>
#include <Tyrannosaurus.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice
Hm... honestly, makes me wonder if the lost race isn't some sort of dragon.
But I'm a fan of the theory that's Kaido being a dragon that ate some sort of Oni devil, so might just be wanting something to support that.

Also, chat about Weevil made me realise that the little catch up with Moria and Blackbeard earlier kinda works against a popular theory with him; that he was something Moria had stitched together and taken control off.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Came up before, and yeah, the father and species of Big Mom's oldest kids isn't confirmed but she and Kaido do have history together from early on in her pirate career, and Katakuri's childhood is specifically shown to be when Big Mom's family didn't scare everyone shitless yet. (Although now they bully each other plenty instead) And we've had a lot of reveals lately that are pretty obvious if you look at the implications. Also Big Mom does seem to be kind of a skank.

Random note; Boa Hancock was previously believed to be a candidate for most powerful woman in the One Piece world, but I think so far Big Mom claims that title handily. Not sure they have a lot in common, in fact they're almost opposites... well, aside from being dangerously childish because they've got pretty big mental problems portrayed in sometimes surprisingly realistic ways. (Hancock basically acts like a bratty princess as a queen and a smitten teenage girl around Luffy... and going into even the slightest implications about her backstory probably means she has has reasons for her arrested development that we do not need to go into detail about)

Big Mom specifically said King is apparently of a race that was 'erased from history', though I dunno how literal that translation is, maybe it has something to do with the Void Century?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
King isn't from the race erased from history, he's from the "third" that she doesn't have already. So it is Giants, King's Race (probably Skypeians or whatever the ones with wings are?) and the erased from history one.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
is Kappa a race?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

tbp posted:

King isn't from the race erased from history, he's from the "third" that she doesn't have already. So it is Giants, King's Race (probably Skypeians or whatever the ones with wings are?) and the erased from history one.

Maybe the JB translation is bad but the line in that is "One of those was supposedly extinguished from history itself...but you are alive and standing here!"

The MS translation is slightly more ambiguous but in either case it seems odd to transition from talking about a dead race to then specifically pointing out that King is alive. Like if he's just a skypean, then yeah no poo poo he's alive, a bunch of them are.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

No Wave posted:

is Kappa a race?

Fishman, I think.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

king is deffo from the foregone race

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>
#include <SaberToothed_Tiger.h>
#include <Tyrannosaurus.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

Guy A. Person posted:

Maybe the JB translation is bad but the line in that is "One of those was supposedly extinguished from history itself...but you are alive and standing here!"

The MS translation is slightly more ambiguous but in either case it seems odd to transition from talking about a dead race to then specifically pointing out that King is alive. Like if he's just a skypean, then yeah no poo poo he's alive, a bunch of them are.

Aye, that was the implication I took from it; makes for a good backstory of who is meant to be the strongest member of Kaido's crew as well.

Still, could just be odd translation.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
give king a senor pink quality backstory please

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I lol'd hard at Usopp and Robin's "disguises" with Brook "haunting" them. Robin's face reminds me of something you'd see on r/PrettyGirlsUglyFaces.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
the faces are remarkably close to their HAA? faces

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

as completely bullshit as it would have been, I was kinda expecting big mom to break the chains and one shot king after he refused to join

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's quite likely that Kaido thinks that Big Mom might be one of the few people in the world with a chance at killing him. And even if not, it's probably easier to fight her himself than get even more of his manpower and material destroyed fruitlessly going against her, even moreso than the inevitable Kaiju battle that's about to ensue.

Comedy option, which you never know in this manga: Kaido and Big Mom end up rekindling their romance and realise basically all of their lives since their old days together has been one big mistake, and elope, abandoning their empires. Luffy officiates their marriage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Looking forward to the King face reveal.